Other than essential items, what are you stocking up on for Fall/Winter?

I have used the Buckeye Beans & Herbs brand of soup mix. Our favourite one that we have tried has been the Chicken 'n Thyme soup mix. They are good, but they make a LOT (like 12 servings!), so we usually end up freezing some. I have found packages of it at places like Marshall's and TJ Maxx in their food section for less than online.

I don't know if you have a Trader Joe's near you, but they have been advertising their pumpkin puree in the Fearless Flyer that just came out. It might be an option for tracking down some.
Thank you! Will look for these. We love soups/stews/chili’s.

Thanks! They have a split pea soup I am now eyeing. And I have a TJ Maxx right in between my health food store and Whole Foods. So, I'll have to add that on as a pit stop. :thumbsup2 And thanks for the warning/tip on how many servings they make.

If they don't have any the first time you go, keep checking back. In the past, different varieties have been at our store fairly consistently, but as with all things TJ Maxx, they come and go with the wind. I specifically watch for them there, as they are only a few dollars and I have seen them priced much higher other places.

I have used the Buckeye Beans & Herbs brand of soup mix. Our favourite one that we have tried has been the Chicken 'n Thyme soup mix. They are good, but they make a LOT (like 12 servings!), so we usually end up freezing some. I have found packages of it at places like Marshall's and TJ Maxx in their food section for less than online.
If they don't have any the first time you go, keep checking back. In the past, different varieties have been at our store fairly consistently, but as with all things TJ Maxx, they come and go with the wind. I specifically watch for them there, as they are only a few dollars and I have seen them priced much higher other places.

SCORE! I found the soup mix at TJ Maxx. No Chicken 'n Thyme soup mix, but I got a few of the other flavors. And they were only $2.99! So much cheaper than on their website ($5) or on Amazon ($8.99.) :woohoo:Now to figure out which is my favorite and go back for more.

IMG_20201003_180303707_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

I treated myself to a new small stock pot. :cloud9: I had killed my last one. It had a non-stick coating that died and looked rather lethal. :scared:

Thanks again for telling me that one box makes about 12 servings. It really doesn't look like it would plump up so much after cooking. :eek: One box should just fit in this stock pot.

IMG_20201003_182056652.jpg

So how weird is this? Went to CVS to pick up some meds today and needed to grab some Ibuprofen. They only had 4 things of Ibuprofen! One was Motrin and 3 were CVS’ brand. Plenty of Tylenol and Acetaminophen though.

I am guessing this is not a shortage but possibly a delivery issue? Found it very strange that this is what they would be out.

So how weird is this? Went to CVS to pick up some meds today and needed to grab some Ibuprofen. They only had 4 things of Ibuprofen! One was Motrin and 3 were CVS’ brand. Plenty of Tylenol and Acetaminophen though.

I am guessing this is not a shortage but possibly a delivery issue? Found it very strange that this is what they would be out.

I believe early in the pandemic they said to have ibuprofen instead of acetaminophen on hand. Sorry, I was too lazy to look it up and confirm :D
ETA: someone posted link below that I have it backwards so disregard!

We bought a large pack of the new citrus Liquid IV hydration drink mix packs. They are for hydration and immunity (vitamin C, zinc, etc). My husband needs the hydration due to his line of work and given the cold/flu/COVID/fill in the blank with any other crud season upon us figured it wouldn't hurt!

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe early in the pandemic they said to have ibuprofen instead of acetaminophen on hand. Sorry, I was too lazy to look it up and confirm :D

Actually it was the opposite: don't use ibuprofen but use acetaminophen. Anyway, it's not been proven. Here's a link to it: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7287029/

I have found, throughout the entire pandemic that ibuprofen stocks have been lacking in various stores. I mainly like to use store brand ibuprofen liquid caplets that are modeled after Motrin vs. Advil (the inactive ingredients are different). Very hard to find, but some of it is making its way back in stores. Costco seemed to be fully stocked on ibuprofen in tablet form, all brands.

A few months ago over a period of weeks, I seem to hit stores or amazon at the right time and got clorox wipes for us, sister, son, someone at church. And then I stopped looking.

The other night church member mentioned can't find them. I look at homedepot - out...walmart - out..amazon $40 -50 for a three pack. This morning about 6 am, I looked at amazon....3 pack - $12. I ordered 3 units. I then tried to order some to sent to sister...Nope.. You ordered your allotment. A few months ago, I was able to order some for me and then have some shipped to different people. Not today.

Sorry, I thought I was posting in the other fall supply thread

Last edited:
I treated myself to a new small stock pot. :cloud9: I had killed my last one. It had a non-stick coating that died and looked rather lethal. :scared:

Thanks again for telling me that one box makes about 12 servings. It really doesn't look like it would plump up so much after cooking. :eek: One box should just fit in this stock pot.

IMG_20201003_182056652.jpg

TJ Maxx finally had the Chicken 'n Thyme soup mix. I made it last night. I really like it. I now have the leftover in my freezer.

I did add some sugar along with the spice packet, (after tasting, of course.) It mellowed out the flavors and gave it more balance, IMO. Something I learned when I started cooking, to balance the four flavors: sweet, salty, sour & bitter. Even savory dishes can use a little sugar added.

I also love my new stock pot. I got one large enough that I no longer have to worry about the pot boiling over before I get to turn it down to a simmer. :cloud9:

I did add some sugar along with the spice packet, (after tasting, of course.) It mellowed out the flavors and gave it more balance, IMO. Something I learned when I started cooking, to balance the four flavors: sweet, salty, sour & bitter. Even savory dishes can use a little sugar added.

I do this with certain foods as well. When I grill chicken breasts, I toss them with some olive oil, salt, pepper, seasoning mix, and...a bit of sugar. As you say, it helps balance the flavours and promotes browning in this instance. I have used honey as well. I often use a bit of sugar in my tomato pasta sauce as well. I will have to try it in the soup the next time I make it. Thanks for the tip.

I did add some sugar along with the spice packet, (after tasting, of course.) It mellowed out the flavors and gave it more balance, IMO. Something I learned when I started cooking, to balance the four flavors: sweet, salty, sour & bitter. Even savory dishes can use a little sugar added...
I do this with certain foods as well. When I grill chicken breasts, I toss them with some olive oil, salt, pepper, seasoning mix, and...a bit of sugar. As you say, it helps balance the flavours and promotes browning in this instance. I have used honey as well. I often use a bit of sugar in my tomato pasta sauce as well. I will have to try it in the soup the next time I make it. Thanks for the tip.
This tip can also help when the food in a restaurant is a bit too salty. Adding a pinch or two of sugar can help balance out the flavors and make the food taste better.

Nothing out of the ordinary because... it's coming into winter time. It's cold, snow, miserable, and will do the same winter things as always. Work, clear the driveway, watch movies, and now I have a new flight sim for this winter, which getting along with the new gaming PC has nothing to do with Covid or winter.

I made a Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Chowder for supper tonight. I kept tasting it and felt like it wasn't quite right. I remembered your tip, tossed in a bit of sugar, and it was perfect! The sugar just seemed to smooth out the other flavours. I felt like a cooking wizard! pixiedust: The soup recipe was really good, for anyone who is looking to try something new. I did find that it took longer for my potatoes to cook, and I definitely added extra salt and pepper (plus the sprinkle of sugar), but otherwise, it got good reviews from the family and is going to be hitting our rotation occasionally.

Incidentally, Rosemary Pepper Drop Biscuits go great with it.

:goodvibes My DH loves corny jokes and he must have seen this somewhere earlier in the week; I've heard him tell it to several people.

As to stocking up, I guess it depends on how you're defining essentials. There was a very real possibility that our province was going to announce the suspension of all non-essential retail. That would mean nothing but food, cleaning products and medicine/health-related things could be sold, even in stores like WalMart, Costco and large drugstores.

I made a few trips last week to accumulate extras of my routine cosmetic products; foundation, mascara, hairspray and nail polish remover. I know these things can be ordered on-line but I've not had much luck with that and I would hate to be without these things that are "essential" to me.

I kept tasting it and felt like it wasn't quite right. I remembered your tip, tossed in a bit of sugar, and it was perfect! The sugar just seemed to smooth out the other flavours. I felt like a cooking wizard! pixiedust:

I just saw a tip by America's Test Kitchen to make a dry brine for turkeys by mixing 4 Tbs kosher salt + 4 tsp sugar, instead of just using straight salt. Lift up the skin to create a pocket and rub the brine mixture on the bird.

Sugar in recipes is used more than one thinks. If one is making homemade wonton soup and the soup just doesn't quite taste right, it's probably missing a bit of sugar that the Chinese restaurants use. Same for many of their sauces.

A lot of people say they can't quite make something the way their grandma made. She just added something that just made her recipes special that doesn't seem to be able to be duplicated. Now, I wonder if it isn't a bit of sugar? :idea: Maybe, over the years as recipes got handed down, that was the ingredient left off of written recipes as people look at the recipes for savory dishes, and they often think the sugar is a mistake? So, they leave out the sugar and off the written recipe, and those are the ones that get passed down now. :scratchin

I just saw a tip by America's Test Kitchen to make a dry brine for turkeys by mixing 4 Tbs kosher salt + 4 tsp sugar, instead of just using straight salt. Lift up the skin to create a pocket and rub the brine mixture on the bird.

This is sort of how I came up with the idea to add a sprinkle of sugar to my chicken breasts before grilling. I used to use the ATK brining recipe for the sugar/salt brine in water, but it was such a hassle, that I just quit doing it, despite the fact that we all really liked how the chicken tasted when it was grilled that way. One day, as I was oiling and seasoning our chicken for the grill, I decided to just add the sugar directly, not as part of the brine, and they turned out great. I have been adding sugar to my grilled chicken for a couple of years now.

I've gotta say though, my mind never took the stretch of adding sugar to savoury soups though. That is going to be a game changer!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter