The Running Thread - 2018

I don't mind running on hard packed pea gravel or dirt, but I chose to do most of my runs on greenway trails that are asphalt.

ATTQOTD: For me any earth trail surface is going to make me happiest. As for least favorite; well on Sunday I went out on a 16 miler and this is just after the last snow storm we had. So between previous snow fall, the latest storm and then plowed snow from the roads thrown up onto the sidewalk and walking trail I ran the whole time in ankle deep to knee deep snow. It was crunchy on top and then i would break through. My feet went numb, my shins got all banged up and I created a whole bunch of new swear words but I got it done. But to say that snow is my least favorite surface right now would be a huge understatement! Spring please come!

As I get older I find that running surface is important for recovery. Most outdoor runs are on the high school rubber track near my house. We have a nice trail system in our neighborhood but I rarely take advantage of it. I rarely run on pavement as it hurts too much.

How I picture myself running in sand:

woman-running-beach-dunes_0.jpg

What I really look like running in sand:

mud-run.jpg

My favorite surface is the track, but it isn't practical to run there all the time. I wish sidewalks were made of track material. If I have the choice of concrete sidewalk or asphalt road, I will almost always choose the road (as long as there isn't traffic).

QOTD: Do you have access to a track to run on? Do you take advantage of it any? If so do you do most of your runs on it or only certain types of workouts?

ATTQOTD: Since I moved there is a track I could use, but havent done so thus far. This summer I plan on using it for speed work days, but to run on it day in and day out would drive me crazy as running the same short loop over and over again would drive me crazy.

This week we have the following folks with a race:

17 - @McNs - Coastal Challenge (NG / N/A)
17 - @kywyldcat03 – Nashville Hot Chocolate 15K (NG / N/A)
17 - @Disney at Heart - Thrill in the Hills 21k Trail Race (NG / N/A)
18 - @JulieODC - Old Fashioned 10 Miler (1:40:00 / N/A)
18 - @GollyGadget - Chili Chase 4 Miler (30:29 / N/A)
18 - @huggybuff - Davis Stampede 5k (NG / N/A)

Best of luck to each of you this weekend! If you need to make a change to your goal or race, please let me know and I will make it for you. If anyone who is racing this weekend would like to add their race to the list let me know as well. Again, good luck and we look forward to hearing how your race went!

QOTD: What is your favorite type of surface to run on? What surface do you dislike to run on?

ATTQOTD: I prefer asphalt over all of the options and running on sand is a very overrated experience.

This may not be possible in all parts of the country but up here in New England I love running on the asphalt road but over to the side on the pine needles that gather on the edge. I remember hitting a section of about a mile during my first marathon where I was in pain and this bed of pine needles was on the side of the road and I thought, hmmmm lets see if this helps. It was glorious. So now anytime I see them I run on those.

I don't like running around the baseball stadium at WWoS during the marathon and having the stuff get in my shoes. :mad:

QOTD: Do you have access to a track to run on? Do you take advantage of it any? If so do you do most of your runs on it or only certain types of workouts?

ATTQOTD: Since I moved there is a track I could use, but havent done so thus far. This summer I plan on using it for speed work days, but to run on it day in and day out would drive me crazy as running the same short loop over and over again would drive me crazy.

There are tracks near me but I don't use them often. I find thats where a lot of walkers go and they walk 3,4,5 people wide so I'm constantly weaving like a Disney race. And I find it boring running in circles. I'll do speed work there when I get back to speed work but that's it. I like out and back routes for running because I can't stop when I get tired because I have to make it back home. Sometimes on the track I'd see my car in the parking lot and convince myself I was tired and had done enough that day, so I stopped.

ATTQOTD: Our local high school has a track I can run on if I need to. I usually only use it to do a Magic Mile. But instead of the nice, rubber track surface it is painted asphalt which really threw me the first time I ran on it. Since I usually only do the MM on it I am running top speed and can just imagine falling and doing a face plant. That possibly makes me hold back just a tiny bit on my run.

It's funny, I was actually wondering this morning if the university a few miles away from me has a track that's open to the public.
I looked it up, and the answer is ... they have a very nice track and it is not open to the public.
I'm sure there's a track open to the public around here somewhere, but I'm not interested in tracking (haha) one down.

Our town's high school actually has a dirt track... umm, what? #smalltownusa

The city I work in has several tracks, but I have never been to them.

I have access to a couple tracks. There is a private high school attached to the company where I work. It has a nice track employees can use and we have weekly speedwork sessions there. I've never used it though. We also have a psuedo track which is a paved squircle around the soccer fields at work. I use this periodically but the distance is kind of of weird. There is also a track that is in a park attached to one of the local schools. Its paved though and I've only used it to add a short amount of distance to a long run.

ATTQOTD: The middle school about a mile from my house has one and people seem to find there way onto it in the evenings. I don’t think I could make it more than a mile before I got bored of running laps but I’m glad to know it’s an option if I want it.

ATTQOTD: The timing on this is too funny. I was just looking for a track last night for speedwork and am having no luck. I found a park in town that has a 1/4 mile paved loop that I’ll use for speed work. Our schools have them, but obviously can’t use them during the day and then they are locked up at night. I was surprised with the amount of public parks and indoor facilities we have that there isn’t one!

Right now I’m living very near my old high school and it has a track. I haven’t ventured over yet to see the condition or what type of surface it is.

ATTQOTD: There are a few tracks on the base I work on. I run past one of them during my lunch runs, but I prefer to run along the waterfront.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter