Teacher handcuffed leaving school board meeting

Like I said, it used to be a good gig, back when I sat in those classes in college. It isn't any more.

You can just move on to a different thread if you want, or you can gripe about how you don't want to hear it. Either way, I can certainly state my opinion.
We all can. It's normal to sour about a career after many years. It's still a good gig for many. So much time off, the pay isn't horrible, it's the perfect job for a mother. If I hated my job so much I would do something about it, not complain.

We all can. It's normal to sour about a career after many years. It's still a good gig for many. So much time off, the pay isn't horrible, it's the perfect job for a mother. If I hated my job so much I would do something about it, not complain.

Oh BS. Everyone has something they don't l like about something and they are free to gripe or complain. It doesn't mean they don't like their jobs overall. There are many things about my job I do like, but the pay isn't one of them.

In Washington State they are desperate for teachers. The districts with a lower tax base, pay less. They have multiple teacher openings and can't fill them. They are hiring people with no teaching credentials because they can't find enough teachers. Many quit and move to districts in the Puget Sound where teachers with experience and master's degrees can make $80 to 90k. The districts that only pay $60 to 70k can't find enough people. The situation is so bad that there have been lawsuits forcing the state to increase funding by 10 billion dollars in an effort to level the playing field. Hopefully the added funding will improve the situation.
My neighbor would like to move to Washington (Seattle area) to be near family. She is a long time, excellent Special Ed teacher, which is even in more demand. She has interviewed for many positions there and has received many offers. However, they will not hire her until she has all her credentials. She filed for her Washington teaching license in August and finally received it before the holiday break. So, now she can be hired for next year. But if she is an example, they are not hiring without teaching credentials.

I respect teachers and the challenges faced. I also know there are corrupt school boards and administration.

However, having worked in the private sector my entire life while recently changing my career to teaching, I have to say that teaching is the easiest job I've ever had! The days are not nearly as grueling. there are many breaks in the day for planning and grading. And the hours are amazing! Not to mention the breaks. No weekends, no holidays (unless it's a snow makeup day).

As far as the pay is concerned, yes my teaching salary is less than what I made before, however, I can easily make up for that by working a part time job that is one to two shifts per month plus more during breaks if I want them.

I don't know, I see teachers whining about pay and working conditions and I just think they really have nothing to compare it to.
Wow, people must be flocking to your district to work there. I consult in many districts in our state so I see it day in and day out. There are rarely any breaks to plan so teachers are doing it after hours at home. Those breaks are used to help students catch up, like those students that take a voluntary week off school to go to Disney and then come back and parents demand that the teachers help their children catch up on their time because "it is their job." Part time jobs shifts are difficult after work because they are grading papers and lesson planning.

Now Intensive Paras, that is a great job at least around here. In one district, in one position, they start at $21 an hour. They don't get paid any of the holidays or breaks, but they get full benefits ($0 for employee) at 20 hours. They don't have to plan or do IEPs or deal with parents. They do earn their higher pay because it is a dangerous job especially with some of the more involved SED students.

Last edited:
Wow, people must be flocking to your district to work there. I consult in many districts in our state so I see it day in and day out. There are rarely any breaks to plan so teachers are doing it after hours at home. Those breaks are used to help students catch up, like those students that take a week off school to go to Disney and then come back and parents demand that the teachers help them catch up on their time because "it is their job." Part time jobs shifts are difficult after work because they are grading papers and lesson planning.

Now Intensive Paras, that is a great job. In one district, in one position, they start at $21 an hour. They don't get paid any of the holidays or breaks, but they get full benefits ($0 for employee) at 20 hours. They don't have to plan or do IEPs or deal with parents. They do earn their higher pay because it is a dangerous job especially with some of the more involved SED students.

It varies so much even from school to school! That is what floors me. Our teachers have a 90 min. planning period, and they are supposed to have a 30 min. "duty" in there, making it a 60 min. planning period. However, they rarely get it. There are planning meetings 6 days of the month for various things (grade level meeting, team meetings, subject meetings, etc..) and then there are 504s to attend, IEPs to attend, unpaid coverage to do, and parent meetings during that time. If they get a full 60 min. a week, they are lucky. Most of the time, planning and grading is after hours.

HOWEVER, this is a new school for me. Last year, teachers didn't have the demands that this school has. They had more planning, no after school meetings, and some added perks that my current job doesn't have.

In Washington State they are desperate for teachers. The districts with a lower tax base, pay less. They have multiple teacher openings and can't fill them. They are hiring people with no teaching credentials because they can't find enough teachers. Many quit and move to districts in the Puget Sound where teachers with experience and master's degrees can make $80 to 90k. The districts that only pay $60 to 70k can't find enough people. The situation is so bad that there have been lawsuits forcing the state to increase funding by 10 billion dollars in an effort to level the playing field. Hopefully the added funding will improve the situation.

I would move back to Seattle in a hot minute if we could, but I am too old to start over in a 3rd state and get health benefits in retirement. My best friend still lives there, I have family there, and I loved the 4 years I lived there. I am going back this summer for a visit. I can't wait (heck, maybe I will get a job and not come back! hahaha!)

But we are looking at moving back to CA, where most of my years are.

Every teacher I have ever met teaches because it is a calling not because there is great pay. They truly love helping children reach their potentials. There are some bad apples but that is in every career. Most teachers I know care more about their students than they do about their selves. They can love their jobs and what they do and still want to change the working conditions.

And they are doing something about it. They are making it known that teachers are underpaid. You just don't want to hear it.

The rest of your post is saying that the are putting teacher good guy against bad guy cop. That is exactly the situation. This cop used excessive force, there was no reason to act that way. He did not act correctly.
My initial post was to the link provided in the OP which was very vague... And I did think that was the tone of the article,whether that happened to be the case or not. After reviewing more articles and videos I do have a different opinion. Didn’t know I needed to come and clarify that 5+ pages later.

I haven’t really returned to the thread because honestly I forgot about it and the topic went in a different direction.

Every teacher I have ever met teaches because it is a calling not because there is great pay. They truly love helping children reach their potentials. There are some bad apples but that is in every career. Most teachers I know care more about their students than they do about their selves. They can love their jobs and what they do and still want to change the working conditions.

And they are doing something about it. They are making it known that teachers are underpaid. You just don't want to hear it.
Under paid compared to whom?

I respect teachers and the challenges faced. I also know there are corrupt school boards and administration.

However, having worked in the private sector my entire life while recently changing my career to teaching, I have to say that teaching is the easiest job I've ever had! The days are not nearly as grueling. there are many breaks in the day for planning and grading. And the hours are amazing! Not to mention the breaks. No weekends, no holidays (unless it's a snow makeup day).

As far as the pay is concerned, yes my teaching salary is less than what I made before, however, I can easily make up for that by working a part time job that is one to two shifts per month plus more during breaks if I want them.

I don't know, I see teachers whining about pay and working conditions and I just think they really have nothing to compare it to.

Last edited:
I hear a lot about all the after hours work teachers do as though it is unique to their field. Almost every salaried person I know of past lower management has a lot of work outside of business hours.

Without even counting work I do at home in the evenings and weekends I have 4 board and committee meeting every month, all in the evening and all at least 2 hours with some up to 4.

Now that isn't a complaint, that is the reality of executive management, but it is nowhere near unique to teachers.

Oh BS. Everyone has something they don't l like about something and they are free to gripe or complain. It doesn't mean they don't like their jobs overall. There are many things about my job I do like, but the pay isn't one of them.
But teachers and nurses complain the most. Especially here. If it's that hateful why would any one study for those careers. I hope you can relax a bit before school opens in the morning. Oh I forget. Paid day off.

But teachers and nurses complain the most. Especially here. If it's that hateful why would any one study for those careers. I hope you can relax a bit before school opens in the morning. Oh I forget. Paid day off.

MOST professional jobs have paid holiday days. My husband gets 12 holiday days, 25 paid days off for PTO, and lots of other perks, what is your point Art?

It gets very old hearing teachers complain about pay and working conditions. You know what the pay is all about by the time you are sitting in that first class at the University.

Yes, you know the pay, but the working conditions have changed drastically from the time some of today's teachers started out. Teaching used to be a job with a lot of creativity, a lot of autonomy, and a lot of respect. But high-stakes testing has changed the curriculum, and teachers have lost the flexibility to structure lessons to their classes and teaching styles. Children have changed, parents have changed, and respect has decreased. Full-time teaching today is very "data-driven" when it used to be "people-driven".

I'm not a full-time teacher. I worked in banking before becoming a SAHM for several years, but I now do occasional substitute teaching. I do love the hours, but only because I don't have any of the planning, grading, and parent contact that full-time teachers have. All I do is work with the kids (which is the rewarding part, in my opinion) and go home. But I have no desire at all to go back to school and begin teaching full time, because it sucks up far more of your life than those pretty hours on paper.

It gets very old hearing teachers complain about pay and working conditions. You know what the pay is all about by the time you are sitting in that first class at the University.

I have to agree with you. Don't like the pay, go into another field. Anyone who was told they'd make a killing studying education was lied to.

The other option is to become an administrator and then you can take all the available funds for yourself and screw the teachers over.

If it's a calling then live with it. There are many people who are "called" to be artists, gardeners, amateur film directors, and historians. I dont hear about them losing their collective minds over pay.

Yes, you know the pay, but the working conditions have changed drastically from the time some of today's teachers started out. Teaching used to be a job with a lot of creativity, a lot of autonomy, and a lot of respect. But high-stakes testing has changed the curriculum, and teachers have lost the flexibility to structure lessons to their classes and teaching styles. Children have changed, parents have changed, and respect has decreased. Full-time teaching today is very "data-driven" when it used to be "people-driven".
I can def agree on that but the caveat is it's been this way since I was young and in school..so over 20 years worth.

It's gotten worse that's for sure I know that but it's been test-driven, numbers oriented, teach this way for a while; no child left behind was in effect from 2001-2015 for example. For someone just starting out in the teaching field 20 years ago they may not have known what lie ahead but as time went on you knew that teaching mostly meant teaching for testing and that for the most part you needed to stick with what the districts wanted you to do (though this isn't every area). I feel like that's why I heard more and more about parents homeschooling their children, and e-schools, Montessori-based schools seem to be more prevalent, etc. It's not that I lay blame on the teachers because I don't but nor do I think it's been a recent development in how society and laws view teaching--so it's something that I see you would really have to look hard years and years ago if teaching was what you really wanted to do. I do agree in that the relationship teachers and parents have has changed quite a bit.

The only real difference in my area in recent years with the 3 big districts that I'm most familiar with, is that technology has been a big game changer as it has advanced quickly. We didn't have cell phones when we were kids nor iPADs..palm pilots were the fancy tech of the time (and my district sure didn't have palm pilots), chalk boards when I was in 5th grade were being transitioned to dry erase boards (and now you have smart dry erase boards), you had physical books and physical tests and now it's iPADs or Mac computers being used, etc.

My aunt is an elementary teacher so I get stories from her--she's actually supposed to retire at the end of this school year..we'll see if that sticks lol. Now she wouldn't talk about her income as that's not something most people talk openly about but she will talk about the challenges to teaching majority of students where spanish is their first language and english is a second language, she'll talk about the frustrations with dealing with the iPADs and she'll talk about the irritation that the school is changing and making the teachers stick with their students for example a 2nd grade teacher would move up for 1 year to become a 3rd grade teacher the following year in order to stick with the students they taught when they were considered 2nd graders.

If anything teaching is exactly like many people's jobs over time in terms of what was once a great thing is now not so much. Policies shift and change, rules get tightened, the dreaded acquisition from another company which can completely change how your work environment is depending on who bought your company out, management changes, etc.

My neighbor would like to move to Washington (Seattle area) to be near family. She is a long time, excellent Special Ed teacher, which is even in more demand. She has interviewed for many positions there and has received many offers. However, they will not hire her until she has all her credentials. She filed for her Washington teaching license in August and finally received it before the holiday break. So, now she can be hired for next year. But if she is an example, they are not hiring without teaching credentials.
We are talking SPED...
This is probably because there are FEDERAL laws regarding SPED, and these are required, and probably can NOT be waived, or the District will be in deep Hooo-Haaah and lose funding.

Of course, I do not for any particular state or district, but I could imagine, in extenuating circumstances, some credentials could be waived for lower level positions???
I wouldn't question or doubt that 'just because'.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter