My son won’t eat bacon is this normal or should I worry?

I remember the first time my son was at a friends house for his first ever sleepover, he must have been 8-9 and he came home and said "Bobby's mom made bacon and it is so delicious." It's just not something we ate at the time ( we were a ham with breakfast family) so he never tried it before, LOL
She fueled the beast, he loves bacon.
They are now about to turn 27 years old and still best buds!

No not weird. But... that doesn't mean he may not have a weaker stomach than the average person where fried or greasy food is concerned. I have a friend whose daughter didn't like a lot of typical kid fare. She preferred veggies and fruits. She's now a teen and they've learned she suffers from pretty wicked heartburn. She was essentially self-managing from a young age, and they just didn't realize it. So, his reaction to greasy food may be stronger than most people for a particular reason. Lucky for him, he'll be healthier for it.

Is it unusual for a young kid to not like any kind of food like that? Yeah. Reality is most kids do, to varying degrees. But there's absolutely zero wrong with it if he doesn't. Good for him. His tastes may change, who knows. I don't think there's anything wrong with a kid who likes McDonalds, or bacon, or cheeseburgers. It's just the parent/guardian who doesn't make sure the kid eats it in moderation that creates the issues. If he doesn't want to eat it, that's his choice and perfectly fine.

So much about this post confuses me.

Someone gave you a garden for checking a young child's cholesterol? Anyone was surprised that a young child has normal levels?

A lot of kids actually have high cholesterol. Where I live they test all kids' cholesterol at age 9, my son (who has been a vegetarian for years; he eats no animal products) had high cholesterol. It runs in my DH's side of the family, and doesn't seem to be linked with heart issues in any way.

His pediatrician wanted us to both change his diet (how, I don't know; I don't think she believed us that he's a vegetarian) and consider some sort of medication, but we said no. I have a good friend who is a cardiologist and he didn't believe it was warranted.

I don't get the whole bacon craze. I'll eat a BLT every now and again. If I have a couple strips with breakfast once or twice a year I enjoy. It's just not something that is all that for me. And it better be good quality and crispy or don't bother.

As far as the fast food, I never really had fast food when I was really young. My family rarely ate out and when we did it wasn't fast food. Once I had access to fast food it didn't take long before I realized it's not my friend. I guess I liked it okay, but it just doesn't like me back. That may be the case for your son too, OP.

That is correct, it was a program our dr office was offering, to promote healthy eating, you would be surprised to find out most parents didn’t want to do it. His dr said that a few kids did already have high cholesterol, all the fast food kids eat nowadays?? Idk maybe to much bacon lol
We live in very rocky soil so it was so worth it! Now I have some nice garden beds with great soil in them. Btw my sister didn’t want to go it
Obesity is an epidemic in many parts of the western world; so many kids are overweight and under-active (not DIS kids, of course ;) ). It should come as no surprise children can begin to suffer the same health effects as adults, including Type 2 Diabetes and cardio/pulmonary issues like high cholesterol. I like the idea of increased awareness and learning about healthy living but unfortunately it may only be people who are already pretty diligent in those ways that would be interested in participating. Just curious but would you mind saying if your sister and her kids are normal/healthy weights?

Speaking of fast food places, it really is amazing how much they've changed over the years. Use McD's as an example. When I was growing up, for the most part your choices were hamburger or cheeseburger and french fries. Heaven forbid you wanted it "custom", say without ketchup, they'd look at you like you had 7 heads.

Fast forward to today. If you want something really unhealthy, they'll still be happy to accommodate. Some of the stuff I've seen is crazy...triple cheeseburger with 13 slices of cheese, 9 slices of bacon and special sauce made with grease drippings from the deep fryer (I'm kidding of course, but still). But to their credit, if you want to eat healthy, you can reasonably do so. Grilled chicken salad (ask for it with no dressing), etc... Quite an interesting array of choices.

The only meat my kid eats is chicken and that is rare. She won't even TRY a hamburger, much less a piece of bacon.

Consider yourself lucky, my daughter only eats bacon:D it was the first meat she ever ate. I would have to make the whole pound. Lol. Now shes better tries diffrent things at 7 , some stuff she used to eat she dosent now, and other stuff she hated she eats. As long as they eat and gain weight its all good. Dont over think the small stuff.

Side note, my daughter when learning that pork chops, bacon and such came from a pig, she had to school a woman at the grocery store how the pig is the Tastiest animal in the world. :-)

So much about this post confuses me.

Someone gave you a garden for checking a young child's cholesterol? Anyone was surprised that a young child has normal levels?

I am not quite sure how you give someone a garden first off- to me the garden is something that is in your back yard like a big patch of land filled with flowers? But either way I wish someone gave me something every time my daughter had hers checked as a little kid with all her other yearly bloodwork at her annual physical LOL. Only thing I got out of it was the 20.00 co pay I was allowed to pay LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter