Poll.......Anybody getting the spam 'Congratulations, you won.....!' popups??

Are you getting these 'Congratulations, you won whatever' popups?

• Yes, but just on this site and on any device

Votes: 106 21.4%
  • Yes, on this and other sites and on any device

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Yes, but just on this site and only on cell phone/tablets

Votes: 314 63.3%
  • Yes, on this and other sites but only on cell phone/tablets

Votes: 38 7.7%
  • No, not getting these popups on this site or any other sites

Votes: 31 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I posted about this earlier today- didn’t see this poll.

It’s ONLY on this site, using my iPad or iPhone, and usually on chrome. It doesn’t happen on DuckDuckGo, but I rarely remember to use that other browser so I’m most likely going to avoid this forum now.

I just tried blocking JavaScript in my chrome settings. I hope it works. The pop ups have been so bad I can't access the site at all on my phone or tablet anymore.

On Android, I switched to Opera browser and haven't had any issues since

How does that help if you're away from your network?
I never am. My mobile devices all connect to the internet through my home computer network via VPN. For me, this required buying a router that specifically provided VPN server built in but it can be done through software on home computer as well and probably managed through a subscription service. I mean, that's sort of an extreme step just to be rid of annoying ads while on-the go. I wouldn't have set up a VPN just for that reason.

Seems like it would be easier for it to be corrected here on this board.
I never am. My mobile devices all connect to the internet through my home computer network via VPN. For me, this required buying a router that specifically provided VPN server built in but it can be done through software on home computer as well and probably managed through a subscription service. I mean, that's sort of an extreme step just to be rid of annoying ads while on-the go. I wouldn't have set up a VPN just for that reason.

I can't even post reply correctly, or edit correct, since Java is off, trying to deal with it.

Seems like it would be easier for it to be corrected here on this board.
It does seem like with enough complaints pointing out the issue someone would remove the code that calls that ad, but done at the board level this means turning off all ads from that revenue source.

The PiHole, on the other hand kills a the most intrusive of ads from everywhere and it doesn't trigger the ad-blocker test most websites use now. Because it sinks so many calls for content that would have otherwise loaded along with the web page, web pages load quite a bit faster. Looking at my statistics page, about 20% of the calls for content on my network are inline ads that we neither need nor want. Better to leave them where they are and save my connection the bandwidth it takes to put them up on my screen.

These pop ups are scams, not typical ads. There should be no amount of money that justifies their existence.
They are. But the ads on most websites are "provided" by a monetization service that lets websites make a bit of money off the traffic through their site. The scam and intrusive ads are usually 'packaged' to look like a legitimate ad to the computers that serve them out to the various websites. There's usually an algorithm that gets smarter at preventing things like that from getting through as more and more complaints get registered. And eventually a website using this ad revenue service will get fed up and turn them off.

For as long as this particular intrusive ad has been plaguing DisBoards, I'm surprised they haven't commented out the code that lets these ads in.

So now, in addition to setting up a Rasperry Pi w/PiHole, people would need to set up a VPN for their home network? A lot easier to turn off Java on a mobile device.

So now, in addition to setting up a Rasperry Pi w/PiHole, people would need to set up a VPN for their home network? A lot easier to turn off Java on a mobile device.
You don't need to set up a VPN, though it's a great idea in general, if you don't mind dealing with the ad when away from home. If disabling java kills this particular ad then that works too, but a lot of benign content also requires java and there are a lot of intrusive ads that are not using java and most of it is served from dynamic addresses that can't be blacklisted effectively.

Also, just turning off java does not stop the browser from loading the content of the ad. Sometimes that ad content is a substantial amount of data and slows the loading of the web content you actually want to see.

You don't need to set up a VPN, though it's a great idea in general, if you don't mind dealing with the ad when away from home. If disabling java kills this particular ad then that works too, but a lot of benign content also requires java and there are a lot of intrusive ads that are not using java and most of it is served from dynamic addresses that can't be blacklisted effectively.

Also, just turning off java does not stop the browser from loading the content of the ad. Sometimes that ad content is a substantial amount of data and slows the loading of the web content you actually want to see.
Speaking for me personally, I pretty much only check Dis on a mobile device when I'm away from my home. If I'm home, I use my PC (MUCH easier to type on).

As far as my experience, once I turned off Java on my mobile devices, I have gotten ZERO of the "you have won" website redirects. Yes, occasionally I'll go to a website that requires java. A few clicks and I add that website as an exception.

I get that you're very knowledgeable when it comes to computers. But you need to know your audience.

Speaking for me personally, I pretty much only check Dis on a mobile device when I'm away from my home. If I'm home, I use my PC (MUCH easier to type on).
I get that you're very knowledgeable when it comes to computers. But you need to know your audience.
Well yes, setting up a DNS trap isn't going to help people who pretty much only check Dis or get intrusive ads on a mobile device when away from home. For the rest of us it's a real godsend.

As I said, it's not for everyone. You have to buy the little $5 computer and there's about 10 minutes of work setting that up. Then you have to spend another 10 minutes or so following the instructions to set up the PiHole program on it. And doing all that only protects you from ads when using the internet on every device in your home.

It does seem like with enough complaints pointing out the issue someone would remove the code that calls that ad, but done at the board level this means turning off all ads from that revenue source.
For as long as this particular intrusive ad has been plaguing DisBoards, I'm surprised they haven't commented out the code that lets these ads in.
With money generated with this popup, they will not address this problem.

Yes! It used to happen all the time and for some reason, it stopped. Now it’s happening A LOT. So, honestly, during this busy time of year, if I have a few minutes to relax , if I try to get on the Dis and it happens, I just close down and do something else. I don’t try to get back on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter