Opinions on "line cutting"?

The kiddo bathroom emergency or someone catching up to the gate entrance line with coffee for the group is one thing but if your party is not together when you enter the attraction line...tough cookies...you are separated.

I have politely and calmly physically blocked people blatantly trying to advance forcing them to cause a scene for others to see if they wanna push it.

It is a cultural shfit of people cutting that no longer have any respect for themselves or others and don't know what the answer is but wish cast members were more assertive in stopping line cutters

I recently saw a Facebook exchange between two acquaintances. One was asking for Disneyland advice, and the other was telling her things like, “take your kid on Snow White, while the grandparents traveling with you hold you a spot in the line for space mountain” & “Indiana Jones is close to Pirates, so take your kid on IJ, then catch up with grandma in the pirates line.”

She was just casually throwing it out there, the same way that I would give advice like “get to the gates early” or “buy genie plus.” It blew my mind that anyone could think that casually about cutting in line.

I don't think of it as cutting if someone leaves the line and comes back, like for a bathroom break. Some of the queues are so tricky to get in and out of I don't think people leave unless they have to. But if you're waiting a long time with a child sometimes a break is necessary.

I see cutting more at the front gates than on rides. I don't know if people even think of it as cutting when they're going to the front gates. Sometimes there's such a mass of people or a hold up at security a family will send someone ahead to hold a place, but ideally they'd just wait for their whole group before getting in the line.

Last edited:

Ok, line cutting can be aggravating for those that follow the rules. Then there are those that don't follow the rules.

It is what it is, not much anyone can do about it other than vent which we are free to do. Maybe the tides will change back to doing the right thing in our social interactions??

You could also complain about 1 person grabbing a table for a meal that is with a group getting food, not letting anyone else use that table.
or one person laying claim to a big area for the parade.

I got super frustrated last June when a family (3 people with 1 adult and 2 teens) jumped over the railing in the stand-by line from Big Thunder into the Lightning Lane in front of us. All the people around us started yelling at them and when we got to the next CM, I said something. She went and talked to them and came back and said "they were just getting with the rest of their family". I said "Okay, then why didn't they just scan in to the LL and come through that way? They jumped the railing..." The group was clearly not getting with family, they were going up as far as they could without getting caught. I don't want CMs to put themselves in danger or start a confrontation but it's annoying to see people just blatantly skip the line, and in this case from stand-by to LL.

I totally understand an adult taking a child to the bathroom and returning or even one adult running to the bathroom and getting back with their group. Stuff happens, lines end up being longer than stated, etc. But I also think everyone needs to get in line together to begin with, then if an emergency occurs, leave/return in as small a group as possible.

Like someone else said, it's nice to vent but until something is put in place to actively stop it, it's probably not going to change.

I feel better after typing out my Big Thunder experience. Thanks for reading it. 😅

You could also complain about 1 person grabbing a table for a meal that is with a group getting food, not letting anyone else use that table.
or one person laying claim to a big area for the parade.
Ah yes, Placeholders. That's a related but separate debate. You should start a thread on it :rotfl:

Line cutting is nothing new, but I think it has gotten worse as crowds have increased.

Many years ago I had a boyfriend who seemed really great. Shortly after we started datng, we went to a pro baseball game and he grabbed my hand and pushed through the line to the front. I kept saying, "What are you doing???" and he just snickered. Dumb little me didn't get that he was pushing us up to the front of the line until we were almost there. He didn't pay any attention to the comments and glares. It was mortifying but it quickly opened my eyes to his selfish nature and brought a quick end to the relationship.

Last edited:
I got super frustrated last June when a family (3 people with 1 adult and 2 teens) jumped over the railing in the stand-by line from Big Thunder into the Lightning Lane in front of us. All the people around us started yelling at them and when we got to the next CM, I said something. She went and talked to them and came back and said "they were just getting with the rest of their family". I said "Okay, then why didn't they just scan in to the LL and come through that way? They jumped the railing..." The group was clearly not getting with family, they were going up as far as they could without getting caught. I don't want CMs to put themselves in danger or start a confrontation but it's annoying to see people just blatantly skip the line, and in this case from stand-by to LL.

I totally understand an adult taking a child to the bathroom and returning or even one adult running to the bathroom and getting back with their group. Stuff happens, lines end up being longer than stated, etc. But I also think everyone needs to get in line together to begin with, then if an emergency occurs, leave/return in as small a group as possible.

Like someone else said, it's nice to vent but until something is put in place to actively stop it, it's probably not going to change.

I feel better after typing out my Big Thunder experience. Thanks for reading it. 😅
That's so brazen! You're totally right that they would have gone through the proper line if they were actually meeting their family.

Last summer we saw two kids jump over the railing into the Rise line. The CM yelled at them and tried to catch them but they disappeared into the crowd. I can't believe people do things like that.

As others have said, I have no problem with a few people rejoining (especially if there is a small child). Bathroom emergencies happen. However, you can usually tell who these people are from the actual liner cutters since they will typically excuse themselves and mention they are rejoining their group.

We saw such brazen line cutting once that it was just comical. This was on Monsters Inc oddly enough, the line was maybe 15 minutes. Suddenly a woman just starts pushing her way through, not even saying anything to anyone as she passed. My DH was very annoyed and I mentioned "She's probably just meeting up with her group." At this point we were close to the loading area. Well, we saw her enter the vehicle...by herself. It was so ridiculous we just started laughing. Monsters Inc seemed like an odd choice to line cut, but maybe she was doing it on every attraction! Makes you wonder why some people think they are above everyone else.🤷‍♀️

As others have said, I have no problem with a few people rejoining (especially if there is a small child). Bathroom emergencies happen. However, you can usually tell who these people are from the actual liner cutters since they will typically excuse themselves and mention they are rejoining their group.

We saw such brazen line cutting once that it was just comical. This was on Monsters Inc oddly enough, the line was maybe 15 minutes. Suddenly a woman just starts pushing her way through, not even saying anything to anyone as she passed. My DH was very annoyed and I mentioned "She's probably just meeting up with her group." At this point we were close to the loading area. Well, we saw her enter the vehicle...by herself. It was so ridiculous we just started laughing. Monsters Inc seemed like an odd choice to line cut, but maybe she was doing it on every attraction! Makes you wonder why some people think they are above everyone else.🤷‍♀️
I will admit, the times it happens and the people saying 'meeting my group up ahead' - I sometimes wonder if there even is a group ahead! But people moved aside and let them through!!

I have a different take on it. I kind of go by how many fit in the ride vehicle for the ride of the line we are in.

For instance, if it's Peter Pan, and 1 person is in line and then 2 join them, if they use the same ride vehicle, I'm no worse off than I was.

Or for Alice, if 3 people join 1 in front of me, our party wouldn't have been in the same caterpillar as the 1 anyway, so I'm no further back than I was.

At least that's how I think of it in my mind most times. I don't really care even if it's quite a few people joining, I'm getting on either way!

I had some people giving me grief at rope drop for Hagrid's at Universal Orlando. My husband and son are taller than me and can walk faster. This couple came running up behind me, sort of cut me off, and then got into the line between us. At this time of day, the line is continuously moving. They slowed down, but the rest of the line, including my family, kept moving further away. We still had to go to the lockers, and I didn't want us getting separated. I asked nicely if I could get by to meet my family, right in front of them, and even described what they were wearing. They said I was breaking the rules by line cutting. I said that I wouldn't have to line cut if they hadn't broken the rules, ran through the park, and cut me off. I slipped by them, since they wouldn't move over much. I don't normally line cut and have held people, especially large groups of teens, accountabile. But I thought this was so hypocritical. I have no problem with kids going to the bathroom, especially after they have entered the line. If it's one person moving up, I don't care much either. I disagree with going under/over chains, ropes, or barricades. It can result in injury, not only for the person doing it, but for people nearby.

Just as a reality check, the couple of rude people who cut in front of you in the standby line is nothing compared to the mass of humanity cutting in front of you using the G+/ILL line. I have a problem with both, but as long as Disney gets their $$ I guess one is ok and the other is not?

Just as a reality check, the couple of rude people who cut in front of you in the standby line is nothing compared to the mass of humanity cutting in front of you using the G+/ILL line. I have a problem with both, but as long as Disney gets their $$ I guess one is ok and the other is not?

I can see your point of view on this but I don't agree.

One is a system in place that anyone can participate in (as long as they are willing to pay the cost) and the other is breaking the rules that are set in place. It would be like saying you are equally annoyed with someone paying to get an earlier boarding group on a Southwest flight and someone lying their way into an earlier boarding group.

It's interesting how some of the examples are of people jumping from standby to LL lines. I thought the purpose of the 2 tap points was to prevent jumping like that. I wonder what happens if the jumpers get to a second tap point and A) haven't tapped into the first tap point; or B) don't have a valid LL. I assume B is easy - thank you, here's the exit to the standby line.... Not sure I've read much about scenario A....

It's interesting how some of the examples are of people jumping from standby to LL lines. I thought the purpose of the 2 tap points was to prevent jumping like that. I wonder what happens if the jumpers get to a second tap point and A) haven't tapped into the first tap point; or B) don't have a valid LL. I assume B is easy - thank you, here's the exit to the standby line.... Not sure I've read much about scenario A....
I've been trying to remember but for the life of me I can't recall any second tap point at DLR. The only one might be when the lines merge at the end with the help from a CM but they don't check if you have a LL at all. Not that I can remember anyways.

I've been trying to remember but for the life of me I can't recall any second tap point at DLR. The only one might be when the lines merge at the end with the help from a CM but they don't check if you have a LL at all. Not that I can remember anyways.
Now that you mention it, that might be more of a WDW thing. And even there, it's not consistent. I think you're right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter