Official Avengers Half Marathon Weekend 2015 Thread

Alright we are exactly 1 month away from general registration. Still no updates to the runDisney page. I'm guessing they are waiting until Wine and Dine registration is open. Then it will be just a week away from DVC/AP registration... So I think they will need to start adding some official details. I'll keep my eye on the website and some of the travel agency's sites and post when I see any updates.

I know a few people have said they were planning on attending Avengers... Any new takers getting interested? The mix of Christmas decorations and 60th anniversary stuff should make it extra special!

I had planned to be in but got drawn for NYMARATHON. My budget won't allow for both so I guess I'm waiting for 2016. Good luck to all trying to get registered.

I am hoping to join all you for Avengers this year. I would be going for my Coast to Coast to celebrate my 40th:scared:. But, I need to have a surgery that has a 6 week with no exercise recovery period either late in the spring or the summer so I am not sure yet if I will be able to. It depends if I can get the surgery scheduled by early summer or if I have to wait until later. My doctors appointment to find out the timeline is the 17th, so that will give me a week before early registration to think over the possibilities once I know the whole plan. I've done GSC twice, so I've trained for those races twice. I know I need at least 12 weeks to be ready, so I need to be through my recovery period by August to be comfortable signing up.

I'm an optimistic type person so I hope to go, and have started trip planning. I'm trying to decide about where to stay. I'd love to use DVC points, but I hear they are very hard to use at 7 months, because of no availability. I am wondering about the other hotels. For those of you who are more familiar with the DL races, which are closest to the start and within a walking distance?

I am hoping to join all you for Avengers this year. I would be going for my Coast to Coast to celebrate my 40th:scared:. But, I need to have a surgery that has a 6 week with no exercise recovery period either late in the spring or the summer so I am not sure yet if I will be able to. It depends if I can get the surgery scheduled by early summer or if I have to wait until later. My doctors appointment to find out the timeline is the 17th, so that will give me a week before early registration to think over the possibilities once I know the whole plan. I've done GSC twice, so I've trained for those races twice. I know I need at least 12 weeks to be ready, so I need to be through my recovery period by August to be comfortable signing up.

I'm an optimistic type person so I hope to go, and have started trip planning. I'm trying to decide about where to stay. I'd love to use DVC points, but I hear they are very hard to use at 7 months, because of no availability. I am wondering about the other hotels. For those of you who are more familiar with the DL races, which are closest to the start and within a walking distance?

I don't know what surgery your having but I had surgery with a 6 week recovery where all I was allowed to do was walk and ride a stationary bike (which for me was no where near my normal level of exercise). Well I managed to talk my RN into letting me do some light running (translation: slower pace then normal and make sure I'm not moving my upper body (where I had surgery) as much) about 4 weeks in but I don't think that's normal. I did that and still made Dumbo (with a new PR on top of it, for reference I was through recovery and back to normal training by mid April). Heck I made Avengers last year after missing almost a month of run training (lots of time on the bike though) because of a recently diagnosed hip impingement. Will you worry your butt off going into the race? Depends, I was fine going into Dumbo, however with my hip issue I was a nervous wreck going into the Wine and Dine/Avengers combo. However if you've done most of your training before and after that 6 week period you should be okay. May or may not be as fast normal depending on everything but overall you should be fine.

I'm joining the ranks of those who are unable to do Avengers this year. I'm bummed. And I know I'll be super bummed if they announce a 10k/half challenge but oh well. I'll definitely see some of you on the Star Wars thread for 2016!

Dh will be in for the Half and he'll probably join me for the 5k this year also. We did last year and had so much fun! We live in So Cal and he actually loves the Santa Ana winds and dryness so it helped motivate him. It was his first half and he was really nervous about finishing but he did great. I put the AP registration date on my calender. :)

I don't know what surgery your having but I had surgery with a 6 week recovery where all I was allowed to do was walk and ride a stationary bike (which for me was no where near my normal level of exercise). Well I managed to talk my RN into letting me do some light running (translation: slower pace then normal and make sure I'm not moving my upper body (where I had surgery) as much) about 4 weeks in but I don't think that's normal. I did that and still made Dumbo (with a new PR on top of it, for reference I was through recovery and back to normal training by mid April). Heck I made Avengers last year after missing almost a month of run training (lots of time on the bike though) because of a recently diagnosed hip impingement. Will you worry your butt off going into the race? Depends, I was fine going into Dumbo, however with my hip issue I was a nervous wreck going into the Wine and Dine/Avengers combo. However if you've done most of your training before and after that 6 week period you should be okay. May or may not be as fast normal depending on everything but overall you should be fine.

My surgery is abdominal, and success rate is connected to a low-impact recovery. My first doctor said that meant no impact of any kind for 6-8 weeks, can't even lift more than 10 pounds. Thats why I've been putting it off. I had to wait until my kids were old enough I never need to pick them up anymore. According to that first doctor I can't bike, swim, run etc. for at least 6 weeks. For the first 4 weeks I can't even walk for exercise, I am supposed to consolidate trips up and downstairs in my house and only walk as much as is required by my daily activities. Its been nearly 3 years since the last time I talked to a doctor about this surgery (those restrictions really turned me off) so I am hoping maybe the new doctor will have slightly better news for the recovery period, but in the end. I want this to be a one and done operation, so I don't want to push the recovery period to fast and end up back in surgery a few months later to fix it. I will keep running up until surgery and keep my fitness up as much as I can, its just a matter of how much it will decline during the recovery period and how fast I can get it back. Since first getting in shape 5 years ago I now run 3-4 days/week, cross train 2x, and strength train 2-3x/week right now, so this will be a major adjustment. Physically and mentally. I'm hoping that having a race to look forward to, as well as a trip to CA and bringing my kids to DL will all keep me distracted enough during recovery and motivated enough when I am ready to train.

If my excitement at reading the news above about the (now deleted) announcement of the 10k and Challenge are any indication I will be just fine:)

My surgery is abdominal, and success rate is connected to a low-impact recovery. My first doctor said that meant no impact of any kind for 6-8 weeks, can't even lift more than 10 pounds. Thats why I've been putting it off. I had to wait until my kids were old enough I never need to pick them up anymore. According to that first doctor I can't bike, swim, run etc. for at least 6 weeks. For the first 4 weeks I can't even walk for exercise, I am supposed to consolidate trips up and downstairs in my house and only walk as much as is required by my daily activities. Its been nearly 3 years since the last time I talked to a doctor about this surgery (those restrictions really turned me off) so I am hoping maybe the new doctor will have slightly better news for the recovery period, but in the end. I want this to be a one and done operation, so I don't want to push the recovery period to fast and end up back in surgery a few months later to fix it. I will keep running up until surgery and keep my fitness up as much as I can, its just a matter of how much it will decline during the recovery period and how fast I can get it back. Since first getting in shape 5 years ago I now run 3-4 days/week, cross train 2x, and strength train 2-3x/week right now, so this will be a major adjustment. Physically and mentally. I'm hoping that having a race to look forward to, as well as a trip to CA and bringing my kids to DL will all keep me distracted enough during recovery and motivated enough when I am ready to train.

If my excitement at reading the news above about the (now deleted) announcement of the 10k and Challenge are any indication I will be just fine:)

Yeah I had WLS in February of last year so mine was abominable. But we're encouraged to at least move some after surgery so that's the difference between what I had and what your having I think. I completely get the turn off. I wasn't the happiest camper when I was told I would have to stop running for six weeks. I put up with it for the most part. But wasn't happy. I think the hardest part about the forced rest is the mental aspect. Or at least it was for me. Hopefully everything goes well with it and you'll be back at it as soon as the six week mark hit (I know I was, I was holding back and then once I hit six weeks I was going at it like I had before).

http://www.rundisney.com/avengers-half-marathon/

Infinity Gauntlet Challenge and Captain America 10K officially listed on the runDisney website!!! It's happening!!

That is SO great! We've all thought it was a sure thing... But it's nice to have some official info (even if they did remove it quickly) ha ha.
I've been wondering what theme's they would go with for the Challenge and 10K... I have to say I'm very impressed. Going with "Infinity Gauntlet" really shows that runDisney is paying attention to what is happening in the "Marvel Universe". We are still several years away from the Avengers: Infinty War movie, but each of the movies is setting up that story. And Captain America is my FAVORITE Avenger... So I'm loving that 10K theme.

AND... its gone. They thought they could sneak it past us... lol

Ha Ha... SO true. They should know better than to try and sneak some thing past intense runDisney fans ;)

Question: if I am going for my coast to coast medal do I need to do anything to indicate that during registration?

Question: if I am going for my coast to coast medal do I need to do anything to indicate that during registration?

I don't if anything is changed, but it used to give you the option to say that you are. However, at the expo in DL last year, they didn't have me registered for it, so I had to go to the RunDisney booth anyway. They just verified I had run a race in WDW and gave me a wristband.

That is SO great! We've all thought it was a sure thing... But it's nice to have some official info (even if they did remove it quickly) ha ha.
I've been wondering what theme's they would go with for the Challenge and 10K... I have to say I'm very impressed. Going with "Infinity Gauntlet" really shows that runDisney is paying attention to what is happening in the "Marvel Universe". We are still several years away from the Avengers: Infinty War movie, but each of the movies is setting up that story. And Captain America is my FAVORITE Avenger... So I'm loving that 10K theme.
this is starting to cost me a lot of money! At least I already have DVC reservations that weekend.

When you register there's a box to check that says Coast-to-Coast, but that's it. They'll give you a wristband when you pick up your packet and you show that to get your medal.

I'm in...and probably for the challenge. Maybe all three, except that having the 5k on Friday makes it hard to get my nephews down to Anaheim, and I'd only do it if the 8 year old wanted to run.

Heads up its not a wristband anymore (unless they went back)! I know they went to a photo verification method at Wine and Dine last year and they were using that at last years Avengers. I assume they used the same thing for Star Wars for those coming from WDW the week prior. But since I didn't do that race I can't verify it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter