Marathon Weekend 2023

SAFD: I'm doing the Chicago marathon in October - this will be my 2nd world major (1st was NYC).
Same for both! (NYC in 2019)

And definitely echoing @cburnett11 about how fun NYC is. It's always a highlight for me to get to cheer at it as well, usually around mile 18.

Also doing the Newport Liberty half in NJ at the end of September for a pre-race (together with friends who are using it as a pre-half for the NYC full).

SAFD

No races for me...so the WDW 10K will be my first race since 2017's Tink Half. I just haven't wanted to do any races lately.

-----

I booked my flights over the weekend! The itinerary I was looking at has good times (that hopefully won't change too much) and is the only non-stop itinerary from my airport that isn't Spirit or Frontier (who get terrible reviews in my area, so I'm afraid to book with them). It still feels super early to book, but I'm not sure how quickly the flights I want fill up since marathon weekend is so close to the holidays this year, so I went ahead and booked. At least I was able to use credit card points.

SAFD: I have a fairly busy race schedule leading up to Marathon Weekend. So far....
  • BIG10K in Chicago yesterday
  • Dim Sum 10K in Chicago on August 6
  • Fort2Base 10 nautical miles (11+ land miles) in suburban Chicago on August 28
  • Quad Cities HM on September 25 (multiple bridge crossings over the Mississippi River between Illinois and Iowa)
  • Some sort of race event on October 9 for my 65th birthday (6.5 miles?)
  • Des Plaines River Trail HM in suburban Chicago on October 15
  • W&D HM on November 6
  • Disney HM on January 7
The DPRT HM is my only "A" race; I treat the others somewhere between a training run and a fun run.

What's on my schedule? A conservative return-to-running protocol. For anyone else who experienced shin splints or a stress fracture who can empathize, this SUCKS! Nonetheless, I completed my first week back to "running" with a walk-run of 9 minutes walking and 1 minute of painfully slow, easy running. The first two interval sessions were questionable, but I believe that it was mostly psychological. However, I did my third session yesterday after work and it felt amazing! I felt like I could just go running at the easy pace on a normal run. I'm going to do the smart thing and stick with the protocol, but I feel like I could go farther with continuous running. Based upon this progress, I think that I'll be able to start my marathon training at the end of August.

Not too much on my schedule, just the Cow Harbor 10K on Sept 17, which is local for me. Possibly a local Halloween 5K, but I'll decide that at the last minute.
Thanks for the reminder of the Cow Harbor! Did that a couple years ago and the finish party was so fun. One of the guys at work does it (and all the local races) every year and mentioned it's the 10K championship this year?

Thanks for the reminder of the Cow Harbor! Did that a couple years ago and the finish party was so fun. One of the guys at work does it (and all the local races) every year and mentioned it's the 10K championship this year?
Yes, it is! That should make it extra fun! It's been a few years since I've run it since I hate hills and it usually turns out hot, but hopefully it will go well!

Quad Cities HM on September 25 (multiple bridge crossings over the Mississippi River between Illinois and Iowa)
The QC half was my first half marathon! I never ran it again despite living in the area for nearly a decade... Turns out running over bridges is less glamorous than it sounds 🤣.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter