Uh...Soarin'....50 feet in the air??!!

To the OP, don't ride.

Its almost like you need to hear permission not to ride.

For others reading, you can sit out a ride or two while at WDW (for any reason) & have a great time. There's no need to be 'talked through it' or have any special seat or set of circumstances. Your visit will not change if you do or do not ride this one ride.

Happy planning!

To the OP, don't ride.

For others reading, you can sit out a ride or two while at WDW (for any reason) & have a great time. There's no need to be 'talked through it' or have any special seat or set of circumstances. Your visit will not change if you do or do not ride this one ride.

Happy planning!

This is good advice. I have ridden ToT a number of times. But I have always been so scared. I love every other ride at WDW and Universal. RNRC Incrdible Hulk, no problem. But ToT and Dr Doom (@ Universal) send me in a panic. Something about those drops just scare my pants off. So a few years ago I finally gave myself permission to not ride those rides. Why am I doing that to myself? If you are terrified, don’t ride. There are plenty of other things to do.

As you are being put into the rows, tell the CM that you are afraid of heigths and ask to be put in row 3, even if you have to wait. That should put you in the lowest row and you should be good.

Row 3 is much closer to the ground, and should be easier for you to handle. I am pretty bad with heights, and have ridden even in row one (the highest row) quite a number of times. It bothers me a bit on the way up. Once the ride has lifted into place, I don't really have much trouble with it.

50 feet! It's not even close. I'd say it's closer to 12, 8 and 4 feet.

Yep to this. We always sit in the first row and it feels like 30 feet up.

I think you will be fine! I’m the worlds biggest ride wimp and can handle row 1 :o (I held on for dear life in Barnstormer and 7DMT and was panicking in the que ) my family can’t even get me on Big Thunder) and I love, love this ride.

You feel very secure with the belt, also just hold onto the side bars too. It’s truly a breathtaking (in a good way, not panic attack way) , scenic ride.

Yes as previous posters have said request row 3 or 2 (the CMs there are super-nice and accommodating ) and you will be just fine. :teeth:

Last edited:
My husband has the same fear of heights, and when we go on Soaring, there is an additional loop to put the strap in that is for extra safety for kids, but it works for adults as well, and this allows him to feel more safe and he can enjoy the ride.

So, if the top row is 50 feet up and the bottom row is 30 feet up, you are probably only going up about 20-25 feet from where you loaded, if that helps.

I will never ride Soarin' again. I've rode it several times, including at Disneyland, and I find it terrifying. I will ride anything else - all the thrill rides! But logically, I know how high up you are AND I just don't feel secure with the lap belt only. My kids are giggling and wiggling and I am having major anxiety. There were two times where I realized after the restraints were locked that I wanted off, but I couldn't get off. I finally decided I don't care how irrational my fear is, I am DONE with this ride! I'm going to try to meet Joy & Sadness while the family rides it.

Seriously, think about how high 50’ is. If you’ve been on the ride no way it climbs that high.

Edit: Apparently there is some debate around this. Interesting.

Last edited:

Agreed. I'd be more worried of the ride than the actual distance off the floor lol. Disney does a pretty good job with Soarin.
So true. Even if it’s only 20’ off the ground you’ll feel like youre hundreds of feet in the air, which may mess with someone afraid of heights more than anything.

Seriously, think about how high 50’ is. If you’ve been on the ride no way it climbs that high.

Edit: Apparently there is some debate around this. Interesting.

I'll revise my estimate that my toes would be 18, 12 or 6 feet off the ground depending in which row I was in, but you'd never get me to believe that the top row would rise the level or a 4-5 story building (50ft) off the ground.

I agree! I would’ve said 20’, but 50’???

http://blog.silive.com/goofy_about_...ghts-challenged_soarin_rider_is_grounded.html

When everyone was strapped into their seats, a cantilever system quickly and smoothly lifted the chairs up and into an area which contains a concave IMAX movie screen. The lowest of the three rows is about 30 feet off the ground, the highest about 50 feet up. There are handle bars on either side of your seat to hold onto, if you’re so inclined.

Guest buckle up on the Soarin' ride before being lifted about 40 feet into the air.

The above I pulled from the linked website. Not sure why a few of you are having such a hard time believing when I say I read the highest part of Soarin was 50ft. So there ya go...and there's a picture of the Imagineer who created the ride with the article. You guys don't have to believe it, I do. Please don't negate my fear with your disbelief that there's no way that ride goes that high. Considering the load area is 5 feet off the ground to begin with....

http://blog.silive.com/goofy_about_...ghts-challenged_soarin_rider_is_grounded.html

When everyone was strapped into their seats, a cantilever system quickly and smoothly lifted the chairs up and into an area which contains a concave IMAX movie screen. The lowest of the three rows is about 30 feet off the ground, the highest about 50 feet up. There are handle bars on either side of your seat to hold onto, if you’re so inclined.

Guest buckle up on the Soarin' ride before being lifted about 40 feet into the air.

The above I pulled from the linked website. Not sure why a few of you are having such a hard time believing when I say I read the highest part of Soarin was 50ft. So there ya go...and there's a picture of the Imagineer who created the ride with the article. You guys don't have to believe it, I do. Please don't negate my fear with your disbelief that there's no way that ride goes that high. Considering the load area is 5 feet off the ground to begin with....
It’s not about negating anyone’s fears. 5’ or 50’ if someone has anxiety about it they have every right to skip it and shouldn’t bat an eye over doing so. There are so many other attractions to enjoy. But as someone who has ridden it many times, if it felt like 50’ that would give me pause. The debate is over the height itself not where one should feel afraid or not.

If you decide to ride, don’t feel badly about making a request for the lowest row (3). Most people who make a row request are wanting the highest row (Row 1), which is what we request. They will be happy to put you on row 3 as most people want the opposite. I don’t have great advice on if you should ride it or not, but if you decide to ride, don’t hesitate to request row3 at all (I agree with OP to request B3 if you can because B are the three cars in the center of the theater, and row 3 of that will be the lowest row in the center of the theater for the best view/perspective).

This is good advice. I have ridden ToT a number of times. But I have always been so scared. I love every other ride at WDW and Universal. RNRC Incrdible Hulk, no problem. But ToT and Dr Doom (@ Universal) send me in a panic. Something about those drops just scare my pants off. So a few years ago I finally gave myself permission to not ride those rides. Why am I doing that to myself? If you are terrified, don’t ride. There are plenty of other things to do.

I agree with this too! I literally HATE rides that drop you straight down, and I know that I hate them. I did ride TOT and then Guardians at DLR one time each to “experience” them with my kids, but I won’t ever ride them again. They are just not fun for me, and I came off Guardians shaking so much I barely made it down the stairs at the ride exit!! My family understands, and I will ride almost anything else, just not that. So my little DD (who also doesn’t like straight down drops but rides every other ride in DLR, DCA and all of WDW) and I go find a PP photographer and get some photos or hit a churro stand or a shop. Everyone is happy.

Do what feels right to you, and have a great trip!

If you decide to ride, be aware that there are often long standby lines, unless you have a FP (tier 1), or get to Epcot at rope drop and head immediately to The Land. If you are already a bit anxious about going on the ride, a long wait will not be helpful. Depending on time of day and crowd levels, it can take up to almost 30 minutes to be seated with a FP and maybe 2-3x or longer without.

If you decide not to ride, you can always stay on the ground and watch on YouTube. It is a beautiful film with wonderful music. The only thing you won’t experience will be the smells at different locations visited. It is a short ride - about four minutes.

You have to decide what you will be comfortable with. You will be there to have fun and a good time. If you have serious concerns about the height, the ride is just not worth spoiling your day at the park; there are just so many other fun things you can enjoy. Don’t feel bad, if you decide to pass on it.

BTW, Soarin’ is one of my favorites, but I have no issues with heights (though a couple of family members have had).

I dont think anyone was trying to "negate your fears", merely surprised (since we've been on it and sounds like you havent) that it was raised 50'. Go on it, dont go on it, whatever you choose will be the right choice. I'm also horribly afraid to fly and of heights but decided a few years ago to not let it rule me, but that's me. Again, your choice!

One thought in general: it's easy to cancel (or "tap into") a FP if you decide last minute you don't want to do it. It's a lot harder to decide last minute that you want to!

This could be totally wacky ,but ... I have motion sickness but generally don't have a problem with heights. However, soarin does get to me a bit - one thing that helps me is just my turning my head a bit to look at the feet of the other riders - for whatever reason, doesn't make me feel like I'm up that high

I also have a fear of heights, but for me being belted in or secured in some way helps a lot. Like a PP, if I take two steps up a ladder I begin trembling and my legs get weak. However, riding up the big incline on a rolller coaster and looking around from a height while buckled in doesn’t bother me. Weird!
That’s so funny—me too!!! I’m also deathly afraid of spiders but no other bugs or critters. OP, don’t feel like “a big ol baby.” Phobias are irrational by definition. But I hope you get there and find you can enjoy it. And if not, hey you tried! Go have a pretzel/churro/Dole whip and enjoy the rest of your day!!! :)

It's kind of funny to me to see so many people sure that the building (and the rise of the ride) are so much shorter than they really are, because when Soarin' was being built, I can recall people were so concerned about how in the world WDW would hide the massive Soarin' building because it could be seen towering over everything in Canada and people didn't know how WDW would be able to fix it. :) Goes to show that Disney imagineering are very good at changing how we perceive the buildings...either to make them appear bigger, smaller, or to somewhat disappear. :)

To the OP: I agree with those who said that you shouldn't feel you need to ride it if you are so very anxious about it. I'd hate for you to be stressing the entire time leading up to the ride instead of being relaxed and having fun. You can always try it another time if you decide that you really want to conquer it. But if you decide to try it this trip, I hope it goes well for you and you are able to enjoy it. :)

OP, how old is your son? I ask because I will not do roller coasters so my DD has accepted that she will ride alone or not ride at all. Yes, rides are more fun with a companion but they are still fun. If he is over 7 years old, he can ride without you. Wait in line with him and take the chicken out exit when it is his turn.

If you do ride, use the extra belt between your legs. we had to do that with my mother because she was convinced that she was going to slip out.

To the OP, don't ride.

Happy planning!
But,on the other hand,until someone tries a ride at least once,they really won't know for sure if they like it or not.

For example,I was SURE I would not like RnRC because of the inversions and did not attempt to ride it for YEARS.

I was finally talked into riding it.

I did.

It is now one of my favorite rides at WDW.:)

Conversely,I was sure I would not like Mission:SPACE green,but went ahead and tried it one time.

I was right-ONE AND DONE!lol:)

But now I KNOW I love RnRC and don't like Mission:SPACE green,would not have known for sure if I had not tried them.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter