• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2016 5th Anniversary Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend!

Does anyone else here watch Wheel of Fortune? I'm pretty sure today's episode was a rerun because it was one of the Disney ones (which aired originally a few months ago), but ... one of the contestants mentioned that she had run the Tinker Bell Half Marathon!

Does anyone else here watch Wheel of Fortune? I'm pretty sure today's episode was a rerun because it was one of the Disney ones (which aired originally a few months ago), but ... one of the contestants mentioned that she had run the Tinker Bell Half Marathon!
She sounds like a super cool person! :smooth:
Im going all out for the 10k and wearing a tink costume and wings (just tiny ones so i dont hit anyone)
I'm sure there are TONS of wings that weekend!!

Hi Ladies! Decided to join the discussion. I am usually a lurker on the boards, but I have been bitten by the runDisney bug :rolleyes1 I will be running my first Disney race this November, Wine and Dine. Just signed up today for GSC +5k, and I plan to run the PDC in May and earn the Coast to Coast :cool1:. Already have been training, so I guess I will just continue.

I have never been to DL and not sure how to plan this, any advice would be helpful. Traveling from VA if anyone is interested in planning something together.

@kim3339 love the Smee idea! :)
That 1 is my fave too. :goodvibes Well, that 1 and my Matterhorn 1. Smee was easy too, not runner friendly for a 1/2, but fine for a 5k. I found a blue and white stripped shirt at Old Navy (they also had 1 at Target) and used the same blue skirt that I did for Wendy and threw on a red beanie. And the beanie really came in handy this year when it started to rain.

Hi Ladies! Decided to join the discussion. I am usually a lurker on the boards, but I have been bitten by the runDisney bug :rolleyes1 I will be running my first Disney race this November, Wine and Dine. Just signed up today for GSC +5k, and I plan to run the PDC in May and earn the Coast to Coast :cool1:. Already have been training, so I guess I will just continue.

I have never been to DL and not sure how to plan this, any advice would be helpful. Traveling from VA if anyone is interested in planning something together.

You are going to love DL and the Tink weekend!! DL is so much easier to plan than WDW. DL and DCA entrances face each other so you can hop back and forth b/w the parks all day and DTD butts up against them forming a T. You don't need to stay at 1 of the 3 resort hotels, all the hotels (like Best Western types) surround the parks and race weekend if you stay a few blocks out, there's a free shuttle to the parks. If you stay at hotels like BW Stovall's, Eden Roc, Alamo, Quality Inn or BW Pavillions on Katella you can hop out of bed and be at the corrals in 5 mins. If you stay at a hotel on Harbor, you'll be closer to the parks than the start line, but it's a really easy walk down DTD to the race area.

For Tink, the corrals line up on DL Drive w/ the start line under the overpass of DTD and run towards Ball Rd; you line up starting from Katella and down. The staging area and finish line for the 10k & 1/2 are in the parking lot to the Paradise Pier Hotel.

For flying, you can either go Orange County (SNA) which is the closest to DL or LAX which might be cheaper but further out. Travel time from LAX, depending on the time of day could be about 45min to 2 hours if it's rush hour. SNA will be about 20 min depending on traffic.

I am in for the race as well, I just need to decide 10k or half. The most I have done race wise is a local 5k. For obvious reasons the 10k seems much more reasonable for someone who is super out of shape. On the other hand I feel like there is enough time for training for the half. My question is historically how fast does the race sell out? I know I have to decide by 8/11 but I would like to know if I have to be ready right when it opens?

I am in for the race as well, I just need to decide 10k or half. The most I have done race wise is a local 5k. For obvious reasons the 10k seems much more reasonable for someone who is super out of shape. On the other hand I feel like there is enough time for training for the half. My question is historically how fast does the race sell out? I know I have to decide by 8/11 but I would like to know if I have to be ready right when it opens?
I think historically not very quickly...HOWEVER, it will be the 5th anniversary race, so it could go more quickly this year. :confused3

Last edited:

I would definitely plan on being ready right when it opens, just to be safe. The 5th anniversary will affect demand, and every year the races are/seem to be going faster.

Welp. (Potentially) bad news guys.

Found out today that I've been selected for nomination for a spot on the neighborhood association for 2016. It normally would be super cool to be nominated, but if elected it means that I would be over our annual Home Tour (I live in a historic neighborhood recognized by the National Registry) which just happens to fall over ... Mother's Day Weekend.

Which would mean no Tink for me in 2016.

@Ariel484 My BFF, Anna, and I are in for the 10K. We did the 5K in May, in the rain, and are looking forward to the 10K as she will be able to train for the longer distance.

After yesterday's registering stress, I'm hoping for a less stressful Tink registration process! 8-)

Thanks for the great threads!

After yesterday's registering stress, I'm hoping for a less stressful Tink registration process! 8-)

I don't know if I'm entertained or horrified that my benchmark for a good registration process is "the website doesn't go down for 30 minutes."
One of the many things I love so much about the runDisney website...

Welp. (Potentially) bad news guys.

Found out today that I've been selected for nomination for a spot on the neighborhood association for 2016. It normally would be super cool to be nominated, but if elected it means that I would be over our annual Home Tour (I live in a historic neighborhood recognized by the National Registry) which just happens to fall over ... Mother's Day Weekend.

Which would mean no Tink for me in 2016.
Hope the date changes for you! Will you be able to defer the registration, you did it from this year right?

Any hotel recommendations for Katella area close to where the 10K begins? We stayed at Camelot Inn for this year's 5K but I know that @Belle Ella had listed some Katella properties on her Tink thread. Thought I would at least research some room rates - Anabella is $229/night which is a little too high for us. Thanks!

Any hotel recommendations for Katella area close to where the 10K begins? We stayed at Camelot Inn for this year's 5K but I know that @Belle Ella had listed some Katella properties on her Tink thread. Thought I would at least research some room rates - Anabella is $229/night which is a little too high for us. Thanks!
Ones that are close to the corrals outside of Anabella are Eden Roc, BW Stovall's Alamo Inn, Quality Inn and BW Pavillions. I'm not sure where prices are right now, but when I booked a few months back, Stovall's was the cheapest.

Tink veterans - I'm looking at possibly staying at the Fairfield Inn on South Harbor. Is that going to be a crazy-long walk to the 10K/half corrals?

I found this awesome map in my research (though it doesn't show Downtown Disney)...so in looking at this I'd have to cross South Harbor and walk through the esplanade and Downtown Disney to get to the corrals?
AnaheimMap.gif

Ones that are close to the corrals outside of Anabella are Eden Roc, BW Stovall's Alamo Inn, Quality Inn and BW Pavillions. I'm not sure where prices are right now, but when I booked a few months back, Stovall's was the cheapest.
Thank you! I've booked Stovall's @ the AARP rate which makes it comparable to Camelot! :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter