Official Avengers Super Hero Half Marathon Weekend 2014 Thread!

Happy summer, congrats on running 10 miles! You are good to go! I just recently started running half marathons and have survived them. Just don't change anything from your training, like eating something new or drink before or during the race. Sometimes, I have to play mind games at mile 10 and tell myself "It's just another 5k" or "Just a workout run". Good Luck and enjoy the Disney atmosphere!

What are ya'll thoughts on this. I ran ToT this year (not my best one but I finished well in front of balloon ladies) and since then have only been doing 30 minute or less runs. I am worried about Avengers (well and Wine and Dine idk why I did this to myself) should I be worried? I know what my issues were at Tower (ate too late and gps watch broke) so I am making sure to fix those issues. I just haven't been able to get back in a groove. I think doing my worst run at Tower really screwed my head when I had been doing so well up to that point.

What are ya'll thoughts on this. I ran ToT this year (not my best one but I finished well in front of balloon ladies) and since then have only been doing 30 minute or less runs. I am worried about Avengers (well and Wine and Dine idk why I did this to myself) should I be worried? I know what my issues were at Tower (ate too late and gps watch broke) so I am making sure to fix those issues. I just haven't been able to get back in a groove. I think doing my worst run at Tower really screwed my head when I had been doing so well up to that point.

I ran the TOT too! Allow me to share my leaning curve... My first night half marathon in July did not go well. It was hot and I had not idea what to eat that day. Well, I didn't eat well and the heat really got to me. I finished the race, but really 'bonked' and scared myself. Since then, I took many advice from other runners and corrected my mistakes. Yes, I was really worried about the TOT race and finished feeling really good at the finish line. Keep your chin up and continue your training because you are not alone.

You just need to change your self-talk a little. Consider the 30 minute runs "maintenance" runs - keeping your fitness up instead of being a problem. We all have bad runs, and often they're followed by good ones, so look forward to the run as a way to reset your body.

What was the problem with your GPS watch? I try to run a couple of times a month without anything, so I can let my body do the pacing instead of the watch. That might help you for when things like a broken watch happen on race day.

Don't worry - look forward to the run and how cool it will be!

You'll be fine. It is all a mental game. You're body is ready for it. Dont worry, tell let yourself think that not finishing is an option. Tell yourself you can and will do it...and you will! Don't think about Tower if it screws with you. Put it to the back of your mind and know you can do this.

My last half was in May, I PRd. Great right? Well since then my longest run was 7.5 miles and thanks to my IT band I walked the last 3.5. So now my goal is simply to finish. And I know I can do it. It wont be easy but I'll do it. It doesn't matter what has happened in the past, all that matters is what I do on race day.

You just need to change your self-talk a little. Consider the 30 minute runs "maintenance" runs - keeping your fitness up instead of being a problem. We all have bad runs, and often they're followed by good ones, so look forward to the run as a way to reset your body. What was the problem with your GPS watch? I try to run a couple of times a month without anything, so I can let my body do the pacing instead of the watch. That might help you for when things like a broken watch happen on race day. Don't worry - look forward to the run and how cool it will be!

GPS never linked successfully and since it appears it never did it defaulted to the foot pod. The foot pod was completely off and so I was under the impression I was doing 14 mi miles when in fact I had been doing 16:30 miles. I didn't find out until I got the official text at the 5K.

The other issues were uncontrollable and just unfortunately something lady runners have to deal with.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Wine and Dine is my first half (once again *** was i thinking signing up for 2 within a week) so I'm nervous plus it will be my first solo running trip. Thank goodness I have my BF tagging along for Avengers.

GPS never linked successfully and since it appears it never did it defaulted to the foot pod. The foot pod was completely off and so I was under the impression I was doing 14 mi miles when in fact I had been doing 16:30 miles. I didn't find out until I got the official text at the 5K.

The other issues were uncontrollable and just unfortunately something lady runners have to deal with.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Wine and Dine is my first half (once again *** was i thinking signing up for 2 within a week) so I'm nervous plus it will be my first solo running trip. Thank goodness I have my BF tagging along for Avengers.

Oh, that's a bummer. (About the GPS, that is.) I had a similar problem on my last long run before the Marine Corps Marathon. I was on travel for work, had scoped out a course online but didn't know the area at all, and had to run 20 miles. My GPS never synched and my iPhone battery was so bad that it was under 50% by mile 5. Blech. Still don't know exactly how far or what pace I ran.

At least you've run a night race before W&D, even if it wasn't the best. You've got a better idea how to prepare and you're still in good shape since you've been doing some running.

If you're concerned about pacing, you could go low tech. Cool Running has a pace calculator tool. Enter the time and distance and it gives you a target pace. Then click on the link that says "Calculate Splits". It gives you a desired time for each mile. Write the biggies (i.e. 4, 6, 8, 12) on your arm in Sharpie (I told you it was low tech) and glance down when you hit that marker. You can adjust faster or slower from there. I used it in conjunction with my watch so that even if I dropped GPS due to tunnels or bridges, I had a time to check. This was the first race I did that with and I think I'll do it all the time now, it kind of lowered my stress level to see in ink that I was on track.

I was just wondering if anyone else here has not run 13 miles. My longest run is 10 miles.
I never run more than 10 miles in training for a half marathon based on the training plans I use. This will be my 26th half.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Oh, that's a bummer. (About the GPS, that is.) I had a similar problem on my last long run before the Marine Corps Marathon. I was on travel for work, had scoped out a course online but didn't know the area at all, and had to run 20 miles. My GPS never synched and my iPhone battery was so bad that it was under 50% by mile 5. Blech. Still don't know exactly how far or what pace I ran. At least you've run a night race before W&D, even if it wasn't the best. You've got a better idea how to prepare and you're still in good shape since you've been doing some running. If you're concerned about pacing, you could go low tech. Cool Running has a pace calculator tool. Enter the time and distance and it gives you a target pace. Then click on the link that says "Calculate Splits". It gives you a desired time for each mile. Write the biggies (i.e. 4, 6, 8, 12) on your arm in Sharpie (I told you it was low tech) and glance down when you hit that marker. You can adjust faster or slower from there. I used it in conjunction with my watch so that even if I dropped GPS due to tunnels or bridges, I had a time to check. This was the first race I did that with and I think I'll do it all the time now, it kind of lowered my stress level to see in ink that I was on track.
Oh I need to do that. How does that work with the corral starts? Would I just mentally adjust based on the time I crossed the start mat?

Oh I need to do that. How does that work with the corral starts? Would I just mentally adjust based on the time I crossed the start mat?

I'd use a simple watch with a timer on it. That was how I did it before I had a gps watch. I started the timer when crossed the start line and then just checked my time at each mile marker.

That is a very inexpensive way to go. I wear mine all the time as an everyday watch.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Yup - you don't need a GPS watch for this method, just a timer. Start the timer as you cross the starting line mat, not when your wave starts to go; a second or so difference won't be a big deal if you're close to the front, but it could be more than a few seconds if you are near the back. Then check the timer at each mile marker or at pre-set times - I do 5, 10, 13, 15, and 20 for the marathon, will probably do 4, 8, and 12 for the half. If you're concerned about your pace, maybe do 2, 4, 6, 8, and then 13. Give yourself lots of feedback at the beginning to settle into a good pace, and then run straight the last few miles.

I like this method better than trying to keep pace with the GPS, especially if you're doing run/walk intervals. The GPS is reactive and so it's always trying to catch up to what you're doing.

longest I've ran was ToT about a month ago now. My last long run was 9, and will do 11 this weekend. I want the 1/2 to be the day I go further than I have ever been before.

Is anyone else running in costume? I am gonna try to run with cape, tights, hero mask etc... never have run with cape, or mask before. Is it advisable to do practice runs in full costume? I cant see myself running around the park dressed like a super hero and dont have access to a treadmill

I'm running in costume. Since I made the top I'm wearing, I'll probably give it a test run this weekend. And yes, it will look strange since it's an illusion top (close to flesh toned on top, red on the bottom) but I want to see if I need to change the arm holes.

Be careful about wearing a mask - check the race guide to see if yours fits within the guidelines, I don't know if they prohibit all masks or just some.

i read that too, but even on the runDisney site on the pre staged hype pictures of the event they have a girl dressed as cap with a half face mask, mine is only covering the eyes. I hope that since its a hero themed race a little flexibility
is shown towards the costumes

i read that too, but even on the runDisney site on the pre staged hype pictures of the event they have a girl dressed as cap with a half face mask, mine is only covering the eyes. I hope that since its a hero themed race a little flexibility is shown towards the costumes

Disney never policies masks unless they are the like vynl over the head type ones. I see a lot of Captain America masks and Incredibles masks at every race.

I just wanted to share a tip/suggestion to anyone who may be interested~

We will be visiting DLR for the Avenger's race weekend and I was really concerned with finding convenient, healthy, relatively budget friendly nutrition for our trip pre and post races. My DD also has food allergies which makes finding healthy options a challenge sometimes. Someone on the DL board suggested ordering from a grocery service, so that is what I did. I arranged a delivery from Von's and hoping it works out well, because it's awesome!

Because it was a first order, I was able to get free delivery, and a free case of water and a 6 pack of paper towels with a promo code they emailed to me for signing up. For approximately $50, we got 2 cases of water, OJ, Gatorades, chocolate milk, bagels, cream cheese, fresh fruit and a bunch of healthy snacks.

It was so easy to do and I think overall, we will save a ton of money and time with this order. They will deliver it to bell services at your hotel and you can arrange pick up or delivery with bell services at your hotel. (I double checked)

Thought this might be a good option if anyone is coming out of state and won't have a car, like us.

:)

I just want to give everyone a 'heads up' about the GET Travel discounted tickets. I just found out that, because they are discounted, you do not get the Magic Morning/Early Entry with the 3 or more days. You have to be staying at a Disney resort to get the early entry. I don't know if that changes the park you will visit. I'm a WDW vet and I know it makes a difference there, but I'm not sure about DL/DCA.

I just want to give everyone a 'heads up' about the GET Travel discounted tickets. I just found out that, because they are discounted, you do not get the Magic Morning/Early Entry with the 3 or more days. You have to be staying at a Disney resort to get the early entry. I don't know if that changes the park you will visit. I'm a WDW vet and I know it makes a difference there, but I'm not sure about DL/DCA.

Did they say you don't get it? There is a special ticket you can buy even if you are off site that includes one magic morning at DL only not DCA.

Well, in one week I'll be struggling to get to sleep in advance of race morning. My family has just arrived in California tonight. We're staying in Carlsbad for a few days at the San Diego Zoo, Legoland, etc. before moving up to Anaheim mid-week. My training plan should have me still doing a variety of runs this week as I'm also training for the Dopey in January, but I'm not sure I'll get much (or any) of those runs in other than maybe a couple of quick miles on one or two mornings.

Oh well, I'm not doing these Disney races for fast times. I did my fat "proof of time" run earlier this year and got a good corral placement so I'm happy with that.

After telling my wife for months I had no interest in wearing any kind of costume for this run, the day before we left I bought a cheap T-shirt at Walmart with the Captain America shield on the front and a frisbee-sized shield with an elastic candle to go along with it. I'm still not sure if I'll actually use them (costumes are just not my thing) but I'll see how I feel as the day gets closer and may use it just to surprise her. The main concern I have is the cotton shirt won't wick the sweat away like the tech shirts I would normally wear. It's a super-thin (cheap) shirt so maybe it's not too much of an issue, or maybe I could wear a thin tech shirt underneath just to keep the cotton from rubbing.

Anyway, better get some sleep before the San Diego Zoo tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter