Thanksgiving week crowds

SarahC97

DIS Veteran
I know, I know - people are always asking about crowds. I just want to make sure I'm setting up reasonable expectations for next week. We're only going to be there Sunday through Tuesday, mostly at MK. Just how busy do the parks feel during Thanksgiving week? I expect to wait for rides of course, but how long are lines for food and snacks? How easy are the parks to navigate? Wall to wall people? What's been your experience? Thanks!

I’m pretty worried as well. We booked our 1st trip and arrive the day after thanksgiving. I think it was a mistake. According to crowd calander it’s. 10 for 2 of the days we are there. To late now to switch.

What does a 10 crowd look like? Are all rides 1hr plus wait?

It’s all about expectations. I went in expecting insanity and chaos and it was most definitely not like that. It was not wall to wall people, IMO.

Use mobile ordering when you can. Expect to wait at LEAST 30 minutes for EVERYTHING. Main St will not be a good scene for HEA. I recommend either booking the dessert party, or watching from another location.

We had no trouble seeing the parade near Emporium. We walked up maybe 15 minutes before it started and were right in front.

It’s a wonderful time to be at Disney. I wish we were going this year. I already booked for 2019.

Enjoy!

Well .... I just booked new fastpasses and got great rides and good times for wed, thurs and fri... I’m gratefully happy.
There was even MK castle dinner on wed nite ( but took a pass) so things are feeling A-OK to me.
Fingers crossed and looking forward to some Disney time and family.

We went that week in 2015 and 2016 I believe. Rope drop strategy is highly recommended. Although it was not crazy busy, you should expect 60+ minute waits on many rides. One odd thing was Epcot appeared very busy in the evening both nights we went there. World Showcase was packed after 4pm.

Well .... I just booked new fastpasses and got great rides and good times for wed, thurs and fri... I’m gratefully happy.
There was even MK castle dinner on wed nite ( but took a pass) so things are feeling A-OK to me.
Fingers crossed and looking forward to some Disney time and family.
I just booked our trip last week and was able to get good fastpasses for our MK morning. But ADRs have been hard to come by.

Yes... but keep trying.
Not thrilled with our MK one ( and ultimately may ditch it and just grab qS food ...but was able to get all the others we wanted for the 5 days.
Good luck!

I’m pretty worried as well. We booked our 1st trip and arrive the day after thanksgiving. I think it was a mistake. According to crowd calander it’s. 10 for 2 of the days we are there. To late now to switch.

What does a 10 crowd look like? Are all rides 1hr plus wait?
Yes.
Even Rest Rooms have long lines in a 10 level crowd

Compared to the week immediately before or after Easter, I find Thanksgiving slightly less crowded. Still extremely busy, though. Expect large crowds and long waits. You probably won’t get as much accomplished, but it’s a really magical time of year to be there.

It’s all about expectations. I went in expecting insanity and chaos and it was most definitely not like that. It was not wall to wall people, IMO.

Use mobile ordering when you can. Expect to wait at LEAST 30 minutes for EVERYTHING. Main St will not be a good scene for HEA. I recommend either booking the dessert party, or watching from another location.

We had no trouble seeing the parade near Emporium. We walked up maybe 15 minutes before it started and were right in front.

It’s a wonderful time to be at Disney. I wish we were going this year. I already booked for 2019.

Enjoy!

Yes, pretty much this. It's not madness and chaos, by any stretch. Busy, sure. Main St during HEA, yes, that's a mob scene. However, beyond that, it's not terrible. We bring our own food in, but I know the QS places can be hit or miss for crowds. I honestly forget if it was Thanksgiving week or Xmas week, but last year one night we ate dinner at the tables outside of the Electric Umbrella. It was right at 6pm, prime dinner hour. There was literally only one other family out there, it was empty. We were stunned..and happy. At the same time, we have seen places like Starlight Cafe have lines out the door. So yeah, use mobile ordering. You can navigate around the parks just fine, again except for fireworks and parade time in MK. MDE is your friend. You will have no trouble getting on attractions if you use FP+ properly.

It's a fabulous time to be there, we've done it twice and I'm bummed we won't be there this year. Hoping for 2020.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter