Victoria and Albert's Dilemma

Ponderer

Mouseketeer
Okay, so I have a bit of a dilemma. We're going to to WDW in October to celebrate my 50th birthday. We don't have an unlimited budget (we're right at $5500 for the whole 8-day trip), but we did want to do it up special. We booked V&As, which is where I also spent my 30th birthday, so it's mighty sentimental.

Here's the hiccup. I was just casually looking over the details in my prep, and since we booked, they've gone from the option of a 7 or 10 course menu to just the 10 course degustation menu. That's added a considerable amount of food to the evening, and more importantly, another $100 bucks to the evening's base cost.

I know that, yeah, if you're going to do V&A's, it's maybe not the most significant thing. But we were already juuuuuust making the budget work with the original numbers, and when you add taxes and tip, it starts to inch into nosebleed city. I certainly wouldn't mind the thought of spending less - or using that money to do other fun things. And we also don't want to waddle out of there miserably from packing in 10 courses. Even 7 was a lot for me the first time, and I'm a healthy eater.

But then again...it IS V&A's. And you only turn 50 once. I could probably nickel-and-dime some of my other budget items to make up the difference. I mean, I wouldn't be wanting to go back to throw money down the food hole if it wasn't spectacularly unique and special and, generally speaking, worth it.

Thoughts? What would you do?

Last edited:
We're taking a trip in October to celebrate my 30th birthday, and had originally planned to dine at Victoria & Albert's, but we ultimately balked at the cost. I am a major food lover, and I am really into the whole idea of a fine dining experience, but the cost, coupled with the time it would take out of a park day, made me rethink it. My mom and I ultimately decided to nix V&A's and book the Amorette's cake decorating experience instead.

That said, we have never been there, and thus don't know what we're missing. If it was a very special experience for you 20 years ago, my personal recommendation would be to go for it. Like you said, you only turn 50 once, and that is a pretty significant life milestone. Every review I've seen indicates that there's nothing like V&A's, and if the quality was incredible when you first went, I doubt very highly that it would be anything but incredible now.

I totally understand how hard a choice this is. It broke my heart a little to remove it from our plans, but every time I thought about the price my heart caught in my throat a bit, so I think I ultimately made the right choice for me.

Last edited:
I appreciate the thoughts a lot. My wife is at a writer's conference right now, but when she gets back, I think we're going to have to have a very nuts and bolts conversation.

(When in October are you going to be there, incidentally?)

I appreciate the thoughts a lot. My wife is at a writer's conference right now, but when she gets back, I think we're going to have to have a very nuts and bolts conversation.

(When in October are you going to be there, incidentally?)
We're there 9/29-10/6. We splurged and did the DxDP, so one of the other things we're doing that's extra special is the California Grill brunch, which I've heard almost universally great things about. And I'm a sucker for brunch.

I’d skip it. If you can’t comfortably eat 10 courses (I couldn’t either!) you’re not fully enjoying the entire experience. I’d cancel and book two or three special ADR/tour/extras instead.

We're there 9/29-10/6. We splurged and did the DxDP, so one of the other things we're doing that's extra special is the California Grill brunch, which I've heard almost universally great things about. And I'm a sucker for brunch.

Oh lordy, we seriously thought about the California Grill brunch, but we had a hard time contemplating that because it would've come the morning after V&A's, and that was just...hard to process. It takes more than an evening to feel really hungry again after V&A's. :) We wound up getting brunch ressies at Homecomin', which seemed a little less crazy than the mountains of grub at CG, and we miss Southern fried chicken in the 10 years since we moved to MA from TN.

If we do wind up canceling V&A's, I hope that it's not too late to find some F&W experiences to fit in.

Oh lordy, we seriously thought about the California Grill brunch, but we had a hard time contemplating that because it would've come the morning after V&A's, and that was just...hard to process. It takes more than an evening to feel really hungry again after V&A's. :) We wound up getting brunch ressies at Homecomin', which seemed a little less crazy than the mountains of grub at CG, and we miss Southern fried chicken in the 10 years since we moved to MA from TN.

If we do wind up canceling V&A's, I hope that it's not too late to find some F&W experiences to fit in.

I couldn't resist the pull of lobster eggs benedict. We're doing California Grill on our first full day there, so we'll still have plenty of space in our stomachs for it. I thought about adding some F&W experiences, but ultimately decided I'd rather just cruise the booths with our abundant snack credits, but that's a good option. We also booked the Wild Africa Trek at AK, which I've heard nothing but great things about, so if you're looking for a non-food experience, that might be worth looking into. It's also on the pricey side, though.

But then again...it IS V&A's. And you only turn 50 once. I could probably nickel-and-dime some of my other budget items to make up the difference.

Thoughts? What would you do?
I would go. And make up the difference by cutting some other things.

As you point out it's a wonderful restaurant and this is a special occasion. You know you don't need to clean your plate. Eat what makes you comfortable and enjoy the 50th!

I couldn't resist the pull of lobster eggs benedict. We're doing California Grill on our first full day there, so we'll still have plenty of space in our stomachs for it. I thought about adding some F&W experiences, but ultimately decided I'd rather just cruise the booths with our abundant snack credits, but that's a good option. We also booked the Wild Africa Trek at AK, which I've heard nothing but great things about, so if you're looking for a non-food experience, that might be worth looking into. It's also on the pricey side, though.

Ha! I looked at the Wild Africa Trek, but my wife would immolate me if I put her on a rickety bridge over alligators. It's hard enough to convince her to go on SDMT. :)

Your plan for CG is very intelligent, and I think you'll need the recovery time! We're doing CG on our first full day too, but that's a Tuesday and we're just doing dinner. I have wonderful memories of that too.

We went last year and picked the 7 course and even with that could only take a bite out of dessert. The thing with the new menu that bugs me is you don't get to choose anything like you did with the 7 course meal. I think since you've been already I'd ditch it and pick another big experience to do. I get the 50 birthday thing, when I turned 50 I told my honey and my son I was taking a big dive trip and they could go or not but I was doing it. The three of us went to Saba for a week and it was one of our best dive trips. It was pricey but so worth it.

The only other minor hitch is that although I've done it, my wife hasn't, and I'd love for her to have the experience. That said, though she's a food lover, it's not as big a deal for her as it is for me.

This is all a lot trickier than it should be. :charac2:

And you only turn 50 once.
And you only turn 30 once, 40 once, 60 once, etc. Sometimes I think we stress ourselves out to make a particular arbitrary day on the calendar 100% perfect - when in reality - any day you're alive is a great day to make a lifelong memory.

My 50th was wonderful - but pretty basic. I thought about all these "once in a lifetime" plans, then skipped them all in favor of an overnight stay at a nearby beach hotel a couple of hours away, sitting on a balcony overlooking an ocean, a glass of wine and the person that mattered most beside me. :cloud9: Not saying doing it up grand isn't great too - but the bottom line is just doing something that brings you joy.

I would use that considerable bucket of money to plan 2-3 new experiences that could potentially create equally wonderful memories vs revisiting something you've already done and reliving it. Your 30th experience is a perfect memory - now go add new ones for the 50th! :bday:

I’ve read reviews. I don’t think it’s actually a lot more food than the 7 course options.

Honestly there’s nothing else comparable to it at Disney. But only you can decide if it’s worth it. I’m planning to do it sometime in next year just because the new options look really good to me

Hi! My DH and I are spending our 50th birthdays together at a WDW this year, too. We’re meeting in the middle and celebrating both in October st Food and Wine: I’m September and he’s November.

Anyhow, I am a foodie and love a special restaurant experience. I love to eat! However, 10 courses would just be too much even spread out over an entire evening even for me. That coupled with the cost would put it in the ‘no’ category.

Have you considered an alternative like dining with an Imagineer? Or the Wanyama Safari that ends with dinner at Jiko? Those would be incredibly memorable experiences and perhaps you wouldn’t miss V&A’s so much.

I hope you are able to reach a decision that makes you happy and that you have an excellent birthday!

Edit: oh, I see that someone has already suggested the Safari. Great minds think alike!

The only other minor hitch is that although I've done it, my wife hasn't, and I'd love for her to have the experience. That said, though she's a food lover, it's not as big a deal for her as it is for me.

This is all a lot trickier than it should be. :charac2:
I'm travelling with my mom and that was also factored into my decision. While I would likely LOVE the experience (and can definitely eat a lot), my mom would enjoy it, but it's not something that she was feeling super enthused about. In the end, it didn't feel worth it to spend that kind of money if we weren't both thrilled with the idea.

We're still doing it, for the experience of it. It isn't necessarily 7 or 10 courses, just whatever the chef feels like doing that night, so I wouldn't be *too* concerned about that. And all I've heard about the service seems to indicate that if it's something you don't like or whathaveyou, they'll go out of their way to make you happy. *shrugs* dunno

I've been to V&A once, as I was curious to try it, but I didn't care for what to me seemed like an uppity atmosphere, plus I was able to get food that I like only by calling ahead. I appreciate that they accommodated my food preferences, but at most other restaurants I can find things I like without having to make special arrangements in advance.

What I would do in your situation is probably switch to Artist Point, if you'll be there by 10/28, which looks like the last day for which they are currently accepting reservations. They have some nice views there, too.

I've been to V&A once, as I was curious to try it, but I didn't care for what to me seemed like an uppity atmosphere, plus I was able to get food that I like only by calling ahead. I appreciate that they accommodated my food preferences, but at most other restaurants I can find things I like without having to make special arrangements in advance.

What I would do in your situation is probably switch to Artist Point, if you'll be there by 10/28, which looks like the last day for which they are currently accepting reservations. They have some nice views there, too.

We actually have AP scheduled for the night before (we’re staying at the WL, and we definitely wanted one night at our home resort). Love that place, and if it is changing to some other experience, glad I’ll be able to share it with my wife once.

The Safari ideas are interesting and I’m investigating those. I started looking into F&W events too - other than visiting the booths a ton, we’re light on those - but I fear that the ship has sailed on that. I would’ve been very interested in the Mediterranean pairing at Spice Road. But we’ll figure something out if V&A doesn’t happen!

It seems to me that this dining event change is not what you really want. I have never been so consider that I have no idea what I am missing, or if the difference would really have a negative impact on you overall experience.

I do not like to be at the far end of a vacation budget, and you’ve suggested you already are there before the upcharges this change added. Your spouse would like it, however not the way you would. At least would have before the change.

I’d probably skip it. You only turn 50 once, it’s true. However you will turn 55, 60, or whatever magical age signifies a celebration. I would not the stress or concern over a meal when there are just so many ways to add onto a celebratory trip.

I spent my 50th at Spice Road Table with my husband and kids last year. My husband called them ahead to surprise me with one of the best birthday cakes I have ever had in my life there. It was huge and some kind of vanilla. We were seated by the water and the white sangria was amazing! You don't need to spend a fortune to have a magical birthday meal at Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter