Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Moreover, if the flight they changed us to now shows unavailable should I be worried????

I wouldn’t worry yet. This happened to us and I think they made it unavailable so people wouldn’t book the flight while they were moving things around. Eventually ours became available at a high fare then wanna get away fares showed up later with a lot of availability.

Well I got our RDU to FLL fixed. Had to add a day to our trip. And then… they just changed our FLL to MCO flight!!! Luckily it’s nonstop but there goes our evening at Universal because we now arrive 3 hours later!! Ugh! At least we will have 2 full days at the parks. Of course until they change our MCO to RDU flight!!! So hoping they don’t!!

Ok so I booked my return flight during the SWA birthday celebration at 50% off paying $52 for my flight than after the sale ended I realized that I had made a mistake and preferred an earlier flight so I paid another $60 to change my flight.
Boom!!! I just received an email from SWA that they changed my flight to the later flight I originally booked! I just can’t win. I had a similar situation with my flight in April...if I had just left the flights I booked originally and waited I would have be able to change at no charge.
I wonder how long this business of canceling/changing flights is going to last.
It seems like we should just book cheapest flights and wait to change at no charge.....but I guess that’s when they will stop all this business.

They just changed our third and final flight back home. Leaves 8 hours earlier. I might just can this trip at this point. All my times are worse now. Only problem is I don’t know when to rebook because they will just change it all again!!

Southwest has changed its banner message for flights eligible for change, as well as the format for making no-change-in-fare changes.

Your trip has been modified
Due to a disruption or schedule change on your original itinerary, your flight information has been modified. If you’ve checked bags on your original flight, we’ll make every effort to reroute your luggage to your destination.
  • You can either check in 24 hours before your flight or make a one-time free of charge change to your itinerary.
  • Dates that are not available for selection represent travel dates that are not eligible for this type of change.

Unlike before, the changes are strictly limited to a 14 day window, either way; it is no longer 30 days. Also, be aware that this is a one-time change, unlike previously. They are closing up loopholes that allowed customers to take advantage of the situation, for personal benefit.

Last edited:
Southwest has changed its banner message for flights eligible for change, as well as the format for making no-change-in-fare changes.

Unlike before, the changes are strictly limited to a 14 day window, either way; it is no longer 30 days. Also, be aware that this is a one-time change, unlike previously. They sre closing up loopholes that allowed customers to take advantage of the situation, for personal benefit.

I’m not surprised I’m sure at this point some people are just buying cheapest tickets assuming they will be able to change their flights later...personally I’d prefer to buy the tickets I want and be able to hang on to them! Also I haven’t seen any banner I’ve just gotten an email.
Not sure what they mean by “we’ll make every effort to reroute your luggage to your destination”
Sounds like some people will be missing luggage...

Not sure what they bean by “we’ll make every effort to reroute your luggage to your destination”
Sounds like some people will be missing luggage...
It appears that some changes could be occurring on the day of travel, after customers already have checked bags for the original flight. I believe that bags can be checked as early as four hours before scheduled departure.

It appears that some changes could be occurring on the day of travel, after customers already have checked bags for the original flight. I believe that bags can be checked as early as four hours before scheduled departure.

Yes, I assumed something like this but I don’t care for their wording...there is an implication...hopeful their “best efforts” result in one receiving their luggage! Their technology should let them know exactly where luggage is at anytime provided it’s been scanned correctly. Years ago I had US air flight from Birmingham AL to BWI luckily it was my return flight as my suitcase ended up in Frankfort, Germany and it was weeks before it was returned.

so hopefully not a naïve question but here it goes anyway. Our flights for Aug 14 were already changed once so we selected earlier flights each way. (PHL to MCO) and same for our friends flying PIT to MCO How do you know when you are relatively safe from another change?, if we are less than 30 days out is it safe to assume no more schedule changes (barring any delays the day of travel of course).

So sorry to see so many folks impacted by changes to booked flights today!

so hopefully not a naïve question but here it goes anyway. Our flights for Aug 14 were already changed once so we selected earlier flights each way. (PHL to MCO) and same for our friends flying PIT to MCO How do you know when you are relatively safe from another change?, if we are less than 30 days out is it safe to assume no more schedule changes (barring any delays the day of travel of course).

You don’t 🤨 never safe from possible change it could happen even after you arrive at airport.

I check my flights multiple times a day every day. I have not had a flight change less than 2-3 weeks out but it can happen. I am really hoping they leave my September flights alone now. They have messed them up enough!

When we traveled in January, I had a companion pass. They did NOT move my husband down to match my number. He and my kids had A group and I had low B. So it either doesn't happen all the time or it's changed since January.
It's changed since January. January or February they started testing a couple different methods to ensure that CP holders were with their companion. Now it has started rolling out to more.
Moreover, if the flight they changed us to now shows unavailable should I be worried????
Not at the moment. If you check back on Thursday and it still says unavailable, then I would expect a jam packed flight, or yours is getting cancelled.

Got a change email for my departure flight - is it still three days from the day the banner appears to make a change? Would like to see if my return flight is also being changed to determine how and if I might need to make a change.

Got a change email for my departure flight - is it still three days from the day the banner appears to make a change? Would like to see if my return flight is also being changed to determine how and if I might need to make a change.
Southwest has not announced a change from the three day period to accept or make a change. You might consider looking at the current Southwest schedule to see if your return flight is still listed, while waiting for any possible email advising of a change.

BTW, I do not like the new format of flight listings, which defaults to listing the flights by duration, instead of by time of departure.

I check my flights multiple times a day every day. I have not had a flight change less than 2-3 weeks out but it can happen. I am really hoping they leave my September flights alone now. They have messed them up enough!
I do the same thing, regardless of the airline because I don't always get an email. Over the past year, most airlines changed ours at least 2-4 weeks out.

Now I don't trust that anymore since in June, AA canceled our flight after boarding passes were issued! No other flights that day to MCO - they scattered our party of 5 all over the place, with different arrival and departure airports, some of us flying same day, others the next day. Nonstops were changed to connecting flights. We ended up requesting refunds and rented a one-way car to Orlando and drove the 13 hours.

SW tonight changed our mid-Sept flight, which I kind of expected. My Chicago SW for next week is still intact, I got the banner early on when I booked last month, but my flight was still available so kept it, and it never changed.

Hope your flights stay intact at this point!

Southwest has not announced a change from the three day period to accept or make a change. You might consider looking at the current Southwest schedule to see if your return flight is still listed, while waiting for any possible email advising of a change.

BTW, I do not like the new format of flight listings, which defaults to listing the flights by duration, instead of by time of departure.
Thanks, it’s a moot point now... just got the email for the return flight.

When I called to change my flight on the first leg the rep sounded as thought I could make the change at any time but it was specifically a one time change

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter