Marathon Weekend 2023

I live in the Orlando area and trained for Chicago last year. I try and run at 5-5:30am for the longer runs or hop on a treadmill. It's been brutal here with "feel like" temps over 100 degrees every day. It feels more like July weather right now.
Daytona here, I just keep telling myself all the summer hot and humid runs are building up the base for fall marathon plans… or working off ice cream

I feel that. I did Corning marathon last year - it was in early October and I swore to myself I'd never train for an early October marathon again after running in Atlanta summers.
And then I got in to Berlin - in late September. I am NOT looking forward to my 20 milers being at the end of August and beginning of September.
I have a friend/co-worker who is doing the Corning Marathon this year. He's done one other one and wants to complete one more (he's 60).

SAFD: I'm training for Chicago (then NY, then Dopey) on Higdon's Marathon 3 plan, which calls for running 3 days a week plus 2 days of cross training. I love taking Power Cycle classes at the gym and can't give them up so this plan is perfect for me. I just need to be more consistent with strength training and add in some yoga.

Hi, sorry for a stupid question but can someone tell me what SAFD stands for? I am kinda new here and been trying to figure that out...lol. 😂

Hi, sorry for a stupid question but can someone tell me what SAFD stands for? I am kinda new here and been trying to figure that out...lol. 😂
Sundays
Are
For
Disney

basically it we get a topic/discussion point (on Sunday) to all contribute to that helps keep the thread fresh as we all count down to the race weekend. It helps us get to know our fellow DISers, etc. We talk about training, Disney-related stuff, trip stuff, transportation, costumes, pets, food, all kinds of stuff!

OK so someone remind me about Dopey and the 5k. I know there's not sweepers for that race, so it's just on you to complete it within 49min? This only matters for "official times"?

I've already informed DH that my strategy is for him to be his speedy self and run ahead of me and wait in the pic lines for the 5k and 10k so I can just jump in line with him when I catch up.

OK so someone remind me about Dopey and the 5k. I know there's not sweepers for that race, so it's just on you to complete it within 49min? This only matters for "official times"?

I've already informed DH that my strategy is for him to be his speedy self and run ahead of me and wait in the pic lines for the 5k and 10k so I can just jump in line with him when I catch up.

Nobody cares how long it takes you to finish, as long as you cross the finish line. Nobody checks actual times for any Dopey races, just whether you finish.

I did Princess 5K with my mom, who finished DFL. At roughly the two hour mark they start clearing the course and assisting the slower folks along. They will close all remaining photo stops, possibly cut the course and offer push wheelchairs and cart rides to those who need it. They definitely want the last finisher crossing the line before 3 hours after the race start. My mom ended up taking 2:36 to finish.

I created a thread of our experience: https://www.disboards.com/threads/dfl-what-its-like-to-finish-last-in-a-disney-5k.3873825/

Last edited:
Planning question: Will be at WDW from Wed (01.04; 9:30a arrival) to Mon (01.09; 5:30p departure). Running all 4 races with split stay between ASMu and AKL. I definitely want a day at MK (either after 5K or after 10K) and one at Epcot (probably after marathon). After half-marathon will be exploring DS and lolling around the pool.

The question is: would people suggest getting a 3 day park hopper (and combining AK & HS after either 5K or 10K), or a 4 day base (and then would you recommend AK or HS on Expo day)? This would be just me. Running buddies may tag along but we're probably all going to do our own things. I've never been to either AK or HS. Thanks!

Last edited:
SAFD - I'll be following a @DopeyBadger plan, as I have for my last...every marathon except the first one (so, this would be my 7th using a DB plan).

I'm running my first and only Dopey this year, and my plan is just to finish upright. Since blowing up at the Wineglass Marathon in October, I've really given up on running many races or trying to PR at any distance. I think, maybe, after 10 years of running (only taking time off to have my kids) that I might be getting burnt out. I'm a decent runner with decent times, but unless I'm running 6 days/week and a lot more mileage, I'm never going to qualify for Boston or probably even beat 4 hours in the marathon. I like to run for fun, and I think I'd like to transition to less days running and maybe adding swimming in (if gas prices go down and I can afford to drive to the pool!) and taking spinning or something.

I might also be having a really early mid-life crisis at 36 :rotfl2:

Planning question: Will be at WDW from Wed (01.04; 9:30a arrival) to Mon (01.09; 5:30p departure). Running all 4 races with split stay between ASMu and AKL. I definitely want a day at MK (either after 5K or after 10K) and one at Epcot (probably after marathon). After half-marathon will be exploring DS and lolling around the pool.

The question is: would people suggest getting a 3 day park hopper (and combining AK & HS after either 5K or 10K), or a 4 day base (and then would you recommend AK or HS on Expo day)? I've never been to either AK or HS. Thanks!
Ooh, that's tough. I'm going with the four day base because you've never been to either HS or AK and I think both parks are worthy of a full day to explore for a first timer. in HS's case, it's really tough, there are a lot of big rides with long lines that can eat up your day. So here's my idea:

Wednesday: AK day. You'll need to get to the expo at some point, probably the first thing you do? So knock that out first and then spend the rest of the day at AK.
Thursday: HS. The 5k will allow you to get back to your room, shower and change, and get to HS before early opening if you want (and I recommend it!). I did this this year and was able to knock out quite a few rides (starting with Slinky Dog right at opening and including a Rise LL) before lunch.
Friday: Make this your MK day
Saturday: DS and pool, as you mentioned
Sunday: Epcot

I have a friend/co-worker who is doing the Corning Marathon this year. He's done one other one and wants to complete one more (he's 60).

Corning was great. Very small and VERY different from the massive marathons (I think we had ... 1500 people? something like that). For the first time last year the Corning Glass place made a special glass pumpkin just for the marathon - please encourage them to go visit the museum and shop :)

DS and pool is, in my opinion, the best way to spend the post half marathon day during a Dopey experience. I did that this year - hung out at Dockside Margaritas as soon as they opened and drank for a few hours, sitting and overlooking the lake and watching the volcano explode. It was nice and relaxing.

SAFD: Im considering asking @DopeyBadger for a plan, since a 20 mile run is not super realistic for where I’m at in my life right now with a busy job and two kids, and most standard training plans I’ve seen online call for that.
I switched to @DopeyBadger for this very reason.

I learned a lot from the Galloway plans on the runDisney website. That plan helped me move from I can never do this to finishing 8 half marathons and 4 runDisney 10K/Half Marathon challenge weekends. At that point, I started to become much more interested in the marathon. But honestly, the only plan I had ever known was calling for me to devote anywhere from 5-6 hours to running every other Saturday as the marathon got closer because of my slow speed. Billy patiently answered my questions, including my ability to find new ways to ask the same question slightly differently. Other runners here helped reassure me that the methodology worked.

But I only came to understand how and why the methodology worked as I went out there and did the runs. I also learned a lot more. One of my biggest challenges and fears in the marathon was recovery time. I was almost always very sore after the long runs in a Galloway half marathon plan and needed every second of the 2 days off between my Saturday long run and the Tuesday maintenance run. However, I soon learned that when I ran 5 days a week that I was recovering so much faster than when I ran 3 days a week.

Thing is I was still putting in the weekly miles to run a marathon. The only difference is that I spread them over Monday through Friday with longer runs every Saturday.

With any well thought out training plan, there are two keys to success. One is to do the training and the second is to trust the training. No training plan will ever be run perfectly. But consistency in training makes it possible to rebound when life throws a wrench into your race plans. Illness, family responsibilities, and work are just a few of things that can and will disrupt your well laid out plan. You cannot control when they will disrupt your plans, but when you work on making sure you commit to the training when you don't want to run because you feel lazy, that helps give you a base that makes it easier to recover/maintain fitness when life disrupts your plans.

SAFD: I guess you could say I use a sort of Galloway plan, only because that’s what I started with 4-5 years ago. Now I just download the calendar from runDisney to use his weeks as a template and plug in my own numbers based on how it fits my schedule (basically fitting wine and dine as training for dopey) and what my goals are. I generally run 30 (Monday 10, Wed-Sat 5) miles a week all year so I don’t start with his low mileage weeks.
I have found that I like a two week taper rather than three, so usually I end up with a 20 mile run two weeks before dopey and a 5/5/10/20 a month out. These are the most important to me and the rest I sort of just fill in to make sure I get as much mileage as possible without injury 🤞
I have also found lately that I seem to have plateaued in my quest to get faster so I may start looking for something different or reach out to @DopeyBadger so it’s great to see all the different plans everyone here is using

The question is: would people suggest getting a 3 day park hopper (and combining AK & HS after either 5K or 10K), or a 4 day base (and then would you recommend AK or HS on Expo day)? This would be just me. Running buddies may tag along but we're probably all going to do our own things. I've never been to either AK or HS. Thanks!

A few questions that would impact your decision: Will you have your own transportation? Do you have any attractions that you absolutely have to see? Are you willing to be further gouged by purchasing Lightning Lane to get any "E-ticket" rides (please be old enough to understand that reference!)

If it was me, I would opt for a 4 day base. Would do Ak Wednesday and consider getting an ILL for Flight of Passage (it is really worth doing). HS is definitely the park that you want to get to as early as possible--take full advantage of the early resort entry if you can. This past year, studios opened at 9, but guests get 30 minutes early. The day I went, they actually let people in at 8. So you can make a beeline to Galaxy's Edge to do Rise of the Resistance and Smuggler's Run and get those done early.

Ooh, that's tough. I'm going with the four day base because you've never been to either HS or AK and I think both parks are worthy of a full day to explore for a first timer. in HS's case, it's really tough, there are a lot of big rides with long lines that can eat up your day. So here's my idea:

Wednesday: AK day. You'll need to get to the expo at some point, probably the first thing you do? So knock that out first and then spend the rest of the day at AK.
Thursday: HS. The 5k will allow you to get back to your room, shower and change, and get to HS before early opening if you want (and I recommend it!). I did this this year and was able to knock out quite a few rides (starting with Slinky Dog right at opening and including a Rise LL) before lunch.
Friday: Make this your MK day
Sunday: Epcot
Perfect itinerary, thanks so much! And good to know it's possible to still get in for early opening after the 5K
DS and pool is, in my opinion, the best way to spend the post half marathon day during a Dopey experience. I did that this year - hung out at Dockside Margaritas as soon as they opened and drank for a few hours, sitting and overlooking the lake and watching the volcano explode. It was nice and relaxing.
Thanks for the Dockside Margaritas suggestion! Definitely need to still map out what to explore at DS. So many possibilities.
A few questions that would impact your decision: Will you have your own transportation? Do you have any attractions that you absolutely have to see? Are you willing to be further gouged by purchasing Lightning Lane to get any "E-ticket" rides (please be old enough to understand that reference!)

If it was me, I would opt for a 4 day base. Would do Ak Wednesday and consider getting an ILL for Flight of Passage (it is really worth doing). HS is definitely the park that you want to get to as early as possible--take full advantage of the early resort entry if you can. This past year, studios opened at 9, but guests get 30 minutes early. The day I went, they actually let people in at 8. So you can make a beeline to Galaxy's Edge to do Rise of the Resistance and Smuggler's Run and get those done early.
Embarrassed to admit I had to google (but then found out which of the original E-rides are still around today [surprisingly quite a few of them], which is v cool Disney arcana).
Will be relying on Disney transportation, don't really have any must-haves, and on-the-fence about purchasing LL (actually still trying to figure out how it all works), but will be definitely be keeping your and @fatmanatee's LL suggestions at the top of my list. Thank you!

on-the-fence about purchasing LL (actually still trying to figure out how it all works),

A few things that I found during my first Dopey (although admittedly I was at Universal rather than Disney) that might help you on this decision:

- I had lower tolerance than usual for the crowds of people and wait times. I don't know if it was being tired from the early mornings, from the pandemic, or whatever. But by mid to late afternoon, I just didn't want to stand in long lines. If I could get on a ride right away, I was all up for it, but if there was a crowd or a line, I was out.

- Physically, standing still in line was the worst. I wanted to either be moving or sitting. So again, skipping the lines helped me out a lot here.

- Be flexible and be ready to bail on plans as need be. I made sure that I placed my "must do" things either at the start of the trip or after the races were over. I know that flexibility and Disney/Genie+ don't always go together (which is why I stay at Universal, but I digress), but remember that you're there for the races first (at least I assume you are).

Are you sure that you want to do Epcot after the marathon? No castle pics with your medals? (Maybe that's just me?)

- Be flexible and be ready to bail on plans as need be. I made sure that I placed my "must do" things either at the start of the trip or after the races were over. I know that flexibility and Disney/Genie+ don't always go together (which is why I stay at Universal, but I digress), but remember that you're there for the races first (at least I assume you are).
Agreed with the flexible part. Last year I made very few plans for after the races. I didn't even have park reservations most days but made them each day depending on how I felt. I also headed back to the resort as soon as I felt tired.

I have the luxury of having an AP though. I didn't have to plan around ticket purchases and there was no pressure to "make the most of them"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter