This Is Us- Season two

Yea I thought it was nutty. And why does Toby think it's okay to pour a bucket of water on himself at a coffee house?

OMG I thought the same thing, I thought it was forced and came off as strange. I understand they wanted to show him crazy happy about the baby, but it was a bit much. It would have been better if he just stood in the middle of the room and shouted, "We're having a baby!" or something. But him dancing around the room and doing the flashdance water bucket thing while draping over a chair was silly. Luckily it wasn't hot water!!!

Wow!!! I loved this episode! (I probably say that every week.)

I feel like you guys wait until I post about the episode before joining in lol

I just very rarely watch it in real time! Sometimes I get up early on Wednesday and "have coffee with the Pearsons" before my day starts, sometimes I get a chance to play it in the middle of the day, and sometimes I don't get to see it until Wednesday night. I stay away from the thread until I've watched.

Did we know Jack had/has a brother?? I feel like we didn’t know that. Maybe Rebecca doesn’t even know. Maybe he died in the war? Maybe he got messed up and didn’t talk to Jack after they came home from the war? We need more info lol

No, I'm almost certain we didn't. And yes, I think he will die in the war.

It does explain, though, why he seems extra invested in making sure that Kevin and Randall are close.

Good point!

I’m glad that Kate isn’t going to be quiet about her pregnancy for the whole nine months. She’d totally tell Kevin and that wouldn’t help things with Toby. I didn’t really buy the whole Madison side story. If you despise someone, you don’t change your mind in five seconds.

It's amazing what people will bond over.

I'm also glad it's not going to be a complete secret.

I don’t think Kate really despises Madison, she’s jealous of her because she’s skinny and in her head that means she doesn’t have any problems. But Kate is doing exactly to Madison what she thinks people are doing to her; making judgments on looks alone.

I definitely think Kate is jealous, but I also think Madison is in the wrong group. (I get that the writers need her, I just think there would be two different support groups - for related, but not exactly the same, problems - in real life.)

OMG I thought the same thing, I thought it was forced and came off as strange. I understand they wanted to show him crazy happy about the baby, but it was a bit much. It would have been better if he just stood in the middle of the room and shouted, "We're having a baby!" or something. But him dancing around the room and doing the flashdance water bucket thing while draping over a chair was silly. Luckily it wasn't hot water!!!

That's true!

But honestly, I think the whole thing was very "Toby". He is over-the-top like that.

I love that Deja is warming up and starting to tell Randall things!

And I hate that Kevin is traveling down a path of addiction!

I don’t think Kate really despises Madison, she’s jealous of her because she’s skinny and in her head that means she doesn’t have any problems. But Kate is doing exactly to Madison what she thinks people are doing to her; making judgments on looks alone.

I also thin Kate feels that since Madison is skinny she can't possibly have problems.

I had to laugh when Kate was telling Toby about the accident with Madison and she had good news and bad news. Then Toby asked, "did you kill her?" and she was like, "NO!" and he said, "oh, I thought you said you had good news."

I definitely think Kate is jealous, but I also think Madison is in the wrong group. (I get that the writers need her, I just think there would be two different support groups - for related, but not exactly the same, problems - in real life.)
Yeah but we don’t know if Madison has ever been obese or not. Becoming thin doesn’t suddenly make you immune to overeating and food issues. It’s still a very real struggle. And even if she’s never been obese it could still be a struggle. Making assumptions because she’s blond, pretty and thin is just as bad as making assumptions about someone who is obese. I don’t think Madison is just there for Kate to hate. I think eventually she will serve as a lesson/revelation.

Kevin, oh Kevin, what are you doing? I get addiction, I just don’t want to see how low he goes.

The Kevin addiction thing seems just weird to me. I listen to a lot of stories of drug abuse in my volunteer work, but I've never gotten the feeling that opiate addiction happened SO fast, but I'm definitely not an expert. I mean I've heard about crack in the 80s being a super fast addiction, but most of the actual people I've met that have had to deal with this irl, start out taking it for real reasons, and it spirals slowly. That makes the whole thing with his issue seem very forced.

The Kevin addiction thing seems just weird to me. I listen to a lot of stories of drug abuse in my volunteer work, but I've never gotten the feeling that opiate addiction happened SO fast, but I'm definitely not an expert. I mean I've heard about crack in the 80s being a super fast addiction, but most of the actual people I've met that have had to deal with this irl, start out taking it for real reasons, and it spirals slowly. That makes the whole thing with his issue seem very forced.
I would guess that he had an addiction in the past, which made it easier to get hooked again this time. But that is just my guess.

Wow!!! I loved this episode! (I probably say that every week.)

I just very rarely watch it in real time! Sometimes I get up early on Wednesday and "have coffee with the Pearsons" before my day starts, sometimes I get a chance to play it in the middle of the day, and sometimes I don't get to see it until Wednesday night. I stay away from the thread until I've watched.

No, I'm almost certain we didn't. And yes, I think he will die in the war.

Good point!

It's amazing what people will bond over.

I'm also glad it's not going to be a complete secret.

That's true!

But honestly, I think the whole thing was very "Toby". He is over-the-top like that.

I love that Deja is warming up and starting to tell Randall things!

And I hate that Kevin is traveling down a path of addiction!
Ditto to all of these comments!!

I also thin Kate feels that since Madison is skinny she can't possibly have problems.

I had to laugh when Kate was telling Toby about the accident with Madison and she had good news and bad news. Then Toby asked, "did you kill her?" and she was like, "NO!" and he said, "oh, I thought you said you had good news."

That was hilarious!!! And he said just so matter of fact!

Yes but addiction can be inherited. It runs in both mine and my DH’s family. (That scene w/Jack in the car waiting for his dad to come out of the bar? Hello flashbacks, been there, could write a book.) We both have to be extremely careful because we EASILY lean that way. You can have a problem before you know it. He’s under pressure for the movie, in his mind his one big break, has never dealt with his feelings about Jack’s death and has a “valid” reason for taking the pills. It’s the perfect storm. I wouldn’t say he’s addicted at this point but it’s certainly easier to take something rather than just deal. He’s on his way though.

Yes but addiction can be inherited. It runs in both mine and my DH’s family. (that scene w/Jack in the car waiting for his dad to come out of the car. Hello flashbacks, been there, could write a book.) We both have to be extremely careful because we EASILY lean that way. You can have a problem before you know it. He’s under pressure for the movie in his mind his one big break, has never dealt with his feelings about Jack’s death and has a “valid” reason for taking the pills. It’s the perfect storm. I wouldn’t say he’s addicted at this point but it’s certainly easier to take something rather than just deal. He’s on his way though.

So then, it's not as forced as I'm reading it? Good. It just seemed like his story was get back with the ex, movie, addiction.

So then, it's not as forced as I'm reading it? Good. It just seemed like his story was get back with the ex, movie, addiction.
IMO, no. If I decided to hit the bar and play some video poker just a couple days a week while my kids are at school I could have us in debt and have a drinking problem in a matter of weeks. What stops me is I know that about myself and my family history. I watched my Dad who watched his Dad. Addiction is very real and very rampant in my family. I watched my sister go off the rails once in VERY short order. I have an awareness where I don’t think Kevin does. Jack hid his issues very well and when the kids did find out about it he was already seeking help. Kev doesn’t know he’s going down the rabbit hole. If I have the time line correct it’s been just over three weeks since he started taking the pain meds. Definitely a head start into trouble territory.

IMO, no. If I decided to hit the bar and play some video poker just a couple days a week while my kids are at school I could have us in debt and have a drinking problem in a matter of weeks. What stops me is I know that about myself and my family history. I watched my Dad who watched his Dad. Addiction is very real and very rampant in my family. I watched my sister go off the rails once in VERY short order. I have an awareness where I don’t think Kevin does. Jack his his issues very well and when the kids did find out about it he was already seeking help. Kev doesn’t know he’s going down the rabbit hole. If I have the time line correct it’s been just over three weeks since he started taking the pain meds. Definitely a head start into trouble territory.

I wasn't trying to mitigate the seriousness of addiction! I certainly wasn't trying to suggest that, it just seemed out of nowhere and forced. The rabbit hole thing makes sense, you're saying he doesn't realize how dangerous his actions are and that makes the story more plausible.

I wasn't trying to mitigate the seriousness of addiction! I certainly wasn't trying to suggest that, it just seemed out of nowhere and forced. The rabbit hole thing makes sense, you're saying he doesn't realize how dangerous his actions are and that makes the story more plausible.
Oh I didn’t think you were! I’m just trying to shed a little light on addiction in families. I firmly believe it’s inherited and if you don’t know you’re at risk that puts you on a fast track, kwim?

eta: my sister and I were just talking about this the other day. We thought everyone’s parents drank at work, stayed out all night and left them in the car while they were in the bar. My DH tells the same stories. We thought it was normal. It wasn’t until we were almost grown and had friends whose families didn’t do those things that we realized it wasn’t.

Oh I didn’t think you were! I’m just trying to shed a little light on addiction in families. I firmly believe it’s inherited and if you don’t know you’re at risk that puts you on a fast track, kwim?

I can see that, and appreciate the explanation more than you know. It makes me "get" the Kevin storyline and also has some application in regards to the volunteer work I do and love. As I've mentioned before and will continue to do so, the good that AA/NA does in the community for those in recovery and for the community as a whole is just remarkable. I don't "get" all of what they do, but I know it's some darn good stuff, but your information helps me understand the herititary nature of the disease a bit better. It's something I've "known" but like I "know" how a car goes, but I can't claim to understand it.

I'm sad to see the storyline with Kevin and addiction, but I must say his acting of that role is very good. His mannerisms and behavior are SO spot on to the addict I knew well. He even looks a bit like him, which makes it all the more eerie

Maybe jack had to kill his brother in Vietnam. Maybe he was hurt so badly ......... maybe their father never forgave jack for not saving brother.

Brothers dog tags are in that box. At fire, jack runs back in to save box of brothers things. Dog tags on front seat when Rebecca is driving the car after the fire.

I still don't like toby.

I HATE Kevin's addiction story. Maybe Sophie can help ( she is preg in real life so maybe at some point she needs to be gone for a while)

Will Kate have a good pregnancy? Don't know.

Did jacks dad die or is he still hanging on?

I seem to recall--and for all I know, this could be a figment of my fevered imagination--a scene with Jack at the Vietnam Memorial in DC. That makes me think his brother died in the Vietnam War. Although I do have to wonder if the Army would really put two brothers in the same unit--maybe they do that, I don't know. But I have to wonder if Jack was there when his brother was killed.

As to the Kevin storyline--it seems odd to me that a Hollywood actor would have to doctor-shop to get drugs. Not that it's okay, but it seems like there are plenty of doctors surrounding the movie industry, that would get him whatever he needs.

maybe their father never forgave jack for not saving brother.

Brothers dog tags are in that box. At fire, jack runs back in to save box of brothers things. Dog tags on front seat when Rebecca is driving the car after the fire.

Sophie...is preg in real life so maybe at some point she needs to be gone for a while

Oooh, all good thoughts!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter