• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2020

These cavalcades are things they need to be doing all the time (though i know they'd be next to impossible with "normal" crowds. It would just be nice if Disney world (as a whole) could keep the "streets" clear on a regular basis for things like this. I'd much rather have them than the traffic jams the parades (or things like the First Order March) cause. As fun as a "parade" is .. it's a pain to get a spot, camp it out and get the kids to wait for it .. besides you are missing out on valuable park time you could be riding a ride or two during that time.

It's just funny to me the driver of the car is wearing a mask, considering the face actors/dancers in the mini-parades at MK don't wear masks.

I would guess that's because the driver isn't 6' away from the character. Technically, if you watch videos of the MK parades the dancers maintain their distance from each other. Sure, they probably get within 6' from time to time, but I've yet to see an instance where they looked much closer than that.

News

Sort of Disney adjacent, but since he worked for Lucasfilm on the Star Wars prequels ...

Any death is sad - but Grant was a smart and funny contributor to world of science and entertainment. Outside of Mythbusters he was a lot more behind the scenes, but yes he worked on the "fly through the air" Spiderman that we will eventually see at DLR, and also he also recently built a baby Yoda animatronic that made headlines back in March. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

We pretty much could have figured these "discussions" would come despite many theme parks in the area being open for over a month now.

We are divided between "Close everything" and "Open everything", but the answer seems to be in the middle (like Disney is doing).

Unless there is a major outbreak that can be traced back to the guests or cast members .. then maybe we can have that discussion. Simply being "open" hopefully isn't going to make things worse. These numbers skyrocketed WITHOUT Disney being open.

Maybe I'm being hyper-sensitive here, but where was this media pearl-clutching when the other Florida parks opened last month and where is it about them being open now? You would think from listening to certain outlets that the Disney parks are the only ones open. Personally, I'm not sure how I feel about the parks being open and wouldn't go right now anyway (it's 1,000 degrees out!) but I just find it all a bit much. Is it just because Disney has set the bar so high?

Looks like tlmadden73 and were posting at the same time. I like his post better than mine. ☺

Apparently he was also involved in the new Spiderman attraction coming to Avengers Campus

Definitely sad - but someone who's life impacted the world for sure
Any death is sad - but Grant was a smart and funny contributor to world of science and entertainment. Outside of Mythbusters he was a lot more behind the scenes, but yes he worked on the "fly through the air" Spiderman that we will eventually see at DLR, and also he also recently built a baby Yoda animatronic that made headlines back in March. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

As an engineer I've participated in various STEM school programs over the years. It was amazing to see how much Mythbusters and Battlebots, along with Grant and the gang, influenced a generation of kids to get interested in STEM subjects. He's part of a small club that made science cool again

Maybe I'm being hyper-sensitive here, but where was this media pearl-clutching when the other Florida parks opened last month and where is it about them being open now? You would think from listening to certain outlets that the Disney parks are the only ones open. Personally, I'm not sure how I feel about the parks being open and wouldn't go right now anyway (it's 1,000 degrees out!) but I just find it all a bit much. Is it just because Disney has set the bar so high?

Looks like tlmadden73 and were posting at the same time. I like his post better than mine. ☺

You and tlmadden73 have brought up a great point that I have wondered about too. There is already real life case studies with Universal having been open a month. Why no in depth reviews of how its going there?

As for the focus on Disney, one of the reasons the business news focuses on it is because the parks are one of the largest divisions of one of the larger public companies where as Universal is just a small cog in the giant Comcast engine. And it just has a different place in peoples minds - case in point - Comcast owned CNBC talks way way more about Disney parks than Universal (even before the current crisis) and most of their hosts actually show their love for Disney parks and then sometimes throw in the old "and Universal is great too" making sure to keep their employer happy.

Last edited:

I did see Caryle posted that she was interviewed by Cheddar about everything and did bring up this, how the other parks are being left out of the conversation

I think the big difference I see is that the other parks opened when cases in FL were averaging 1,500 or less at the time. They opened and quietly stayed open.

FL is in the news daily due to it's climbing cases, in spite of Disney opening.

I think one of the many reasons Disney is in the spotlight right now is that compared to when the other parks opened, the numbers are currently exponentially higher and continuing to climb.

Cultural representative program suspended indefinitely

This is a real bummer! I love the representation of various cultures this program has provided at EPCOT through the years. I think an important part of the discussion on this should be around the J-1 visa program too. My understanding is that it's been severely limited by the government as of late, so combined with ongoing travel restrictions it is doubly-hard to get folks like this working here.

So I got into the queue for the Disneyland 65th merchandise about 10 minutes prior to the opening at 1pm EST and I was #31477 in line. It’s dropping about 100 people every 4 minutes. So in about 21 hours I’ll be able to hopefully purchase something. I guess the queue actually went live a week or so ago when the site went live and people could have sat in line since then. I thought it was going to start a queue at the 1pm EST time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter