Scared of the heat

Water, water, water. Cooling towels, and being able to admit to yourself that you need a break. Take one! Head back to the resort, nap, swim, shower, nap a little more. Make sure you do eat something, nothing super heavy, but hot and hungry quickly becomes hangry. We have misting fans that we bought there a few years ago that we take with us every time and just refill at water fountains. Those help a lot. Lots of folks have mentioned the free water in the restaurants. We typically go in June, so while it isn't the dog days of summer yet, it is still 90s and humid. Just be prepared for it and know that there are lots of avenues to get out of the heat. Enjoy your Birthday!!

-Alexis

I also don't tolerate heat well and we went last August. I was so worried, but it actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Yes, it was hot, but it was manageable. Here's what we did that helped:
Get out early! This was key. Then we went back to the resort from after lunch until about 4 before heading to the parks for the evening.
Get Hydro Flasks! You can get them on Amazon. Fill it with ice and water at the resort in the morning and it will literally stay cold all day! You can get free cups of ice water at any quick service, so keep refilling it throughout the day.
Get mini fans. I know it may sound dumb, but it helped... a lot. I didn't like the misting type, but some do. We used ours when waiting in line for rides.
Plan on going to shows during the hottest times you'll be in the parks. We left for the early afternoons, so went to shows when it stated getting hot late morning and early evening when we got back to the parks.

I worried also, but it was fine. Just be prepared and have a plan. One of the days we were there it was 101! We were at animal kingdom that day and took frequent "breaks" by going into the shops to cool off. We had a great time and I'd totally do it again!
I had a similar experience. Our summers have been brutal here in South Jersey, and I don't tolerate them with not having a thyroid (so my body doesn't regulate heat well). But it honestly wasn't as bad as I thought either. I made sure that I remained well hydrated, bought myself a personal fan to wear around my neck, and had one of those cooling towels on hand, just in case. The crowd levels were great, and so I'd definitely go back again end of August despite the heat, as well.

We went in June one year and it was almost unbearable in the sun, but in the shade it honestly wasn't too bad (I'm from SE TX). I would definitely get some good cooling towels, good fans, and bring a good, nice umbrella. Everyone else's advice to take breaks and do indoor activities in the afternoon is great.

I go to Disney in July. You are rarely in direct sunlight for more than a few minutes. There is a lot of shade and air conditioning. Being from NY can you handle Manhattan in the summer? Disney is not nearly as bad.

I can relate. We went in Sept, and I'm from MN and very prone to heat stroke. As an alternative to the cooling towels (which I didn't like): we took washcloths in a ziploc bag. Grab some of the free ice water from a counter service (the water fountains weren't cold enough), drink some of the water, and then dip the washcloths in the cold water and rub on your face and neck. This seemed to help me the most (wiped off the sweat, cooled me down). We did this a few times a day and it really helped. Plan for air conditioned shows in the afternoon, but also plan for air conditioned breaks throughout the morning. It also shaped some of the food choices we made. I know many people love Flametree, but the seating is outdoors. We ate at Restaruantasaurus instead (air conditioned). I'm sure the food is a lot better at Flametree, but the air conditioning was a big help. I absolutely agree with the advice others gave too.

AK is always the hottest park for us and I try to adjust the schedule after checking weather.com for Disney World right before the trip.

Speaking of Fall suggestion, last Food & Wine at the end of September at Epcot by the countries was absolutely brutal. And I LOVE the heat.... coming from freezing Midwest. Walking quickly to get to a Via reservation almost did me in and that's so not me normally.

We too are August travelers. It is HOT but absolutely possible to enjoy yourselves. I absolutely concur with those above saying hit the parks early, leave around 11. Head back to your hotel for lunch and a long break. go to the pool, take a nap. head back out after 4-5, grab an early dinner.
My husband is diabetic and very sensitive to the heat. Going back to the hotel gives him the opportunity to relax in the cool during the hottest part of the day. Bonus eating early lunch and early dinner means more options for those hard to get reservations! not as many people want the 5:30 dinner reservation. We usually grab a snack later in the evening.

Before your trip, go to the sporting goods store and pick up cooling towels. they are usually large enough to cut in half. We brought one for each person. wet them in water, wring them out and place around your neck. It helps immensely! when they don't feel cool anymore you can rewet them. When you are done just roll them up and place them in a ziplock. rinse them very well when you get back to your hotel.

Drink LOTS and LOTS of water. Way more than you are probably used to. If you aren't each drinking at LEAST a bottle an hour, you probably aren't drinking enough. hydration packets can help make it easier to drink, especially if you aren't a fan of plain water. All counter service restaurants serve free cups of ice water, all you have to do is ask. Don't be shy!

Flowy, cotton clothes help. EVERYONE should wear a hat. It makes all the difference.

Luckily there are plenty of places you can go to cool down while not feeling like you are missing out. Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, Haunted Mansion, Festival of the Lion King, Its Good To Be A Bug, Soarin, Living with the Land, The Great Movie Ride. ect.

Most importantly. LISTEN to your body. If you feel fatigued or nauseous, get in a cool place immediately. Let a cast member know you aren't feeling well. Don't push yourself further than your body can handle. It's not worth it!!!

Cooling towels worked great! Also, I kept bottles of Gatorade and water in the freezer, and each member of the family brought 2-3 in their backpack! As they melt you can refill at QS, but it was great to keep hydrated.

Costco often stocks the cooling towels in twin packs, these are great for helping wrap around your neck. We have a really awesome 'mister' that helps keep the kids cool and a cool box for gatorade and frozen water. A little tip i use with my 'athletes' is to freeze their favorite gatorade in ice cube trays and then fill up their water bottle with them and then fill with icy cold water. As they melt they produce more flavor, keeps the fluid nice and cool and the taste promotes greater consumption and thus better hydration.

Biggest tip has already been stated, don't spend all day in the parks, pop in and out and do it in shifts, don't be forced to 'get your moneys worth' at the expense of hurting your family! The amount of heat exhaustion and heat stroke kids I see in the parks is scandalous at times. Don't be afraid of saying 'enough is enough' and go and get some time out. We like to spell a character dining and indoor show to break up the heat and give us time to cool off and rest.

The wet towels the you snap are also helpful, we use them as well. Keep in mind September sun is not as strong as say May or June. It tends to be more overcast in Sept as well but it's the humidity that's the killer in September. Just follow some of the rules of thumb all of the posters mentioned. Try not to overdo your park time and drink a lot of water and be prepared to sweat...:teeth:

We were there is June last year and it was really hot and humid. It gets like that up here in the northeast but usually we have time to acclimate to it since June is just a warm up for the blech that July and August can be. Just jumping right into it that early in the year was a shock for my body - plus I am on medication that makes me prone to overheating. Drink lots of water, stay hydrated, I had to avoid alcohol :-):Cry::) in the heat, try to not eat heavy food, take breaks, if on property- use the pools in the afternoon. Wear sunscreen - but choose one that is breathable. Early on I was using one on my face that didn't allow my skin to breath and it was awful - I felt like my face was cooking. Got a Coppertone facial one and viola I could sweat through it. If you have long hair wear it up. I tried having it down...30 minutes in it was in a top knot lol Use the gift shops as hallways to get from point A to point B. Same with attractions. We must have seen the Country Bear Jamboree about 5 times b/c there was never a line and the a/c was nice and cold!!

You might also try those temporary ice packs you can get at CVS and Walgreens. The ones where they start of room temperature and you break them to make them cold. I have chronic pain and that's what I'm bringing.

I had a similar experience. Our summers have been brutal here in South Jersey, and I don't tolerate them with not having a thyroid (so my body doesn't regulate heat well).

Nice to know there is someone else out there that gets this. I was thinking the same thing in my head as I was reading this. I feel like such a whiner.

Hot OR cold can be tricky. I would love to be able to just deal and will push myself right over the edge trying. In the end, the meds aren't as good as the real deal. I recommend a light shirt for entering the air conditioning - the swing is just too wild during the humid hot months.

Ok, I'm from central New York and I don't tolerate the heat great. But I am bound and determined to turn 50 at the MK. So our trip is booked for Sept 5-Sept 16. Yes I know it's going to be hot, but I can't move my birthday. I need suggestions, strategies, or tips to make this trip more heat tolerable. Thanks.

Kate

As crazy as this sounds - bring a lightweight shirt with sleeves- both as a covering from the sun and most definitely to regulate the air conditioning deep freeze shock.

My sister's birthday is in June, mine is at the end of August, my DH is July 4, and my older daughter's is September 4. I hate the heat too, but we've had a lifetime of summer vacations at WDW and it's not ending soon...

I'm a huge fan of the afternoon break as well. We are up early, go to the parks as early as possible (sometimes with a pre-park-open ADR). Hit a few rides, and then head back to the hotel by 11 or 12 (start heading out at 11 and do a ride on the way out if there's no line). Be back at the hotel from 12-4 for pool, nap, etc. This is usually when there's a big afternoon thunderstorm too. Usually the thunderstorms cool things off and then it's pleasant again when we head out for dinner.

Also - much as I love AK, it's the "hottest" park in the summer because the air conditioned places to take refuge are few and far between. Future world is pretty good, and you can sort of dash from country to country in World Showcase.

And ponchos!

Ok, I'm from central New York and I don't tolerate the heat great. But I am bound and determined to turn 50 at the MK. So our trip is booked for Sept 5-Sept 16. Yes I know it's going to be hot, but I can't move my birthday. I need suggestions, strategies, or tips to make this trip more heat tolerable. Thanks.

Kate

We don't do well in heat at all, but had a great time our last trip to WDW in July heat.

We went to the parks for rope drop. Drank cold water and brought our own shade (hats/umbrella)
Left the parks at lunch time.
Went back to our resort, took a cool shower, and slept for a couple of hours with wonderful air conditioning.
Headed back into the parks in the late afternoon, when the sun wasn't as fierce.
Stayed late in the parks.

The mid day shower and nap were key for us, but I should warn you that you end up using two sets of clothes each day so you'll need to pack more.

Invest in a few wick-away/sunblock outfits. They are quick drying and lightweight, and will lesson your dependency on sunblock. Do not wear cotton, it stays wet. Hats and visors help, and sunglasses too.
You are there for a long time, so plan your days in short bursts, taking breaks and staying cool in pools, restaurants, and indoor attractions.
Plan more park time after dinner.
If you have plans and the heat is intolerable, scrap them!
This only happened to us on our first night last August. It was BRUTAL! But we had BOG dinner reservations and arrived at 2, heading to MK. We quickly did Carousel of Progress, Mickey's Phil, and something else indoors. It was so horrible that waiting 30 min after check in at BOG was almost intolerable ( and this was at 5pm). They herded us to the castle shade, and had icy lemon water for us as we waited. After dinner, around 7, it was perfect. Cooling and much, much better. While we had planned to enjoy other attractions during the afternoon, staying inside made more sense.
Drink a ton. Way more than you think, and don't wait until you are thirsty. Not soda, but water and Powerade.
We avoid wearing backpacks in the heat- it will make your back wet/unable to cool. Fanny packs if you must carry a bag.

Kate
I'm born and raised in Houston, Texas, and I am used to the heat and humidity...for a few minutes at a time. That cool looking black shirt with the neat Mickey character on it? Leave it behind. Also, I thought the drawstring backpacks would be a good idea, but they actually trap a lot of heat on your back. I have to think of an alternative...

I visited last year around the same time period that you're planning to go. It was hot but it wasn't unbearable.

I brought my s'well bottle with me so I had cold water at all times. I brought a hat. One thing that surprised me for keeping cool was folding a bandana to use as a tie around headband to tame my hair. It pulled my hair off my neck and I never felt the need to put my hair up in a pony tail. It was surprisingly comfortable!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter