I don’t get this thinking at all.

Be in park at opening, push a button at 8am. If you get a BG, ride when called. If not, enjoy the park as you normally would or go home.

It could not be simpler. If someone is not an AP, I could understand holding off until the RotR situation settles into a more predictable pattern, but for APs what’s the big deal?
... So when complaints come down to things like, “but I can’t be there at 8am because...” then you’re in the personal preference / personal situation territory, and they can’t design a system for everyone around that.
While I understand what you are saying and basically agree with you when all things are pretty much equal, one of the things not yet being addressed is the issue of guests who cannot be in the park at opening because of disability. Yes, there is DAS available for ROTR now, if you can get into a BG. But, eventually, I hope Disney manages to come up with something that allows disabled guests who cannot make it to RD however many times it takes to get into a BG (once, if you are lucky? some posters have struck out two days in a row so far...) at least some way to try for a BG later in the day/evening. Disney can't design a system for everyone, but they have been pretty good at trying to work with disabilities. I really hope that they can do this with ROTR after the initial frenzy dies down.

While I understand what you are saying and basically agree with you when all things are pretty much equal, one of the things not yet being addressed is the issue of guests who cannot be in the park at opening because of disability. Yes, there is DAS available for ROTR now, if you can get into a BG. But, eventually, I hope Disney manages to come up with something that allows disabled guests who cannot make it to RD however many times it takes to get into a BG (once, if you are lucky? some posters struck out two days in a row so far...) at least some way to try for a BG later in the day/evening. Disney can't design a system for everyone, but they have been pretty good at trying to work with disabilities. I really hope that they can do this with ROTR after the initial frenzy dies down.
Yes! This has only been talked about in relation to WDW. The process is still the same at DL. I do think the Virtual boarding system is the best option right now (and so do some of my friends). But they know opening crowds are rough for them, so they will just wait.They come about an hour after when people have dispersed throughout the park.

I have other friends where crowds don't bother them, but they enjoy sleep, so they are happy to wait until things change lol.

We are going to Disneyland in 6 months and I will be purchasing several large items, including two lightsabers and a droid that we make.

I am trying to find out how much it will cost to ship home. They used to charge by cost of the item. Has this changed? Have you shipped lightsabers home?

Last edited:
So I still don’t understand the people that are acting like the BG process is some confusing and complicated hassle. Unless you mean that in your case just getting to the park is very difficult or complicated, which it may be, but that has nothing to do with RotR specifically.

Sure, if it’s too much trouble for some people, they can choose to avoid it until later. Nothing wrong with that. I mean, it was too much trouble for me to make it there in time this morning. But that doesn’t mean it’s a complicated difficult confusing arduous process like some people are acting like it is.
FWIW, I didn't find the BG process complicated or confusing. Difficult? Yes, given Disney's technology issues and the frequent "communication error" messages. These are frustrating.

But still, now that we've done it, we won't likely ride it again until the BG process is either phased out (no longer needed) or adjusted to trickle out numbers throughout the day. Why? Simply because we don't care to be inside the park at 8a. I'd rather show up late and stay through the first evening light show (Fantasmic!, Fireworks or water show) and then leave. We don't generally open a park or shut it down. We just visit for awhile mid-day. No big deal. I wasn't complaining about the process ... simply trying to offer more info on why locals may shy away from riding during the present BG implementation. Again, not complaining.

We are going to Disneyland in 6 months and I will be purchasing several large items, including two lightsabers and a droid that we make.

I am trying to find out how much it will cost to ship home. They used to charge by cost of the item. Has this changed? Have you shipped lightsabers home?
At the end of a trip when we have arrived at the airport we can tell which people have been to DLR.
They have these items right with their carry-on bags

Thanks so much for your detailed response! Since your kids got BB8 units, do you feel like they roll nicely? Sometimes they look a little unstable...
We just got the one... it seems very stable when my son is operating it but whenever I try I just make it go crazy all over the place often knocking into things and causing it's head to fall off. I can't work a 360 et al type controller to play games either though, so.... when it pauses after rolling around it does wobble like a weeble but it's still very stable all things considered, my son is able to navigate it very smoothly with sudden stops and going around moving obstacles, it really seems neat.

Going march 8-12, Mom is in wheelchair not very mobile, I am a star wars fan but mom is not. Is it worth spending time there looking around if your going to do rides. I know there are no shows. I wouldlike to see the millenium falcon. Are the shops alone worth it, from what i've seen on you tube it doesnt look special. How bout the food anything exceptional there, Rontos roasters looks interesting as i like hot dogs.

It’s not hard to spend an hour just wandering around and soaking it in.
If you download the disney play app, they have scavenger hunts and small effects you can trigger through the the land by doing some small tasks. It’s fun and will make the land more of an attraction if you aren’t planning on riding either of the 2 rides.

Additionally, two of the shopping experiences are considered attractions based on the level of immersion: building a droid and building a lightsaber. If either of those interest you, you have to make a reservation well ahead of time to do so.

Lastly, the cantina also requires a reservation for access.

If you time it well, it’s not hard to have a couple hours of stuff to do in the land without riding any rides.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd still go. I'd probably go eat lunch or dinner at Docking Bay 7, browse through the shops, and use the data pad games in the land on the Play Disney Parks app on my phone.

I think my favorite part was just wandering around or sitting to take it what's going on around me. Watching the storm troopers interact with guests, Rey interacting with kids, the sounds the building details.... I loved going back there and just absorbing all that. I also went back at night because it is all so beautiful lit up. But that was just my experience.

Speaking of Rey do u know if she will sign auto graphs? does she still appear at launch bay,? Thats a cool store i always to look in.

I'd say just being there is pretty much being part of a show. There will be stormtroopers. When I was there Chewbacca was walking down, then working on the Millennium Falcon. Maybe Kylo Ren will be barking orders.

I think if you are a fan, you should at the very least walk through. Seeing the Falcon is pretty amazing! I like browsing the stores, but have never bought anything. I would also consider going to Oga's. We have been twice and really enjoyed it and it was fairly quick both times, if time is a factor. Have a wonderful trip!

I think the food is the only worthwhile thing in the land if you aren't doing rides and one or more of your party isn't a star wars fan. The Ronto Wrap is exceptionally good, as is the Pot Roast meal at Docking Bay 7. The chocolate and red salt popcorn at Kat Sakas kettle is also scrumptious.

Definitely yes!

On our visit I spent hours in Galaxies Edge while my son and husband rode Smugglers repeatedly. It was my favourite place to wait. I’d sit at Docking Bay 7 and eat their Batuu Bon and watch the world. Characters would pass and interact with me. The weird music. The sounds. The creature marketplace. I felt like I really was a traveller on another planet.

Semi off topic - I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but want to fully enjoy the land. Which movies should I make sure I watch before we go? I've only seen the original 3.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter