I know there have been numerous discussions regarding shoes over the years but I wanted get some recent thoughts for those that have some shoe knowledge. I am fairly new to the longer distance running world, I would consider HM and M's to be longer distance running :), so I am still figuring out how shoes impact my running. I am due for some new shoes and want to get thoughts from all the experienced folks on this board. I have been using Brooks Ghost 10's for my short runs, say under 8 miles, and Saucony Guide 10's for my runs over 8 miles. I am a fairly neutral runner, slight pronation? I believe.

Any thoughts on if these (or more recent models of those shoes) are good for this type of running? I know there are a ton of thoughts and opinions and I have read so many articles I am not sure the answer anymore :).

Thanks as always for your thoughts and opinions!

I know there have been numerous discussions regarding shoes over the years but I wanted get some recent thoughts for those that have some shoe knowledge. I am fairly new to the longer distance running world, I would consider HM and M's to be longer distance running :), so I am still figuring out how shoes impact my running. I am due for some new shoes and want to get thoughts from all the experienced folks on this board. I have been using Brooks Ghost 10's for my short runs, say under 8 miles, and Saucony Guide 10's for my runs over 8 miles. I am a fairly neutral runner, slight pronation? I believe.

Any thoughts on if these (or more recent models of those shoes) are good for this type of running? I know there are a ton of thoughts and opinions and I have read so many articles I am not sure the answer anymore :).

Based on previous discussions, I think you will get a lot of positive feedback on Ghosts. I personally have used them for about 5 years for all of my 10k/HM/M training. I think they are a great shoe for neutral runners

I don't claim to be the best expert on shoes, but I'll give you my limited advice - I have been running in Saucony's for the last 10 years, and have loved them. I have always purchased the "Ride" series (up to Ride 10). I typically get my shoes through RoadRunner.com on sale, and this last sale they were completely stocked out of all Ride's so I rolled the dice and got Saucony Freedom ISO's based on reviews (I could also return for free if dissatisfied). It is also a neutral shoe and has the "Everrun" cushion which I like. I bought two pair so I can train with them and use them for Marathon Weekend. I've now run about 60 miles in them, and I've loved them as well. I've heard good things about Saucony Guide's as well. For me, I have yet to be disappointed in a Saucony shoe.

I used to wear Asics Gel Nimbus for all my longer runs until they came out with the 19s.

Since then I have been using the Ghosts and they are great. I use them for all my double digit mile runs.

Is there a reason you don't run longer mileage with the Ghost's?

For anything under 10, I use the Reebok floatride run fast. Super light and fun.

SAFD:

Seems like I'm always a couple of days late getting to SAFD... as conversations have changed to POT, ticketing, etc.... so bear with me... :)

Training is going pretty well. This is my first experience with WDW Marathon Weekend, and specifically with the Dopey challenge. I'm relying on my bro-in-law with whom I've trained for all my marathons for our training. Up until last weekend we've had incredibly good late summer/fall weather here in Utah. We do all of our runs early in the morning, so we've been running in typically 50-60 degree weather. Our only challenge has been wildfires in the area which affected air quality for a couple of weeks. Not fun (and we smelled like a campfire), but other than that, it's been great. This last weekend, temps dipped into the 30's on our run - and from here on out this will probably be the norm and will hopefully prep us for any extreme temps we may get in January (although "dry" cold is so much more different than "humid" cold... and is quite an adjustment for us desert-dwellers!)

We typically run 6 miles on Tue and Thurs followed by our long run on Saturday. We have ranged between 13 miles and 21 miles on our Saturday runs. We will probably continue this plan through January, with adjustments for weather as needed. We are headed down for our kids' school Fall Break this weekend to Southern Utah where it will be warmer and we are planning on doing a few more long runs in succession.

We bought our tickets last night to beat the price change. I think we saved a bit - not a lot... but it was good to be safe. It's also nice to have my tickets loaded into MDE now so I can begin prepping for FP+ acquisition on the morning of Nov 10th! :woohoo:

In my opinion, I'd agree with you. It's because runDisney markets themselves to first timers and is much more open to all pace groups than some other large races can be.
I agree. The Giant Race advertises itself as friendlier to slower runners, yet its recommended minimum pace is 15:00 per mile instead of the runDisney 16 minute pace. I do think the Giant Race is friendly to slower runners, but it's definitely a very different vibe to the race.

So for others, don't immediately be discouraged by a particular corral assignment because the data backs up that it's completely possible to run a fast race (if you choose to do so) in pretty much any corral.
Definitely true. While I am certainly not fast, I have comfortably finished every runDisney event I've done and started all in the second to last or last corrals and been able to take some pictures along the course if I wanted to.

Also ... do they still do character pictures in the pre-race area after the race starts?
For Dark Side, the characters left the pre-race area at 5:00am sharp. They did not cut the lines off, but warned runners that they would leave at 5:00am. Shortly before 5:00am, a runDisney cast member would cut the line and determine that a specific runner or their group would be the last one. This past April, I was the last runner in line for Captain Phasma. In the case of Dark Side, runners could take photos with their own cameras in front of the backdrops after the characters left if they wanted to.

I would pay money to attend an Ewok dance party on Batuu after Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opens. And yes I know the Ewoks really partied on the forest moon of Endor.

Excuse me while I change all my plans so that I can do this every single day...
I'm in for at least twice a day at the aforementioned Ewok dance party on Batuu.

Means they might have to make this free spectator option into a ticketed event. Oh no... I've said too much... :duck:
No worries. You didn't give them an idea they didn't already have. They already charge the chEAR squad to spectate their runners from inside Disneyland or Disney California Adventure for their races. Or at least they did when those races were around.

My advise is to go to a store that specializes in running if there is one nearby. I have a FleetFeet near me. They spent quite a bit of time with me, measuring my feet, watching me run in the parking lot, and trying out various shoes while actually running. It was well worth the time.

My advice is that the best shoe for you, is the shoe that works best for you - and the only way to figure that out is to try some! Lots of folks go to a store and are fitted perfectly; it's never worked for me, so I'm something of an expert on DIY shoe fitting. If it ain't broke (nothing hurts? shoes feel good? you don't feel like they're forcing you to run differently than what feels natural?), don't try to fix it. If the Ghost and Guide are working for you, stick with them! I've run in the Ghost 7 and Guide 9 - both were more than capable of handling the marathon distance. I didn't love either and have since found alternatives I like better for my individual needs, but they're both good shoes if they work well for you.

I am also a neutral runner and am currently on my third pair of Brooks Ghosts. I use them as my trail shoes since the trails are well traveled and not super rocky. I gone up to 22 miles on trails with them, no problems. Why do you feel the need to keep them for fewer miles?

I haven’t tried the Sauconys you mentioned. I road run and workout in Nike Pegasus (since 1997!) since they are great for my narrow feet, plus our local Nike outlet has last year’s models for next to nothing. Of course, this was all prior to my current ankle issues.

I used to wear Asics Gel Nimbus for all my longer runs until they came out with the 19s.

Since then I have been using the Ghosts and they are great. I use them for all my double digit mile runs.

Is there a reason you don't run longer mileage with the Ghost's?

For anything under 10, I use the Reebok floatride run fast. Super light and fun.

No particular reason for not using the Ghosts for longer runs, just how I started with my Marathon training last year and haven't really changed. They are working fine, just thought I would see what other folks are doing. The Ghosts feel lighter than the Saucony Guides so mentally I equated that to not holding up as well on longs runs, nothing even remotely scientific :).

My advice is that the best shoe for you, is the shoe that works best for you - and the only way to figure that out is to try some! Lots of folks go to a store and are fitted perfectly; it's never worked for me, so I'm something of an expert on DIY shoe fitting. If it ain't broke (nothing hurts? shoes feel good? you don't feel like they're forcing you to run differently than what feels natural?), don't try to fix it. If the Ghost and Guide are working for you, stick with them! I've run in the Ghost 7 and Guide 9 - both were more than capable of handling the marathon distance. I didn't love either and have since found alternatives I like better for my individual needs, but they're both good shoes if they work well for you.

Thank you all for the responses and thoughts. I pretty much agree with the "if it ain't broke" philosophy but as I have increased my pace and overall goals I thought I would see if there were potentially better options out there. There are so many shoe options these days, there is no way to try them all.

No particular reason for not using the Ghosts for longer runs, just how I started with my Marathon training last year and haven't really changed. They are working fine, just thought I would see what other folks are doing. The Ghosts feel lighter than the Saucony Guides so mentally I equated that to not holding up as well on longs runs, nothing even remotely scientific :).

I switched over to the Ghost from the Brooks Glycerin this year. The newer Glycerin models have gotten so cushioned that it was causing shin problems for me and the Ghosts have been perfect. I just finished my first marathon training cycle in them and can say they held up extremely well through the entire training program and on a wet race day at the Chicago Marathon. As a bonus, I'm a heavier runner and was never able to get more than 220 miles out of a pair of Glycerins, but the Ghosts have been holding up for 275-300 miles/pair.

That's a lot of Yub Nub.
I'm still bitter about removing the original Ewok celebration song from Return of the Jedi. That's my go to song for celebrating getting through something intensely challenging, be it a major work deadline or a runDisney race challenge.

Anyone Uber to Epcot for the races, especially if they were volunteering? I need to get from Sports to Epcot at what like 3:00am for the 5k. I won't have a car, so am thinking Uber. Where do you tell them to go? I've never used Uber & only taken buses to the races so do I just put in Epcot bus stop or is there a specific lot for the races that I'm not thinking of for drop off. Thanks!

Last edited:
Anyone Uber to Epcot for the races, especially if they were volunteering? I need to get from Sports to Epcot at what like 3:00am for the 5k. I won't have a car, so am thinking Uber. Where do you tell them to go? I've never used Uber & only taken buses to the races so do I just put in Epcot bus stop or is there a specific lot for the races that I'm not thinking of for drop off. Thanks!

You can pre-schedule it the night before (that guarantees that you'll have a ride in the morning) and there are electronic signs that say Runner Drop-Off that will take Ubers to the bus area. The start area will be all lit up, so you can also see if they'll drop you off close to there so you won't have the extra walk, but it's easiest if you just select Epcot on the app and have your driver follow the signs for Runner Drop-Off.

You can pre-schedule it the night before (that guarantees that you'll have a ride in the morning) and there are electronic signs that say Runner Drop-Off that will take Ubers to the bus area. The start area will be all lit up, so you can also see if they'll drop you off close to there so you won't have the extra walk, but it's easiest if you just select Epcot on the app and have your driver follow the signs for Runner Drop-Off.
Thank you so much, exactly what I needed to know.

Thank you so much, exactly what I needed to know.

Definitely price-shop when you preschedule between Uber and Lyft ... I've often found Lyft to be a couple dollars cheaper AND their mapping protocol is way better than Uber around parts of property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter