This Is Us- Season two

I seem to recall--and for all I know, this could be a figment of my fevered imagination--a scene with Jack at the Vietnam Memorial in DC. That makes me think his brother died in the Vietnam War. Although I do have to wonder if the Army would really put two brothers in the same unit--maybe they do that, I don't know. But I have to wonder if Jack was there when his brother was killed.

As to the Kevin storyline--it seems odd to me that a Hollywood actor would have to doctor-shop to get drugs. Not that it's okay, but it seems like there are plenty of doctors surrounding the movie industry, that would get him whatever he needs.

True, but he was kind of shunned by Hollywood I think when he had his outburst and walked off the Manny set. I think this Ron Howard movie was his shot at redemption. He may not have the star status back yet in Hollywood.

I'm wondering if Jack is a twin. They seem close in age?? I also thought that they both joined the service to get away from their dad and the brother was killed over there and Jack has never forgiven his father for it.

Is Sophie a doctor or a nurse? She knew Jack was drunk at the fund-raiser, probably because she could smell his breath, but wouldn't she also see the sweating as drug withdrawal?

The Kevin addiction thing seems just weird to me. I listen to a lot of stories of drug abuse in my volunteer work, but I've never gotten the feeling that opiate addiction happened SO fast, but I'm definitely not an expert. I mean I've heard about crack in the 80s being a super fast addiction, but most of the actual people I've met that have had to deal with this irl, start out taking it for real reasons, and it spirals slowly. That makes the whole thing with his issue seem very forced.

My sister's father-in-law got addicted to his pain killers after knee surgery. Nobody (including him) realized he had an addiction till he started to doctor-shop when his original doctor said "no more refills." (He ended up getting help and never bought any illegally or anything like that, but some people continue down that path.) Anyway, when Kevin was talking to his doctor's office, he said things like "I know I've used all the refills. I know you already refilled it one more time than you should have, but if you could just..." So I think it has probably been developing over weeks/months. It did seem sudden from our vantage point, but I think they jump around in the timeline pretty liberally. It's hard to know how many days post-injury we are.

I'm wondering if Jack is a twin. They seem close in age?? I also thought that they both joined the service to get away from their dad and the brother was killed over there and Jack has never forgiven his father for it.

That could be, but I believe the draft was still in effect (it was for my cousins), so they would have joined because they had to, and could have joined early to get away from their father.

I thought the other one looked a little younger, but maybe that was just because he was sleeping in the back seat. If he was younger, though, the dad might have told Jack to look out for him, and he feels guilty that he couldn't save him. I'm sure we will get more pieces of this!

Is Sophie a doctor or a nurse? She knew Jack was drunk at the fund-raiser, probably because she could smell his breath, but wouldn't she also see the sweating as drug withdrawal?

A nurse, I think. She seemed to me to be having a "been there" feeling, though. Do you think he had a drinking problem when they dated before?

Holy crap! I just was rewatching in the background, and the episode has one of my favorite current acts - Father John Misty's Ballad of a Dying man in it! So neat.

My thoughts from the episode:

1) surprised to find out Jack had a brother - hope we see more of that story - makes sense that he wants his boys to be close - I knew the dad wasn't returning to the car in a timely manner - have had my share of dealing with addicted family members and could see that coming

2) on that same note, like many of you, I hate to see Kevin traveling this journey; hope he gets help very soon and that Sophie is part of that help

3) LOVE the Deja storyline - wasn't sure at first that I would but feel it's adding good depth - love how the childhood camping scene reveals what we're seeing in Randall today, how he comes on strong and needs to give people space at times, definitely see that with his approach with Deja but feel like he has turned a corner and will hopefully find a better balance now - seeing the notes in his little boy notebook broke my heart and makes me wonder if he struggles with some sort of undiagnosed social cue reading issue and works really hard at overcoming it

4) unlike many of you, I was enjoying the Toby in the coffee house scene UNTIL he dumped the water on his head and then said let's go - that made me super mad on behalf of the store employees - rude and insensitive of him to do that - dropped my affection for Toby down a few notches

5) I knew what Jack's words were going to be before he even said them during the dying dad phone call - I understand his feelings completely

6) between the addiction storyline, the abuse Deja has obviously suffered, and the broken relationships, this story hits a bit too close to home this season - still, I love the show and will stick with it

I'm kinda annoyed that that Randall didn't say anything to Kevin about being drunk. Sophia noticed why didn't Randall?

I don't think they boys were twins. The one seemed much younger then Jack.
I love Toby he just grows more and more and more on me each show.
I hate we are going to see Kevin hit rock bottom and hard.

I also was unsure about the Deja story line, but I love it. I miss Randall and William so much, but I am liking Randall and Deja and everything it is bringing out of Randall i.e. him coming on strong, him trying too hard, Beth trying to reel him in a little bit etc.

The conversation about veiled racism made me uncomfortable at first too but in the after show Sterling said it’s a conversation that happens much sooner in the African American community because it has to. It really made me stop and think about it.

Actually when I went back to it a second time I was wrong anyway wenrob. Young Randall did ask the question first. So that blows my thoughts out of the water. He asked how does that make Grandma racist? or something to that effect.

And to be clear it was not anything about squashing what was happening. I am all for that part. And explaining somewhat and protecting my child.

On the second go around I was watching it with someone who is black. First, she is one person. And that certainly does not mean it is more valid than Sterling's and others' perspective. Obviously. I am laughing as I write that
because we know some white people think like that --- that one action/one thought means all. Smiling. Part of the issue that society faces.

But it was interesting to me ---

I asked directly what her thoughts were on their conversation. She instantly said that she would never have wanted that conversation at a young age. Because she has now realized that there were a multitude of instances of veiled racism growing up. And she had absolutely no clue. And was happy not to have known at the time.

And firmly thinks being oblivious is a wonderful thing at times. Especially in childhood

Last edited:
I'm kinda annoyed that that Randall didn't say anything to Kevin about being drunk. Sophia noticed why didn't Randall?

I don't think they boys were twins. The one seemed much younger then Jack.
I love Toby he just grows more and more and more on me each show.
I hate we are going to see Kevin hit rock bottom and hard.
I think Randall can only focus on one thing at a time.

I just can't with Toby. Just can't.

I can't stand people that must be "on" all the time. Exhausting. George Clooney is often like that. Yes I just compared Toby to George Clooney. :rotfl2:

Always the need to be funny and seen. I love funny, but there are times not to be a show. Like in a coffee house with water.

I can't stand people that must be "on" all the time. Exhausting. George Clooney is often like that. Yes I just compared Toby to George Clooney. :rotfl2:

Always the need to be funny and seen. I love funny, but there are times not to be a show. Like in a coffee house with water.

And I think that the same part of Toby that needs to be on, funny and seen is the same part that gets all upset and whiny when Kate is focused on her own brother. Or herself for that matter.

You know George Clooney!?! Neat! :thumbsup2

You know George Clooney!?! Neat! :thumbsup2

Facetious you.

I can't stand when someone always seems to need a funny line. George Clooney seems very much like that in interviews. Better? :goodvibes

OT but I ran into him once in Toronto. He is much smaller than I ever perceived.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter