• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We managed to be one of the first ten people on the Falcon today! We had magic morning and then about 15 mins prior to park opening we lined up at the entrance by Fantasyland- we made it on quite easily and it was a crowded morning. Just a tip if anyone else has MM and wants to try that!

We managed to be one of the first ten people on the Falcon today! We had magic morning and then about 15 mins prior to park opening we lined up at the entrance by Fantasyland- we made it on quite easily and it was a crowded morning. Just a tip if anyone else has MM and wants to try that!
Did you get the porg? I remember you wanting one

Me too. I do wonder what they will do on the Saturday of opening weekend, when there are EMH/MM at DL. In Florida, it was a bit of a cluster on the one day that DHS had EMH in the morning, so now they have moved all of the DHS EMH to night time, and they are just opening the entire park earlier for everyone (some days are 6am openings I think!). We will be there at DL on that Saturday and I am afraid of the chaos!!!
Ditto, I wasn't afraid of SWGE or SM early on and experienced it several times with minimal to bearable crowds, but RotR is a game changer especially on a holiday weekend. Wish us luck...

Ditto, I wasn't afraid of SWGE or SM early on and experienced it several times with minimal to bearable crowds, but RotR is a game changer especially on a holiday weekend. Wish us luck...
We will be right there with you. It looks like they changed the opening procedure again at WDW today, now opening the taps 30 minutes before official park opening time, but not opening the ability to book a Boarding Group until park opening. This eliminated the advantage of getting there at the crack of dawn, since many guests were already through the taps at park opening when the BGs opened. So the people who had been in line the longest did not necessarily get the earliest BG. There were some tired, mad folks to be sure. Will keep watching the WDW threads and try to figure out the best strategy for our days at DLR on opening weekend of ROTR. I have a feeling whatever happens, we will still get there really early and just gut it out and hope for the best!

We will be right there with you. It looks like they changed the opening procedure again at WDW today, now opening the taps 30 minutes before official park opening time, but not opening the ability to book a Boarding Group until park opening. This eliminated the advantage of getting there at the crack of dawn, since many guests were already through the taps at park opening when the BGs opened. So the people who had been in line the longest did not necessarily get the earliest BG. There were some tired, mad folks to be sure. Will keep watching the WDW threads and try to figure out the best strategy for our days at DLR on opening weekend of ROTR. I have a feeling whatever happens, we will still get there really early and just gut it out and hope for the best!
Very curious how they will operate RotR opening at DL. If they start with the current/new WDW procedure (allow guests thru the gates early, but not open the VQ until official opening time) the only advantage to getting to the park a little early is to make sure you don't get too delayed by crowds.

I could be wrong, but I feel like DL security/gate cannot handle a "crush" of people as well as DHS seems to. I'm surprised every day when someone posts something like: arrive at DHS at 6:30, thru security 6:40, and into the park at 6:45! I feel like it would take longer at DL under very crowded conditions.

DL is currently scheduled to open at 8am on Jan 17. Let's say they let people into the park by 7:30 (although I can see them opening the gates earlier if it's super packed), and don't open the BGs until 8am. In that scenario, there's not much advantage to arriving super early, as long as you are there early enough to get through the gate by 8am. Going to be interesting to see what they choose to do.

But now that they've had WDW to test the procedure out, I hope they at least announce what they are going to do in advance (and stick to it!) so it's not a free-for-all guess on the first day.

Very curious how they will operate RotR opening at DL. If they start with the current/new WDW procedure (allow guests thru the gates early, but not open the VQ until official opening time) the only advantage to getting to the park a little early is to make sure you don't get too delayed by crowds.

I could be wrong, but I feel like DL security/gate cannot handle a "crush" of people as well as DHS seems to. I'm surprised every day when someone posts something like: arrive at DHS at 6:30, thru security 6:40, and into the park at 6:45! I feel like it would take longer at DL under very crowded conditions.

DL is currently scheduled to open at 8am on Jan 17. Let's say they let people into the park by 7:30 (although I can see them opening the gates earlier if it's super packed), and don't open the BGs until 8am. In that scenario, there's not much advantage to arriving super early, as long as you are there early enough to get through the gate by 8am. Going to be interesting to see what they choose to do.

But now that they've had WDW to test the procedure out, I hope they at least announce what they are going to do in advance (and stick to it!) so it's not a free-for-all guess on the first day.

Being a Disneyland AP and experiencing the attraction at WDW, I would hope they just do what they have done with Smugglers Run. Use Stand By and give everyone a chance to ride it if you are willing to stand in line. DO NOT use FP or a BG option.

However, I expect the BG to be used. Once you scan into a park you can add yourself a BG. Similar to how MaxPass currently works.
The issue comes with, does that mean I can scan into California Adventure and get BG as well.
Due to the DLR parks being so close together, many guests park hop.
Again the option in my opinion for DLR is just keep it Stand By only.

ME

Being a Disneyland AP and experiencing the attraction at WDW, I would hope they just do what they have done with Smugglers Run. Use Stand By and give everyone a chance to ride it if you are willing to stand in line. DO NOT use FP or a BG option.

However, I expect the BG to be used. Once you scan into a park you can add yourself a BG. Similar to how MaxPass currently works.
The issue comes with, does that mean I can scan into California Adventure and get BG as well.
Due to the DLR parks being so close together, many guests park hop.
Again the option in my opinion for DLR is just keep it Stand By only.

ME
The problem with standby is that’s a lot of people to clear from line, possibly multiple times per day, if the DL version isn’t any more reliable than the WDW version.

...I expect the BG to be used. Once you scan into a park you can add yourself a BG. Similar to how MaxPass currently works.
I also expect (and want) BG to be used.
Another question is will MaxPass be required to join a BG through the app.

I see no reason why you'd be able to get two BGs for having parkhoppers. That isn't how WDW is working.

MaxPass was not necessary to join a Boarding Group when they were using that for the first day of Galaxy's Edge opening. I don't see why they would make it necessary now. You could join through the App without having MaxPass, you just had to be scanned into Disneyland.

I know everything is extremely subject to change, but as of right now, is there any advantage to staying in a Disneyland resort hotel for getting into galaxies edge? And to the new ride when it opens?

We will be out there in late February and I’m trying to decide if I should splurge on a Disney hotel room or just stick with a cheaper option.

I know everything is extremely subject to change, but as of right now, is there any advantage to staying in a Disneyland resort hotel for getting into galaxies edge? And to the new ride when it opens?

We will be out there in late February and I’m trying to decide if I should splurge on a Disney hotel room or just stick with a cheaper option.
SWGE is not currently open during MM/EMH, so there is no advantage to staying on site only for that. No official word yet if there will be any on site perks for ROTR when it opens.

SWGE is not currently open during MM/EMH, so there is no advantage to staying on site only for that. No official word yet if there will be any on site perks for ROTR when it opens.
We are staying at the GCH opening weekend of ROTR (not on purpose!!), and I have not been informed of any perks (like we had for SWGE opening reservation weeks, which was also attended).

Looks like 3 days in a row at WDW of letting people scan into the park about 30 minutes before park opening, and then opening the ability to book a BG right at park opening time. I seriously hope that they do this at DLR. It allows you to get a BG, then go to another park, go on other rides, go back to the hotel or go back to your house and take a nap, and then return in the 2 hour window when your group is called. Standing in a 9 hour standby line would be horrible since you can't do anything else with that time. And as OP stated, ride breakdowns (sometimes for a few hours) occurred at WDW often in the first week. They gave those in the line and on the ride a paper FP to come back later that day (and in some cases the next day) to ride again, without regard to what BG was active at that time. If they had to do this for all of the people in a 9 hour line, it would be a nightmare. Would make it impossible to plan BGs for the next day since you would have so many with "anytime" FPs to ride ROTR from the prior day's breakdown.

The downside to BGs is that once they are out for the day (usually in the first hour or less of park opening), you can't ride (they have now started back up BGs that may or may not get called, but they get no compensation if they don't get to ride due to breakdowns etc; those are filled within about 2 hours of park opening currently). Since there is no SB, you have to get to the park early or you miss out. Maybe sometime later, they will start issuing BGs later in the day if they get through all the regular BGs and all of the backup BGs, but who knows. So for later arriving guests, BGs do have a disadvantage. To me, it is still a much better solution than simply SB.

So I've finally started watching the star wars movies...they've been good so far. Just hard to remember all of these galactic names and planets lol
Hmmmmmm.......did you memorize all the gods that lived around the Mediterranean ....both greek and roman names?

thank you for sharing, how did you come about to start this task?

We are staying at the GCH opening weekend of ROTR (not on purpose!!), and I have not been informed of any perks (like we had for SWGE opening reservation weeks, which was also attended).

Looks like 3 days in a row at WDW of letting people scan into the park about 30 minutes before park opening, and then opening the ability to book a BG right at park opening time. I seriously hope that they do this at DLR. It allows you to get a BG, then go to another park, go on other rides, go back to the hotel or go back to your house and take a nap, and then return in the 2 hour window when your group is called. Standing in a 9 hour standby line would be horrible since you can't do anything else with that time. And as OP stated, ride breakdowns (sometimes for a few hours) occurred at WDW often in the first week. They gave those in the line and on the ride a paper FP to come back later that day (and in some cases the next day) to ride again, without regard to what BG was active at that time. If they had to do this for all of the people in a 9 hour line, it would be a nightmare. Would make it impossible to plan BGs for the next day since you would have so many with "anytime" FPs to ride ROTR from the prior day's breakdown.

The downside to BGs is that once they are out for the day (usually in the first hour or less of park opening), you can't ride (they have now started back up BGs that may or may not get called, but they get no compensation if they don't get to ride due to breakdowns etc; those are filled within about 2 hours of park opening currently). Since there is no SB, you have to get to the park early or you miss out. Maybe sometime later, they will start issuing BGs later in the day if they get through all the regular BGs and all of the backup BGs, but who knows. So for later arriving guests, BGs do have a disadvantage. To me, it is still a much better solution than simply SB.
If you will be in the parks on M,W, F, Sun. you will have early entry to DCA which is only for hotel guests. It will be interesting to see if you can grab a boarding group through that early entry as that would definitley give an edge to hotel guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter