Nice but NO I Don't like

Didn't you complain about your grandson's Christmas gift as well? He put together a box of treats from other countries that you were so ungracious about. Don't look at them as coasters, look at them as something you own grandson MADE especially for you, a symbol of love.

So this is the second time OP complained about gifts from her grandson? :sad2: Wow, just WOW!! I am truly speechless to how ungrateful someone could be. And on that note I am not saying anything else because it wouldn't be very nice.

Your grandson's thoughtful gifts sent with love may not be some of your favourites but imagine if he were to somehow see your post about them to total strangers how low YOU would go on his and your dd's favourite people. There problem solved, no more gifts for you to complain about. Outrageous behaviour, from a grandparent no less!

Didn't you complain about your grandson's Christmas gift as well? He put together a box of treats from other countries that you were so ungracious about. Don't look at them as coasters, look at them as something you own grandson MADE especially for you, a symbol of love.
:( I remember that post and how painfully critical it was. If we’re talking about the same grandson here, it’s a miracle he bothered trying again. OP - please don’t hurt his feelings over this. Whatever you end up doing with the coasters, keep your trap shut about it and don’t ever let him know you didn’t want them.
So this is the second time OP complained about gifts from her grandson? :sad2: Wow, just WOW!! I am truly speechless to how ungrateful someone could be. And on that note I am not saying anything else because it wouldn't be very nice.

Is this true?? If so, this is going to get brutal

Back when she was little, my DD made me a ceramic bowl in art class--one of those "coiled" things. It was glazed and fired. As you might imagine, it looks suspiciously like the bowl was made by a little kid, including its "unusual" (which is to say uneven) rim. You know what? It makes a perfect knitting bowl! One of the rim's divots is a perfect place to hold the yarn end, while, the ball of yarn sits inside the bowl. I use it a lot. You would think she made it that way on purpose, just so Mom could hold her yarn.

My point is, you need to accept gifts graciously into your heart. Someone cares about you enough to want to make you something, then do it, then, in this case, mail it out to you. That's what LOVE looks like. I'm saddened that the OP can't see that.

There are so many ways to use coasters besides drinks. Put a soap bottle on it next to a kitchen or bath sink, small plant stand, use a few to keep a hot dish off the table, spoon rest, put one on the nightstand as a tray to keep a lip balm from rolling around, set jewelry on it, etc.

I lost my Grandmother last night who was my last living grandparent. Your post really gave me the feels.
I am so sorry for your loss. Grandparents are so special. Mine have been gone for many years but I still miss them.

Looking at past comments it's way more than just this incident. The OP has sorta a history of almost resentment towards her family almost as if they are both an inconvenience (you should see the post from over 10 years ago about the grandkids when they were babies or just a bit older) and wishing they would check in more. Really reminds me of my own grandmother who was like this with her kids saying "why don't you stop over" except they did and would but the time spent would just be filled with such negativity it didn't exactly make someone want to come over. Now I don't know that the OP is necessarily this way with her own family but there's def. stuff that has gone on in the past. I'd pass some of the emotions off of losing her husband but things started long before that. In a nutshell it's not really about the coasters at all (as is often the case that it's not about x but instead about abcde, etc).

You send a heartfelt thank you focusing on how thoughtful it was for him to make something with his own two hands. Then don't use them. If they had to be shipped, it's unlikely that he'll ever know. I'm just sentimental enough to want to hang onto them for a while since he actually made them.

You tell him how awesome they are and how much you love them. Even text a picture of your glass sitting on one of them. It makes me sad that you are even asking advice on how to get rid of them.

So I hadn't been to my dad's house for a while because of the pandemic. About two weeks after Christmas I had to go bring in his mail and feed his cat for a couple days, and I noticed that every single thing I had gotten him for Christmas this year was displayed somewhere in the house, along with past Christmas/birthday/Father's Day gifts. Nothing hand-made, and I'm in my 20's, so not a kid, but he still finds a spot for everything I give him, even though he's not a huge fan of clutter.

As for hand-made gifts...he has a silly poem I wrote for him for one of those Father's Day projects in elementary school framed and hanging on the wall in his office. My mom has an ugly mug I made on her desk, being used as a pencil holder. She also has a few pieces of my terrible "art" on the walls in her bedroom. My grandma had two ugly painted rocks on the desk in her living room until the day she died.

So I think you can find room for a few coasters.

Gson 15 made me a wooden coaster set, my DD paid way to much money to have it shipped to me. Coasters are a good 1/2 tall an I like flat smooth coasters less chance of spillin if I miss setting drink on middle of coaster.

HOW do I pretend to like?

ESP at a time when I am purging my house getting rid of anything I don't need or want or like. I have not yet listed my house but I will prolly sell my house an move to something smaller for just me...if not I have reached the point I do not want to take care of a pet rock.

This post makes me so sad. About 12 years ago I spent 6 months knitting everyone in DH's family matching hats and scarves for Christmas. I remember MIL opening hers, saying "WHAT is this??" with an annoyed look on her face, and tossing it aside. I was heartbroken, and will never make them anything again.

OP, you should rethink your priorities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter