SAFD: My 2019 plans call for cutting back on race registrations to save money. I'll be skipping the local races I've done in the past, and W&D is off my calendar. Cutting those should pay for Dopey 2020 registration, and then I'll just have 2020 SW to save for. I'm still planning a local half next month and SW Rival Run weekend in April, but those were purchased in 2018.

SAFD

Well, since I just got my most recent @DopeyBadger plan last night, it looks like I am back on the training wagon.

I have a 10k in April and a half marathon in May. I would like to PR both, but realistically, given the courses, I will probably only PR the half.

After that, I'm not sure. I ran a marathon each in 2017 and 2018, and I think I would like to keep that streak alive. I'm thinking the Presque Isle Marathon in September or a local one in November, or something else sometime in the fall. Not sure yet.

2019 plans: I’ve got a half in March where I am thinking of attempting a PR and we are doing Star Wars in April. After that I might do a few local races over the summer and into the fall. The plan for next year is Dopey 2020 so that fall will be spent training for it. I made the mistake of noticing that Wine and Dine aligns perfectly with my Dopey training plan so now I’m secretly thinking of ways to justify going down there. I don’t think I would even have considered it if it weren’t for my AP that I got this year.

SAFD a day late because my Sunday was lousy: No races on my official schedule. I may run the Myrtle Beach half in March if I can get away from the family. There’s a local 5k at my boys’ old school in May that I usually run, plus a couple of brewery sponsored ones in the spring/summer that I can probably be talked into. Fingers crossed for getting into NY via the lottery, but if that doesn’t work out, I’m really wanting to do W&D. With my luck, DH will get into NY and I won’t, so I’ll be spending that weekend holding down homebase. And if that does happen, I’ll do marathon weekend 2020.

Current plans are:
Tear Drop half in April, with a PR attempt. Hoping it will be better than my current 10-mile POT.
Attempting a sub-1 hour 10k in May.
Maui half marathon in October.
Figuring out how to pay for Goofy 2020. My husband says he'll come down but isn't running. Since it's been a few weeks and he's still adamant, I'm betting it's true.

Not sure of my plans for this year. I have a free entry to the Rock and Roll DC Half, but I'm not feeling like jumping back into training right away plus I've had some mild foot pain this past week. I may check if I can switch to doing the 5k instead. I have a June 10k planned in Annapolis so I want to work on increasing speed with that shorter distance and also on losing some weight. Then I'm thinking of a Fall half marathon, probably either Philadelphia or Richmond. Marathon weekend 2020 will only happen if I can get a discount on the race registration so I definitely wouldn't sign up until much later in the year, if at all.

Plans for 2019 include:
* Helderberg to Hudson Half in April. This is the first for this race and excited because the course includes part of my regular long run training routes and is really beautiful.
* Boilermaker 15k in July. Hoping to PR this year with a < 75 minute race if it is not stupid hot.
* I have entered the NYC marathon lottery for November. If I don't get in, I may fund raise to race (have a coworker who is involved in one of the charities). If not then maybe Dopey 2020. I have a friend from Austin trying to talk me into it. I was hoping to do Dopey in 2021.

Lots of 5Ks as they come up.

What are your running plans for the next year (including, if applicable, marathon weekend 2020)?
I am registered for the San Francisco Giant Race Half Marathon and 5K Challenge. Meaning I run the half at 7:15am and the 5K at 10:50am. I may add 2 or 3 virtual races to get the Giants series sweep award for 2019, but may turn one of those virtuals into a live race since it's not too far from home.

Beyond that I'm still figuring out 2020 race plans.

When I saw dh after I finished WDW marathon this year, I said that was fun, but I don't want to do it again for awhile. With that said, I will probably reserve a DVC room just in case...
Funny you should say that. As I argue back and forth with myself about why I shouldn't run Marathon Weekend 2020, it dawned on me that Star Wars Rival Run 2020 might work even better. And Star Wars races definitely got me back into running after I had taken 18 months or so off. Yet strangely enough I told myself when I left Disney World a couple of weeks ago that I really need to visit when I'm not running. My last 4 trips have been tied to race weekends and yet here I am looking at a fifth consecutive race weekend trip.

I’ve decided not to race much this year and enjoy running without the stress of having to get runs in.
That's what I hope to do for the next few months. Work is about to become insanely busy and I want to get short runs in 3 days a week, but unless I've had an important goal race, I've never trained in these months.

I don’t think I would even have considered it if it weren’t for my AP that I got this year.
I wound up getting an AP precisely because I was eyeing Marathon Weekend after Dark Side 2018. I knew I was committing myself to one more trip even if I didn't do the marathon, but I was perfectly fine with that.

Start my new training plan tonight, which I hope to post in my journal tonight along with my half recap. I'll post the link once it's up. Been hit with a crazy schedule last few days otherwise it'd be up already.

My 8k goal is 46:00 (ACK) and half is 2:10 (ACK) but I asked for it. We'll see if I'm trending towards capable of doing that as I start back up running again. Everytime I think I'll take it easy for a year I end up setting "scary" goals for myself. I got this but (ACK!)

SAFD: I have the Star Wars 10k planned for April, but other than some local races, I have hopes of the Wine & Dine Half and plan to return for 2020 Marathon Weekend. Leaning on a return to Dopey. Have a great year everyone!

What gives with people who show up to corrals way late and try to shove and push all the way to the front?

PSA - if your a$$ shows up late to the corral then your stuck at the back

I saw this at W&D and every race at Marathon weekend. At W&D there were guys who must have missed when they slotted B up the chute towards the startline. They shoved and pushed all the way to the front but the guys holding the corral wouldnt let them go up ahead atleast.

What gives with people who show up to corrals way late and try to shove and push all the way to the front?

I saw this at W&D and every race at Marathon weekend. At W&D there were guys who must have missed when they slotted B up the chute towards the startline. They shoved and pushed all the way to the front but the guys holding the corral wouldnt let them go up ahead atleast.
That always happens. People don’t realize that Disney starts moving corrals into place so early and they want to get to the front because they can’t fathom being in the back.

That always happens. People don’t realize that Disney starts moving corrals into place so early and they want to get to the front because they can’t fathom being in the back.

I saw this happen in the marathon a lot this year. It was probably compounded by the fact that our corral was like the largest in the history of corrals... lol. My wife and I got there first thing and were up pretty close, but chose to go to the side by the fence. Over time we continued to watch people trample over others to try and get to the very front. In one particular case, I could tell of one person that was going to the front and pretending to be meeting up with (visibly looking for) others. After they got to the front, other friends came and found this person. But they were all acting like they were joining in with an existing group, but not really. They just felt the need to get to the very front. As I suspected, within the first 100 meters, we passed this group. They were walking side by side (maybe 4 across)... and I'm guessing they were "very proud" of the fact that they were successful in getting to the front of the corral.

I saw this happen in the marathon a lot this year. It was probably compounded by the fact that our corral was like the largest in the history of corrals... lol. My wife and I got there first thing and were up pretty close, but chose to go to the side by the fence. Over time we continued to watch people trample over others to try and get to the very front. In one particular case, I could tell of one person that was going to the front and pretending to be meeting up with (visibly looking for) others. After they got to the front, other friends came and found this person. But they were all acting like they were joining in with an existing group, but not really. They just felt the need to get to the very front. As I suspected, within the first 100 meters, we passed this group. They were walking side by side (maybe 4 across)... and I'm guessing they were "very proud" of the fact that they were successful in getting to the front of the corral.

Forcing your way to the front of a corral in front of others who were there earlier is not cool nor is walking 4 across, but walking within the first 100 meters doesn't mean anything necessarily. I'm an interval runner and do very short intervals and while I usually forgo starting my intervals at the start of a crowded race, merely walking within the first 100 meters doesn't mean much given the prevalence of interval runners these days, especially at Disney races. We made sure to get there early enough to be the front of our corral and as I mentioned we didn't start our intervals right away, but we might have chosen to do so if we'd wanted and as long as our race etiquette (signaling walk breaks/no more than 2 abreast during a walk break -and when it's crowded we typically go single file) was appropriate, I would feel we had every right to be at the front even if we were walking at times. You may only really be concerned about the jumping to the front of the corral and walking 4 across (NOT cool) rather than the fact of walking in the first 100 meters, but I can sometimes be sensitive to that, so sorry if I'm misinterpreting the bolded portion.

It doesn't help that people here and in various social media groups advise runners to "get to the front of your corral to have a time buffer." The advice isn't wrong, but I can see how folks - especially newbies - feel like they have to get to the front, even if it means pushing their way up because they didn't get there early enough. I'm a big fan of starting at the back of my corral, just to avoid all that!

While waiting for the half to start, I was toward the front by the fence when this couple came barging up to the front, complete with corral F bibs (this was in D). The girl looked beyond embarrassed, kept turning to the guy, obviously saying something like they shouldn’t be there, while the son of a bench just kept scooting them up. If i had been on the other side of the corral and near a volunteer, I would have said something just to wipe the smirk off that guy’s face.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter