The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

Enjoyed Waitress last weekend with Jordin Sparks, and really loved Come From Away.

I finally found Smash on the NBC app. Binging it now. I had no clue Anjelica Huston was in it. I LOVE her!!!!

I had forgotten she was in it! I've got to watch the second season. One thing about the show that was fun for me was that one of McPhee's friends is played by Wesley Taylor - he was in the original cast of Rock of Ages, which we saw on Broadway, and he stole the show! He's quite the ham!

Saw A Soldier’s Play last night. OMG! It was very well done (I always loved the movie anyway). Blair Underwood was outstanding and David Alan Grier was very, very good. As a bonus, got to meet Kenny Leon (who was hanging around since it’s still in previews). Won $30 seats on TodayTix and will definitely enter again.

Has anyone seen the new Fiddler tour? We are seeing it at the end of February and I'm hoping it's been reworked in the same way Miss Saigon was (a bit more cultural accuracy), and it seems to be that way but curious if anyone's seen it yet.

Has anyone seen the new Fiddler tour? We are seeing it at the end of February and I'm hoping it's been reworked in the same way Miss Saigon was (a bit more cultural accuracy), and it seems to be that way but curious if anyone's seen it yet.

All I know is that it is not Joel Grey's Yiddish version that just closed off-bway.
Looks like this version is directed by Bartlett Sher. I'm seeing it in march.

Anyone know when the Hadestown cast's contracts are up? If I see it again I'd like to see the current cast.

If you guys haven't seen Moulin Rouge, GO SEE IT. What an experience. From the moment you walk into the theater, the vibe is out of this world.

Jagged Little Pill was really entertaining too. I'm a huge Alanis fan so I was actually worried about having them reworked and yes... the lyrical changes on some songs seemed like they wanted to dumb it down.. but overall a really good show and, of course, the songs are amazing.

Beetlejuice is a BLAST. The main guy playing Beetlejuice is so so funny and I was so looking forward to it as a huge fan of the movie growing up and the promo performances I saw (Tonys, Thanksgiving Day Parade) were so on point. It did not disappoint. Check it out before it's run ends in June if you can.

Anyone seen the West Side Story revival yet?

I just saw the commercial that it's now in previews. It looks really interesting, how they updated the gangs to today. We have lots of gang violence. And these guys look authentic to the gang members see clips of on the local news. :scared: :duck:

Any discount tickets for it yet?

Youtuber Kevin Lynch saw it and really liked it. He uses many non Disney friendly words, so I can't link it.

I'll have to look for it later. Does he say that they stuck to the original Jerome Robbins choreography? I saw a Robbins career retrospective, on Broadway, several years ago. They did almost every dance from WWS. It is fantastic. That montage alone had the audience up in a standing ovation. I wouldn't want to see this show if they veered from Robbins' choreography/style too much.

I just saw the commercial that it's now in previews. It looks really interesting, how they updated the gangs to today. We have lots of gang violence. And these guys look authentic to the gang members see clips of on the local news. :scared: :duck:

Any discount tickets for it yet?

I'll have to look for it later. Does he say that they stuck to the original Jerome Robbins choreography? I saw a Robbins career retrospective, on Broadway, several years ago. They did almost every dance from WWS. It is fantastic. That montage alone had the audience up in a standing ovation. I wouldn't want to see this show if they veered from Robbins' choreography/style too much.
He didn't really comment too much on the dancing. He is more into the music as he is a musician. He said the music wasn't changed too much, which I am very happy about. They did cut it down to 1 act, which I am not a huge fan of.

He didn't really comment too much on the dancing. He is more into the music as he is a musician. He said the music wasn't changed too much, which I am very happy about. They did cut it down to 1 act, which I am not a huge fan of.

WHAAAAT??? :eek: What songs did they get rid of to make it 1 act? :confused:

:scratchin The only ones I think that can be cut/cut down are the dance at the gym, when Velma & the girls dance, Officer Krupke & I Feel Pretty can be cut down to a verse or two, and I suppose, when Tony runs around the city looking for Chino.

But, many of these songs/dances are ICONIC. I'd be pissed to see those cut down.

I just can't see messing with the glorious original choreography of West Side Story! We will NOT be seeing it.

Saw Jeremy Jordan (yes, it's probably over 20 times that we've seen him live!) on Saturday - he just keeps getting better and better. So happy for his success!

DD saw Beetlejuice - said it was ok - next plans are to get Music Man tickets! Adore Hugh Jackman and Sutton Foster!

WSS has completely new choreography. The first major revival to toss the original Robbins dance moves.

Removed completely are I Feel Pretty and the Somewhere ballet sequence.

The lyrics to America are also now the film lyrics and not the lyrics from the original stage show.

WHAAAAT??? :eek: What songs did they get rid of to make it 1 act? :confused:

:scratchin The only ones I think that can be cut/cut down are the dance at the gym, when Velma & the girls dance, Officer Krupke & I Feel Pretty can be cut down to a verse or two, and I suppose, when Tony runs around the city looking for Chino.

But, many of these songs/dances are ICONIC. I'd be pissed to see those cut down.
They cut "I Feel Pretty" and "Gee Officer Krupke" got a more political leaning. From the research I have done, this is the first show of the Choreographers. The musical director has a very good traditional musical theater background. I am willing to give it a chance when the soundtrack comes out, but I find the original Broadway show perfect. I know people love to change things up, but I am not a huge fan of change

WSS has completely new choreography. The first major revival to toss the original Robbins dance moves.

BackingOutOfRoom.gif
Oh no! Definitely will NOT be seeing it then. :headache:

. . . I find the original Broadway show perfect. I know people love to change things up, but I am not a huge fan of change

::yes:: I find the original Broadway production perfect too.

L&Lfan, I'm glad you asked about it. Now, I know better, so I won't go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter