Spinoff... What touristy things did YOU do this summer

Pea-n-Me

DIS Veteran
I thought it might be fun to see where everyone's been! :beach: :artist: :drinking1

All the better with pics if you have them! (Trying to figure out how to resize some of mine so I can post.)

We wound up in Chicago's O'Hare airport and were walking by a place that was mobbed. Naturally, we went in. :DTurned out to be a Nuts on Clark (gourmet popcorn store). I asked the people next to me what was good to get, and got the same thing they got: a bagful of a mixture of cheddar cheese and caramel popcorn. So good! And something totally new to this family from the Northeast! (At least mixed together!) That was fun! Now I notice, even around here, a lot of different (bagged) brands of "Chicago Style" popcorn. I doubt I would've bought any before.

We also did a boat cruise of Boston Harbor to see the Tall Ships when they were visiting. :sail:

We went to San Francisco (we have lived in CA forever) and did Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, and the Golden Gate bridge.

We went to Disneyland about 10 times.

We went to Newport Beach about 5 times.

It was a staycation type summer for us...no big trips. Luckily we live in a place where people come for vacation so there's lots to do. :)

Drove through Steelville, Missouri more times than I care to count! It's only "touristy" in the sense that Steelville is a popular destination for weekend canoe-trippers. I, however, didn't go canoeing.

I thought it might be fun to see where everyone's been! :beach: :artist: :drinking1

All the better with pics if you have them! (Trying to figure out how to resize some of mine so I can post.)

I went to Nebraska to visit my DD and GS. Made it to their zoo, twice, and ate at some local places.

Went to the beach a couple of times here at home. Big thing, since we haven't been since 2014. DH is supposed to stay out of the sun as much as possible, and I'm just not a strong enough swimmer to feel comfortable taking DS by myself (because he likes to get out past the breakers).

That's pretty much it. It's too hot to do anything else.
We have a 2 day trip to WDW planned for late Sept/early Oct. And a couple of camping trips once it cools down. That's it.

Drove through Steelville, Missouri more times than I care to count! It's only "touristy" in the sense that Steelville is a popular destination for weekend canoe-trippers. I, however, didn't go canoeing.

We just go for the ice cream :)

Probably the only thing that really counts is a visit to the STL Zoo.

I walked the Highline in NYC. We are leaving for our vacation soon and plan to do lots of touristy things in Paris and Berlin.

May/June
  • Savannah, GA: Visited the home of Juliet Gordon Low the founder of Girl Scouts.
  • Charleston, SC: Toured Ft. Moultrie, an American Revolutionary/Civil War fort.
  • Williamsburg, VA [area]: visited Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown Fort, and Yorktown Battlefield
  • Washington, DC [area]: Visited the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in VA. Walked the mall and saw the Washington Monument, Reflection Pond, toured the Smithsonian Natural History Museum and American History Museum. Went tot he beach in Calvert County MD and searched for prehistoric shark teeth.

July
  • St. Louis, MO: spent the night at the City Museum as part of a Cub Scouts field trip. Visited the Science Center.

August
  • Memphis, TN: ran the Elvis Presley 5k this weekend. Start and finish were at the gates of Graceland.
  • Supposed to be going to watch the Memphis Red Birds (AA? baseball team) play this weekend.

- Visited DC and toured the Smithsonian's Natural History Museum. I loved seeing the Hope Diamond.

- Visited the boyhood home of George Washington, the house isn't actually there, but they are building a replica of it next to the excavation site of what they believe to be the foundation of the original house.

- Visited Atlanta, GA to see the World of Coca-Cola. We'll be headed back in a few weeks to visit the aquarium.

- Visited Sliding Rock here in NC. It's a miracle that I didn't freeze my butt off.

- Participated in the Highland Games festival up in Grandfather Mountain.

- Looked in just about every shop on the strip in Myrtle Beach. My favorite was the huge candy shop called I Love Sugar. Three words for you guys: Gummy Bear Chandeliers.

Last edited:
Our big highlight was doing a Rhine River cruise. Some of the touristy things we did:

--Visiting the Red Light District, visited the Anne Frank House and took a canal cruise (not at the same time! :D ) in Amsterdam;
--Visited the Cologne Cathedral;
--Visited Koblenz and toured the town and saw the Deutsches Eck;
--Visited Heidelburg and toured Heidelburg Castle;
--Visited Strasbourg and toured La Petite France;
--Visited the Black Forest and had some "authentic" Black Forest cake.

A great time was had by all.

We went to the birthplace of Midwestern Cheesy-ness, The Wisconsin Dells! We love it there, totally touristy and fun. Though I do have to say, we all we kind of over the shopping, every third store was the same and they all sold the same stuff.

We're on a tight budget now so not really much other than the local tourist thing. Definitely Fishermans Wharf and Golden Gate Park several times. I think I mentioned the double-feature Jelly Belly Factory Tour along with the Anheuser-Busch tour in Fairfield, California. And my kid finally got a junior ranger badge at John Muir National Historic Site. There are quite a few NPS sites around here, so we're thinking that maybe we can get a few more before schools starts.

-We went to Maine and spent time in Ogunquit and Bar Harbor. While in Bar Harbor we visited Acadia National Park.

-We visited Boston and did all the touristy things there - Quincy Market, Boston Commons, Freedom Trail, Old North Church, Bunker Hill, etc. We also caught a Red Sox game at Fenway. They played the Yankees and it was awesome!

-We visited Plimouth Plantation. We loved it!

-We took a few trips to the Philly Zoo (we have a membership).

-We visited Hersheypark more times than I can count. We are season pass holders and only live 5 mins away.

It's been a pretty great summer and I don't want it to end!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter