I'd definitely be a fan of wave starts at runDisney races. Gives me more time to wait in pre-race character lines while the earlier corrals are headed to the start :).

But in all seriousness ... I just did a race that had 11,000+ finishers. So about rD 5K/10K size, right? They had the wave 1 and wave 2 corrals separated, and everything was fine ... and I didnt even show up until wave 1 corrals were starting.
I dont know that it would help with the on-couse character stops, because those long lines come from accumulation of people, but it'll definitely help with pre-race porta potty lines.

You don't have to be in your corral at the very start of the race, no matter what the race guide says. I aim to walk into my corral about when corral B is starting. This gives me five minutes or so to ditch my sweats, tie my shoes, and get ready to run. Yes, getting there earlier gives you a position closer to the front of your corral and is less stressful if you stress out over this sort of thing, but it's not required.

Today Disney just rolled out a crazy ambitious ticket system that you need a PhD to understand.
I think it's pretty simple actually. I was expecting it to be confusing and I find it straight foward easy to understand. Of course I'm glad I've got my AP already.

As for corrals nobody wants to be in Corral Z, so fewer corrals make it sound better at least. I don't know, but I can't see them changing the way they do it anytime soon.

I think it's pretty simple actually. I was expecting it to be confusing and I find it straight foward easy to understand. Of course I'm glad I've got my AP already.

As for corrals nobody wants to be in Corral Z, so fewer corrals make it sound better at least. I don't know, but I can't see them changing the way they do it anytime soon.
You haven’t ventured into the TPAS board then ;)

While it’s simple to just purchase a new ticket there are still dozens of questions about upgrading, modifying and much more.

You don't have to be in your corral at the very start of the race, no matter what the race guide says. I aim to walk into my corral about when corral B is starting. This gives me five minutes or so to ditch my sweats, tie my shoes, and get ready to run. Yes, getting there earlier gives you a position closer to the front of your corral and is less stressful if you stress out over this sort of thing, but it's not required.

True. But I think a lot of people dont know that (I didnt my first race), and having formally announced separate start times would probably help people who are new to rD and maybe haven't done large races before so they dont know that the last corral doesnt start until an hour after the announced start time (I still feel like a rD newbie most days, so I tend to look at things from the newbie perspective).

Also ... do they still do character pictures in the pre-race area after the race starts? Because for me that can be a game changer ... if I can show up later and still get my pre-race pictures, I'd be okay being further back in my corral.

Also ... do they still do character pictures in the pre-race area after the race starts? Because for me that can be a game changer ... if I can show up later and still get my pre-race pictures, I'd be okay being further back in my corral.
They usually tend to cut them off right around race start to make people go to the corrals but there are times too that they have been out after races start.

I saved $5.44 total by buying my 3-day parkhopper tickets last night. (would be more if I had added the flex day thing.) What can I buy at Disney for $5.44?
The good thing is that since my Dad will be buying tix too, just not sure on three or two days for him...at least I know he will not be seeing an insane increase. It would appear that they believe that marathon weekend isn't going to be as high-season as the previous weekend, but still a little higher than the remainder of the month.

NOTE: this screen grab is only for someone looking at 3-day parkhopper with no flex dates.
View attachment 358789

That's one bucket of popcorn! (Also known as my favorite snack at Disney!) popcorn::

Would it make any sense at all for Disney to have two back to back start times for the front portion and the back portion with different "you must be in your corral by" times to eliminate the insane waits for the back of the packers ORRRRRR does that not matter because people will still want to get in the corrals early to get better access to picture stops and more cushion from the sweepers???

If the start-finish of the corrals was the same (5:30am to 6:30am) then I don't see it making much of a difference. As @FFigawi points out, even with the current system you're not really required to show up early. There is just a certain time they claim in the guide as a time you need to be in by (5:00am? if memory serves me correct). If you want to show up later, as long as the buses are running (or you have your own transportation), then you can show up later. But to advertise that could get a bit tricky. Are any of the roads used for traffic to bring runners in majorly impacted by the start of the M/HM? I know the exit is for the 5k/10k.

One way you could further disperse the crowds and potentially have a second start that was slightly delayed (like Chicago where they encourage you to show up later) is to either move the current start earlier (5:30am to 5:00am) or move the end of the corrals to later (6:30am to 7:00am). I would guess a lot of runners wouldn't want to see an earlier start time. I'd also guess that Disney doesn't want to move the end of the release to later. Currently, the Balloon Ladies are projected to reach Grand Floridian (Mile 7 and just having exited MK just a bit earlier) at around 8:30am. If you move the end of the corral release to later, it's likely to impact the opening of MK at 9am which I highly doubt Disney wants anything to do with. They want the Main Street spectators out and the paying crowds in. So moving the end corral release to later would probably require a redesign on the marathon/half marathon course.

@roxymama - it will not get you a pretzel!

:(

giphy.gif

Re giant corrals: I'm no stranger to giant "you don't meet the qualification cutoff" corrals in big city races near me. Just hung out in one a week ago. But usually you don't have to be in those corrals at the same time that the head corrals have to be. There's multiple start times. Would it make any sense at all for Disney to have two back to back start times for the front portion and the back portion with different "you must be in your corral by" times to eliminate the insane waits for the back of the packers ORRRRRR does that not matter because people will still want to get in the corrals early to get better access to picture stops and more cushion from the sweepers???

Well, I think I've talked myself out of that idea.
I LIKE this idea.
I actually think this would be a good idea from the perspective of me as a runner- I do not have to be on a bus by 3:30, I do not have to stand outside in sleet, but could be if I so desire- clearly this has no bearing on rD's choices. I can see that if numbers were crunched (already addressed above, not really rD's thing), that it could also be an additional revenue source- fewer buses, fewer runners to manage toward the corals, fewer corals to police for jumpers or what not, that never ending coffee cart at the start area has more of a chance to earn $$, and probably other things. There would be other logistics to adjust per DopeyBadger's comment above about moving out non-day guests, but this is not insurmountable. They had a smaller field running the cast member 5K last week, and that had walkers with strollers circling the AK parking lot while people were coming in to park, and a hundred people in line for a photo with Pluto 20 minutes before park open. Neither of these was the worst part of the race. {lots of other things were not good}

I LIKE this idea.
I actually think this would be a good idea from the perspective of me as a runner- I do not have to be on a bus by 3:30, I do not have to stand outside in sleet, but could be if I so desire- clearly this has no bearing on rD's choices. I can see that if numbers were crunched (already addressed above, not really rD's thing), that it could also be an additional revenue source- fewer buses, fewer runners to manage toward the corals, fewer corals to police for jumpers or what not, that never ending coffee cart at the start area has more of a chance to earn $$, and probably other things. There would be other logistics to adjust per DopeyBadger's comment above about moving out non-day guests, but this is not insurmountable. They had a smaller field running the cast member 5K last week, and that had walkers with strollers circling the AK parking lot while people were coming in to park, and a hundred people in line for a photo with Pluto 20 minutes before park open. Neither of these was the worst part of the race. {lots of other things were not good}

Did the friends and family race go through the AK when the park was open to day guests? I mean this happens already for the marathon as is. My guess is that Disney treats the MK a little differently. But a key would be the spectator part of it. During the half and full spectators can watch from inside MK on Main Street for free. If the end of corral release is delayed this might get tricky if the race is still ongoing but now you're telling some spectators they have to leave before their runner has passed by because the park is about to open. Means they might have to make this free spectator option into a ticketed event. Oh no... I've said too much... :duck:

I was hoping this would open before we get there for Christmas!! My kids will be thrilled, and I can send them in with DH while I go get a beer, right?

Did the friends and family race go through the AK when the park was open to day guests? I mean this happens already for the marathon as is. My guess is that Disney treats the MK a little differently. But a key would be the spectator part of it. During the half and full spectators can watch from inside MK on Main Street for free. If the end of corral release is delayed this might get tricky if the race is still ongoing but now you're telling some spectators they have to leave before their runner has passed by because the park is about to open. Means they might have to make this free spectator option into a ticketed event. Oh no... I've said too much... :duck:
The run/walk should have been over by park open, but there were still stragglers not yet into the park gate when I left at 7:45 and there were lots of people lined up waiting to come in even though park open was officially at 9. I cannot imagine they got the health and wellness fair at the end cleaned up before paying guests were in there. I appreciate the point that this would be significantly more complicated with MK, but I think if the had a compelling reason to make the race more appealing to runners (which I agree they do not) they could figure the Main Street Spectator thing out.

Re giant corrals: I'm no stranger to giant "you don't meet the qualification cutoff" corrals in big city races near me. Just hung out in one a week ago. But usually you don't have to be in those corrals at the same time that the head corrals have to be. There's multiple start times. Would it make any sense at all for Disney to have two back to back start times for the front portion and the back portion with different "you must be in your corral by" times to eliminate the insane waits for the back of the packers ORRRRRR does that not matter because people will still want to get in the corrals early to get better access to picture stops and more cushion from the sweepers???

Well, I think I've talked myself out of that idea.

runDisney Paris actually did this. The guide clearly stated what time each corral closed. So for a 7 am start A had to be in place by 6:30, and they moved them up into the chute not long after that. I was in D and showed up about 6:45 but did not have to be there until 7:05 and they moved us into the chute about 7:30. Two reasons that I think DLP can do it and WDW can’t: no on property road closures to worry about and a more efficient security screening system.

EDIT: They have been claimed!

I'm sure everyone here is already thinking about costumes for the race(s) (see above at @roxymama's bird!).

If anyone is interested in a red or green sparkle athletic skirt (size medium, brand new in package) let me know! I have one of each and I'll send it to you! No charge, I won them a while back. :)

View attachment 358553 View attachment 358554

They are yours! PM me your addresses and I will sent them off this week! :)

Tiana, tinkerbell, Mike wazowski, Ariel, petes dragon, disgust...

I’ve got Te Fiti on my mind.....

Haha I literally just added this to my WDW schedule - my girls will like it. Glad they updated the old version - with characters barely on TV anymore (DD used to be SUCh a Sofia fan!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter