Official 2012 Princess 1/2 marathon thread part 2

The walk to the corral was redonkulous. I really hope they move the porta potties back or something. That seemed to be the hang up for the bottle neck, it opened right up once you passed those porta potties on the right.

I didn't find the walk out to be as bad as a lot of people described. We left the retreat tent pretty late, made a potty stop along the way, and still made the anthem. I think the pinch point problem may have been eliminated with signage (if people read it, that is) explaining that there were more banks farther down the trail. The lines were as though it was the last stop for water in the desert.

Once past that first pinch point, it moved pretty smoothly, and there was an ample supply of portalets with shorter lines closer to the corrals. We had a longer walk than most, since the retreat tent was across the lot from bag check, and it logged as spot on 1 mile from the retreat tent to the corrals. Not bad. It's a narrow road and thousands of people have to move through, which is why they want you to get to the corrals early.

Derek

I signed up for 2 halves AND 2 fulls before I ran my first half! In fact, I signed up for one of each before I ran my first 5K! It's called having something on your calendar to provide motivation to your training.

One half down at least 3 more races to go this year!

Derek

I keep filling up my runkeeper with races also, just to keep me motivated. Time wise, I can't get another 1/2 in until October but I plan to train hard for it and cut my time down to 2:20. I'm going to do a few 5 & 10k's in between and I'm doing the Warrior Dash with DH in August.

I think we all need to e:mail RunDisney and "suggest" that they make the purses available to the runners/walkers at the time of registration (as they do the pins/necklaces).
That way, they are guaranteed to go to the people who really earn them by paying for the event. And they will have the money ahead of time.
Then they have extras available for sale at the Expo for anyone else who decides to purchase them and for the "others" who want to resale them (although I don't think that's fair).

I was there when the Expo opened and it was a feeding frenzy. At the very least, they should have a cuing line (Disney is the best at that, right?) so make it not such a mad dash.

Just my thoughts!

I completely agree. I think at least Tink was slightly better for that since they had them behind the registers so you had to wait in line and ask for them. I was expecting the same thing at Princess, but found that to not be the case.

We were in one of the earlier corrals, and literally got into our corral with about 5-10 min to spare before it left, at maybe 5:45. That was with leaving the resort at 4:10 (driving from OKW, so not like it's far), getting into the staging area at about 4:30, not checking a bag, and hitting the porta potties twice.

It seems pretty ridiculous that it took over an hour from parking lot to corral to do that. The last two years have not been that bad at all.

I agree and had pretty much the same experience. I know for sure I got off the bus at 4:30 because I checked the time. I hit the portas at the finish line area since there were no lines, didn't check a bag and I got into my corral, C , at 5:40.

I agree and had pretty much the same experience. I know for sure I got off the bus at 4:30 because I checked the time. I hit the portas at the finish line area since there were no lines, didn't check a bag and I got into my corral, C , at 5:40.

I had a similar experience-- got on the bus at BC at 4AM, got out of line at the bag-check porta-potties at 5AM. I was just turning the corner where I could see the signs for A-E left and F-H right when they started the national anthem. Just barely got into Corral D before the fireworks start of Corral A.

I was hoping to move up corrals for the Disneyland half (our time put us in B, but we ran with a friend in D), but since the field is much more mixed gender, I realize our time will probably not be as good in that field. I just want to at least start with people aiming for a 2:10-2:20 finish time. We ended up running an extra half mile in the first 5K of the race, weaving in and out of people. Based on how slow the "death march" to the corrals was, we never would have made it for a Corral A start, and perhaps just barely for Corral B.

I think we all need to e:mail RunDisney and "suggest" that they make the purses available to the runners/walkers at the time of registration (as they do the pins/necklaces).
That way, they are guaranteed to go to the people who really earn them by paying for the event. And they will have the money ahead of time.
Then they have extras available for sale at the Expo for anyone else who decides to purchase them and for the "others" who want to resale them (although I don't think that's fair).

I was there when the Expo opened and it was a feeding frenzy. At the very least, they should have a cuing line (Disney is the best at that, right?) so make it not such a mad dash.

Just my thoughts!

Feeding frenzy is right!! I was about the 50-60th person in the line to enter the expo and that table in the corner was a mess when I got to it!! I'm lucky I'm short because I was able to duck under some ladies and grab the bags I wanted. I do think a cuing line would be more civilized.

There are some good reasons to make people pick up limited edition merch in person, none the least being to have the best draw for the expo. That being said, I think that things like D&B stuff should have been available 1.) limited to only one of each style 2.) sold at the expo only to registered runners 3.) require the presentation of a bib for purchase 4.) only after the close of the expo will any remaining inventory be released to the public for sale.

While someone could still go through the trouble of registering, picking up their bib, and then buying one of each, it would discourage eBay speculators and drive up the investment to the point that there would be no profit in the resale.

Derek

I do like the idea of limiting 1 style per person and also offering all merchandise to runners first. I would also like the idea of them offering them to runners after they cross the finish line so we don't feel like we jinxed ourselves. I was nervous from the time I bought it and put it in a corner of our room so I wouldn't even look at it. Man, the minute I finished and got my medal, I ran straight back, threw on my "I did it" tee and tore the tags off the bag. That felt really good because I knew I had earned it by that point!:rotfl:

I was hoping to move up corrals for the Disneyland half (our time put us in B, but we ran with a friend in D), but since the field is much more mixed gender, I realize our time will probably not be as good in that field. I just want to at least start with people aiming for a 2:10-2:20 finish time. We ended up running an extra half mile in the first 5K of the race, weaving in and out of people. Based on how slow the "death march" to the corrals was, we never would have made it for a Corral A start, and perhaps just barely for Corral B.

In 2010 I was in Corral C for the DL 1/2 with a 2:09 submission

I was in corral C over marathon weekend with a 2:10 1/2 proof of time. I don't know if Disneyland will do corral placement the same as WDW does, but I would imagine you'll be around the B-C corral.

While the walk to the corrals was a pain in the butt, it was nothing compared to sitting in my car for nearly one hour trying to LEAVE Epcot. I moved maybe a foot in that time. I was watching the timer tick away on the finish line and saw the confetti for the last person cross over from my car as well.:headache:

Joan- can you give your thoughts on doing the marathon and then turning around and doing Princess?

I am considering a marathon- and Disney would be it- this year. But I REALLY want to do Princess as well. Just wondering from someone who just did this, how good/bad was it?

Joan- can you give your thoughts on doing the marathon and then turning around and doing Princess?

I am considering a marathon- and Disney would be it- this year. But I REALLY want to do Princess as well. Just wondering from someone who just did this, how good/bad was it?

Well...first, a little back ground. I think I'm a bit older than you (50 yo)...my youngest is 19 yo. You may be younger but running around with small children is exhausting. I started running in 2008. I run 3 days a week. My weight hasn't changed much..I did lose about 5 pounds training for the full. I'm pretty average 5'7" and wear a size 8 or 10. I trained for 4 months...I did a 20, 22, and 24 mile LR. I also run alone. I wanted to finish in under 5 hours, but didn't...5:04. Maybe if I hadn't stopped for photos it could have been under 5 hours. It was hot this year, sunny, no clouds and no breezes. I was over it at mile 15 (still on target for sub 5 hour).

Got home and rested for 5 days and then slowly started back with light training and was running w/in a week, but felt tired. I was starting to get a cold Jan. 30, ran a decent 9.5 miles that day and then got a horrible cold. Ran a horrible 10.5 miles of Feb. 7 ( 2 hours) ...then by the Feb. 13, I was back into it. I ran 11 miles in 1:46. I felt really good about 10 days out and thought if I had a week more to train, I could do well. DD and I did the race together in 2:23. I felt great at mile 7 and in a zone, but had to dial back as DD wasn't as trained...her life got in the way, new job, new boyfriend, etc. We ran the first 10k in an hour. I ran a 10K on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday after the Princess all around 58:30 min. So, as I said I felt really good race day and could have done well, but it was more about "us" then "me".

I would say if you don't go for broke in the full..it is no problem coming back for the Princess half. I will be back for Princess #5 next year.

I don't see myself running another full.

Feel free to ask any other questions...I keep a journal of my training. I also do yoga and pilates.

I do like the idea of limiting 1 style per person and also offering all merchandise to runners first. I would also like the idea of them offering them to runners after they cross the finish line so we don't feel like we jinxed ourselves. I was nervous from the time I bought it and put it in a corner of our room so I wouldn't even look at it. Man, the minute I finished and got my medal, I ran straight back, threw on my "I did it" tee and tore the tags off the bag. That felt really good because I knew I had earned it by that point!:rotfl:

By the time the race is run, the expo is over, so don't count on a lot of finish line merch! They do need to do the bulk of the selling at the expo. At some point, you have to take a leap of faith and buy in anticipation of your victory. After all, it's not like you were buying a shirt that said, "I crushed the course record".

If anyone is local or here currently near WDW, I would highly recommend going to the Disney Outlet stores at one of the two outlet malls here in Orlando, they have nearly all the merchandise from the race at highly discounted rates. They had $3 wine glasses and $3 shot glasses, $10 shirts/tech shirts, $2 head bands and some other merch. Just a heads up. They also had marathon weekend stuff, all the I did It shirts at $16 I believe and the wine glasses for all the races.

If anyone is local or here currently near WDW, I would highly recommend going to the Disney Outlet stores at one of the two outlet malls here in Orlando, they have nearly all the merchandise from the race at highly discounted rates. They had $3 wine glasses and $3 shot glasses, $10 shirts/tech shirts, $2 head bands and some other merch. Just a heads up. They also had marathon weekend stuff, all the I did It shirts at $16 I believe and the wine glasses for all the races.

thanks for the heads-up! anyone know if the outlet takes orders via phone & will ship? i'm 1000+ miles away, so no hunting and pecking through the merchandise for me. boooooo.

I would say if you don't go for broke in the full..it is no problem coming back for the Princess half. I will be back for Princess #5 next year.

thank you for sharing your experience. though i'm not longhorns2, i found your response so helpful because i had been wondering the same.

can't believe it's been two weeks since the princess. feel like Jack from LOST. we have to go back. we have to go BACK!!!

thank you for sharing your experience. though i'm not longhorns2, i found your response so helpful because i had been wondering the same.

can't believe it's been two weeks since the princess. feel like Jack from LOST. we have to go back. we have to go BACK!!!

:rotfl2::rotfl2::thumbsup2 I feel the same way! 2013 is just so far away!:sad1:

I was looking at the pictures and videos on runDisney.com and just wanted to be back there sooooo bad!

Thanks Joan! That does help. Sadly, my going for broke might just be me trying to finish. lol It's not the physical but the mental that I worry about. But I have a year to work through those issues. I'll train for slow and steady for the full.

I'm pretty sure I am going to give Mickey a try in 2013. I'll be back for the Princess as well (my 3rd) but will not be expecting records. lol I figure that race will be for "fun" and hopefully the full training will allow me to be a little faster in the Princess, in order to get any pictures or stops in I might want to make.

I've always said NEVER on a full... but I feel empowered from the Princess this year. I want to go for it and give it a try. Why not on the 20th? If I am not dead or totally miserable, I am eying Goofy 2014 for the 15th anniversary. But I won't put my cart in front of Cindy's horses just yet! :)

Thanks Joan! That does help. Sadly, my going for broke might just be me trying to finish. lol It's not the physical but the mental that I worry about. But I have a year to work through those issues. I'll train for slow and steady for the full.

I'm pretty sure I am going to give Mickey a try in 2013. I'll be back for the Princess as well (my 3rd) but will not be expecting records. lol I figure that race will be for "fun" and hopefully the full training will allow me to be a little faster in the Princess, in order to get any pictures or stops in I might want to make.

I've always said NEVER on a full... but I feel empowered from the Princess this year. I want to go for it and give it a try. Why not on the 20th? If I am not dead or totally miserable, I am eying Goofy 2014 for the 15th anniversary. But I won't put my cart in front of Cindy's horses just yet! :)

Would 2013 be your first marathon? I have far reaching goals for the same...marathon in 2013 and Goofy in 2014.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter