This Is Us- Season 3

I thought it was a really well done episode. I love the flashes between Jack and the kids going up to Nicky's door. It broke my heart to see how it hurt Rebecca to find out Jack had such a big secret.

Great episode! I am also mad at Jack. I understand how he gave up, but you would think he would have come around over the years.

Bravo to Kevin for turning left. He's changed so much since the beginning of the show.

I loved that. How Jack was at the same turning point (physically and literally) and he chose to turn towards home and turn his back on Nicky. Then it flashed to that little talk with young Kevin about making the right choice, and we see grown up Kevin turn towards Nicky. I was so scared they were going to find Nicky dead. I would have hated that. I love how Nicky will be in the show for a bit. It's like they have a piece of Jack. BTW the casting is incredible for young and older Nicky.

I think it's a little hypocritical for Becca to be mad about Jack keeping that secret after the secret she kept, but I agree with the poster who thinks Miguel knew the truth all along, might be something that breaks him and Becca up.

I'm not completely convinced Rebecca is mad. Something she said makes me think she might feel like it's somehow partly her fault. She told Miguel that she should have pushed Jack to open up about that part of his life. To me, that sounds like she's disappointed in herself. I think it's in her character to realize she kept a huge secret from Jack and has no right to be mad at him for this. I could be wrong, but that's where my thoughts lie right now.

I'm not completely convinced Rebecca is mad. Something she said makes me think she might feel like it's somehow partly her fault. She told Miguel that she should have pushed Jack to open up about that part of his life. To me, that sounds like she's disappointed in herself. I think it's in her character to realize she kept a huge secret from Jack and has no right to be mad at him for this. I could be wrong, but that's where my thoughts lie right now.
I think that also. Even if you kept a secret though, it would be hard to not be at least a little hurt to find this out.
I couldn't believe I didn't even recognize Griffin Dunne playing Nicky! I have always liked him, but it took my dd to point it out to me, who he was. I hope he sticks around for awhile, and they can help him.

Bravo to Kevin for turning left. He's changed so much since the beginning of the show.

I agree - and the speech about "you either repeat your father's mistakes or correct them" was so true!

I thought it was a really well done episode. I love the flashes between Jack and the kids going up to Nicky's door.

I agree - very well put together!

• I don’t know why but I have a bad feeling about Kate going on this trip for some reason.

• OMG I thought they were going to find him dead.

I had both those thoughts during the episode as well. I was afraid for Kate traveling during a high-risk pregnancy, and I was sure they were going to find Nicky dead when they went back at the end.

• I always love the music they play in the show.

Ditto.

This. I think she suspected something was wrong back then (not this exactly! - but something) and wished she'd followed up.

I've very bummed that we don't get another new episode unto February 5th!

I am wondering what they are going to do with the time slot for next Tuesday, now that the state of the union address has been postponed.

Probably a repeat :(

Great episode last night - gut wrenching, but definitely cleared up some questions. And I loved the interactions of the Pearson kids on the road trip. Especially Randall, when asked how he's staying so calm about learning about Nicky. :thumbsup2:rotfl:

I guess I am in the minority. I didn't care for this episode at all. Kate traveling across the country after already losing one baby and going through what she did to get pregnant?? NO.

I think the whole Nicky story is too over the top. This is the first time I have been really disappointed in this show.

Tonight's episode was one of the best by far. My heart is breaking for Nicky. If Jack had just given him a chance to speak... am I the only one a little mad at Jack right now? I mean, besides Rebecca. She is not happy with him.

I am really mad at Jack right now. That final scene just killed me. I didn’t think I would ever be angry with Jack but I was wrong.

Poor Nicky. Poor kid. Poor kid's mom. So disappointed in Jack right now. Very proud of Kevin, Randall, and Kate, though.

So what do you think will happen next?!?!?!

I wondered while watching if there were more ramifications of the death of the boy/Nicky's choices, besides the obvious. That Jack was carrying more than we realize with his decision-making going forward.

Jack did mention that they all had to be out of there by a certain time. I might be thinking way too much but it did make me think that maybe there is more to come, that their withdrawal wasn't so smooth.

I think one of Jack’s real flaws as a human being is that he just talks too much. He’s always ready with a speech, a pep talk. He doesn’t do enough listening. This flaw cost him his relationship with his brother and cost his brother many, many years of his life, peace and happiness. The whole storyline is a good reminder of how important it is to close one’s mouth and just listen. That’s often what people need most.

I thought the episode was just okay. I really haven't been enjoying this season so much. I am missing more moments of levity.

However, it did hit me very hard in the way you are expressing - lessons about black and white thinking, quick assumptions, truly listening, and forgiveness. And all the variants in each of these topics.

And how sometimes it is too late. Sigh. But learning when it is not too late, the strength that takes. How stubborn so many of us are.

These choices can be both simple and true moments of courage.

Hard.

Okay then, shutting up now.:goodvibes

Last edited:
As for Rebecca -

I thought both thoughts were true. That she did wonder if she has some participation by being okay with/not pushing Jack when it was evident that he was carrying things on his own (hard to know the balance).

And -

The heartbreak of thinking that they shared everything as a team - as husband and wife, they knew everything about each other. And now it is not true. She kept knowledge about Randall's father and the man she thought she knew inside and out lied about the death of his brother. Huge.

I think when one finds out something shocking about a deceased loved one, it is normal for that to make one question a lot about the entire relationship/person. Whether that is remotely fair or not.

Or rational. It really rocks everything.

Last edited:
I finally watched last night. I agree with @SaintsManiac that this story line is a bit over the top.

BUT. I am let all of that go and just went with it. And I'm glad I did. What a moving episode. The line about repeating your parent's mistakes or correcting them, followed up with that car turning left, was so moving. I wanted to hug every single one of those kids in the car. It gave me chills.

I guess I am in the minority. I didn't care for this episode at all. Kate traveling across the country after already losing one baby and going through what she did to get pregnant?? NO.

I think the whole Nicky story is too over the top. This is the first time I have been really disappointed in this show.
Question, since several people have mentioned it: What is it about a lengthy car trip that would be particularly dangerous for a pregnant person? Just curious - I don’t really know anyone who has struggled with this sort of thing.

Question, since several people have mentioned it: What is it about a lengthy car trip that would be particularly dangerous for a pregnant person? Just curious - I don’t really know anyone who has struggled with this sort of thing.

As far as I know they are in California. She would have had to fly there. Maybe I missed something and they moved to the east coast?

Doesn't she live in LA and needed to fly across the country first?

:blush: For some reason I just assumed it was a road trip - I didn’t pay much attention to the episode while DH was watching it. Do airlines have policies prohibiting travel for pregnant people past a certain stage? Is there anything about air travel itself that’s risky?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter