The star wars spoiler thread

Forbes or CNN did A fascinating piece on why it fell short of avatar...it pointed out China...but what was more shocking was how far lower the takes were in Western Europe, Japan, austrailia, and South Korea.

Those are us friendly/built countries that gobbled up the original Star Wars...
Perhaps they didn't give Abrams and Disney as much of a "pass" as northamerica did? Or was it not technologically as compelling?

They also mentioned that Cameron marketed avatar brilliantly as an "experience"...as opposed to "if you love Han Solo - you'll
Love this"

Last edited:
Forbes or CNN did A fascinating piece on why it fell short of avatar...it pointed out China...but what was more shocking was how far lower the takes were in Western Europe, Japan, austrailia, and South Korea.

Hahahaha... :D

Look how this movie that made $700 million less than this other movie made less in these countries... Well duh.

Avatar is an anomaly. Plain and simple. Regardless of how it was marketed, regardless of how crappy it was, or how great it was. It was an anomaly. Avatar 2, 3, and 4 combined will be lucky to make as much money.

As always, look at the numbers.

#2 is 2.1 Billion (Titanic)- 22% LOWER!
#3 is 2.0 Bilion (Star Wars TFA)- 28% LOWER!
#4? 1.67 Billion (Jurassic) - a whopping 40% LOWER! 1.11 Billion LESS.

If the difference between Avatar and Jurassic World ($1.11 Billion) were a movie, the difference alone would be the #14 movie ALL TIME in gross.

Titanic is an extremely popular movie.
Star Wars TFA is an extremely popular movie.
There is $700 Million gap between Avatar and Titanic/TFA.
There is a $400 Million gap between Titanic/TFA and Jurassic World.
After that? A whole bucket load of movies are grouped together with minimal (less than $100 million) gaps.

Comparing anything to Avatar is a complete waste. Clearly... we are unlikely to ever see anything like that again. Getting to 50% of Avatars gross makes you the #8 movie of all time. 50%!

The battle will forever be for #2/#3... #1? It'll take a convergence of a lot of things to achieve anything close EVER.

And because numbers are fun:

Country/Avatar/TFA/Gap (%)
France/$175/$80/55%
Germany/$162/$104/36%
UK/$150/$176/-17%
Spain/$109/$35/68%
China/$204/$122/40%
Japan/$171/$84/51%
Domestic/$760/$905/-19%

Your points are taken...it's just odd to see the country by country breakdown in raw numbers.

Why did it not even sniff it in Germany?...Japan? The Spain number is mind boggling (unless you subscribe to my theory Below)

Was the movie "too Anglican"? Just interesting.

Agree that avatar isn't a good comparison...it just hit somekind of convergence of soft spots in a way that was unpredictable.

One theory I have...that the world wide economy was absolutely in the crapper then. So low cost entertainment was more appealing. Also...the US economy wasn't strong compared to world currencies and indicators then...now that's currently flipped upside down.

Do we think it's going to beat titanic?

On first release? That's not possible now.

But as others have pointed out - titianic includes rerelease figures...

I could see that happening down the road. Especially if the other new movies go well...then there will be a nostalgia for Han Solo that will make TFA a more revered movie in the long run

It's completely out of steam. Making less than 1.5 mil/day and by next week probably less than $1 million. It's dead.

Even with a rerelease? Never.

Avatar made $11 million in its rerelease. Titanic has made $50 million. TFA is likely to fall at least $150 million short of Titanic. Ain't gonna happen.

It's completely out of steam. Making less than 1.5 mil/day and by next week probably less than $1 million. It's dead.

Even with a rerelease? Never.

Avatar made $11 million in its rerelease. Titanic has made $50 million. TFA is likely to fall at least $150 million short of Titanic. Ain't gonna happen.

It's unlikely...but you know nostalgia for Star Wars could tip the scales on a rerelease more than any other movie in history would stand a chance.

The thing that hurt it chances was how quickly it flatlined overseas...it should be dead after $910 in North America...but it flamed in 3 weeks in some places overseas

Last edited:
Neither do i. Part of me thinks that if they only had it at the iMAX in 2D to start with and delayed the 3D until about now, it may have pushed people to go and see it a final time in 3D (Even though the 3D didn't add much)

For those of you keeping score at home - TFA outperformed over the weekend earning 3rd place.

Onward and upward!!!

For those of you keeping score at home - TFA outperformed over the weekend earning 3rd place.

Onward and upward!!!

Might make it to march 1st earning respectable takes...that's about a 10-12 week run...great by today's standards...

I have to admit...I miss the days of the long 4-6 month runs though...
Damn digital age ;)

Finally saw it the other night. I was entertained, there were some good moments and there was plenty or rehash. The acting and plot was much better than 1,2 and 3. Wasn't better than The Empire Strikes Back but I didn't expect it to be.

For what it needed to do, I believe it did that. Peaked my interest to see Episode 8.

Finally saw it the other night. I was entertained, there were some good moments and there was plenty or rehash. The acting and plot was much better than 1,2 and 3. Wasn't better than The Empire Strikes Back but I didn't expect it to be.

For what it needed to do, I believe it did that. Peaked my interest to see Episode 8.

That's pretty much my thoughts too

So we bought the DVD and watched the movie again.
I hadn't noticed in theaters, but who gave Poe the map in the opening scene. He's very familiar, like I may have seen him in previous Star Wars movies, but can't place him. At first I thought Dooku, but that isn't it. Probably was in another sci-fi flick.
Next, I was watching Rebels with my son the other day, and Darth Maul made an appearance. Unsure how that works as the last time I remember seeing him in the series he was in two pieces falling down a hole.

As to Rey's lineage. If she's Luke's kid, and she could be, I don't think she knows it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter