• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Epcot Resort coming soon?

Disney never has cared about Construction ruining a experience. After All even after Fantasy Land was done and open over at MK we still had the crane near the castle while they improved the hub. Construction and Disney goes hand in hand and Disney knows people might gripe about the site lines and the eye sores that is a active construction site but we keep going and spending so we must not care all that much. The reason why they would want to put another resort near Epcot besides the Riveria is because they are heading to Epcot after DHS, Riveria is a good middle ground for between DHS and Epcot, but the Star Wars Hotel is going to be DHS prime, if they are then going to throw money at Epcot, one that is Epcot Prime makes since. As for Epcot not handling the crowds, you have to remember that Epcot is alot bigger than MK so its crowd capacity is much larger then it currently sees.

Disney never has cared about Construction ruining a experience. After All even after Fantasy Land was done and open over at MK we still had the crane near the castle while they improved the hub. Construction and Disney goes hand in hand and Disney knows people might gripe about the site lines and the eye sores that is a active construction site but we keep going and spending so we must not care all that much. The reason why they would want to put another resort near Epcot besides the Riveria is because they are heading to Epcot after DHS, Riveria is a good middle ground for between DHS and Epcot, but the Star Wars Hotel is going to be DHS prime, if they are then going to throw money at Epcot, one that is Epcot Prime makes since. As for Epcot not handling the crowds, you have to remember that Epcot is alot bigger than MK so its crowd capacity is much larger then it currently sees.
In all my visits to WDW I’ve never found construction at the parks unbearable or a huge impact on my vacation. Even right now DHS work is out of the guest way. I only visited once during the new fantasyland project and the dumbo area was already open so I can’t speak for that as much but that didn’t seem too bad to me either. The hub was a needed expansion and they tried to make it more bearable doing it in sections. So that said I do think they care a bit about the show during construction.

I've been there on a Saturday for Food and Wine. It was packed. I don't think they could go higher than I saw that weekend.

I don't think AK is really in demand. That area is also so far from everything else.

For the 5th gate I don't think land quality and cost are the biggest reasons they don't do it.

I think a fifth gate is just too much for most people to pack into their vacations so WDW starts cannibalizing itself.

The only way I see this happening is if Galaxy Edge and all these new attractions resort-wide don't increase WDW attendance and Universal continues to explode and take even greater market share.

So...if Disney goes for a fifth gate it will be in desperation against Universal and their 4 gates.

Last edited:

I think a fifth gate is just too much for most people to pack into their vacations so WDE starts cannibalizing itself.

The only way I see this happening is if Galaxy Edge and all these new attractions resort-wide don't increase WDW attendance and Universal continues to explode and take even greater market share.

So...if Disney goes for a fifth gate it will be in desperation against Universal and their 4 gates.

That depends on if people are coming for 1 week (5-7 days) or 2 weeks (10-14 days). For the 10-14 day crowd, a 5th Gate could work to keep them at Disney the entire trip instead of spending a couple days at Universal. For the 5-7 day crowd, it would cannibalize the other parks.

That depends on if people are coming for 1 week (5-7 days) or 2 weeks (10-14 days). For the 10-14 day crowd, a 5th Gate could work to keep them at Disney the entire trip instead of spending a couple days at Universal. For the 5-7 day crowd, it would cannibalize the other parks.
True...but from what I understand, the vast majority of guests are the 5-7 day guests.

In all my visits to WDW I’ve never found construction at the parks unbearable or a huge impact on my vacation. Even right now DHS work is out of the guest way. I only visited once during the new fantasyland project and the dumbo area was already open so I can’t speak for that as much but that didn’t seem too bad to me either. The hub was a needed expansion and they tried to make it more bearable doing it in sections. So that said I do think they care a bit about the show during construction.

To that, I see construction as a necessary evil type of thing. It shows they're investing in the property and trying to improve the resort as a whole. It's icing that they do go the extra mile to minimize the ugliness whenever they can.

Hmm Im not sure how much a 5th Gate would Cannibalize other parks, Everyone Disneys Differently, I mean you could make a argument that for the Families that do Disney Springs as a Day or a Resort Pool as a Day already Cannibalize Disney Parks in a 5-7 Day stay. Not every family does either of those things but still the argument could be made. I dont think Disney would mind if Park Crowds spread out over more of there properties, because as long as your spending money they are happy. A new park would bring in New Merch and more stuff to sell. Also you have to think of how some people love to Park Hop, By Adding a new Gate, and doing EMH hours at the new park, Disney promotes people staying on Property be it Disney Resorts or Disney Partner Resorts, furthers the pull of staying within the Disney bubble.

Now I am not saying we are near a 5th Gate yet, I am just saying the argument that it would cannibalize is not a black and white argument

For the American market most guests are only coming for 5-7 days. Vacation time is limited.

Hmm Im not sure how much a 5th Gate would Cannibalize other parks, Everyone Disneys Differently, I mean you could make a argument that for the Families that do Disney Springs as a Day or a Resort Pool as a Day already Cannibalize Disney Parks in a 5-7 Day stay. Not every family does either of those things but still the argument could be made. I dont think Disney would mind if Park Crowds spread out over more of there properties, because as long as your spending money they are happy. A new park would bring in New Merch and more stuff to sell. Also you have to think of how some people love to Park Hop, By Adding a new Gate, and doing EMH hours at the new park, Disney promotes people staying on Property be it Disney Resorts or Disney Partner Resorts, furthers the pull of staying within the Disney bubble.

Now I am not saying we are near a 5th Gate yet, I am just saying the argument that it would cannibalize is not a black and white argument
I disagree I think a 5th gate would hurt the other parks except for probably MK. Disney needs to invest in the current parks more than they need a 5th gate.

Let’s say I spend 2 days at MK now and one at each other park. Add a 5th gate. I’m most likely to take away that extra MK day but now I’m not getting as much done at MK because no way can I get everything done in one day with crowds. For myself I wouldn’t be disappointed much because I’ll be back most likely but what about the guest who isn’t coming back every year?

To that, I see construction as a necessary evil type of thing. It shows they're investing in the property and trying to improve the resort as a whole. It's icing that they do go the extra mile to minimize the ugliness whenever they can.
Yep, look at the themed scrims they use. They don’t have to do that.

I disagree I think a 5th gate would hurt the other parks except for probably MK. Disney needs to invest in the current parks more than they need a 5th gate.

Let’s say I spend 2 days at MK now and one at each other park. Add a 5th gate. I’m most likely to take away that extra MK day but now I’m not getting as much done at MK because no way can I get everything done in one day with crowds. For myself I wouldn’t be disappointed much because I’ll be back most likely but what about the guest who isn’t coming back every year?

See thats the point you MK 2 days, just to get everything done, that is part of the reason why MK is always the highest attendance Park. Its all your fault Rteetz lol JK, but you do make a point in that people would leave feel like they havent done everything, Disney wants you to come back or extend your vacation. A 5th gate just gives people more reasons to come back or stay longer. Yes I understand in the US, vacation time is a more limited experience then in the EU but thats not a problem Disney should be concerned with. Disney has the If you build it, they will come mentality, thats why they can and do raise prices so often, thats why any reason to keep you in the bubble is a good move for Disney. Again I dont see a 5th park anywhere in the near future, because they already are spending so much on the rest of the parks getting it ready for the 50th and expansions and much needed love to Epcot, but a 5th Gate doesn't depend on Cannibalizing or the American Vacation allotment, it all depends on the money it could bring in vs the cost of building and running.

See thats the point you MK 2 days, just to get everything done, that is part of the reason why MK is always the highest attendance Park. Its all your fault Rteetz lol JK, but you do make a point in that people would leave feel like they havent done everything, Disney wants you to come back or extend your vacation. A 5th gate just gives people more reasons to come back or stay longer. Yes I understand in the US, vacation time is a more limited experience then in the EU but thats not a problem Disney should be concerned with. Disney has the If you build it, they will come mentality, thats why they can and do raise prices so often, thats why any reason to keep you in the bubble is a good move for Disney. Again I dont see a 5th park anywhere in the near future, because they already are spending so much on the rest of the parks getting it ready for the 50th and expansions and much needed love to Epcot, but a 5th Gate doesn't depend on Cannibalizing or the American Vacation allotment, it all depends on the money it could bring in vs the cost of building and running.
I agree for the most part. I would also add the employment issue in Orlando is a big part of it as well. Universal builds more resorts and another gate, Disney builds more, then theoretically add a Disney 5th gate and how many employees do you have left?

I agree for the most part. I would also add the employment issue in Orlando is a big part of it as well. Universal builds more resorts and another gate, Disney builds more, then theoretically add a Disney 5th gate and how many employees do you have left?
As a thought if Disney was able to somehow tap into the Retired Persons Market, they wouldnt need to worry about labor. You do make a fair point though, Labor cost and supply are a big issue for both WDW, Uni and Sea. Who knows we might see Disney actually think of something innovative on that front, Maybe the next park if it happens will be a completely Futuristic world and all be run by Robots, computer AI and just a few bodies here and there to load and sell the merch.

As a thought if Disney was able to somehow tap into the Retired Persons Market, they wouldnt need to worry about labor. You do make a fair point though, Labor cost and supply are a big issue for both WDW, Uni and Sea. Who knows we might see Disney actually think of something innovative on that front, Maybe the next park if it happens will be a completely Futuristic world and all be run by Robots, computer AI and just a few bodies here and there to load and sell the merch.
Tapping into the retired market for employment, is a tough one. In general people who go into retirement are not looking to work.
It doesn't mean retired folks wouldn't do a little work here and there, but in general they will not be able to give the hours a non retired person would.

I could understand adding a 5th gate if the premise (and the data backed up the premise) that doing so would alleviate crowds enough to where you wouldn't need 2-3 days at MK to get fulfillment, ultimately making all the parks a "one day" park.

However, I don't see that ever being the case. Certainly not in the current economy where it's more and more affordable to go. Not to mention the "crowd" debate is often hinged on staffing as much as it is the actual number of people in the park, meaning to alleviate crowds (caused by Disney's own low-staffing/low-overhead logic) they'd have to spend more money.

IOW, this whole notion of adding another gate to lower crowds vs Disney limiting staffing to save money, thus causing larger crowds via extended wait/queue times is about as FUBAR'd of logic as I could fathom...

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I can never make a decision. My brain operates strictly in the "but if" realm.

For the American market most guests are only coming for 5-7 days. Vacation time is limited.
I am beginning to wonder if this is the real issue or not. Granted, I am going off my own experience....
But on a 7 day trip - currently my family and I would spend 2 days at MK, 1 day at EPCOT, 1 day at DHS and 1 day at AK, Then we would take a day to do water park for half a day and Downtown disney for the other. that still leaves us with a day...

Now, how you account for travel could make that a half day.

Will this change with SW:GE,MMRR and TSL? ...probably, with wait times and such you may need to spend more than a day to do all you want.

But I can see families making allowances to do 5 parks in 7 days. We would probably dump the water park/shopping day.

Yes, for those on 5 days or less, a trade will have to happen. but 7 days and 5 parks to me is doable. Depending on what they would go with for the 5th gate, and what the draw would be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter