My Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway Theory

afternoonavenue

Earning My Ears
First-time poster here! I discovered disboards.com through watching the Dis Unplugged podcast on Youtube. You guys are awesome!

So I have a theory about the new attraction. First let me say this is totally speculation but I think it would be a cool idea nonetheless.

This description of the ride was taken from a post on the Disney Parks Blog:
The fun begins when you see the premiere of a new cartoon short with Mickey and Minnie preparing for a picnic. As they head out, they drive alongside a train and find out that the engineer is Goofy. Then, one magical moment lets you step into the movie and on Goofy’s train for a wacky, wild ride.

So here's my theory:

Exhibit A:
mickey-mouse-runaway-railway-disney-world-concept-art-d23-expo-231.jpg

Looking at this concept art we see an audience viewing what appears to be a movie on a screen. Notice there are no cars behind the train in this artwork.

Exhibit B:
mmn02398402938fi-624x351.jpg

In this concept art we see a similar scene but now the train has cars behind it.
Each car appears to about the same size as some of the trackless ride vehicles we have seen at other Disney parks such as Mystic Manor, Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters, etc.

Exhibit C:
mmr02398402394823fi-624x352.jpg

Here we can see guests now behind the train and riding through the attraction.

To sum up my thoughts:
I think that this ride will use trackless ride technology and that the train cars will be arranged like theater seats when you load at the start of the attraction. At some point you will go bursting through the screen or something will happen that will cause all of the seats in the theater to move and attach to goofy's train and continue throughout the attraction.

This is just a theory but it does seem somewhat plausible. I'm excited to see what they do with this attraction, it seems really unique!

What are your thoughts on my theory and are you excited for this attraction?

First-time poster here! I discovered disboards.com through watching the Dis Unplugged podcast on Youtube. You guys are awesome!

So I have a theory about the new attraction. First let me say this is totally speculation but I think it would be a cool idea nonetheless.

So here's my theory:

Exhibit A:

Looking at this concept art we see an audience viewing what appears to be a movie on a screen. Notice there are no cars behind the train in this artwork.

Exhibit B:

In this concept art we see a similar scene but now the train has cars behind it.
Each car appears to about the same size as some of the trackless ride vehicles we have seen at other Disney parks such as Mystic Manor, Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters, etc.

Exhibit C:

To sum up my thoughts:
I think that this ride will use trackless ride technology and that the train cars will be arranged like theater seats when you load at the start of the attraction. At some point you will go bursting through the screen or something will happen that will cause all of the seats in the theater to move and attach to goofy's train and continue throughout the attraction.

This is just a theory but it does seem somewhat plausible. I'm excited to see what they do with this attraction, it seems really unique!

I like your idea, and I’m VERY excited about this coming attraction!

I think your theory sounds very plausible. I have a feeling they will turn the Great Movie Ride into a track filled with video screens. The cars from Great Movie Ride will be recycled along with the track that it uses
I've never been to Disney World so I never got to ride TGMR. but weren't those ride vehicles much larger? Wouldn't they be too big based on what we see in the concept art?

They definitely were larger but not huge. If I remember correctly they sat about 5 people across and maybe 8-10 rows per car. It seems like they almost have to be using the existing system in some way since the turnaround from TGMR to MMRR is relatively quick as far as just the project usually go.

So here's my theory:

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exhibit C:

To sum up my thoughts:

Yes it will be an LPS trackless ride. You will be on a train driven by Goofy.

Exhibit A is the pre show I believe.

I like your theory and think it is completely plausible. One question I have is will Goofy be an animatronic or a projection/video or a combination.

I like your theory and think it is completely plausible. One question I have is will Goofy be an animatronic or a projection/video or a combination.
From what I've read/seen in concept art it looks like Goofy will be projected. I believe Mickey & Minnie are the only animatronics in the attraction.

Anyone else think the new animation style for the characters is ugly or is it just me? That, plus the loss of GMR and the likelihood that this new ride seems likely to be mainly a bunch of screens has me disappointed, not something I thought I would say about a ride featuring Mickey and friends.

Anyone else think the new animation style for the characters is ugly or is it just me? That, plus the loss of GMR and the likelihood that this new ride seems likely to be mainly a bunch of screens has me disappointed, not something I thought I would say about a ride featuring Mickey and friends.

Completely agree, I absolutely hate the way the new cartoons are animated and it's seriously affecting how excited I am for this ride. I really want to support Disney whenever they do 2D-animated work, but that's hard to do in cases like this. Goofy looks absolutely grotesque.

Completely agree, I absolutely hate the way the new cartoons are animated and it's seriously affecting how excited I am for this ride. I really want to support Disney whenever they do 2D-animated work, but that's hard to do in cases like this. Goofy looks absolutely grotesque.

Agreed. While at Disney I watched a lot of these cartoons in the hotel room, and did not like the vibe

It's basically Ren and Stimpy with Mickey and company. But while the animation is that odd "grotesque" style, overall, the stories I've seen are pretty funny .. similar to the old shorts back in the 30, 40s and 50s. The problem is the funny antics are disrupted by the grotesque animation or grotesque bits of humor thrown in. (Like the old Ren/Stimpy style of "closeups" or "potty humor" or things like that.

I think they are making a poor choice using this animation style for sure .. these cartoons feel more geared towards tweens and teenagers and 20-somethings (like Ren and Stimpy was) .. NOT children. It feels like it will date the attraction too much too.

I am sort of torn as I don't love it - especially Goofy - they do look a bit more like the original Mickey styling so it has a bit of a retro look to them

I think the ride should use a combination of physical props and screens - and it will be layers of screens that fit in the space, not just staring at a wall of screen.

They definitely were larger but not huge. If I remember correctly they sat about 5 people across and maybe 8-10 rows per car. It seems like they almost have to be using the existing system in some way since the turnaround from TGMR to MMRR is relatively quick as far as just the project usually go.

If I recall correctly the ride is changing quite a bit of TGMR layout and also is shorter (not using the full space), and definitely will be smaller cars and a different ride system.

I think they are wanting to go faster with this than typical rides due to wanting it open prior to Galaxy's Edge opens. Plus, even if changing the layout the physical building is still there so they don't need to build anything like that

It's basically Ren and Stimpy with Mickey and company. But while the animation is that odd "grotesque" style, overall, the stories I've seen are pretty funny .. similar to the old shorts back in the 30, 40s and 50s. The problem is the funny antics are disrupted by the grotesque animation or grotesque bits of humor thrown in. (Like the old Ren/Stimpy style of "closeups" or "potty humor" or things like that.

I think they are making a poor choice using this animation style for sure .. these cartoons feel more geared towards tweens and teenagers and 20-somethings (like Ren and Stimpy was) .. NOT children. It feels like it will date the attraction too much too.

YES. Ren & Stimpy is the perfect comparison in terms of animation style.

On the animation note, we really like the new style. Retro-modern. They seem to be targeting a little bit older kids, and my kids really like it. On our last visit, we would have it on any time we were in the room. They were 7 and 10.

I get it may not be for everyone, but the Clubhouse cartoons aren't going to do much for anyone north of preschool.

If I recall correctly the ride is changing quite a bit of TGMR layout and also is shorter (not using the full space), and definitely will be smaller cars and a different ride system.

I think they are wanting to go faster with this than typical rides due to wanting it open prior to Galaxy's Edge opens. Plus, even if changing the layout the physical building is still there so they don't need to build anything like that
That’s unfortunate they’re not using the full space. Obviously that could mean they’re using 3/4, 1/2, or 1/4 of the full building (I don’t think that’s known right now) but it seems like they could have made a longer ride or 2 tracks to increase capacity. But it’s also pointless of me to criticize a ride that’s still a half year-full year from opening

I don't know why but I'm more excited for this attraction than Star War Land haha. As for the animation style, the only thing I really don't like is the way Goofy is drawn. Everything else I like a lot. I personally don't feel like the attraction will include much of the gross out humor you see in the new cartoons.

That’s unfortunate they’re not using the full space. Obviously that could mean they’re using 3/4, 1/2, or 1/4 of the full building (I don’t think that’s known right now) but it seems like they could have made a longer ride or 2 tracks to increase capacity. But it’s also pointless of me to criticize a ride that’s still a half year-full year from opening

I think they are using most of it (like 80%) and without like the ending part with the films and stuff the actual ride path might not be *that* much shorter

I think they are using most of it (like 80%) and without like the ending part with the films and stuff the actual ride path might not be *that* much shorter
Gotcha. It’s funny, I was going to pose the question in one of these threads about how much of the footprint they’re using and the hypothetical ride capacity (which I’m guessing no one has any idea about this stage) and then I saw your post

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter