Marathon Weekend 2024

After staring at these medals for longer than I care to admit, I think all of them have moving parts except perhaps the 10K and Dopey:
  • It looks like Pluto can slide up and down on the 5K medal
  • I'm not sure how movement would work on the 10K medal if there is any
  • It looks like Donald and Daisy can spin at least part of the circle (but maybe not all the way around? Could be full though after yet another look)
  • It seems as though the "26.2" part of the marathon medal is a spinner
  • It looks like Goofy spins around from the way its built
  • Dopey lights up

Last edited:
I'm not so sure the Goofy medal spins. When you zoom in, it looks like there is a slit behind Goofy, which would mean he likely slides instead of spinning.

I'm not so sure the Goofy medal spins. When you zoom in, it looks like there is a slit behind Goofy, which would mean he likely slides instead of spinning.
Sliding would be a sensible movement to pair with the crossing-the-finish-line image. It's hard to tell what it does, though.

Last edited:

All I care about regarding the medals is this: HOW are people managing to sell them on eBay as of late?! That used to be my thing, but the last few races, I could not seem to get any views or sales on them! I assumed it was because I refused to pay eBay to give my listings more exposure… :rolleyes2

All I care about regarding the medals is this: HOW are people managing to sell them on eBay as of late?! That used to be my thing, but the last few races, I could not seem to get any views or sales on them! I assumed it was because I refused to pay eBay to give my listings more exposure… :rolleyes2

I see them a lot on FB in the Disney running marketplace groups. You don't have to use FB's payment system. I prefer to use PayPal and will send an invoice to the buyer.

I'm with you about the heat - I'm hoping for a PR at the 7 Bridges with this Atlanta heat training.

SAFD: I'll be running the 7 Bridges Marathon in Chattanooga in October. Wine and Dine challenge in November.
Maybe we will run into you on race day. It doesn't look like it's a super huge race. Have you ran it before? I'm wondering how bad parking is.

I signed up for the 10k because I like that distance, but Chip and Dale are my favorites, so I'm so excited to get that medal. :)
I honestly feel like that 10K medal was made for our resident chipmunk lady!

I think you're right after zooming in. Logistically that makes a lot more sense as well and I like it better.

Maybe we will run into you on race day. It doesn't look like it's a super huge race. Have you ran it before? I'm wondering how bad parking is.

I honestly feel like that 10K medal was made for our resident chipmunk lady!
It’s so tempting to do the virtual 10K to get that medal, but money and time are just too tight this time around. It’ll make my 2025 in-person medal all that more special (they better keep Chip & Dale on that medal for at least one more year)

SAFD: Currently training for Berlin - I am getting in the miles but the heat and humidity are killing my pace (and self confidence :rotfl2:). Did an 18 miler yesterday and just felt awful after about mile 10. Lots of walking and talking myself out of bailing! Even starting my run at 5:45 am, it was already 75 and 95% humidity. But no injuries (knock on wood!) so I am hoping that if I keep pushing through I will do better on race day (assuming it is cooler and less humid in northern Germany at the end of September!)
Like @Jason Bryer this will be my 3rd world major, going for the 6 star medal! I have the London marathon in April so that will take me to 4!
Sounds like we are having similar experiences. What is saving my confidence is that I have done some races including a 15k (weekend after July 4th when it was hot), 10miler and half since Dopey 2023 and I did those races more than minute per mile faster than even my easy 5k and 10k weekday runs. I have done a few sub 4 hour marathons so at this point in my life (I turn 46 on Saturday) just finishing the marathon is my goal. Berlin will be #10 and Dopey 2024 #11.

Congrats on getting into London. I didn't make it this year bu twill try for Tokyo next week when the lottery opens.

❗️Warning ❗️ hot take incoming…

giphy.gif

I’m kind of disappointed they released the medal designs so early. My training plan doesn’t even start for another month and it would be nice to have something to look forward to during actual training.

As for the medals themselves, overall I like them. I was very happy when I first saw the marathon medal. The half and the 5K are my favs. @nekonekoneko nailed it when they mentioned they actually look like metal medals. The 10K and Dopey remind me of the rubber 5K medals with all of that color. 😝

hello I am still alive! here for the medal takes, obviously but first:
SAFD: no, lol. I’m attempting a perfect runDisney season & that’s enough!

I like the medals! I agree that Dopey looks cheap/simple compared to the rest. I understand the light feature is their gimmick this year but I don’t know how many people will take medal photos in the dark so I’m not sure if it’s worth it to me. The half is my fav for sure— it’s giving Donald and Daisy in their Speak Now era. I also love the Goofy one! I think I really like the striped ribbons on all of them so I wish I could see that more in the pics (although I only looked on insta— not the blog post).

I don't have any input on eBay but I find of eBay, Poshmark, and Mercari, I like Mercari the best for buying/selling stuff. I just like the interface, and I did see a lot of marathon stuff sold last year. Maybe not the volumes of eBay, but certainly people are looking there too.

I'm on the fence about pre-ordering pins since I only want the medal replicas, I'm not sure if I want to gamble and hope I can get them before they sell out at the expo or fork over the cash and hope I can sell the extras. The 2023 MW pins seemed to sell really well but with all the anniversaries, I feel like it was maybe a bit of an outlier, plus low stock and no preorders. Hopefully 2024 stock will be better.

No fall races for me thankfully! The summer has been ridiculously hot here in MN so I'm glad I didn't sign up for anything. I will be in Hawaii in September and figured I'd be eating and drinking instead of training anyways :rotfl2:

In terms of the medals, I think Goofy is my favorite. The colors and details are so pretty, it reminds me of Poly. I love the design of Goofy himself! The marathon and half are my next favorites, they actually look like they have the same theme. Love the sparkly purple 13, very Taylor Swift of them :laughing:. And love the overall colors of the marathon medal, and the big 26.2 compared to this year's 30. Dopey is my least favorite, just feels less finished. The solid purple background is a little empty looking compared to Goofy which has more texture. It's still cute, just not my favorite. I will absolutely take photos at night so perhaps it will look cool, though with flash, maybe not! The 5k and 10k are cute but nothing special, I guess the acorn 10k is pretty adorable when I think about it more! Agree that the 5k is most like a typical race medal!

❗️Warning ❗️ hot take incoming…

giphy.gif

I’m kind of disappointed they released the medal designs so early. My training plan doesn’t even start for another month and it would be nice to have something to look forward to during actual training.

As for the medals themselves, overall I like them. I was very happy when I first saw the marathon medal. The half and the 5K are my favs. @nekonekoneko nailed it when they mentioned they actually look like metal medals. The 10K and Dopey remind me of the rubber 5K medals with all of that color. 😝
I don’t think this is a hot take! It feels quite early. Was just thinking that if I was doing this weekend I wouldn’t be digging in to a training plan until next month.

Also my ebay take is that I think people who would be spending a lot of money on medals there are instead just going the virtual route 🤷‍♂️. The prices people were willing to pay for some of these were insane for awhile, feels crazy that you could more than pay off race registration, had me very tempted with Dopey 2022.

Have been so sick for the last few days that I am very late to today’s medal release. Generally, I like them; although I’d gladly sign my name to a petition looking to stop gimmicky movement elements. They don’t feel special anymore (and haven’t for a while) and often make the medal feel cheap. I’d much rather see them used sparingly to accent anniversary medals if they have a genuinely good idea.

I like that the 5k, Half and Full look like they are parts of the same set. Disappointed that the 10k doesn’t really have the same continuity to my eye. I like that the Goofy has all the park icons. I’d rather not have a light up function in my medal than have whatever power element is required attached as well.

100% agreed but have resigned myself to the fact now that RunDisney has virtual races they need to sell and I would guess that those sales don't pick up until more people see the medals. On glass half-full side of things, it seems we've gotten into a general release calendar for information about races so we know when to expect themes, medals, etc. Not sure that's a good thing or not (depends on how much you like surprises), but like Christmas, it gives a date to look forward to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter