Marathon Weekend 2022

The park icons are typically only on the Marathon weekend shirts. And they were on there in 2020 with the newer style shirts.
I believe each race (except for the 5k when it was a cotton t-shirt) had the icons of the parks they ran through. So only the marathon had all four parks, but the half had MK and Epcot and the 10k had Epcot.

I thought the original runDisney branded shirts did have the park icons… I was trying to find a picture…. I found one from google (but it would let me attach a screenshot) - they did have them.
6DC6A26A-186B-4D52-909E-DB230C501062.jpeg

My shirts from the virtual runs last year did not (obviously), and they had a different material which I liked better, but they also fit a little weird on me. I’m hoping these work out!

I am hoping someone will post about the cut and material for the 2022 shirts. Like some, I was not a fan of the material or cut (sleeves way too short) of the 2020 shirts.

I believe each race (except for the 5k when it was a cotton t-shirt) had the icons of the parks they ran through. So only the marathon had all four parks, but the half had MK and Epcot and the 10k had Epcot.

I thought the original runDisney branded shirts did have the park icons… I was trying to find a picture…. I found one from google (but it would let me attach a screenshot) - they did have them.
View attachment 635944

My shirts from the virtual runs last year did not (obviously), and they had a different material which I liked better, but they also fit a little weird on me. I’m hoping these work out!
Yes, it was just the parks that race ran through. I was looking forward to having 2 parks on my 10K shirt for once haha.

Of course I like the 10K shirt the best because I'm not running it this year! Bummed about the park icons not being on the sleeve - miss the old shirts by Champion :sad2:

Safe travels to all! May we all stay healthy and arrive safely. Oh and drink water! Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate - going to be another warm one unless Florida throws us a curveball!

On Marathon race day we have park reservations at MK and are staying at Boardwalk. Would it be easier to take a Disney bus to the TTC or Uber? Not looking to rope drop but thinking something about 9:30am arrival or so. I've never been to MK that early on race day before since I've always ran the marathon before this year.

Of course I like the 10K shirt the best because I'm not running it this year! Bummed about the park icons not being on the sleeve - miss the old shirts by Champion :sad2:

Safe travels to all! May we all stay healthy and arrive safely. Oh and drink water! Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate - going to be another warm one unless Florida throws us a curveball!
I know I'm in the minority, but I prefer the newer ones over the Champion ones, by quite a lot.

I’ll take a shot at answering what I can and others will chime in with their experiences, I’m sure. There were several of who ran that marathon. It’s not 100% clear exactly when the decision was made or what precisely prompted it. I think our best estimate was that the course was modified to remove the Blizzard Beach loop sometime in the 10:30-10:45 timeframe. I don’t know whether that decision was made due to a specific heat and humidity threshold being met or if it was due to the strain on the medical support staff from runners in distress nearing the breaking point. There were a lot of runners in need of aid as the heat ramped up through the morning.

I think you have to go into any marathon with a forecast temperature profile like this one with the understanding that it could be shortened. Factors working in our favor this year are that the forecast isn’t quite as hot and humid and I think there’s cloud cover forecast that would mitigate some of the heat’s effects (although clouds were forecast in 2020 and didn’t materialize). Factors working against us include reports that I’ve seen that rD is short of both medical and aid station volunteers this year, lowering the threshold for overwhelming medical capacity and reducing rDs ability to add water/ice/cooling options/stations on the fly.

We‘re just going to have to see what happens.
Yes based on what I experienced and conversations I had with others, 10:30 appears about right; however, the text alert didn't go out until 11:30 (or at least that's when it came through on my texts).

My DH and I are at POFQ. Are we better off driving to the races or taking the Disney transport?
(My opinion only) I always felt better about the Disney transport...and taking one of the early ones. Even though busses are subject to most of the same traffic problems. once they get near the park the progress seems more steady than the cars trying to make it into the parking lots. It just seems a lot less stressful to me.

However, I've read on these boards about people leaving VERY early (before the busses start running) and catching some extra sleep once they're parked. That doesn't seem so bad. But based on my own experiences, I recommend the busses.

Best of luck! Have a great time!

My DH and I are at POFQ. Are we better off driving to the races or taking the Disney transport?

If I had a nickel for every time I have answered this question over the years....I might have enough coin to get off the 417 at Osceola Parkway ;) Anyhow, what races are you doing? How familiar are you with driving at Disney? For 5k and 10k, it would be simple to drive-IF you do it early and avoid ramp closures (for the 10 k) You can take the "normal" route of coming out onto Bonnet Creek and jumping on the on-ramp at Epcot Center Drive. For the half and full,Epcot Center Drive will be closed and you will need to go Bonnet Creek to Buena Vista to World Drive North to Epcot Center Drive. It's really a matter of choice. It's nice to drive to have the car, leave when you want, not deal with waiting around for a bus, park closer to the start area. But the buses are fine. It's fun to sit/talk with people gearing up to run. Your call.

Crud. 2:19 in the morning and I should be sound asleep, but I’m wide awake thinking about the upcoming weekend.

Look at it as practice for the race. This is about when you would be getting up/leaving, so you got this!

Who doesn’t like a challenge on top of a challenge, right?
Just got into my room at AKL.
Flight out of Hartford was cancelled 20 minutes prior to boarding yesterday AM, nothing available of course until later today. Rather than chance another cancellation or getting here with no flight home if that’s canceled it was decided this would be the trip to drive 1200+ miles.
Oh yay, surprise! I-95 in VA was closed for a fifty mile detour due to the storms so it turned into a bit over 20 hours but this is happening.

Glad you made it. Hope to run into you at AKL.

On Marathon race day we have park reservations at MK and are staying at Boardwalk. Would it be easier to take a Disney bus to the TTC or Uber? Not looking to rope drop but thinking something about 9:30am arrival or so. I've never been to MK that early on race day before since I've always ran the marathon before this year.

Personally, I might do Uber. The roads you are taking to get there should be open then, so getting there should be okay, but buses trying to get back will be stuck in traffic and therefore you might wait for a while at BW.

I am hoping someone will post about the cut and material for the 2022 shirts. Like some, I was not a fan of the material or cut (sleeves way too short) of the 2020 shirts.

‘This year’s Wine & Dine shirts were a big improvement over the 2020 MW shirts, so I’m cautiously optimistic. They still weren’t up to the Champion standards of years past, though.

With the arrival of the expo passes and bib numbers, the subject of weather has stopped...but, I will bring it up again!
Apparently, 2 years ago, the marathon was shortened by 2 miles. If there any runners here that were at that marathon, at what
time into the race did they make this decision? and what was their criteria? Is there a chance that this years marathon
will be shortened?? thanks
I was there and the course was shortened just ahead of me. It happened at about 11am, and that was decided before the race started - I only knew thanks to a friend with an inside contact, though: that info was not broadcast until runners were within maybe 15 minutes of the cutoff. I was on Western Way and a DJ there was telling runners the course was being cut ahead. rD didn’t share their criteria for making the call, but given that the decision was made before the race even started, I imagine it was based on the forecast and what they knew medical could handle.

Based on the current forecast, yes, I think it’s quite possible the course could be shortened again.

Shirts… I love the colors and designs! Shame I ordered size S based on 2020’s shirts: I did the same for W&D and the new shirts were too big. Really hoping someone ordered XS and swaps them for S before I get there…

This may sound like a silly question, but I rarely drive myself to races when I have to carry a bunch of stuff while running. Is it a bad idea to put my car key in my gEar check bag? (in something bigger so a car key isn't just floating around the bag). I know a key is pretty tiny, but I'd prefer to save that space for chapstick, nutrition, etc.

Just got in the long merch line at the expo! Couldn’t get the vending machine at the hotel to read my CC so I have an empty water bottle until I can find water which I’m guessing won’t be until I get inside….In a couple more hours 😩😩😩

Holy cow. People are lined up 3+ hours ahead of opening? Yup, that made my decision. Not heading over until after lunch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter