New 2018 TIcket Prices

Yes but that’s not what Walt intended.
He wanted everyone to enjoy his parks
just the rich.

I believe the quote was “parents and children can play together”. Nothing about economic class or affordability. Walt was first and foremost a businessman.

I love Disney as much as anyone, but “a trip to Disney World” is *not* one of the unalienable rights set forth in the Declaration of Independence.

I believe the quote was “parents and children can play together”. Nothing about economic class or affordability. Walt was first and foremost a businessman.

I love Disney as much as anyone, but “a trip to Disney World” is *not* one of the unalienable rights set forth in the Declaration of Independence.
Totally agree. Disney shouldn’t be held to a different standard than any other corporation just because people are nostalgic about its theme parks. Whether it makes sense from a business standpoint, to recognize, appreciate, and cultivate that nostalgia is a different issue.

Yes but that’s not what Walt intended.
He wanted everyone to enjoy his parks
just the rich.

I totally get what you're saying, and I somewhat agree with you, but I do think WDW has tried to keep the option of somewhat affordable trips possible. WDW is expensive, we all know that, but you don't have to go all out to have a good time. I like there are options for different budgets.

A single mother my wife works with made a WDW trip work for her and her budget. Her and her 2 children took advantage of a promo last summer, I think it was 5 days/4 nights at All stars, with standard tickets and 1 QS meal per day, I think it was around 2200 dollars or so. They drove to save money (about 18 hours), saved money where they could on food expenses, and set souvenir and spending money budgets for everyone. They had a fantastic time. Can they go annually? No, but it wasn't out of reach for her with some planning, saving and taking advantage of a promo offer.

WDW is expensive, and it's going to keep getting worse. They're looking at a big increase in payroll costs as the new union agreement will probably (deservedly so) increase wages across the board for the tens of thousands of employees it takes to make WDW run like it does. They're pumping billions into new rides and expansions. If they can help offset that by charging more for extras from people willing to pay for them, while trying to keep the basics somewhat affordable I'm OK with that trade off.

Oooh another thread that's veered into the same debate. Can we please stop rehashing the same debate in every thread?

Here are the new DISboards abbreviations to save everyone some typing:
1. If you want to say, "the middle class can't afford WDW- just type: MClassNO.
2. if you want to say, nobody is entitled to go to WDW, just type, "Nahbady." We'll get it.
3. if you want to say, Disney is a company out to make $, or WDw gets to increase profits as they wish, or something similar, just type, "WDW $-$$$:)."

This is a tired response. Why do you go to the extreme that people are advocating for it to be a "right"....no one is doing that. we are however making it clear that a trip to Disney has become more and more of a hardship for middle class folks, never mind lower middle class folks. It was not always this way. Disney has taken the very cynical approach that as long as the bottom line stays the same, they would prefer a higher income bracket in their parks

Oooh another thread that's veered into the same debate. Can we please stop rehashing the same debate in every thread?

Here are the new DISboards abbreviations to save everyone some typing:
1. If you want to say, "the middle class can't afford WDW- just type: MClassNO.
2. if you want to say, nobody is entitled to go to WDW, just type, "Nahbady." We'll get it.
3. if you want to say, Disney is a company out to make $, or WDw gets to increase profits as they wish, or something similar, just type, "WDW $-$$$:)."
I have been on this site since 2001, and i have zero problem rehashing this debate every time they increase prices.....of course it was much easier to afford back in 2001

So, let's say you are a family of 4 and are visiting on March 8th (a day with an Disney After Hours event). You could actually spend a total of $971.32 on admissions for the day ($116.09 for regular park admission plus $126.74 for DAH). That is just on admissions only, no food, drink or souvenirs. Incredible.

$250 per person isn't horrible when you think that's what it costs to go see a Broadway play or a top flight concert. (and the $116 seems like a deal compared to that!)

One thing I bet on was a statement in the Unofficial Guide that said while the tickets I bought in January do expire at the end of the year, I can apply the cost of the tickets to new ones next year at the prevailing price.

Now - that seemed almost too good to be true - and I'm sure they have all kinds of legal disclaimers that don't hold them liable in case Disney changes that - or if that info was incorrect in the first place.

But I figured it was worth the risk - it's highly unlikely we won't go this July - but if we don't and if the Unofficial Guide was wrong, my wife and I are out almost $1000.

One more point - yes, Disney keeps getting more expensive. Everyone has their own personal "pain point" - and the only thing I see happening in general is that people will go less often. But more and more people will decide to go.

I'm part of the boomer gen. And my gen's kids are by and large at the age of having kids THEY want to take to Disney. With us - the grandparents (like our coming trip will be.)

Couple that with people living longer and in some sense feeling/acting younger than that age used to imply (I'm 66 and plan on going on all the same types of rides I always did - in my 30s, 40s ad 50s). There just is a LOT more people that find a Disney trip very enjoyable and exciting.

Just not every year or two.

I honestly believe i am finally priced out of the annual pass.....I re-upped last year under protest, but I just cant fathom paying that much. especially considering it looks like there is no longer a discount for DVC on the gold pass

The Gold pass is only available to DVC & FL residents. Priced at $589 vs. $729 it is $140 "discount" off the traditional "annual pass" It just started 10/4/2015, so 2 years and 4 months. It has blackout dates, and the significantly cheaper price than the Platinum is why people buy it, even with the blackout dates. So Yes, you are still "getting a discount for DVC on the Gold pass".

Edit to add: the Platinum (annual pass) is $729 for DVC, $849 for others, so you still get a $120 DVC discount, and no blackout dates.

Last edited:
We are a family that likes to travel other places (Europe, National Parks, etc), but we also love to travel to Disney. With the price increases and cutback in recent years, our trips to Disney have been cut down to a one or two days here and there. We have not done any 5-7 night trips as a family since 2013.

DW and I ran Dopey this year, but we left the kids at home. I do not see us going back before 2020 at the earliest. We can take longer trips to other places where our expenses will be less or just the same as what Disney is now charging.

However, as long as people keep packing the place, they will keep raising rates.

One thing I bet on was a statement in the Unofficial Guide that said while the tickets I bought in January do expire at the end of the year, I can apply the cost of the tickets to new ones next year at the prevailing price.

Now - that seemed almost too good to be true - and I'm sure they have all kinds of legal disclaimers that don't hold them liable in case Disney changes that - or if that info was incorrect in the first place.

It's absolutely true.

That has been Disney's stated position regarding these tickets since they were initiated on Feb. 12, 2017.

I think your memory is failing. Those were $595.34 each.

Some of us were able to renew for around $500...

I just remember it being over $500...and while my memory may be foggy on my good days, I maintain I'm glad I bought the passes when I did.

It sounds like you purchased a new pass, if you’re activating this coming Dec. Those were closer to $600.

Last edited:

Never said it was an unalienable right.
Just saying that Walt wasn't in it just for the money like the Disney company is today.
Now, they're staying up at night trying to think of ways to squeeze more change out of their guests.
I've been going to Disney World for 40 years and the company today is only focused on one thing, making as much money as possible from their guests.

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn’t go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money" - Walt Disney

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter