Official 2016 5th Anniversary Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend!

I went into this race weekend with relatively low expectations because of how I felt about the other lady race weekend (Princess), but I gotta say - I absolutely loved this weekend.

Some highlights/thoughts:
- Selfies with the Lost Boys in DCA during the 5K. Our groups was dressed up as Lost Girls (I was a raccoon), and when I approached for my picture, they all screamed "Lost Girl!!!!!!". So adorable and I couldn't stop smiling after I left that stop. Photo evidence:
image.jpeg
- The 10K as a whole. I don't think I've loved an actual race more than I loved this one. The differential between my finish time and moving time on my Garmin pretty much sums that up ... I had A LOT of fun. I know some people were upset about the weather, but it didn't bother me nearly as much as the 10k during Dopey this year. It was just a little slick, but nothing unmanageable.
- Runner Relations was outstanding. I ended up transferring a registration and put in a good proof of time, but I was corralled wrong. I took a shot and went to Runner Relations with my registration and printed PoT ... the gal was so sweet and pointed out that I needed to change the dropdown selection to a different time grouping before I entered PoT. I'm a dummy. But she just checked the spreadsheet and stickered me for Corral ... B!!! I was so freaking excited. I knew the half was going to be slow for me since I took over a month off to recover from an injury (not to mention the mileage of all three races that weekend AND park time), so being that far ahead really, really helped me take the stress off.
- The tunnel at the end of the Half is just plain mean. I was struggling a little at that point, turned the corner and saw it and then said a LOT of potty-mouth words at that point. Which was dumb of me - I "beasted" the same tunnel during the 10k the day before, so I should've figured it would make an appearance during the Half. Another dummy moment for me, but whatever.
- The on-course entertainment was a little light compared to DLH, but it didn't bother me that much. The Red Hat ladies were AMAZING. One even flagged me over and said it looked like I needed a hug (I did) and then hugged my sweaty self. Best sign from them said "When your legs get tired, run with your heart". So freaking true, every single time. I'm actually thinking of having shoe tags made that say that.
- If the Tinkerbell Half course and the Disneyland Half course had a baby that included the neighborhoods and Angels Stadium, it would easily be my favorite half course of all time. I LOVED how many people were out on the course - family members, area residents, everything. So much fan support on the course it was great.
- I think the ASPCA/Humane Society of Anaheim needs to have animals to pet along the course at like Mile 10. That was my lowest point of the day and if I had a puppy to pet, it would have been amazing. So - if anyone reading this is affiliated with that group, let's make that happen!!
- DisFriends. DisFriends are the absolute best. I still can't get over that @Ariel484 took time from her trip to stand on the curb to watch for me by the finish. I cried when I saw her and it gave me the extra boost for that finishing stretch.
- I was not a fan of the merch, which was good for my wallet. I did like the race shirts, though!
- During the half, clearly something went wonky with the 15K mat. Of our group, I think only one or two have 15K times. When I crossed it, the attendant was clearly fussing with two different WiFi hotspots, so I have to figure the mat was having trouble registering and communicating. I know people will look at results and think that's where the course jumping happened, but there's really no way it could have - it was during a really long, straightaway stretch on a major road.
- Course jumping. I saw it happen, and I saw the offender chased down by a race official on a bike. It apparently happened at Star Wars Weekend as well, so I have to imagine RD will probably switch up how they separate the two lanes of runners in the future by using something more prohibitive than cones.
- KIMMY GIBBLER WAS HERE!!! We sent @mbwhitti on a mission to find her, but she somehow passed her before the 5K mat. Sadness.
- Out of the five of us, three set PRs on the course. The weather was beautiful. The course was flat and fast. The kids at the water stops were so amazing and enthusiastic.

Anyway. This race weekend has gone from an absolute one-and-done for me to a definitely must consider. I felt like the demographic skewed slightly older than Princess, but I also thought race etiquette was just under Marathon Weekend, which was a pleasant surprise.

I also think I just like running at Disneyland more - for the outside-the-park aspect, which I know people hate. I just love seeing all the people on the course cheering!

Anyway, that's all I've got! I'll probably chime in later with a more thought-out post, but for those considering Tink ... definitely do it!!

@Keels I was so happy to see you on the course! Seriously regret not meeting up with you and @mbwhitti for a drink or something - how's January work for you? :)

Those medal pics are awesome.

I just saw this picture posted on Facebook and I'm saving it to post in the future as a reminder...

Please be aware of your surroundings...you are not the only person on the course! Be courteous!!

Sigh. Seriously, look at this idiot.
image.jpeg

I think they need to change the spot behind Cars Land.. Not necessarily for the course jumping (that's just stupid to do it there as you won't have a 10k and 15k split time so it would be too obvious). I think they need to change it as it is too crazy for the back of the packers. I was running the last mile and i was essentially running alone on my side. I look over on the otherside for people just finishing their 5th mile and it is packed with little room to run. the cast member announces you are only two minutes ahead of pace. I see sheer panic in some people and then some shoving. People tried to run on my side of the cones where i really have no one around me and cast members are yelling at the people running their 6th mile to get back on the otherside of the cone where its barely moving.

There has to be a way to change the course and open up both sides instead of dividing up sides where back of the packers can't move and get yelled at for trying to run on the otherside where its clear. I'm sure both sides open once people get swept before the 5th mile so when people come to the 12th mile the entire back of cars land is open for the crowd. i also understand why they tell them to stay on their side of the cone for safety reasons. Still, it was crazy for the people at mile 5 with the crowding only to look at the otherside of the cones to see all the space.

Last edited:
I just saw this picture posted on Facebook and I'm saving it to post in the future as a reminder...

Please be aware of your surroundings...you are not the only person on the course! Be courteous!!

Sigh. Seriously, look at this idiot.
View attachment 167421

I did that to someone once. I felt so bad about it. And I learned my lesson - my hands stay by my sides, even if I'm excited (except at the finish line, where they go directly up).
Seriously, people.

@Keels I'm trying to get my pics to download and I swear, after seeing your Lost Boy picture, that you showed up in one of my pictures... Too funny!

I had a blast during the 5K, except for when someone sprinted past me saying "Passing on the right!" If she had stayed right, that would have been fine...only she cut left and collided with me. Sigh!

Last edited:
@Keels I'm trying to get my pics to download and I swear, after seeing your Lost Boy picture, that you showed up in one of my pictures... Too funny!

I had a blast during the 5K, except for when some sprinted past me saying "Passing on the right!" If she had stayed right, that would have been fine...only she cut left and collided with me. Sigh!

Think part of the problem is no assigned corrals and instead having corrals on a first come first serve basis. You get walkers and runners in the same corral and that's a recipe for lots of pushing and runners getting mad at walkers and vice versa

Last item ... I FREAKING LOVE PHOTOPASS! I, personally, look terrible in my photos - but the lighting, saturation and just overall makeup of the race photos by PhotoPass photographers are such an amazing improvement!

This was my favorite from the 5K:
image.jpeg

Just a raccoon and a skunk out for a little early morning run!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter