Ended up with the orange one. I think I used it for all of 10 minutes before pulling it out. Maybe it's better when they interact with other droids? I did find it a lot more difficult to hear in GE than the standard R2 noises.
Is the orange one Resistance, Smuggler, or First Order? I ask because depending on where you are in the land, it will change how much sound they make. For example, I have the red first order chip. Mine moves and makes sounds around Kylo Ren's ship, the marketplace, droid depot, and it talks to other droids. It didn't do much near the falcon..if it did, I didn't hear it. It can be hard to hear, but I feel like the more I brought mine, the more I knew how it sounded. I didn't take it near the resistance side, so not sure how it would be over there.

My son is trying to figure out if the Droids are worth it to build. One thing he wants to know is, exactly how interactive are the droids in the land? Do they just chirp or make noises with the objects in the land, or do they do other things also?
I think they are worth it. I enjoy mine because I can take it back to the park on other trips. Also, if other people with droids are around, they will walk near you so theirs can talk and move.

Without the chips they still can interact with other droids and different parts of the land. Not sure how the BB series look when they move, but my R one will spin it's head, chirp, beep, light up, etc.

Is the orange one Resistance, Smuggler, or First Order? I ask because depending on where you are in the land, it will change how much sound they make. For example, I have the red first order chip. Mine moves and makes sounds around Kylo Ren's ship, the marketplace, droid depot, and it talks to other droids. It didn't do much near the falcon..if it did, I didn't hear it. It can be hard to hear, but I feel like the more I brought mine, the more I knew how it sounded. I didn't take it near the resistance side, so not sure how it would be over there.

Resistance. And I know what the chips do :rotfl:. Since they're all different pitches, I figured you wanted to know which pitched one I got. The other Resistance chip is blue. Red and black are First Order and purple and grey are Smuggler.

It didn't act that much different than it did without it honestly. Happy in the Resistance area, nervous in the First Order area. It was also much more difficult to hear with the chip. The pitch of the orange one blended in too well with the noise level that day. Both with and without chip he went nuts in Droid Depot, though.

I just wasn't thrilled with the voice it gave mine. I might like it better if I heard how it interacts with other droids :confused3?

My son is trying to figure out if the Droids are worth it to build. One thing he wants to know is, exactly how interactive are the droids in the land? Do they just chirp or make noises with the objects in the land, or do they do other things also?

We were pretty disappointed in the "interaction" part and we even got a couple different chips and tried each one on a different day in the land trying to get different reactions... it's just very minimal different noises (some shaking and head spinning) at different locations and if you blink you miss it (also difficult to hear over other noises) and it almost never interacted with other droids. We got the backpack but my son wore it like a front carrier in an effort to enjoy any interactions. That said we still felt it was worth it... just my son built a droid but his dad and sister went with him while the rest of us watched nearby and they had a blast picking out parts, putting it together and the whole having it come alive experience. I tried talking my son into an R unit because they have more accessories and features but he got a BB unit and all my kids were much happier with that, they just love rolling it around and all commented on how 'superior" the BBs are, heh.... I'm seriously contemplating getting an R unit at some point still though for myself. If they truly interacted with each other we would've gotten another droid at the same time but from our direct experience and checking out lots of reviews they don't really seem to do that. I feel like we get way more "use" out of our droid than we would a light saber. The data pad app was definitely way more interactive and engaging for experiencing the land itself than the droid though, personally I don't even think it's worth the hassle of carrying it around myself so if I do end up getting one I'll probably just take it straight back to the hotel/car.

I know I could search threads on this topic, but I'm afraid of ride spoilers. I don't know anything about the two rides in SWGE, and I'm hoping to stay mostly in the dark until I ride them. :) However, I get motion sickness (mild, but still to the point I have to close my eyes) on Star Tours, but not on any other Disney ride (well, except you would not catch me dead on the swinging cars on the fun wheel or in the tea cups). For those with similar motion issues do you think I will still be able to enjoy Smugglers Run and Rise of the Resistance? I'm planning to go on both regardless, but just hoping I won't have to close my eyes the whole time. Thanks so much!!!

We were pretty disappointed in the "interaction" part and we even got a couple different chips and tried each one on a different day in the land trying to get different reactions... it's just very minimal different noises (some shaking and head spinning) at different locations and if you blink you miss it (also difficult to hear over other noises) and it almost never interacted with other droids. We got the backpack but my son wore it like a front carrier in an effort to enjoy any interactions. That said we still felt it was worth it... just my son built a droid but his dad and sister went with him while the rest of us watched nearby and they had a blast picking out parts, putting it together and the whole having it come alive experience. I tried talking my son into an R unit because they have more accessories and features but he got a BB unit and all my kids were much happier with that, they just love rolling it around and all commented on how 'superior" the BBs are, heh.... I'm seriously contemplating getting an R unit at some point still though for myself. If they truly interacted with each other we would've gotten another droid at the same time but from our direct experience and checking out lots of reviews they don't really seem to do that. I feel like we get way more "use" out of our droid than we would a light saber. The data pad app was definitely way more interactive and engaging for experiencing the land itself than the droid though, personally I don't even think it's worth the hassle of carrying it around myself so if I do end up getting one I'll probably just take it straight back to the hotel/car.

Thanks so much for your detailed response! Since your kids got BB8 units, do you feel like they roll nicely? Sometimes they look a little unstable...

I think Smugglers Run is far less nauseating than Star Tours, but it’s the same basic idea. I think it’s less nauseating because the room is smaller and the video is synced up better. The second time I went on I got to maybe a 2.5/10 on the nauseous scale.

I have not been on ROTR yet but from everything I understand it will not cause nausea in anyone.

I can't do Star Tours. Did MFSR with bonine in my system and was in the engineer position so as long as I mostly watched my buttons I was okay. It didn't give me the same after effect Star Tours does. I'll be interested to try ROTR in March.

I really do wonder how long they are going to continue the BG process at Disneyland. I was talking to some of my friends who also have passes and they don't want to do the ride until this whole process is over since it's kind of a lot to deal with.

I really do wonder how long they are going to continue the BG process at Disneyland. I was talking to some of my friends who also have passes and they don't want to do the ride until this whole process is over since it's kind of a lot to deal with.
My guess is until the ride can reliably handle its 1800/hr+ capacity.

I don’t get this thinking at all.

Be in park at opening, push a button at 8am. If you get a BG, ride when called. If not, enjoy the park as you normally would or go home.

It could not be simpler. If someone is not an AP, I could understand holding off until the RotR situation settles into a more predictable pattern, but for APs what’s the big deal?

Be in park at opening, push a button at 8am. If you get a BG, ride when called. If not, enjoy the park as you normally would or go home.

It could not be simpler. If someone is not an AP, I could understand holding off until the RotR situation settles into a more predictable pattern, but for APs what’s the big deal?
I think it’s the getting there early part. I wouldn’t mind. I do rope drop a lot; not all of my friends do, so being there at 8am is hard for them.
If I don’t get a chance to ride at WDW next week, I’ll come for rope drop one day and try it here. If I don’t get it, no probs I can do other things, or go home lol

for Smuggler's Run it really depends on the pilots !! On one ride we had pilots (well, 1 of them) who had NO idea what was going on and it became a very rough ride.... YES, pilots have to pilot the Falcon !! If they are all over the place with the controls, it will make the ride bouncy and all over the place..... :oops: :sad2:

Star Tours makes me pretty green in the gills unless I'm sitting in the middle of row 3.

MFSR didn't make me sick on any of the runs we did (4 times). I've been in both pilots, and the other 2 left side positions. I think there were multiple pieces at play; the biggest two things being the screen movement is synced well with ride vehicle and there's no 3D glasses with warped lenses.

I was looking at the situation the same way you were, but my husband just made the point that depending on the type of AP you have, you could be blocked out of some (or all) weekends, and with the boarding group system, getting there after work on a weekday leaves you with no chance to ride RotR.

SoCal locals (APs) don't often show up for 8a. They are more likely to appear by late morning or, even more likely, late afternoon. Yesterday, I rolled out of my driveway before 4a to be sure I was inside the park before the boarding groups opened. I'm not going to do that typically. What it takes if I drive from home to DLR:
  • 2 hour drive in 'best' conditions
  • parking (first lot not open? arg. Go find a 2nd lot ... deal with busy street traffic.)
  • security lines and check
  • shuttle bus or tram from parking lot to DLR
  • lines to enter the park
  • reboot phone / login to Disney app / verify Disney app is as "happy as possible"
  • potential for delays coming from any direction, etc.
Typically, if I visit for a "day trip," I take a Riverside Commuter bus. So, again, I won't show up before 10a. Far too late for a BG.

Funny thing, we made a point to be here for the grand opening (Fri/Sat with hotel stay nearby) but talked about this problem today. We figured we won't be riding it again until the BG period ends ... because there is no way we'll be onsite, inside the park, for 8A.

What it takes if I drive from home to DLR:
  • 2 hour drive in 'best' conditions
  • parking (first lot not open? arg. Go find a 2nd lot ... deal with busy street traffic.)
  • security lines and check
  • shuttle bus or tram from parking lot to DLR
  • lines to enter the park
  • reboot phone / login to Disney app / verify Disney app is as "happy as possible"
  • potential for delays coming from any direction, etc.
It might be difficult to get to Disneyland in your situation, but nothing in that list is specific to RotR. You have to do that same list of things to get a FP for Space Mountain. The only difference with RotR is that you have to do those same things earlier than you might normally.

So I still don’t understand the people that are acting like the BG process is some confusing and complicated hassle. Unless you mean that in your case just getting to the park is very difficult or complicated, which it may be, but that has nothing to do with RotR specifically.

Sure, if it’s too much trouble for some people, they can choose to avoid it until later. Nothing wrong with that. I mean, it was too much trouble for me to make it there in time this morning. But that doesn’t mean it’s a complicated difficult confusing arduous process like some people are acting like it is.

I was looking at the situation the same way you were, but my husband just made the point that depending on the type of AP you have, you could be blocked out of some (or all) weekends, and with the boarding group system, getting there after work on a weekday leaves you with no chance to ride RotR.
That’s a fair point, and that definitely sucks for people who have the SoCal AP and no weekdays off.

But like has been said, when demand exceeds supply they have to come up with a fair system that works most universally.

Every single guest could have an easier day at the park if the rules & procedures were adjusted to their specific preferences and situation, but obviously that’s not fair or possible.

So when complaints come down to things like, “but I can’t be there at 8am because...” then you’re in the personal preference / personal situation territory, and they can’t design a system for everyone around that.

So when complaints come down to things like, “but I can’t be there at 8am because...” then you’re in the personal preference / personal situation territory, and they can’t design a system for everyone around that.
I am with you, I was just talking about people who don't totally have a choice in when they can arrive at the parks, due to blockouts, which was something I had not personally considered, and have a bit more sympathy for.

I am a casual vacationer to Disneyland, but I am 100% willing to be there at park opening just for the lower crowds and shorter lines, and the fact that I might be able to score a boarding group for RotR is a bonus. If someone else just prefers to sleep in (or not fight traffic, or not go on their weekday off, etc.), that's fine, but then they've made a choice about the value of this ride experience to them and they should probably just own that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter