Marathon Weekend 2023

SAFD: I trip walking to the bathroom in the morning, and that's attached to my bedroom! 😅

But my DW tried a couple of trail races. They had a 1/2 and full on back to back days on a trail (kinda like a Goofy challenge, but as trail runs). She did the 1/2, and tripped 5 times. By the time we got home, her ankle was the size of a baseball, even with ice and Tylenol. We were going to wait until the next morning to see if she needed to go to the ER, or just to let her body do its thing. It did go down a little come morning, but she was for sure not doing the full marathon that day.

Since then, she's sworn off of any kind of trail running.

SAFD: History has taught me that my family has very poor falling instincts and brittle hand/wrist bones. It is thereby imperative that I not fall; as the most likely outcome is I am a dummy, try to catch myself, and end up in worse shape than a simple fall should merit. I expend a lot of mental and physical energy being very deliberate in how I move.

SAFD: Yep - the one time I tried trail running I ended up on the ground, and I have also tripped on uneven boards on our local greenway. But the worst fall was 2 years ago - running early in the morning in the dark, I caught uneven pavement and went down hard. I damaged the bursa in my right knee and it has not been the same since. I have to ice it after every run to this day.

SAFD - I fall at least once during a marathon training session. The worst was last summer - during the first of my 20 miler runs. It was 75 degrees, humid and I was on mile 15 and I misjudged a curb while running downhill and went forward. My knee, hand and elbow still bear scar tissue from that incident.
Heck, this weekend I fell running around Celebration. The sidewalks in that town are NOT level and I was running in the dark. Luckily I managed to throw myself to the right as I fell and landed, mostly, in the grass .

SAFD: I’ve surprisingly never fallen but I am the best at *almost* falling/tripping. As in, I see a stick and I think it’s a snake so I start to frantically jump or quickstep which results in me tripping over myself. I’ve slipped on ice several times and it’s just like in a cartoon. Arms flailing, legs sliding while also trying to stabilize 😂 I’m sure it’s just a sight to see. We’ve now entered the season of pancaked frogs and toads in the road along with live ones. A fun little game of you jump, I jump!

SAFD

I know I have more than once, but the one time that stands out was during college when I was home on break. I went to the local rec center with my Discman (remember those??) and got on the treadmill. I think I didn't double-knot my shoes or something...I tripped during the run and was thrown back from the treadmill belt, the Discman being pulled back with me since Bluetooth wasn't really a thing yet. Luckily I got minimal burns/marks from the belt (and a majorly bruised ego - thankfully there were only a couple of other people around to witness it), but most importantly - the Discman survived! And I double-knot my shoes every time now.

SAFD: I’ve surprisingly never fallen but I am the best at *almost* falling/tripping. As in, I see a stick and I think it’s a snake so I start to frantically jump or quickstep which results in me tripping over myself. I’ve slipped on ice several times and it’s just like in a cartoon. Arms flailing, legs sliding while also trying to stabilize 😂 I’m sure it’s just a sight to see. We’ve now entered the season of pancaked frogs and toads in the road along with live ones. A fun little game of you jump, I jump!
Yep, this is me ^^^ -- I have so many near-misses! I know I'm due for a big one at some point.

I haven't fallen **yet.** I did try really hard to fall when I (stupidly) attempted a jump pic at the end of the half during MW this year. I landed my my legs were like "nah. we aren't catching you, moron." So lesson learned there. Jump pics early in the race only. Not at the end.
This was terrifying and then hilarious, once I discovered that the photopass photographers caught my reaction as it happened! It was like watching in slow motion.

Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 8.21.55 AM.png

This was terrifying and then hilarious, once I discovered that the photopass photographers caught my reaction as it happened! It was like watching in slow motion.

View attachment 674433
HAHAHAH!! YESSSSSSS!! Terrifying and hilarious is a completely accurate description. And this is why you leave PLENTY of room around yourself for jump pics, because I nearly plowed into the guy in the blue shirt on my not-graceful landing. And it was like slow-motion because it was. I don't know what I was thinking.

SAFD: We were on a training run in early January right before heading down to Disney for MW. There had been some light drizzle but the temp was right around 32 degrees and surfaces seemed fine until...we approached a bridge. The bridge had a thin layer of black ice that we obviously didn't see. Both my husband and I went down hard. Luckily we were both okay with just a small bruise to show for my trouble, but we were so lucky it wasn't worse right before a race. PHEW!

Marathon weekend fam - if anyone needs help booking their Disney room and ticket packages for marathon weekend (or any other 2023 dates), I can help you with that starting THIS WEDNESDAY when packages are released. I am a travel agent on the side just for fun, so let me know if anyone needs any help in choosing a resort or just wants to book through me! (no cost to you of course!)

SAFD: despite being clumsy, by some miracle I have not yet fallen while running.

So I’m officially injured. Looks to be hip bursitis according to my normal Dr. I have an appointment with sports medicine later this week and then physical therapy starting next week. Cross your fingers that we can get this under control quickly so I can start training!

Spirit looks like they've released flights through mid-January.

Right now, it is showing as $800 roundtrip to fly from Pittsburgh to Orlando.

o_Oo_O:rotfl2::rotfl2:
Can I have some of whatever Spirit is smoking?

I'm SO tempted to just book the flight I've been looking at through United ($411 RT, both non-stop flights) but I really feel like I should wait for Southwest to release their flights first. That and I know there's a 10000% chance United will change the itinerary after I book. 🙄

SAFD: I've fallen on a run once, doing a half marathon outside of Zion National Park in June 2020. It was in the middle of COVID so they let runners pick their start time window, anytime from 5 PM to 5 AM and run overnight. It was also my first trail race and I made it 12 miles and then my foot hit a rock and I went flying and got a big cut just below my knee. It looked worse than it felt, thankfully and I easily finished the race. Just before I fell, we had come across a runner who'd likely broken her ankle, based on how it was swelling. So it could have been a lot worse.

SAFD: Three weeks before the Chicago Marathon (2019), I tripped on uneven pavement during a training run and ended up spraining my ankle really badly. It was swollen and bruised and it hurt to walk on it. I wasn't able to do any running leading up to the race and I knew my ankle wasn't 100% but I was determined to go anyway. I completed it but I knew I could have done better, which is why I'm going back this year for a "do-over" race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter