Official 2019 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend

That's hilarious. Two years ago I saw someone running as Chewbacca, but it was disturbing for a different reason. He was wearing a bandolier, orange speedos, and the rest was all his natural body hair.
I remember him! I was so grossed out

The one thing I noticed costume-wise on the 2017 Light Side Half was how many Leias there were. (Carrie Fisher had died less than a month before.) I think I saw literally every Leia costume from the movies - mostly the white dress and cinnamon buns, but also the Bespin gown, the Hoth quilted jacket, the award presentation gown from the end of ANH, a slave bikini (over a skin-colored tank top), Boushh the bounty hunter, Endor fatigues, and one older woman dressed as General Organa. I talked to the latter briefly after the race - she had a picture of Carrie pinned to her back, and said she was running for Carrie.

My favorite was a guy dressed as George Lucas at the inaugural Dark Side Half at WDW. It was HOT and he did 13.1 in jeans, a short sleeve dress shirt, and wig. I ran near him most of the race and he was absolutely soaked with sweat by the halfway point - I can't even imagine the discomfort and chafing! :scared1:
That's the one thing that really baffles me about some costume choices. Are they not even thinking about discomfort and chafing? Or are they learning the hard way exactly what that feels like? I'll happily run in costume, but I want to test it before the event. And my costume always consists of tech clothing.

I got my picture taken during the inaugural Light Side 10K with a runner dressed as George Lucas, complete with flannel shirt, jeans, and a small megaphone which he was using to shout encouragement to everyone on the course. But since that was a 10K, it probably wasn't too insane by the end.

The one thing I noticed costume-wise on the 2017 Light Side Half was how many Leias there were. (Carrie Fisher had died less than a month before.)
That race was the first large gathering of Star Wars fans after her passing. I also noticed a lot of people posted memorials of her on the back of their shirts if they weren't running in full costume. I loved how the spinner half medal that year had Leia on one side. It became very fitting although nobody knew it at the time they released that medal.

There was a guy two years ago who was dressed as Darth Helmet from Spaceballs. Had a trash can that he turned into the giant helmet. That had to be comfortable for 13 miles when it was 70+ degrees out.
Haha remember that. I saw a couple of those last year too, If I recall, one was leading a group of TIE fighters. I gave the "pilots" bonus points for crossing the finish line in formation. I was also running behind Cruella D'Sith that race. That wig looked... warm.

A little late to the thread. This will be my first Run Disney and I'm very excited, its been on my bucket list for a long time. Hopefully the snow and ice will melt and I can get outside and run instead of constantly on a treadmill. Any advice for a Run Disney Newbie?
Welcome! Its' a great race weekend to introduce you to the runDisney world. Best advice I can give is to read up on the details on rD's website, and read up when the official race guide is released online - generally a few weeks out from race weekend. Don't worry if you don't get an email about it: you'll likely know about it here first. ;)

What PrincessV said! Also, depending which race you're doing, plan on getting to the corrals early. The longer the race distance, the earlier you will want to be in order to navigate the crowds, use the bathroom, attempt to get a pre-race character picture if you so desire, and get into your corral. What's in the guide seems crazy early - it's not. I've had to start with a later corral than the one to which I was assigned twice now because it took forever to get through the bathroom lines.

A little late to the thread. This will be my first Run Disney and I'm very excited, its been on my bucket list for a long time. Hopefully the snow and ice will melt and I can get outside and run instead of constantly on a treadmill. Any advice for a Run Disney Newbie?
In addition to the great advice you've already received, I want to say be sure to enjoy the Disney aspect of the race. That may be Star Wars character photos (only Star Wars characters on the course/staging area), stopping for photos in the theme parks, and/or photos with Star Wars themes (trash compactor, Emperor's Throne).

My first half ever was at Disneyland. I was so terrified of not finishing that I didn't take any photos during the race and I missed some great photo opportunities. If you're a slower runner, be cognizant of your speed, but don't be afraid to enjoy the unique things that come at a runDisney race.

If you like podcasts, Joyful Miles posts lost of tips and trip reports and they are great to listen to while running! :)

Is anyone getting the pre-order jacket? I hate ordering when I can't see the design, but when I did the Tinkerbell race I ended up liking the pre-order jacket better than the ones they sold at the Expo. Do they ever sell any after the race?

Eight weeks until the 5k! I'm going to go through my running clothes this weekend and see if anything inspires me, and try to determine what I need to buy if I want to at least be in the Star Wars spirit if not full costume. I do love Carrie Fisher in all forms and would have loved to have a Leia costume in a race one day, but the idea of being one of maybe hundreds of Leias doesn't appeal to me personally, especially after so many years of everyone doing it. Also I have learned from experience I don't look good in race photos when I'm wearing all white so that has to be taken into account :cutie: All this talk of heat and chafing limits options for me because if there is one thing I hate it's being too hot in a race.

More importantly I hope everyone's training is chugging along. I'm looking forward to running at least the half for fun only and not worrying about time if my competitive (with myself) nature will allow it.

Is anyone getting the pre-order jacket? I hate ordering when I can't see the design, but when I did the Tinkerbell race I ended up liking the pre-order jacket better than the ones they sold at the Expo. Do they ever sell any after the race?
Keep checking the product page as they could put up a picture like they did for Marathon and Princess. They had lots of the marathon weekend preorder for sale at the Expo, All-Star Sports had them I know too and in the tent after the race. But, every race is different it seems on how much they have to sell.

Eight weeks until the 5k! I'm going to go through my running clothes this weekend and see if anything inspires me, and try to determine what I need to buy if I want to at least be in the Star Wars spirit if not full costume. I do love Carrie Fisher in all forms and would have loved to have a Leia costume in a race one day, but the idea of being one of maybe hundreds of Leias doesn't appeal to me personally, especially after so many years of everyone doing it. Also I have learned from experience I don't look good in race photos when I'm wearing all white so that has to be taken into account :cutie: All this talk of heat and chafing limits options for me because if there is one thing I hate it's being too hot in a race.

More importantly I hope everyone's training is chugging along. I'm looking forward to running at least the half for fun only and not worrying about time if my competitive (with myself) nature will allow it.

ARG!! 8 WEEKS!! I have my costume set, but my training is slacking. I am anxious for Princess weekend to get over with so that the focus will be on Star Wars! I hear you on the all white! I am good with my all black Darth, very slimming, lol!

All this talk of heat and chafing limits options for me because if there is one thing I hate it's being too hot in a race.
Yep, that's always been the main determiner of costuming for me at Dark Side races. Though, with it the first week in April this time, I'm now considering the possibility that it could be chilly enough for me to need more coverage. (Last year, we had a cold front a week or so before Dark Side - it's a possibility.) I'm 90% sure I want to make an iron-on for the half, and I'm thinking I'll iron it onto a piece of fabric and pin or hand-sew that to whatever shirt I use, so I can choose between tank, short sleeves, or long sleeves, as needed.

Yep, that's always been the main determiner of costuming for me at Dark Side races. Though, with it the first week in April this time, I'm now considering the possibility that it could be chilly enough for me to need more coverage. (Last year, we had a cold front a week or so before Dark Side - it's a possibility.) I'm 90% sure I want to make an iron-on for the half, and I'm thinking I'll iron it onto a piece of fabric and pin or hand-sew that to whatever shirt I use, so I can choose between tank, short sleeves, or long sleeves, as needed.
Great minds think alike because I was thinking the same thing for the 10k!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter