Definitely price-shop when you preschedule between Uber and Lyft ... I've often found Lyft to be a couple dollars cheaper AND their mapping protocol is way better than Uber around parts of property.
Which do you find easier and more reliable overall on property? Thanks for your advice!

Which do you find easier and more reliable overall on property? Thanks for your advice!

Probably Lyft and that's mostly because Minnie Vans use the same mapping protocol, so the addresses are spot on.

I’m doing the Wine and Dine half in a few weeks. Assuming that goes smoothly do y’all think I would have enough time to ramp up to the full marathon in January? I’ve contemplated doing it before but just never had the guts to pull the trigger.

I normally finish half’s in right around 2 hours if that makes an difference.

I’m doing the Wine and Dine half in a few weeks. Assuming that goes smoothly do y’all think I would have enough time to ramp up to the full marathon in January? I’ve contemplated doing it before but just never had the guts to pull the trigger.

Yes if you train you can. I am running Wine and Dine and going right into Marathon mode after. I kind of already am in Marathon mode and treating Wine and Dine as training for that.

Sundays Are For Disney (ok, it's not Sunday)....

Training is going well although the recovery from my half-marathon on Sept 30 affected my runs a little more than I had hoped. This week is the first week of training for the WDW Marathon that is more than just base building. I ran my first speed workout today and it was tough. I cut the miles down a bit but still got in some solid intervals near the pace I was looking for. My training for the half marathon was mostly slow and building a base so I think with Speed and Tempo runs in the next several weeks, it's definitely going to increase the difficulty level.

I have found the wait to be less with Uber, Lyft to be usually be slightly less expensive due to discounts I'm sent via email but it's really splitting hairs. Its really luck in who has availability at the time you're looking for a car (unless you pre-book) and if you do pre-book it's really 6 one way, half dozen the other.

I definitely think so. I'm using a beginner training plan that is for a different race, and it has me doing a 7 and 12 miler the weeknd of Wine and Dine. My first 14 miler isn't until Nov. 10th. Here's a link to the plan I'm using, just change the dates to align with the marathon in January: https://www.shamrockmarathon.com/wp...7/2017/11/Shamrock-Beginner-Marathon-2018.pdf

I definitely think so. I'm using a beginner training plan that is for a different race, and it has me doing a 7 and 12 miler the weeknd of Wine and Dine. My first 14 miler isn't until Nov. 10th. Here's a link to the plan I'm using, just change the dates to align with the marathon in January: https://www.shamrockmarathon.com/wp...7/2017/11/Shamrock-Beginner-Marathon-2018.pdf

Thanks for that link. I think the thing that has me scared is that it's only 12ish weeks away and I've gotten a late start with my training for the Wine and Dine because it's been so hot this fall here in Central Florida. I'm up to about 8 miles right now and plan on getting in a good 10 miler on Sunday and that's going to be it as far as real training goes for Wine and Dine. I think I'm going to be too far behind to make it work but if the weather would break and I get the Wine and Dine in, I'll have about 10 weeks to cram to get from 13 to 26. I'm not proud and if I have to walk some then so be it. I just want to finish a marathon so I can say that I did it (if that makes sense).

I would say definitely. I did my first marathon in 2017 and only really decided to do at the end of October/beginning of November 2016 because I wanted to see how I was doing with training for Avengers. Since it was my first, I also had no expectations for time. My plan was to run it, stop for tons of pictures, and ride Everest. That plan was successful.

Thanks for that link. I think the thing that has me scared is that it's only 12ish weeks away and I've gotten a late start with my training for the Wine and Dine because it's been so hot this fall here in Central Florida. I'm up to about 8 miles right now and plan on getting in a good 10 miler on Sunday and that's going to be it as far as real training goes for Wine and Dine. I think I'm going to be too far behind to make it work but if the weather would break and I get the Wine and Dine in, I'll have about 10 weeks to cram to get from 13 to 26. I'm not proud and if I have to walk some then so be it. I just want to finish a marathon so I can say that I did it (if that makes sense).

What training plan are you using? You won’t need to get up to 26 until the day of the race. If you can make it to 20-22 before tapering, you’re in good shape. Some of us top out at fewer miles than that.

And you’re totally right - there is nothing wrong with walking. Just enjoy the race, however you go about it.

I feel ya on the weather. I live in Seminole County. I’m usually out running before the sun comes up.

Here's another reference, Hal Higdon's Novice 1 plan https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/marathon-training/novice-1-marathon/

It is an 18 week plan with a Half Marathon recommended at week 8 (so 10 weeks before the marathon). If your ramp up for the half looks roughly like this, and you run the Half so you can continue training right after it, I think you can definitely do it.

I don't want to be an Eeyore but just wanted to clarify something about ordering an Uber in advance. We've had some bad luck at home ordering Ubers the night before going to the airport in the morning. Uber does not reserve a driver for you. They just begin looking for a driver around the time of your reservation. And we've had instances where they could not find one yet and we had to drive ourselves to the airport and pay for parking. We live 20 min from a major airport fyi.

I have no idea if that is the case for Florida as well. Or anything about Lyft.

I think Lyft reserves a driver in advance. And you can check in the app to confirm that a driver is reserved.
I've only scheduled Lyft in advance once, but I had no problems.

I don't want to be an Eeyore but just wanted to clarify something about ordering an Uber in advance. We've had some bad luck at home ordering Ubers the night before going to the airport in the morning. Uber does not reserve a driver for you. They just begin looking for a driver around the time of your reservation. And we've had instances where they could not find one yet and we had to drive ourselves to the airport and pay for parking. We live 20 min from a major airport fyi.

I have no idea if that is the case for Florida as well. Or anything about Lyft.

Rules on livery vary from municipality to municipality, so Uber/Lyft are required operate under rule of law by the city - so things are different depending on where you are. For example, where you live might have different rules on how "for hire" transportation works that Uber/Lyft don't qualify for because of varying reasons. That probably explains why you didn't have a driver scheduled for you.

I think Lyft reserves a driver in advance. And you can check in the app to confirm that a driver is reserved.
I've only scheduled Lyft in advance once, but I had no problems.

I've prescheduled both Uber and Lyft (most recently Lyft back in July) for a pre-5 a.m. pickup to go to the airport and never had a problem getting a driver and seeing that my driver was assigned well in advance. In fact, in July my driver was waiting at my house a good 20 minutes early. Not that that was creepy or anything ...

I have found the wait to be less with Uber, Lyft to be usually be slightly less expensive due to discounts I'm sent via email but it's really splitting hairs. Its really luck in who has availability at the time you're looking for a car (unless you pre-book) and if you do pre-book it's really 6 one way, half dozen the other.
Thanks for the info. I do have an Uber coupon from my phone points. I definitley will be pre-booking.

I've prescheduled both Uber and Lyft (most recently Lyft back in July) for a pre-5 a.m. pickup to go to the airport and never had a problem getting a driver and seeing that my driver was assigned well in advance. In fact, in July my driver was waiting at my house a good 20 minutes early. Not that that was creepy or anything ...
Yes Creepy, but actually good to hear they were early not late. I know lots of people will need to get around at that hour before the races, but what time would your recommend we get picked up to be at Epcot at 3:00am. 2:15am is that too early? It's from All-Star Sports, so not far, and probably want to get there actually at 2:45am to then walk to wherever we have to go. Hope you don't mind the questions, but I figure might as well take advice from more experienced on this. Thanks.

Yes Creepy, but actually good to hear they were early not late. I know lots of people will need to get around at that hour before the races, but what time would your recommend we get picked up to be at Epcot at 3:00am. 2:15am is that too early? It's from All-Star Sports, so not far, and probably want to get there actually at 2:45am to then walk to wherever we have to go. Hope you don't mind the questions, but I figure might as well take advice from more experienced on this. Thanks.

They give you a 15-minute window, so I would probably schedule it at 2:15 knowing that you could be picked up anywhere between 2:15-2:30. It shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes to get there!

They give you a 15-minute window, so I would probably schedule it at 2:15 knowing that you could be picked up anywhere between 2:15-2:30. It shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes to get there!
Awesome, thank you so much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter