Things to do in Baltimore, MD "We are back in ALABAMA!!"

Not sure what the deal with the school buses are really. Maybe summer camp or groups just rent them. I dunno. :confused3

Here's the thing about steamed crabs, be prepared to get very messy--atleast your hands. My ds doesn't like to eat them for that reason. It is sooo worth the mess though. And since it will be your first time, ask someone to show you how to eat them because they are loaded with great meat and you might miss it. You may have to clean a couple for your younger ones for them to enjoy the taste-- they will enjoy the taste. I am not a big seafood eater-- only crabs, shrimp, and sometimes tuna fish.

You guys will definetly have to make another trip back for all the stuff your missing. LOL

Here's the thing about steamed crabs, be prepared to get very messy--atleast your hands. My ds doesn't like to eat them for that reason. It is sooo worth the mess though. And since it will be your first time, ask someone to show you how to eat them because they are loaded with great meat and you might miss it.

Ain't that the truth! Messy but oh-so worth it. The best thing is: it's an experience unique to the area. You'll even come away with the battle-scars to prove you did it -- those pesky little cuts you can get on your fingers from the shells. :thumbsup2

I've found lots of non-locals that would go for the steamed, spiced shrimp if they found the crabs a turn-off. My husband, a Brit, is now a full-fledged converted steamed crab lover although his technique is still not as good. :lmao:

There is now a Vaccaro's in Bel Air. I haven't read the whole thread to see where you are staying, but that is an alternative option...

My experience with AYCE places: the crabs are small. If you've never had Maryland crabs before, you want good, big, HEAVY crabs!

I'm going to go back and read the whole thread now!

There is now a Vaccaro's in Bel Air. I haven't read the whole thread to see where you are staying, but that is an alternative option...

My experience with AYCE places: the crabs are small. If you've never had Maryland crabs before, you want good, big, HEAVY crabs!

I'm going to go back and read the whole thread now!

Thanks for joining us!! :cool1: I am in the Owings Mills area. I see that they have several locations, but I am not sure which one is closer to me.

So I am sitting here this morning reading on thd DIS when I get a phone call from my FIL in Atlanta asking if we felt the earthquake this morning. I must have slept right through it!!:rotfl2:

WASHINGTON — The largest earthquake ever recorded near the capital rattled Washington, D.C., early Friday, waking many residents but causing no reported damage.

The quake hit at 5:04 a.m. ET with a magnitude of 3.6, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. It was centered near Rockville, Md., the USGS said.

NBC News reported that the quake was felt in the D.C.-area, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia and Pennsylvania.

Now this is WILD!!:laughing: I am so glad that no one was hurt and there was no reported damage. :thumbsup2

Waiting for after shocks!!popcorn::

Crazy about the earthquake. I remember one a few years ago. My hubby and I were taking a nap. All of a sudden I heard some rumbling and our dog jumped up and was upset.

At the time we were living in a town house...so I just thought it was the neighbors next store being their noisy selves :goodvibes.
Found out later it was an earthquake. Whoops.

I agree about the AYCE crabs...sometimes they are not the biggest of fullest. You can have them show you how big they are before you decide. If you just want to experience some you can always order a dozen of a larger size.

And if your not a fan of old bay...or spicy. Sometimes they can put less spice on for you.
And the battle scars do not feel good with old bay in them! LOL!

Crazy about the earthquake. I remember one a few years ago. My hubby and I were taking a nap. All of a sudden I heard some rumbling and our dog jumped up and was upset.

At the time we were living in a town house...so I just thought it was the neighbors next store being their noisy selves :goodvibes.
Found out later it was an earthquake. Whoops.

I agree about the AYCE crabs...sometimes they are not the biggest of fullest. You can have them show you how big they are before you decide. If you just want to experience some you can always order a dozen of a larger size.

And if your not a fan of old bay...or spicy. Sometimes they can put less spice on for you.
And the battle scars do not feel good with old bay in them! LOL!

Noisy neighbors!:rotfl2: We are in an apartment up here so I know all about that! lol We have tried soooo hard to keep our kids quite, no stomping and all but I am sure the people below us will be glad when we are gone. :rotfl2: I also will not miss the ones above us. You can hear just about every step they make. :rolleyes1 Thank goodness they are not home much. :laughing:

If you are still looking for a crab place, I would definitely go with Reter's. They are the best around. I don't think they do AYCE often, but AYCE is often not the best stuff. Reters has plenty of other menu options for the other kids...

If you are still looking for a crab place, I would definitely go with Reter's. They are the best around. I don't think they do AYCE often, but AYCE is often not the best stuff. Reters has plenty of other menu options for the other kids...

I think this is where we are going to go. :thumbsup2 The menu looks very good and there is something for everyone. :banana:

Now, if I could just get the plan for the weekend out of my husband, I would be happy! LOL

We said before we came here that we wanted to go to Lancaster and see the Amish Country there. I have to tell you that I enjoyed that so much today. It was like going to God's country or something. It was the most peaceful place in the world to me.

When we got there, we went to the welcome center and the lady in there gave me a map of the area, and she told us where to go. That map was so very helpful. It showed all of the side roads and it made it so easy to find our way around.

We made a stop by a farm and bought some cookies, and took some pictures of the kids with a pony. It was really neat. I was torn between videoing & snapping pictures the whole time.:rotfl2: My kids really liked the area too. They found in interesting and kept talking about Farmville & the farms there, but at least they understood what was going on. :rotfl:

I'll post pictures in a little while. :)

I found this intersting because it's unlike anything our children have today. It's a one room school that is still in use.

AmishCountry001.jpg

This is a picture of the boys bathroom outside.

AmishCountry002.jpg

another view of the school

AmishCountry008.jpg

We stopped to buy some cookies and Lindsey called a pony over to her.

AmishCountry017.jpg

It ate some greass out of her hand. So sweet!

AmishCountry018.jpg

AmishCountry025.jpg

I love this one.
AmishCountry030.jpg

We saw this a lot where the kids would ride in the back.

AmishCountry031.jpg

AmishCountry033.jpg

Picture of the beautiful farms

AmishCountry009.jpg

AmishCountry010.jpg

We saw a lot of people riding these little things.

AmishCountry011.jpg

My oldest DD, Lauren, is getting excited. Her boyfriend will be flying up this Friday afternoon to see her & to tour DC with is this weekend & next week. This just means that our time here is almost over. We will be packing up and heading back to Sweet Home Alabama next Friday morning, July 30th. So, we are going to make the best of it this week & next.

It looks like Hershey Park is out. We have just been slammed with 3500.00 worth of hospital bills from Lauren having kidney stones. :headache: That bill could have waited a couple of weeks to come to DH!!:rolleyes1 What really makes me mad is that this money could have gone to a Disney trip in Dec. Now that's got to wait too. :sad1: lauren wants to go to Disney for her Senior trip so hopefully I can pull it off for that. :worship: I am almost tempted to go back to work after 11 years..... NOT!! :rotfl2: I may sub at the school though. :thumbsup2

Well, the kids were up all night again, so they are sleeping in. Going back to school in a few weeks is going to kill them. :teacher: It's going to be so nice for me though. :banana: I am so excited to get this school year started. With Lauren being a senior & Lindsey cheerleading, it's going to be a fun year!!:cheer2:

Glad you all made it to Lancaster. We love that area. Probably good you didn't get to the outlets since you have that huge bill. :scared1: Sorry about that. :hug:

Can't wait to see what you all explore next. Have you made it to Fort McHenry? It's not to far from the Inner Harbor, lots of cool things there.

P.s good luck to you all with your daughter's sr year. My son just graduated last year and will be attending University of Baltimore this fall. :banana: We went to Disney in June for his sr trip. It was great. Hope u all get to go.

P.s good luck to you all with your daughter's sr year. My son just graduated last year and will be attending University of Baltimore this fall. :banana: We went to Disney in June for his sr trip. It was great. Hope u all get to go.

I hope so too!! I think we will once we get home and start planning. DH is so TIGHT!! :rotfl2: He may just have to cave on this one. We just went last Sept so it's fine, but it seems the more you go to Disney, the more you crave it!!:rotfl2: Oh, I just paid off one of those bills today. :cool1:

Congratulations on your son!! I know you are proud of him. I am excited about my DD going to college. I think she will LOVE it!!:goodvibes I am ready for her to grow up & get married so I can have a grandbaby to take to DISNEY WORLD!!:lmao: It's funny how we look forward to these things. :rotfl2: What can I say, I am a very simple person.

Someone posted on another thread about proposing at Disney World. Well, I started looking at youtube videos on it and I found this one. It made me cry! :rotfl2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg3M5PApMQM&feature=related

She would NOT have seen this coming!! I want one of my kids, if not all of them, to get married at Disney!!:cloud9:

Nice engagement video, thanks for sharing.

I just back from Lancaster a few hours ago -- Just went over for one night. Did you go to Kitchen Kettle Village? We were there this morning. Spent the night at AmishView Inn -- very nice. Our room overlooked an Amish farm (I guess, sometimes I think some of the Amish is stuff is for show and not real). Watched a barefoot Amish boy abuse a horse -- seriously disturbing and not in characater at all with the Amish.

Nice engagement video, thanks for sharing.

I just back from Lancaster a few hours ago -- Just went over for one night. Did you go to Kitchen Kettle Village? We were there this morning. Spent the night at AmishView Inn -- very nice. Our room overlooked an Amish farm (I guess, sometimes I think some of the Amish is stuff is for show and not real). Watched a barefoot Amish boy abuse a horse -- seriously disturbing and not in characater at all with the Amish.

No, we didn't go there to the Kitchen Kettle place. I didn't research going there like I should have. Are you serious about the barefoot boy? What was he doing to the horse? We didn't see anything like that at all, thank goodness. I bet that Inn was really nice though. I really wish that we could have spent more time up there but at least we got to go and see what we did. I really enjoyed it. :goodvibes

I have been spoiled to being so close to Target!! We live about 45 minutes away from one, back home so this has been so nice. :cloud9:

Jenn!! Where are you??:rotfl2: You must be out shopping. I am thinking about going over to the BIG mall tomorrow. I need to get out of this apartment!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter