No One Loses Weight Like Gaston - November 2015 W.I.S.H Challenge

Question of the Day - November 19
giphy.gif

Let's talk... Portion Control.
As we're one week away from Thanksgiving in the USA, it may be the right time to talk Portion Control. Belle is obviously thinking: "A little sample here, a little sample there.... what could possibly go wrong?" Unfortunately small samples add up to BIG CALORIES and often we do more damage than we think to our progress and waistlines. (Also - shame on Belle. She's eating with her fingers - eww!)

What are some tips/tricks you use to manage your portions?
Is portion control a big challenge for you? Are you a 'must clear my plate' type of person?

giphy.gif

As we're one week away from Thanksgiving in the USA, it may be the right time to talk Portion Control. Belle is obviously thinking: "A little sample here, a little sample there.... what could possibly go wrong?" Unfortunately small samples add up to BIG CALORIES and often we do more damage than we think to our progress and waistlines. (Also - shame on Belle. She's eating with her fingers - eww!)

Is portion control a big challenge for you? Are you a 'must clear my plate' type of person?

Born and raised in the South with lots of old-school Southern relatives means it's ingrained in you at a young age that you must clear your plate or else endure hours of "Did you not like it? Do you want something else? You need to eat. Is there a reason you're skipping meals? You're not anorexic, are you? I'm going to fix you something else." Lol. It makes portion control difficult, at least at family functions. My grandmother is asking you what you want for dessert and cutting pieces of cake or pie before you've even had a bite of dinner. Add in a healthy serving of Southern guilt ("I've been cooking for two days so I hope you like it! Oh, you barely touched this. I must've made it wrong. What can I make you that you like?") and holiday eating can be stressful! Thankfully that's just a couple of days out of the year. We've all gotten pretty good at insisting we're full, but it's definitely never enjoyable.

giphy.gif

Portion control is something that I struggle with because I suffer from "My eyes are bigger than my tummy". I take large portions and then feel obligated to clear my plate so that I'm not wasteful. :(

Having a good scale has been a huge help. Weighing out portions ahead of time has saved my extra calories from being eaten.

giphy.gif

:rotfl:

Great picture and question combination!!

I like to eat really big portions and have difficulty in stopping eating when I am full. I just plain enjoy to eat. So, I need to take a lot of control over my portions. One thing that really helps me is to measure out my portions. Nothing that I eat at home will enter my mouth without having been on the scale first. With that method I have trained myself to go from a 125 grams portion of pasta as a standard portion to a 65 grams portion.

I don't feel obligated to clear my plate, but usually I just want to - see enjoying eating above. So, instead of trying to learn that I don't have to clear my plate, I rather need to learn that I sometimes have to not clear my plate. Not sure what is more difficult to learn... Anyway, one thing I am trying, but still struggling with, is to eat far more mindful. I am very much a fast eater who just stuffs the food inside. Which is crazy since I enjoy eating, I should savor it more. I recently watched a TV program about a clinic for obese children and there they showed one class where the kids learned how to savor food. They had one piece of chocolate and first were told to smell it, then lick it and then nibble a tiny piece, take a break and do the same again. That really spoke to me.

Born and raised in the South with lots of old-school Southern relatives means it's ingrained in you at a young age that you must clear your plate or else endure hours of "Did you not like it? Do you want something else? You need to eat. Is there a reason you're skipping meals? You're not anorexic, are you? I'm going to fix you something else." Lol. It makes portion control difficult, at least at family functions. My grandmother is asking you what you want for dessert and cutting pieces of cake or pie before you've even had a bite of dinner. Add in a healthy serving of Southern guilt ("I've been cooking for two days so I hope you like it! Oh, you barely touched this. I must've made it wrong. What can I make you that you like?") and holiday eating can be stressful! Thankfully that's just a couple of days out of the year. We've all gotten pretty good at insisting we're full, but it's definitely never enjoyable.

THIS!!!!! ALL OF THIS!!!!!! And at least for me I would have to add in the whole "starving kids around the world" guilt I was inundated with as a child. And our Southern tradition of frying things...... seriously, I am just now as a grown person having to cook for myself and my husband learning how to cook without oil....

On that note though, holidays are the one time of year my whole family shows out and cooks Georgia's finest. And living in the lost burrough of New York (Boca Raton), I don't ever get good southern food unless it is the holidays. So I usually eat what I want and enjoy. The good/bad news is I will not be going to my family's Thanksgiving this year (first year ever....), we will be going to DH's family. In my experience, they aren't the cooks that my family is, so fortunately I think this year will be a good year for portion control. Also, I want to get in a long walk/jog before we even go to their house so I know I was active and staying on track that day. Last year I did a "gratitude yoga" Thanksgiving morning and it felt like a different day by shifting my mindset away from the food and onto the purpose. If they offer that this year, I am going to do that instead of a walk to get my mindset right!

I've been out of town without my computer for a few days, so I'm going to play catch up today :-)

Question of the Day - November 16
What is the first thing you're going to do when you reach goal weight?
Is there a special event or significant end-date in mind to reach your goal weight?
What do you look most forward to once you reach this weight?

I have no idea, maybe a happy dance?! :dogdance: :dance3:
I want to reach my goal weight by next year's trip to Disney, so October 25, 2016. I have a (very reliable) feeling DBf is proposing during this trip, so I want to look better than I do now. princess: :lovestruc Also, I WILL be able to ride Dragon Challenge at UO during this trip (I could not during the trip last year)!
I look forward to not having my mother nagging me every time she sees me about how much weight I've gained, or even worse, how big I still am when I have lost weight between visits. :yay:pixiedust:

Question of the Day - November 17
How do you take control of your food cravings?
What is your plan to get through the holidays with pushy family and/or friends?
Share any tips/tricks with others on how to not let tasty treats get the better of you!

I don't have control of my cravings on a consistent basis yet, but I try to start a new activity and/or drink water instead of grabbing food. However, I do not always remember to do either, or I just decide "what the hell?" Not a great decision, but it still happens. :confused3
My plan for the holidays is that I am working so much, I will not have time to be pressured by friends and family, as I will not really be seeing any of them :eek::faint:

Question of the Day - November 18
It's WOOHOO Wednesday!
Share your woohoo for today - no celebration is too big or too small.

Woohoo on a day with mostly boohoos...I got to see the The Hunger Games: Mockingjay double feature last night :thumbsup2

I am terrible at portion control! I was raised in a very Italian and Irish household, we do everything in excess and we never turn down something offered to us. My parents were of the "you're not leaving the table until your plate is clear," variety until we all got too busy to eat dinner together every night. My grandparents were very much the "Why aren't you eating? Here, have some more of this thing I know you like. I made 4 pies, and you need to have a piece of each to tell me which you like best," variety. But by then, the damage had been done. I still struggle with not finishing something, even if I feel stuffed halfway through. Holidays are usually an interesting time. I am now, obviously, able to make my own plate and pass on the items I do not like to eat (potatoes or eggs, yuck!) but then I feel I need to compensate with things I do like (stuffing and cranberry fluff, yum!), still resulting in a full plate that I feel I need to eat. :sick: :crazy2:

or even worse, how big I still am when I have lost weight between visits.

Wow! I am sorry that you have to deal with that!! I think losing any weight is always an achievement and it should be applauded!!! The next time that happens, come on here and we will all tell you how proud we are of you for losing x pounds!!

Not a great decision, but it still happens.

Bad decisions will always happen, that's just human. It is what we do afterwards that matters. :goodvibes

I wasn't a huge fan of the pin, but this was probably the coolest lanyard I've gotten from an AMC marathon :D

The three finger salute pin they gave us was a little bit weird. They punched it through the card so you can't take it out unless you want a hole in the card. I stuck my lanyard on my work bookcase where I keep all my random stuff - it's hanging from one of my mouse ears.

The three finger salute pin they gave us was a little bit weird. They punched it through the card so you can't take it out unless you want a hole in the card. I stuck my lanyard on my work bookcase where I keep all my random stuff - it's hanging from one of my mouse ears.
My lanyard is hanging on our guest bedroom doorknob, along with the many others :) Our pin was put through the lanyard, so I was fiddling with it the entire movie. I haven't decided if it's going to stay on the lanyard or get added to my bag that's covered in pins!

Wow! I am sorry that you have to deal with that!! I think losing any weight is always an achievement and it should be applauded!!! The next time that happens, come on here and we will all tell you how proud we are of you for losing x pounds!!

I will, you guys have been wonderful since I've joined :D:disrocks:

Last edited:
I'm so sorry I haven't had a free minute for proper chatting. I've been reading everything and have lots to say (so much fun and success happening here) but I need about 39 hours in a day just to finish the top half of my to do list!

giphy.gif

I've got about every other problem in the book but portion control is something that is generally not a struggle for me. I don't think I've ever cleaned a plate in my life and I'm so thankful that my mother never forced the issue when my super picky younger self really didn't anything. I can't stand buffets (with the exception of my beloved Boma) because the parade of food and the multiple plates are a turn off for me.

However, and this is a big however, whether something is plated makes a really big difference for me. Big plate, small plate, paper plate, bowl, whatever. I will stop eating when I am full. I also won't go back for seconds on anything since I didn't finish firsts on everything. But hand me the a bag or box or stick a platter in front of me to pick at and I lose my ability to self monitor. My biggest problem is probably that I do so much eating on the run that I don't seem to get my "stop" signals. I've been carting a lot more meals/snacks around with me but it still just isn't the same as sitting down at a table and eating a proper meal.

Also, today's gif makes me want to bake a soufflé. Maybe something to do for day after Thanksgiving supper.

By the way, if any of you get added on Instagram by MSLP_901 - it's me! Haha. There's nothing overtly identifying on it, so I'm sure there was some headscratching, but I promise it's nothing weird! I made up a photography specific Instagram so I could include it on resumes and the like.

:cheer2:

This morning brought a new "lowest weight" and I am just going to report it as this week's result even though I am hoping that tomorrow might be even better. I feel like I am in a period of weight going down now again. It is interesting, I have been watching my progress quite a lot over the last two and a half months when I was very diligent with tracking and exercising and more or less maintained the same daily 750 calories deficit according to my fitbit on average. The thing that I found out is that my weight is affected a lot by my monthly cycle. And the most rapid weight loss always happens in the last two weeks of my cycle, while the first two weeks it goes up and then stalls (or appears to stall). Sorry, if that is TMI, but I found it fascinating and also encouraging. It truly helps me to get through those phases of nearly no weight loss when I know that I will be rewarded with two weeks of success afterwards.

So, even though I am still not nearly in a position to make my goal of 5 pounds, I can at least report that I am 40% there. Down to BMI of 25.2 now!! The 24.9 is coming closer and closer!!

The weekend is going to be a challenge as my sister and I are visiting my aunt for cookie baking... Lot's of temptations around...

@JacknSally I finally got around to take a look at your pictures some days ago and wanted to say that you were a beautiful bride. One could see how happy you and your bridegroom were! And the whole setting and colours were just breathtaking!! So pretty!!

Good Friday morning friends!! I literally have 90 seconds to say hello and HAPPY FRIDAY!! Subbing in gym class again today, plus............WHOOOPS.... flying awy!

I'm back..... got pulled away for student in need, but I'm back... for just a minute of course!

Happy to report I am down just a bit this week and if I can push HARD and lose a pound before Thursday, I will hit the holiday solidly at the top of my maintenance range (which will give me a bit more wiggle room than I've had lately)! Of course, that being said, I seriously doubt I can lose a whole pound in a week.... but I can try!

Off to help!..................P

Okay.... I have a short "break" as it were. Our school is having a big Veteran's Day celebration today and as such I don't have any classes until 1pm. I offered to cover the office during the event so that the office staff can go watch..... so I anticipate 45 minutes to catch up here!! .....................P

Okay.... I have a short "break" as it were. Our school is having a big Veteran's Day celebration today and as such I don't have any classes until 1pm. I offered to cover the office during the event so that the office staff can go watch..... so I anticipate 45 minutes to catch up here!! .....................P

How sneaky of you!!! :thumbsup2

By the way, if any of you get added on Instagram by MSLP_901 - it's me! Haha. There's nothing overtly identifying on it, so I'm sure there was some headscratching, but I promise it's nothing weird! I made up a photography specific Instagram so I could include it on resumes and the like.

I'll add you to the Instagram list!!

:cheer2:

This morning brought a new "lowest weight" and I am just going to report it as this week's result even though I am hoping that tomorrow might be even better. I feel like I am in a period of weight going down now again. It is interesting, I have been watching my progress quite a lot over the last two and a half months when I was very diligent with tracking and exercising and more or less maintained the same daily 750 calories deficit according to my fitbit on average. The thing that I found out is that my weight is affected a lot by my monthly cycle. And the most rapid weight loss always happens in the last two weeks of my cycle, while the first two weeks it goes up and then stalls (or appears to stall). Sorry, if that is TMI, but I found it fascinating and also encouraging. It truly helps me to get through those phases of nearly no weight loss when I know that I will be rewarded with two weeks of success afterwards.

So, even though I am still not nearly in a position to make my goal of 5 pounds, I can at least report that I am 40% there. Down to BMI of 25.2 now!! The 24.9 is coming closer and closer!!

The weekend is going to be a challenge as my sister and I are visiting my aunt for cookie baking... Lot's of temptations around...

I love that you have been able to track your weight loss/cycle/body phases..... it is a wonderful way to know yourself and what is working for you!! Oohhhhh cookies.... chew gum!! It may help resist the lure of cookie dough! (Personally I like the dough better than the cookies!) .........P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter