Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge News - Updated 2/28/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
By having alcohol available, again they are segmenting the guests, as families with children may not want their kids in an alcohol environment

That's probably 5% of families, if that, considering how widely available alcohol already is at the rest of WDW. And really anywhere.

That's probably 5% of families, if that, considering how widely available alcohol already is at the rest of WDW. And really anywhere.

Im talking about Disneyland California. Other than Club 33 Disneyland is alcohol free. California Adventures Park does have alcohol, and it is a noticabbly more adult vibe.

with the height restrictions and the alcohol being available in the restaurant / food area, its obvious to me that Disney has done alot of customer profiling and are targeting Star Wars fan community with this new land.

This new land is not being aimed at the current customer who visits Disneyland. This new land is for the Star Wars fanatics, those who go to Comic Con and Cosplay events, those who go to all the Star Wars conventions, people who have disposable income and will pay the entrance fee to Disneyland just to experience Galaxys Edge. These are the people who would travel from New York for a Star Wars Convention in Anaheim but who would not visit Disneyland.

By having the height restrictions they are segmenting the guests as many families with children under the height range will not go on the rides
By having alcohol available, again they are segmenting the guests, as families with children may not want their kids in an alcohol environment
Umm I'm not a Star Wars fanatic, I don't go to Comic Con and Cosplay events nor conventions, we don't have a crap ton of disposable income, people already pay the fee at Universal to go to only Harry Potter (so we're not talking some ground-breaking concept here that people would pay money to only want a segment), nor would I travel to go to a Star Wars convention.

I absolutely want to experience the new land and I may not even want to ride the rides due to my motion sickness. I'm still excited to just be immersed in the theming just like Harry Potter is despite me not wanting to ride the 2 rides again (rode both once before).

Of course guests may be comprised of what you mentioned but you're way wrong that the new land is aimed at those people and only those people.

guess my concern isn't as much that these specific attractions have a height restriction, more that there then isn't a 3rd attraction or something that everyone can do. I said the same thing about the new Toy Story Land attractions - you build two new rides and both have a height restriction? You can't add a 3rd smaller one that everyone can do?

I know not everyone loves Na'vi River but at least there is something that basically everyone can do (ideally they wouldn't require transfer for that ride) in Pandora

I just don't want Disney to get too far away from the idea of being a place for families to do things together. I know it is unrealistic for every ride to be something that everyone can do, but I also don't think it is ideal when you build two new lands in a park that already doesn't have a lot for kids and none of the new additions are rides that everyone can ride together
Yeah perhaps if an expansion occurs we'll get that. I do agree with you though.

I think though if they were only going to do 2 rides at the moment in Star Wars they wanted the type they made. They would probably have gotten more flack for making it another Pandora where there's only 1 ride that people really clamor for. It would be very nice to have something what I tend to call a slow attraction or something that is tame in the future though.

Umm I'm not a Star Wars fanatic, I don't go to Comic Con and Cosplay events nor conventions, we don't have a crap ton of disposable income, people already pay the fee at Universal to go to only Harry Potter (so we're not talking some ground-breaking concept here that people would pay money to only want a segment), nor would I travel to go to a Star Wars convention.

I absolutely want to experience the new land and I may not even want to ride the rides due to my motion sickness. I'm still excited to just be immersed in the theming just like Harry Potter is despite me not wanting to ride the 2 rides again (rode both once before).

Of course guests may be comprised of what you mentioned but you're way wrong that the new land is aimed at those people and only those people.

I didnt mean ONLY these people,but they would the main people. In marketing there are many customer profiles, there is the main one and then multiple others.
You would be a different type of customer, so now we are up to 2 types.

Another type would be the locals, the AP holders who have been there done that multiple times, so to get their enthusiasm back Disney will have them as a customer profile.

So now we have 3 types of customers, all who have different needs and wants but who are all experiencing Star Wars Galaxy Edge at the same time

I didnt mean ONLY these people,but they would the main people. In marketing there are many customer profiles, there is the main one and then multiple others.
You would be a different type of customer, so now we are up to 2 types.

Another type would be the locals, the AP holders who have been there done that multiple times, so to get their enthusiasm back Disney will have them as a customer profile.

So now we have 3 types of customers, all who have different needs and wants but who are all experiencing Star Wars Galaxy Edge at the same time
You said it's not aimed at the current customer.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty certain the current customer comprises of people who also aren't Star Wars fanatics, they don't go to Comic Con and Cosplay events nor conventions, they don't have a crap ton of disposable income, they are at least some people already willing to pay the fee at Universal to go to only Harry Potter maybe even people who didn't go to Universal Hollywood but now with a Harry Potter part they are willing to now (lord knows people did that at lot when Hogsmeade first opened in Universal Orlando and they didn't have Diagon Alley there to further draw people in), and they aren't the type of people to travel to go to a Star Wars convention and yet they are excited to have a land hailed as full immersion and want to check it out. They'll come even if they haven't seen Star Wars movies or maybe they haven't see the new ones or maybe they've only seen the new ones. People like new things.

Yeah perhaps if an expansion occurs we'll get that. I do agree with you though.

I think though if they were only going to do 2 rides at the moment in Star Wars they wanted the type they made. They would probably have gotten more flack for making it another Pandora where there's only 1 ride that people really clamor for. It would be very nice to have something what I tend to call a slow attraction or something that is tame in the future though.

Maybe it just jumps out at me that they created two new lands and the only ride that has no height restriction is the one ride that was already there

Also I might be overly sensitive to it because I really had a negative reaction to California Adventure with how much if felt like there were rides for older kids and adults and then another section for younger kids - but very few things designed for us to do all together ... and don't want to see DHS become like that

Maybe it just jumps out at me that they created two new lands and the only ride that has no height restriction is the one ride that was already there

Also I might be overly sensitive to it because I really had a negative reaction to California Adventure with how much if felt like there were rides for older kids and adults and then another section for younger kids - but very few things designed for us to do all together ... and don't want to see DHS become like that
I totally get it. DLR gets an edge there because the new land is in a park with with a lot more variety of rides. DHS immediately gets limited because other than the shows there's only 1 ride without a height restriction presently. I haven't kept up and up on the Minnie and Mickey's Railroad info but I guess I could see if it's been rumored if that would have a height restriction or not. Still I totally get you there.

I'm hoping they def. do an expansion to both Star Wars and Toy Story with adding a tame ride without a height restriction. Just as much for your children's sake as much for my sake lol. I'm going to DLR this weekend so I'll get to see if Mater's is a ride I can do (since they cloned it for Alien Swirling Saucers) but I suspect with the spinning aspect I may not be able to. I do think I can personally ride SDD though.

On your earlier comment with your kid's height I totally feel you there. Growing up I was pretty darn small for a long long time.

guess my concern isn't as much that these specific attractions have a height restriction, more that there then isn't a 3rd attraction or something that everyone can do. I said the same thing about the new Toy Story Land attractions - you build two new rides and both have a height restriction? You can't add a 3rd smaller one that everyone can do?

I know not everyone loves Na'vi River but at least there is something that basically everyone can do (ideally they wouldn't require transfer for that ride) in Pandora

I just don't want Disney to get too far away from the idea of being a place for families to do things together. I know it is unrealistic for every ride to be something that everyone can do, but I also don't think it is ideal when you build two new lands in a park that already doesn't have a lot for kids and none of the new additions are rides that everyone can ride together
I think you make an excellent point. My view is that they should build an immersive 'Star Wars' play area, similar to the Boneyard in AK. When they got rid of the Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area - my kids' favourite part of HS! - , I was sure they would add one into Toy Story Land. The fact that they didn't is kind of ridiculous . . . no place to 'play' in Toy Story Land, really?? A play area in Galaxy's Edge would have been a great solution to the lack of rides for that age, and would have eaten up some crowds.

No I totally agree. The majority of their marketing is to families, and they are excluding families from 80% of the new rides.

What do you think is going to happen with dining and reservations? I assume that they won't be open at 180 days?? How do they normally handle that? TSL and Pandora only have QS, so it's been awhile.

What do you think is going to happen with dining and reservations? I assume that they won't be open at 180 days?? How do they normally handle that? TSL and Pandora only have QS, so it's been awhile.

my guess is that it will definitely be within 180 days for when they open it and I think it will be a frenzy to try and book. I suppose they could do that for the first month or whatever no ADRs only walk-up, but I would expect them to take ADRs like normal and just the day they announce they will take them it will be very hard to get through

From what I understand it is just the one part of one restaurant that will be TS and thus require ADRs, there will be a quick service location and then the Cantina that will be attached to the TS location but not require ADRs to enter

No I totally agree. The majority of their marketing is to families, and they are excluding families from 80% of the new rides.

Just want to point out that "families" is not exclusively families of small children. I will avoid hyperbole and not assume the actual % of people who go to disney with children OVER the age of 6, or the % of people with younger kids that are totally fine riding the more thrilling lines, but I'm willing to bet that a fair majority of families who go to the parks are quite able to ride more than 20% of the new rides.

Im talking about Disneyland California. Other than Club 33 Disneyland is alcohol free. California Adventures Park does have alcohol, and it is a noticabbly more adult vibe.

It's alcohol free, but I think very few families would object if that changed. There would not be a noticeable drop in attendance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter