Tower of Terror 10 Miler 2014

For those that have done the EEC, Was it a lot of fun? How were the obstacles? Would you do it again?

That's what I'm hoping.
Thank goodness for early registration with the AP.
Cause Wine and Dine '15 is going to have some TofT folks jumping on board. :)

I should be getting my AP in February, so this year I plan on taking advantage of that for wine and dine! I had an AP for the first time last year and didn't know I could register for the PHM early. Could have avoided that whole mess! Can anyone tell me usually how early the AP registration opens?

I unfortunately did not have a great race. After an IT band injury exactly one week before the race I took the whole week off. But by mile 1 my knee was already acting up. By mile 2 it was horrible. I basically winced the entire race and kept stopping to walk or slather on biofreeze. Someone actually stopped and asked if I was ok around mile 5 - thank you to that person for being so sweet! Around mile 6 I finally started putting my weight on the other leg and stiffening up my left. That allowed me to finally start getting somewhere at least. I ended up around an average 13 min pace. But, at the end I was feeling disappointed and just wanted to attempt to run normally so I at least closed out with a 10 min mile. My brother, mom and her boyfriend were watching and got a great spot front row. Then 30 seconds before I came around the last turn their phone died. So I have a blurry photo on my brother's phone that he says is a group of runners that ran in front of me as he tried to take one :rotfl2:

By the end of the race I wasn't even winded so it just didn't feel as exciting. SO, the new goal is a 10 min pace for PHM and then lots of time to prep for wine and dine 2015! Oh, and really hoping TOT is only gone for the one year so they can get some construction done and then open it again!

The AP and DVC registration window opens the week prior to the general public and it is a big help. They also put a limit on how many spots can register early. This is a big part of why the races sell out so fast

My wife and I had a great but exhausting weekend last week. Went by way too fast.

I PRed my time at 1:25:05 and came in 396th overall. Couldn't believe how great the weather was.

I'm so sad that ToT isn't coming back. I am hoping it was due to construction interfering and not that run Disney didn't like the race. It's been our favorite. We've run it all 3 years since the inaugural race. I guess we'll be aiming for the Wine & Dine 1/2.

My wife and I had a great but exhausting weekend last week. Went by way too fast.

I PRed my time at 1:25:05 and came in 396th overall. Couldn't believe how great the weather was.

I'm so sad that ToT isn't coming back. I am hoping it was due to construction interfering and not that run Disney didn't like the race. It's been our favorite. We've run it all 3 years since the inaugural race. I guess we'll be aiming for the Wine & Dine 1/2.

Hopefully you're pretty proud of yourself for those results. (You need to update you signature with your new times) But to see the progress you have made from year to year is pretty impressive. You didn't just jump a couple spots each year, more like a couple hundred sports. Clearly a lot of work was put into your training. I had a goal of top 500 and I finished in 637th. Hopefully this races comes back in the future so I can try to improve like you did.

I understand why people are upset at the cancellation of this race. It was a great time. And its a good distance as well. To anyone who runs a 5K and 10K the 1/2 marathon could seem so intimidating, which makes the 10 miler a great distance.

There must be something big coming in the parks for them to cancel the race though, given the popularity of runDisney events.

One question about the race certificates though. Mine is in black and white. Are everyone's or is there something wrong with my computer.

One question about the race certificates though. Mine is in black and white. Are everyone's or is there something wrong with my computer.

mine is in black and white as well. There was another to chose from and I think it was in color. But I think it's designed to be black and white because the twilight zone was black an white

There were two different ones you could download.

One was black and white.
The other, black, white and orange. It's the one I have posted in my cubicle. :)

Sundial, thanks!

For those that have done the EEC, Was it a lot of fun? How were the obstacles? Would you do it again?

I had a fabulous time. The obstacles aren't bad at all. Jumping bales of hay, running through tires, crawling under ropes. Except for the tires, you could by-pass all of them easily, if you really wanted to.

The first clue of the scavenger hunt really stumped me, but then the rest was easy.

I'd totally do it again.

I didn't have any issue's with knee/leg pain at all. I guess it helped that I trained on the side of the roads to get used to the "crown" effect. Every 1/4 of a mile or so I would switch sides of the road. I also stayed on the sides of Osceola Parkway while jogging. It was a lot less crowded on the sides.
::yes:: I train in coastal Fl, where the roads/sidewalks/paths are all steeply cambered, so I'm used to it by now. And ITA - the key is alternating sides regularly.

I did it in 2012 with my then 9yo son - we had a blast! Obstacles were super easy: go over hay bales (or around), through tires, under a net (or around.) Honestly, we were expecting more of a challenge, so that was a little disappointing, but still fun! We were epically terrible at the clue hunt, but the CMs will give hints or outright answers if you're lost... which I was, without my reading glasses. ;) I'm excited to do it again!

I unfortunately did not have a great race. After an IT band injury exactly one week before the race I took the whole week off. But by mile 1 my knee was already acting up. By mile 2 it was horrible. I basically winced the entire race and kept stopping to walk or slather on biofreeze. Someone actually stopped and asked if I was ok around mile 5 - thank you to that person for being so sweet! Around mile 6 I finally started putting my weight on the other leg and stiffening up my left. That allowed me to finally start getting somewhere at least. I ended up around an average 13 min pace. But, at the end I was feeling disappointed and just wanted to attempt to run normally so I at least closed out with a 10 min mile. My brother, mom and her boyfriend were watching and got a great spot front row. Then 30 seconds before I came around the last turn their phone died. So I have a blurry photo on my brother's phone that he says is a group of runners that ran in front of me as he tried to take one :rotfl2:

By the end of the race I wasn't even winded so it just didn't feel as exciting.
:hug: I am so sorry. You just described my first TOT - nearly identical situation. And I so get that feeling of not feeling like you put much effort in and being sort of a letdown. After a while, I felt better about it, though - 10 miles is 10 miles, no matter the speed, right?! And rehabbing the ITBS was a major coup. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope your next race is 1000 times better!

Hopefully you're pretty proud of yourself for those results. (You need to update you signature with your new times) But to see the progress you have made from year to year is pretty impressive. You didn't just jump a couple spots each year, more like a couple hundred sports. Clearly a lot of work was put into your training. I had a goal of top 500 and I finished in 637th. Hopefully this races comes back in the future so I can try to improve like you did.

Thanks! I think the weather helped out significantly. I'm quite proud of my time considering I've only been a runner since about 4 years ago. Now to bring on the Avengers 1/2 in a month!

It was very nice to (briefly) see other board member AThrillingChase at the airport. I'm sure you'll have a great race in February with the Princess 1/2.

There were two different ones you could download.

One was black and white.
The other, black, white and orange. It's the one I have posted in my cubicle. :)

Sundial, thanks!

I found the color version. When I first went to download the B&W was first and I was so excited to be able to download the certificate I never moved down to keep looking. My printer isn't working but once it does I will be printing both. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Thanks! I think the weather helped out significantly. I'm quite proud of my time considering I've only been a runner since about 4 years ago. Now to bring on the Avengers 1/2 in a month!

It was very nice to (briefly) see other board member AThrillingChase at the airport. I'm sure you'll have a great race in February with the Princess 1/2.

I sat next to another runner of the ToT on the plane home. Still being excited about the experience I was trying to talk to her about the race but she was a runDisney veteran so she wasn't as excited as I was to talk. :)

I am about to get philosophical so be warned. I can't believe how much running has changed me ( I mention it because you said you have only been running for 4 years and you're proud of your time). I have been listening to the Marathon Show podcast and he has interviewed many different people about how running has changed their lives. As I am listening I keep saying, "Yep, me too." I used to HATE running. I normally am not one to talk to strangers but at the pre-race "party" I was talking to people and people are so nice in this "running community". I talked to a woman on the bus to the way to the race. She was so helpful and supportive. She has run Chicago 10 times, Boston 3 times, and MANY Disney races to name a few. My point is, she is a good runner and she didn't need to help me, but she did. I have only been running 7 months now. I have a lot to learn but it is becoming so fun. With winter coming I am adjusting my goals for next year already. I just hope to be able to pay it forward in the future to other newer runners.

On top of the people, the running itself is so great. Crossing the finishing line, seeing the improvement in my health, dropping 30 lbs to-date is mostly because of running.

I am 6 days from my marathon. My blisters still aren't healed. I am getting nervous but I can't wait to see how good it feels to cross that finishline on Sunday given how proud I felt after the 10K and ToT.

OK, enough of my rambling. Hopefully I didn't bore anyone.

I normally am not one to talk to strangers but at the pre-race "party" I was talking to people and people are so nice in this "running community". I talked to a woman on the bus to the way to the race. She was so helpful and supportive. She has run Chicago 10 times, Boston 3 times, and MANY Disney races to name a few. My point is, she is a good runner and she didn't need to help me, but she did. I have only been running 7 months now. I have a lot to learn but it is becoming so fun. With winter coming I am adjusting my goals for next year already. I just hope to be able to pay it forward in the future to other newer runners. On top of the people, the running itself is so great. Crossing the finishing line, seeing the improvement in my health, dropping 30 lbs to-date is mostly because of running. I am 6 days from my marathon. My blisters still aren't healed. I am getting nervous but I can't wait to see how good it feels to cross that finishline on Sunday given how proud I felt after the 10K and ToT. OK, enough of my rambling. Hopefully I didn't bore anyone.

I totally agree with this. I was nervous too and talked to a couple people in the corral and everyone was so nice and it really helped settle my nerves. I've been trying to do my best to help encourage friends here that are just getting into running too. I think I've talked a couple people into training for and doing Princess 2016 with me :) and like you said, I've actually grown to enjoy running when I used to be one of those people who would say I would run only if something was chasing me. Good luck on the marathon! Please come back and update us.

I sat next to another runner of the ToT on the plane home. Still being excited about the experience I was trying to talk to her about the race but she was a runDisney veteran so she wasn't as excited as I was to talk. :) I am about to get philosophical so be warned. I can't believe how much running has changed me ( I mention it because you said you have only been running for 4 years and you're proud of your time). I have been listening to the Marathon Show podcast and he has interviewed many different people about how running has changed their lives. As I am listening I keep saying, "Yep, me too." I used to HATE running. I normally am not one to talk to strangers but at the pre-race "party" I was talking to people and people are so nice in this "running community". I talked to a woman on the bus to the way to the race. She was so helpful and supportive. She has run Chicago 10 times, Boston 3 times, and MANY Disney races to name a few. My point is, she is a good runner and she didn't need to help me, but she did. I have only been running 7 months now. I have a lot to learn but it is becoming so fun. With winter coming I am adjusting my goals for next year already. I just hope to be able to pay it forward in the future to other newer runners. On top of the people, the running itself is so great. Crossing the finishing line, seeing the improvement in my health, dropping 30 lbs to-date is mostly because of running. I am 6 days from my marathon. My blisters still aren't healed. I am getting nervous but I can't wait to see how good it feels to cross that finishline on Sunday given how proud I felt after the 10K and ToT. OK, enough of my rambling. Hopefully I didn't bore anyone.

Yup, isn't the running community awesome?! :)

Good luck at your marathon!!! Someone (or myself) may have already asked but what race are you doing?

So fun to read about everyone's experiences - congrats all...we did it! :cool1:

I just got back on Friday from the ToT trip - had an amazing time with my first rD event and learnt a lot which I can apply to Dopey...insanity for signing up for that, I know! :upsidedow

The nite before ToT, I watched Fantasmic! with a friend and then when we closed the park down, he was heading back to his resort to meet up with his SO. It was my last chance to experience Maelstrom before its permanent closing so I foolishly power walked to Epcot - it was closing in 40 minutes! I felt fine but the next day realized that I had given myself a small blister under my foot and even worse a knot in my calf.

I went to the expo first thing on Sat and I could feel the foreboding knot...ugh! A visit to "the stick" booth, where the guy rolled so hard I had to pull away, wasn't the miracle I was hoping for. I headed to DTD for lunch & some shopping & every step was painful. I carbo-loaded at Portobellos then ditched the shopping hoping to give my calf a break. I didn't think I could finish the race which really bummed me as my training had been going well.

I went down solo for this trip and phoned my Training Buddy and it was a great relief when he said not to worry if I took a DNF - the big goal was Dopey and not to jeopardize that. He told me to go to the pool & do the exercises he did when he had a bad calf strain, take the race VERY slowly - especially the first 3 miles as I tend to get caught up in the excitement of race start, and to really monitor how my calf was doing.

Altho I was reluctant to go to the pool, it helped amazingly! Especially when I used a jet to massage the calf. I felt so much better just walking back to the room so I was pretty hopeful.

Anyhoo - to make a long story longer...I started at the very back of my D corral as to not impede others in it, and ran with TB's words as my mantra. Here's how it went:

Mile 1 - don't know if I'm gonna make it
Mile 2 - wow, mile 1 was really long
Mile 3 - I can do this, it's loosening up - I can do this!!!
Miles 4-10 - OMGravy, this is soooo much fun!!!

I enjoyed all of the miles, even the ones others had complained about - the long hwy to AK allowed me to find my rhythm, trail to ESPN was dry and even and lit well enough and I just used my intervals thru it, ESPN was interesting with lots to see.

Walkers & runners used good race etiquette, lots of water stops, fun characters along the way - even tho I'm not a villians-type girl, I stopped for a few characters. I was so happy & excited I ran the last mile thru the Studios just gleeful. Given my injury earlier in the day, I am delighted with my sub 2:10 finish, even with stopping for a few pics.

The walk to gear pickup was a good cool down. I didn't see any changing tents and was happy to have a restroom stall to change in with lights, garbage, and hooks to use. All in all a really fun race that I was looking fwd to doing again - sad I can't now, I know.

I was really surprised at the huge crowds the Villains Bash! I met up with running & spectator friends and did a few attractions together - ToT's posted 60 min wait was really 20 mins - but my friends bowed out around 2:30 so I closed out the party myself, running into Cruella - I was the last one into the queue - who stayed for pics til close to 4am! She was great right to the end!

I have never been so happy running! I did MNSSHP on Sunday, and the parks for the next 4 days, closing them all down :lmao:. However, this caught up with me as I dogged my entire 5.5 mile Sat run.

My first real solo trip and it was amazingly fun! This was an awesome event for me - I am sure it is because of all the info on this thread helped me be prepared for it - and am really looking fwd to marathon weekend now.

Thx a mint to all on this thread for their tips and sharing - reading all the stories was inspiring and I sent a virtual cheer to each one of you on as you overcame your injuries and obstacles. This was such a great thread that I'm going to see of there's one for marathon weekend. :goodvibes

cheers,
:)

The nite before ToT, I watched Fantasmic! with a friend and then when we closed the park down, he was heading back to his resort to meet up with his SO. It was my last chance to experience Maelstrom before its permanent closing so I foolishly power walked to Epcot - it was closing in 40 minutes! I felt fine but the next day realized that I had given myself a small blister under my foot and even worse a knot in my calf.

I went to the expo first thing on Sat and I could feel the foreboding knot...ugh! A visit to "the stick" booth, where the guy rolled so hard I had to pull away, wasn't the miracle I was hoping for. I headed to DTD for lunch & some shopping & every step was painful. I carbo-loaded at Portobellos then ditched the shopping hoping to give my calf a break. I didn't think I could finish the race which really bummed me as my training had been going well.

I went down solo for this trip and phoned my Training Buddy and it was a great relief when he said not to worry if I took a DNF - the big goal was Dopey and not to jeopardize that. He told me to go to the pool & do the exercises he did when he had a bad calf strain, take the race VERY slowly - especially the first 3 miles as I tend to get caught up in the excitement of race start, and to really monitor how my calf was doing.

Altho I was reluctant to go to the pool, it helped amazingly! Especially when I used a jet to massage the calf. I felt so much better just walking back to the room so I was pretty hopeful.

Anyhoo - to make a long story longer...I started at the very back of my D corral as to not impede others in it, and ran with TB's words as my mantra. Here's how it went:

I enjoyed all of the miles, even the ones others had complained about - the long hwy to AK allowed me to find my rhythm, trail to ESPN was dry and even and lit well enough and I just used my intervals thru it, ESPN was interesting with lots to see.

Walkers & runners used good race etiquette, lots of water stops, fun characters along the way - even tho I'm not a villians-type girl, I stopped for a few characters. I was so happy & excited I ran the last mile thru the Studios just gleeful. Given my injury earlier in the day, I am delighted with my sub 2:10 finish, even with stopping for a few pics.

The walk to gear pickup was a good cool down. I didn't see any changing tents and was happy to have a restroom stall to change in with lights, garbage, and hooks to use. All in all a really fun race that I was looking fwd to doing again - sad I can't now, I know.

Great post, thanks for sharing your experience! I feel you on the doing too much the day before the race. We went to the Halloween party thinking that was better than a full day in the park. But between the expo in the morning and the afternoon/evening in the park, it was probably just as much walking. My feet were killing me after the race and I think that it was due to all the walking the day before since that didn't happen during my long training runs. We spent a lot of the afternoon Saturday before the race in the pool and I felt like that was a good plan.

I posted on my blog about my race experience at http://runningandenjoying.blogspot.com/2014/10/tower-of-terror-10-miler-part-1.html

So fun to read about everyone's experiences - congrats all...we did it! :cool1:

I just got back on Friday from the ToT trip - had an amazing time with my first rD event and learnt a lot which I can apply to Dopey...insanity for signing up for that, I know! :upsidedow

I was really surprised at the huge crowds the Villains Bash! I met up with running & spectator friends and did a few attractions together - ToT's posted 60 min wait was really 20 mins - but my friends bowed out around 2:30 so I closed out the party myself, running into Cruella - I was the last one into the queue - who stayed for pics til close to 4am! She was great right to the end!

I have never been so happy running! I did MNSSHP on Sunday, and the parks for the next 4 days, closing them all down :lmao:. However, this caught up with me as I dogged my entire 5.5 mile Sat run.

My first real solo trip and it was amazingly fun! This was an awesome event for me - I am sure it is because of all the info on this thread helped me be prepared for it - and am really looking fwd to marathon weekend now.

Thx a mint to all on this thread for their tips and sharing - reading all the stories was inspiring and I sent a virtual cheer to each one of you on as you overcame your injuries and obstacles. This was such a great thread that I'm going to see of there's one for marathon weekend. :goodvibes

cheers,
:)

Klam-Chowder- nice story. Glad you had fun and had a good race that you finished injury-free. I am jealous you are going back for marathon weekend. I so badly wish I was. I think when I am able to go back for my next rD race that it will be between marathon weekend or Wine and Dine.

They do have a thread for marathon weekend. I have begun reading it because I want to gather info so I can make educated choices for my next race, as opposed to just picking based on distance like it did for ToT.

DisneyHorseLover- yes, the running community is awesome. I am doing the Baystate Marathon in Lowell, MA.

Howdy Fellow runners.

I have decided to run in the 2015 St.Jude Country Music 1/2 Marathon in Nashville, Tn on April 25th. This of course is my hometown race and always told myself I would run once I quit smoking and overall got healthier.

Instead of just paying my registration and being done with it, I decided it would be a better use of my time if I helped raise money for St. Jude Children's Hospital of Nashville. Like all of us as parents and loved ones, Charities like this one hit us deep in our hearts, even if our kids are perfectly healthy.

I will throw out a personal challenge, whoever donates the most will have the option to choose what color tech shirt, shorts and compression socks I wear and a phrase/saying on the tech shirt.

And on top of that, if I am in the top 5 of fundraisers for the CMM by race day. I will hold tattoo suggestions and voting. The most popular choice, I get tattooed on me.

Thank y'all for any and all support however large or small and even if you cannot donate, word of mouth is an awesome tool! Here's the link to my personal fundraising page: http://fundraising.stjude.org/site/TR/Heroes/Heroes?px=2917088&pg=personal&fr_id=23820I will also be selling stuff on eBay and the Net after eBay and Paypal fees will go towards fundraising. Seller : movingsell21 Thanks again for your time!

Moose- My son was part of a fundraiser like this for Boston Children's Hospital as a patient. I know how hard it is to raise money. I just started my job this week and haven't gotten my first check yet. I would like to donate but won't be able to until at least next week. I am assuming the deadline is a bit in the distance and I have time?

I won't be the biggest donor but I'd like to give something.

I hope to run the Boston Marathon (one of my bigger goals) in the future and do it for charity for Boston Children's to pay them back for all they have done for my son. I would like to think the nice people on this site would help so hopefully I am not the only one willing to help you.

Moose- My son was part of a fundraiser like this for Boston Children's Hospital as a patient. I know how hard it is to raise money. I just started my job this week and haven't gotten my first check yet. I would like to donate but won't be able to until at least next week. I am assuming the deadline is a bit in the distance and I have time? I won't be the biggest donor but I'd like to give something. I hope to run the Boston Marathon (one of my bigger goals) in the future and do it for charity for Boston Children's to pay them back for all they have done for my son. I would like to think the nice people on this site would help so hopefully I am not the only one willing to help you.

The deadline is quite a ways off (race is April 25th) so you have plenty of time, I am touched by your thoughts and every little bit helps as you know first hand. These boards are full of very supportive people. If you don't mind I will PM you my email address, please feel free to contact me when you start your fund raising for Boston (also very high on my list) My thoughts and prayers to your son and your family!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter