• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Super Sports & More Swap 2012~Slideshow in post #3~Complete!

Make your list and start prepping now for Senior year.. Junior year start looking into colleges and do some visits during breaks and have him start looking into scholarships! We are touring our first campus for DS15 this weekend (I don't want him to go there unless he gets a full ride as it's too close to home and I don't want him to think he is obligated to go close to home). We are taking him on 2 campus tours this summer to other prospects! It'll be okay.. if I can do it.. you can do it!! This year has been a blast with one Senior!!!

Erin, slow deep breaths! Start now with your planning and everything will be great! I agree with Nan about making lists and visiting potential schools during junior year. Enjoy the experience!

Cassey

Oh....I am a list-maker!! DH makes fun of me...but I'd never keep things on track without them! DS actually has about 4-5 colleges picked out. One he is going to wrestling camp at in June (kind of like an audition for the coach). While we are there, we plan to tour. He has been there already, but this will be more in-depth. Then, another clinician at the camp is the head coach from Pitt, so we are having him look at James also. We first need to get wrestling money, then academics money!! He has a 4.0 so hoping we can get that accomplished! Also, after summer wrestling, we have to post videos of his matches on the internet and refer coaches to the site. (They don't really look at dvd's you send and prefer the internet.) I just can't believe we are there already! I'll need to lean on my friends in the box for moral support!

Our kids went back today...they were off since Thursday. Just a short break for the holiday. I can't believe that school is due to get out in less than 2 months! Holy cow did it go fast! My oldest will be a junior in a few months! Ahhhhhh!

I know, we get out May 23rd-then DS15 will be a Junior too!!!:scared1:
Thanks for the advice Nan!

Oh....I am a list-maker!! DH makes fun of me...but I'd never keep things on track without them! DS actually has about 4-5 colleges picked out. One he is going to wrestling camp at in June (kind of like an audition for the coach). While we are there, we plan to tour. He has been there already, but this will be more in-depth. Then, another clinician at the camp is the head coach from Pitt, so we are having him look at James also. We first need to get wrestling money, then academics money!! He has a 4.0 so hoping we can get that accomplished! Also, after summer wrestling, we have to post videos of his matches on the internet and refer coaches to the site. (They don't really look at dvd's you send and prefer the internet.) I just can't believe we are there already! I'll need to lean on my friends in the box for moral support!

Wow Erin-you've done way more than me-I'm just now starting. Brandon has looked into a couple of schools, but there are so many things to consider.....small school, big school, local, or far away?? Shoud we concentrate on scholarships for his sports-baseball and football, or his art (which has just taken off this year)? I would prefer for him to be close to home, of course-somewhere where he can maybe work on some kind of art degree and play sports on ths side....decisions, decisions!!!:confused3 Guess our best bet is where he can get a scholarship...grades are so-so, so we're relying on his sports and artistic ability to help him out.

We are done May 31st w/ graduation on June 1 (friday evening)....

Remember to file your FAFSA forms (you can go look over the site now) to get yourself familiar w/ all the financial info you will need to input... (this is for grants/loans; you submit; school sends you what they can give you)... Scholarships look online (fastweb, collegeboard.com) some can be applied for as Juniors.. Senior year have the kids stalk the counselors office for them.. Our school sends out a weekly updated spreadsheet and the kids go get the application to submit. (We are waiting on 3 for PJ that are decided this month). So, we have at least 3 boys in the class of 2014!!! I'm loving the graduation process so far.. now talk to me the month away when the day gets closer.. I'll be a little more teary!! If you or Anne have any questions let me know or any of the others who have kids off in college...

Wow Erin-you've done way more than me-I'm just now starting. Brandon has looked into a couple of schools, but there are so many things to consider.....small school, big school, local, or far away?? Shoud we concentrate on scholarships for his sports-baseball and football, or his art (which has just taken off this year)? I would prefer for him to be close to home, of course-somewhere where he can maybe work on some kind of art degree and play sports on ths side....decisions, decisions!!!:confused3 Guess our best bet is where he can get a scholarship...grades are so-so, so we're relying on his sports and artistic ability to help him out.

Anne, start a spreadsheet of schools.... mark down all the things you all want to look at the sports, the arts.... and check off what each school offers for him.... Then he can look and talk to each college..

I will tell you from first hand experience with our eldest son, go on the campus visits.. don't let the webpage make your decision.. He wanted to go to a school in FL that was amazing on the webpage...but when his mom and he went to tour they couldn't get off campus fast enough... he said it was nothing like the photos.. now, it may have been a good school but he was very uncomfortable there...

We are done May 31st w/ graduation on June 1 (friday evening)....

Remember to file your FAFSA forms (you can go look over the site now) to get yourself familiar w/ all the financial info you will need to input... (this is for grants/loans; you submit; school sends you what they can give you)... Scholarships look online (fastweb, collegeboard.com) some can be applied for as Juniors.. Senior year have the kids stalk the counselors office for them.. Our school sends out a weekly updated spreadsheet and the kids go get the application to submit. (We are waiting on 3 for PJ that are decided this month). So, we have at least 3 boys in the class of 2014!!! I'm loving the graduation process so far.. now talk to me the month away when the day gets closer.. I'll be a little more teary!! If you or Anne have any questions let me know or any of the others who have kids off in college...

Anne, start a spreadsheet of schools.... mark down all the things you all want to look at the sports, the arts.... and check off what each school offers for him.... Then he can look and talk to each college..

I will tell you from first hand experience with our eldest son, go on the campus visits.. don't let the webpage make your decision.. He wanted to go to a school in FL that was amazing on the webpage...but when his mom and he went to tour they couldn't get off campus fast enough... he said it was nothing like the photos.. now, it may have been a good school but he was very uncomfortable there...

Thank you Nan!!! It's so nice to have advice from someone who's done it and knows the ropes....may be PM'ing or FB'ing you with more questions!!:)

Thank you Nan!!! It's so nice to have advice from someone who's done it and knows the ropes....may be PM'ing or FB'ing you with more questions!!:)

Feel free!! OH and don't be shocked when you do a housing tour and they tell you that they live on CO-ED floors.. (Not like when I was in college...girls lived on this floor, boys on this floor and that was a Co-ed dorm)... nope, now the boys can be the girls next door neighbor on the same floor... Which isn't a big deal but a shock if you aren't expecting it... Having grown up with 4 brothers no boy is gonna get far without PJ clocking the crap out of him for having "octo-hands" as she told her one guy friend! :rotfl:

I agree with Nan about the campus visits. Both Sarah and I knew the "right" school for her as soon as we stepped on campus and talked to a professor there :thumbsup2

Rachel is already filling out scholarship applications and we have 2 campus visits scheduled for later this spring. Thankfully she isn't as "hard-headed/stubborn" as her sister :rotfl: and she'll take advice from mom & dad.

I can't believe we only have 6 weeks until graduation :scared1: The senior class picture is being taken next Tuesday.

Anne--I'm not quite finished so I'll be mailing sometime next week. I'll let you know when I'm postal.

Good luck to all the soon to be Juniors and their parents! College tours are great when you are prepared, take Nan's advice and make the lists. It will make things easier, less follow up questions after the visit. Keep track of the pros and cons of each school for easy reference when it comes down to making the final decision between two schools, it may be a little thing that turns the tide.

Nan, no matter how prepared you are for graduation, it still knocks you upside the head the day of. I ran the gamut from being so excited for Josh to being really sad that it went so fast! Him being the typical boy, he was laughing at me all day! It goes by in the blink of an eye and you wonder how you got there.

Cassey

My kiddos get out May 9. Summer is almost here! Madison will be a SO next yr, so I guess I have one more year before all the college excitement starts; although, she is taking the ACT test for the first time on Saturday.

Anne, I'm hoping to be postal by the end of next week. My plan is to cut the rest of my groups tomorrow, so I can assemble during the girls dance classes next week. The groups are small, so these are going pretty quick.

Hi
Just wanted to tell you that I sent my little envelope yesterday. It will be arriving in a brown envelope but because of what it was they sent it parscle (sp?) and I do have a dc on it if needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter