News Round Up 2016

I think this is *really* smart on Disney's part! It is a very targeted offer with very targeted perks that cost Disney nothing but add value to the guest. By creating a package that is short and with extra FPs, I think Disney is hoping to create a really positive "first visit" environment for these littles and their parents...so that they come back again for a longer stay. The additional FPs aren't good for any experience; they are experiences that preschoolers will enjoy. It's really a win-win.

I think this is *really* smart on Disney's part! It is a very targeted offer with very targeted perks that cost Disney nothing but add value to the guest. By creating a package that is short and with extra FPs, I think Disney is hoping to create a really positive "first visit" environment for these littles and their parents...so that they come back again for a longer stay. The additional FPs aren't good for any experience; they are experiences that preschoolers will enjoy. It's really a win-win.

Agree - the benefit they provide is barely a benefit - two FP+ for the entire trip, and one being for something that most kids over 6 have no interest in (Disney Junior). If it sells people to come to Disney with little kids, it's a good marketing ploy. It affects everyone else really not at all. I have no issues at all with this.

I know there's a lot of arguments about the validity of free dining - but really what you have to do is look at what the "discount" is. Summer value rates are $168 - $220 a night, so let's assume on average about $190 a night for a room. If you have 4 people in your room - with 2 kids over 9 - that's 4 complimentary (we won't use "free") meals a day. If we assume it's just for the meal and a drink (no dessert) - I think calling it roughly a $13 value per person per day is reasonable. For 4 people - that would be $52 value - which is a 27% savings. This is better than the typical "value" discount which is around 20%. If you only had 2 people in the room - probably not worth it.

Also, not sure if just us but neither my wife nor I have ever heard of the term "Kindermoon" ... so also seems like they are trying to create an entirely new type of vacation / get first time parents to think this is a real thing and that they need to go, go, go!

I know there's a lot of arguments about the validity of free dining - but really what you have to do is look at what the "discount" is. Summer value rates are $168 - $220 a night, so let's assume on average about $190 a night for a room. If you have 4 people in your room - with 2 kids over 9 - that's 4 complimentary (we won't use "free") meals a day. If we assume it's just for the meal and a drink (no dessert) - I think calling it roughly a $13 value per person per day is reasonable. For 4 people - that would be $52 value - which is a 27% savings. This is better than the typical "value" discount which is around 20%. If you only had 2 people in the room - probably not worth it.

also the timing - are there really usually any deals during the summer? So even if the benefit is minimal it is more than nothing and at a time I bet people are starting to plan their summer vacations (I know we are) gets it into their head that there is a deal going on one of the few times people with kids can go

also the timing - are there really usually any deals during the summer? So even if the benefit is minimal it is more than nothing and at a time I bet people are starting to plan their summer vacations (I know we are) gets it into their head that there is a deal going on one of the few times people with kids can go

I think you can normally find a room discount during this time period - but again it's probably 15 or 20% at most.

Also, not sure if just us but neither my wife nor I have ever heard of the term "Kindermoon" ... so also seems like they are trying to create an entirely new type of vacation / get first time parents to think this is a real thing and that they need to go, go, go!
Well when I google "kindermoon" spelled just like that the only results that pop up are related to Disney and the new package....so either the term is so new that there are no google articles/blogs/etc on it or Disney is sorta coining the term.

I'm sure there are parents out there though that have taken their kids at that age on vacations geared towards celebrating that time period in their lives but maybe not called it "kindermoon".

What the hell is a kinder moon? There are plenty of moons as it is.

My understanding from reading the Disney article is the idea of taking a family vacation during typical school time with your kids before they are in school - so before they start Kindergarten, thus "Kindermoon" ... so positioning it as the last time you will be able to take a family vacation not during times everyone else is (school breaks)

Well when I google "kindermoon" spelled just like that the only results that pop up are related to Disney and the new package....so either the term is so new that there are no google articles/blogs/etc on it or Disney is sorta coining the term.

I'm sure there are parents out there though that have taken their kids at that age on vacations geared towards celebrating that time period in their lives but maybe not called it "kindermoon".

I get the idea (though we did take our oldest out of school for Disney when she was in Kindergarten (and first grade) but I know some parents don't want to do that (or their schools don't let them ... though I can't imagine places putting up a stink about Kindergarten but you never know)

i was wondering what constituted "cold weather" in Orlando and checked a forecast and it does say tomorrow's high is only 60 (which, I would take vs what we are having in NY but for that to be a high, I can see not wanting to open a water park)
Yeah I'd definitely take 60 over what we have in Wisconsin but 60 it's high enough for me to go to a water park.

Yeah I'd definitely take 60 over what we have in Wisconsin but 60 it's high enough for me to go to a water park.

I was thinking that too - I know we have gone swimming in Florida at like 65 and people there thought we were nuts

But looking at the hourly, 60 is the high and most of the day is in the low 50s so I would think attendance would be pretty low

Swimming at 60* at the resorts is one thing...

Walking around wet in 60* weather from ride to ride...:crazy2: not so much...Especially the water dripping in the tunnel area...Frigid cold in the summer...LoL

Found it interesting looking at a potential trip for my family of three, March 1 through March 7. It's within $20 difference between California and Florida, staying on property, including airfare from Vermont. Airfare is slightly less to LAX, and the Park is slightly more.

And for the record 3/2-3/7, POR standard room, no meal plan. Park hoppers(6 days). $3109.
United tickets around $300-350/person or use miles.

Last edited:
No, I just meant produce some new animation scenes from other films and insert those to rotate with the ones that have remained the same since it opened.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter