Palo/Remy

Aquamom

Earning My Ears
So haven't cruised in 5 years and seems that the cost for eating at Remy is more than I remember. Is it worth it? Trying to make decisions would love advice.

No personal experience myself, but I can tell you that my wife and I asked the same question to our tablemates on our cruise last week and they both immediately said "no". Then followed with that they were glad to have the experience but would not do it again. They seemed like pretty casual sort of people to me.

So haven't cruised in 5 years and seems that the cost for eating at Remy is more than I remember. Is it worth it? Trying to make decisions would love advice.
If you're a "foodie" who is genuinely interested in different culinary experiences, Remy is likely worth it. If you just want a good meal in an attractive setting, Remy likely isn't worth it.

I'm in the latter category, and much prefer Palo. It's elegant and the food is good, without the gourmet pretensions of Remy. But if you want gourmet, go to Remy.

Wet we tried it once and are glad we did but I don't think we would do it again. We are trying Palo dinner on our cruise next month.

If you're a "foodie" who is genuinely interested in different culinary experiences, Remy is likely worth it. If you just want a good meal in an attractive setting, Remy likely isn't worth it.

I'm in the latter category, and much prefer Palo. It's elegant and the food is good, without the gourmet pretensions of Remy. But if you want gourmet, go to Remy.

I'm in the former category, but could not justify pulling the trigger at that price point myself. Not when Victoria and Alberts is roughly the same cost, without already covering the cost of a normal meal like I would be on a cruise ship.

And, I also feel that Palo is worth every penny of the upcharge.

Last edited:
I’m a foodie. Given the chance, I would totally do Remy again. The closest experience I’ve had would be French Laundry in Napa Valley. At some $300 per person, that was a glad I tried it don’t need to do it again experience. Remy I figure I’m missing a $50 meal in the MDR plus the $95, still worth it to me.

I enjoy this kind of dining experience once in a blue moon - food so beautiful I almost don’t want to eat it (almost!) and flavors that surprise me. :)

I haven't done Remy - I'm gluten free and I don't eat fish or weird birds, so it seems kind of pointless - but... Pretty much EVERYTHING is more than it was 5 years ago...

Personally, never been to Remy and never plan to go. A little too sophisticated for us and just not our style!

On the other hand, always dine at Palo each cruise and plan to continue to do so in the future. More down to earth for us.

Whichever you choose, enjoy!

I'm in the former category, but could not justify pulling the trigger at that price point myself. Not when Victoria and Alberts is roughly the same cost, without already covering the cost of a normal meal like I would be on a cruise ship.

And, I also feel that Palo is worth every penny of the upcharge.
Victoria and Alberts is 185.00 per person plus tax for their prefix menu so I am not understanding your comment that it is “roughly the same cost??”

If you like perfectly prepared high end food with the option of wonderful wine pairings served in an elegant setting, then you won’t be disappointed. Plus it is the only place on the boat where everyone is so nicely dressed. Yes, Palo has a dress code by I find that many try to do the minimum to dine there.

You can have a great meal at either place but we definitely enjoy both.

We have been to both Palo and Remy. Tried Palo dinner in 2015 on the Alaskan cruise with beautiful scenery and Remy in 2017 on the Western Caribbean cruise (both brunch and dinner). We did Palo brunch on both cruises. We really love and enjoy Palo brunch. We will try to get a Palo brunch whenever we sail (we did it twice on the Wonder). However, if I have to pay an up charge for a dinner, to us, Remy justifies the extra cost and not Palo. If we sail on the Dream or Fantasy again, we would have dinner at Remy and brunch at Palo.

Victoria and Alberts is 185.00 per person plus tax for their prefix menu so I am not understanding your comment that it is “roughly the same cost??”

They're now asking $100 per person upcharge for Remy. This is on top of the extraordinarily high per day cost of cruising, of which probably $60 per person (That's a very low end estimate) is set aside to account for dining. Unless you do both the main dining room and Remy, you are adding the MDR cost to what you are paying to go to Remy.

For me it would depend on the length of the cruise. We're going on a three night and it is not worth the opportunity cost of missing out on one of the restaurants in the ordinary rotation. But on a longer cruise if there was a lot of repetition in the MDRs, I think it would be fun to try for a change of scene. Many of the add-on cruise activities (spa, port adventures, princess tea) will cost that much or more per person.

For me it would depend on the length of the cruise. We're going on a three night and it is not worth the opportunity cost of missing out on one of the restaurants in the ordinary rotation. But on a longer cruise if there was a lot of repetition in the MDRs, I think it would be fun to try for a change of scene. Many of the add-on cruise activities (spa, port adventures, princess tea) will cost that much or more per person.

That reasoning actually works out for me as well. On a 5 night cruise I was tempted, on a 4 night one I was not. It was not only the length that played a role, but also that you are typically paying less per day on the longer cruises, so your actual cost for the meal would also be lower.

We've done dinner (twice), brunch and dessert experience at Remy and loved it. We also do Victoria & Albert's every time we go to WDW. Is it worth it? For us, definitely. Good food is a very important part of our vacations and we love it. It totally depends on what you like and whether you want to spend the time and money for it. If you're not into that kind of thing it's probably not worth it. If you want to find out if it's something you'd like, then go for it - try it out and see.

Last edited:
My husband and I thought it was well worth it, but food and wine is an important part of vacation for us. We do consider ourselves "foodies" and have eaten at quite a few Michelin star restaurants. You can do very well just ordering the basic menu at Remy, which is not so basic. We splurged on a lot of supplements and wine (in addition to the wine we brought), and that was worth it to us, but not necessary. It is a fun evening and a great adult experience.

We've never tried Remy (just too fancy/expensive for us) but always make sure to do a Palo brunch!

We tried Remy lunch...and Palo Brunch...Definitely recommend Palo brunch over Remy!

We are foodies and also have years in the restaurant industry, but unfortunately had a horrible experience at Remy which makes me unable to recommend it to anyone. Our server was on the newer side and basically put in a sink/swim situation. It made for a very uncomfortable situation as we observed his colleagues belittle him. The timing was off on everything (not totally our server's fault- we also added the wine pairings and our Somm for the evening was not really on it with our wines as he should have been). The food was beautifully presented, but wasn't over the top in our opinions. For the amount of money we spent (close to $700 with wine pairings and tip- despite our server not quite being up to par, we still know the importance of tipping) we both felt extremely disappointed and would have much rather enjoyed a meal at our favorite restaurant back at home. After leaving and really feeling upset by the whole situation we did request to speak with the manager who adjusted our bill somewhat.

We thoroughly enjoyed Palo brunch and I'd highly recommend that. I think we'll do Palo brunch and dinner next cruise, but will likely never return to Remy!

We've done both Palo & Remy many times. Remy is the best dining experience I've had in many years. The food is amazing and the environment conducive to the gourmet dining experience. My wife and I love good food and enjoy dressing for dinner (Tux/Gown for us). Palo is just as amazing, but in a different 'weight class' if you get the boxing reference. While Remy is an experience, Palo is more intimate and in line with an excellent restaurant.

I believe (may be wrong) that Remy is a 3 star Michelin restaurant (or maybe the chefs are rated as such?). Palo is excellent food as well, but not in the 7 (?) course that you get in Remy. On our forthcoming 3 Day on Dream, DW and I are only doing Palo, as we consider the 3 day to be a 'weekend getaway' and Palo fits in that for us great.

I don't prefer one over the other, they're both amazing for different reasons.

Enjoy your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter