WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

We've got a trip booked April 29-May 7 and as of right this moment we are planning on going and would be very disappointed if it doesn't work out.

I think the only thing that would keep us from going would be if the parks/resorts closed or if there was some kind of travel ban where we live.

I do intend to be even more germicidal there than I usually am, which consists of a lot of sanitizing and hand-washing. I'd already purchased a container of Clorox wipes for the plane and room and now I'll probably take them to the parks as well. And will be even more OCD about keeping my hands clean and nowhere near my face.

If we do decide to cancel, we have room-only rezzes, so we'd do it 5 days ahead of time. Who knows what'll happen with airfare? But I can't be worried about it. My health is more important.

A product that people can think about.

It is called MICROBAN. It has 24 hour protection on all hard surfaces. Kills and protects against 99.9% for 24 hours.

Something people can use in their hotel rooms. I plan on using it during my 4 day stay in May at AK
FYI, I thought this sounded like an interesting product, and found this right on the product manufacturer's web page

What types of microorganisms do antimicrobial agents work against?
Microban antimicrobial protection is effective against most common bacteria, yeasts, molds and fungi that cause stains, odors and product degradation. Microban technology is not designed to protect users from disease causing microorganisms.

I mean in the end it's obviously a manner of personal accountability. They can sanitize and spray you with purell all you want but if the individual still doesn't practice safety measures there's really no point. I like seeing that lady take the huge tub of clorox wipes and disinfect the table they were about to use

We are packing tons of Clorox/Lysol wipes for the plane, rooms, and parks, although as the parent of a child with an allergy we already do this on planes and in our room anyways. I am not thankful for allergies but I am thankful they have helped teach my kids how to be effective hand washers.

It’s a bummer that even if we do go we’ll probably shy away from things like nighttime entertainment or at least certain ones/viewing locations that put us smack dab in the middle of a big crowd. Only so much you can do in terms of hygiene when you have someone hacking away right near you.

A modified trip is better than no trip though!

We will be there March 21-27. We have hand wipes and sanitizer we will be bringing. (But we do that anyway). Usually I just use those wipes on the plane table. But I’ll bring a baggie of Lysol wipes too.

The biggest change to our trip is we decided to rent a car. I can’t imagine the magical express busses will be sanitized like the plane will be. Also the crowded busses to the parks, there isn't a way they can clean them between riders.

I‘m not worried about being sick myself. But I don’t want to bring it back home and spread it. Here in Wisconsin we don’t have any spread of it. I don’t want to be *that* person. Also, My parents are over 65 and my dad has underlying conditions. They aren’t coming but I don’t want to quarantine myself from family :)

Is it really though? H1N1 was as contagious and had a higher complication rate that COVID 19 over a broader spectrum of the population. This is a respiratory virus that seems to be more problematic in older individuals, but really isn't that different from the many we have seen in the past. The difference is the hype surrounding it, not the hard data.
From the last statistics I saw, COVID 19 has a higher reproductive number than H1N1 — 1.45 vs 2.2 for Corona — making COVID 19 more contagious. Plus, the mortality rate for it is higher, although disproportionately skewed to the older population, unlike H1N1. H1N1 has a less than .1% mortality rate, whereas COVID 19 ranges from .7% in South Korea to 3.4% worldwide, by current WHO estimates. So, somewhere between 7 and 30 times more deadly than H1N1.

Reactions: rkw
I mean in the end it's obviously a manner of personal accountability. They can sanitize and spray you with purell all you want but if the individual still doesn't practice safety measures there's really no point. I like seeing that lady take the huge tub of clorox wipes and disinfect the table they were about to use
I’ve always been one to wipe down what I can on an airplane and in hotel rooms, and always have hand sanitizer with me. I agree about everyone doing their part with personal hygiene. The challenge at Disney in particular, though, is that the virus is can be transmitted within 6 feet, so there’s no way to avoid airborne droplets in lines for rides or at restaurants or waiting for a show or fireworks. Personal responsibility can only do so much in this situation. That said, we currently have a trip to Disneyland Paris planned for May, but I booked a WDW trip in May as a backup, in case Europe is a no-go. I just hope I’ll get to go on one of them!

FYI, I thought this sounded like an interesting product, and found this right on the product manufacturer's web page

What types of microorganisms do antimicrobial agents work against?
Microban antimicrobial protection is effective against most common bacteria, yeasts, molds and fungi that cause stains, odors and product degradation. Microban technology is not designed to protect users from disease causing microorganisms.

It DOES kill Coronavirus. It is listed on the back of the bottle and the EPA has it on its list of approved cleaners to use

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...s-epa-disinfectants-list-covid-19/4966691002/

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 25

We'll be at WDW next week. We plan to take appropriate cautions.

The recent crowds there would seem to indicate that most people are not cancelling. I don't wish for everyone to panic, but I kind of wish more people would be scared enough to postpone their trips... that might make touring the parks more manageable crowd-wise. 😉

I'll report back when we return if we noticed any easing of the crowds, but I expect it will still be a madhouse.

DH sells medical supplies. He has individual packaged hospital strength santiclothes that I'll be bringing with us. I am also bringing gloves for the wipes (Not good for your hands), but also wearing gloves at buffets. Honestly, worried about all germs, not just Coronavirus. Me catching something that would have me straining, like coughing or vomiting, would be bad for my newly discovered condition. 🙅‍♀️
He also has the good masks, and knows how to use them correctly, but I doubt we'll use those. We will bring some tho, just incase needed if things get crazy...
Fly out Saturday!

From the last statistics I saw, COVID 19 has a higher reproductive number than H1N1 — 1.45 vs 2.2 for Corona — making COVID 19 more contagious. Plus, the mortality rate for it is higher, although disproportionately skewed to the older population, unlike H1N1. H1N1 has a less than .1% mortality rate, whereas COVID 19 ranges from .7% in South Korea to 3.4% worldwide, by current WHO estimates. So, somewhere between 7 and 30 times more deadly than H1N1.
The morality rate for H1N1 pre vaccine was MUCH higher than that, and slightly higher than current COVID 19 numbers. In the early stages we saw 4 to 5%. That number fell dramatically when 2 things happened. Testing became more widespread and accurate, which mean that more of the less severe cases were being identified as H1N1 and not some other strain of flu, and a vaccine was developed. The same will happen here. Death rates in early stages of these things are always inflated because only the deathly ill or those very close to them know they have it, and there are a limited number of tests. Those tests are also often not super accurate early on. I think that the number of infected never tested or treated here. The death rate is and will remain inaccurate as a result. The reproductive number is also based on cases we know about now, and those are largely skewed toward an elderly population. Most people discussing it are of the consensus that that will go down as well, and this is not as contagious as the number makes it look.

For those of you who use sanitizing wipes on airplanes, could you give details about what you wipe down? I've never done this before but from now on it's going to be part of my regular routine. I'm thinking belt buckle, armrests, pull-down shade on window (widow seat sitter here), but can I wipe down the seat itself? I'm flying JetBlue and their planes have what I think is artificial leather seats.

Thank you if you know!

There's also the value of time added for H1N1 vs COVID 19. In the early stages of the H1N1 outbreak we were seeing numbers around the 4-5% mortality presented before it began to normalize back to the 0.1% that is presented now after the fact.

COVID 19 has only been known for less than 3 months and we've mostly only been following the more severe cases and have just started more discovery of the more mild cases throughout so the current mortality rate of this disease can't be viewed as a necessarily accurate number until there's an end in sight on this disease.

We shall see what happens going forward but it's hard to truly make an accurate comparison when H1N1 has more information available regarding it than the COVID19 at this time.

Can I remind everyone that the purpose of this thread is about planning a WDW trip with the current covid virus going around. Not sharing or debating statistics, not comparing it with other viruses/flu/or other illnesses. Strictly how it relates to HOW you're planning your trip.

There are plenty of other threads discussing latest updates, statistics, vaccines, sanitizers, etc. on the other threads @GADisneyDad14 posted on page 1.

If you want to discuss/share statistics/give personal opinions in general, please visit one of those threads. I'm currently on two others and I don't bring that stuff here. Some of us really wanted a thread in this section as we're currently planning an immediate trip and how the covid virus may/may not affect what we do, how we do it and when we do it as it relates to our theme park planning. If you're not currently planning a trip to WDW in the immediate future, this thread may not be helpful to you. For the rest of us planning, it is.

Thanks!

This thread is for COVID-19/Coronavirus discussion as is relates to Walt Disney World trip planning and the Walt Disney World theme parks.

Anything else will be considered off topic and will be removed with possible infraction points.
Again, this thread is located within the Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board - off topic posts are not permitted. Off topic, political, or alarmist/non-respectful discussion risk infraction points being awarded or this thread being closed, at the discretion of TPAS moderators.

The Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board is not a news outlet. Those seeking healthcare and virus related information / resources should consult with professional resources.

The biggest change to our trip is we decided to rent a car. I can’t imagine the magical express busses will be sanitized like the plane will be. Also the crowded busses to the parks, there isn't a way they can clean them between riders.
I was thinking about this last night. We will have a car, but I'm thinking we will NOT be taking the monorail into MK.
I also found 2 travel size Lysol sprays today..I am going to take that and spray the inside and outside of our backpack
Ooo, I'll have to look for those travel size! With having several cases not too far from me, our cleaning product aisles are picked clean. But maybe people are going for the big cans!
Is UT undercover tourist? I’ve only ever purchased tickets from Disney. Thanks for advice.. I will contact to see options
Yes, Undercover Tourist. We use them all the time.

All I know is I have 6 weeks to attempt to get my hands on additional hand sanitizer and wipes, everything over the top raided right now in my area (especially after a local resident getting it from international travel).

Good to see shanghai disneyland opening again and that things appear to be calming down in such short time in China as well.

For those of you who use sanitizing wipes on airplanes, could you give details about what you wipe down? I've never done this before but from now on it's going to be part of my regular routine. I'm thinking belt buckle, armrests, pull-down shade on window (widow seat sitter here), but can I wipe down the seat itself? I'm flying JetBlue and their planes have what I think is artificial leather seats.

Thank you if you know!
I wipe down the things you mentioned, plus the air conditioner knob and both sides of the tray table and the tray’s latch. I’ve also seen recommendations not to use the seat-back pocket, as people will often put tissues and other things in there. I’d love to hear if there’s anything else others do!

Apparently, Shanghai Disneyland park itself isn’t opening - just the restaurants and shopping area. But, look at these requirements to get in there (copied from Shanghai Disneyland website):

“The resort will provide an extensive range of measures, designed to ensure a safe and healthy experience for all guests, Cast Members and Disneytown tenant employees, including strict and comprehensive approaches on sanitization, disinfection and cleanliness. In accordance with relevant regulations, every guest entering Shanghai Disney Resort will be required to undergo temperature screening procedures upon their arrival, will need to present their Health QR Code when entering dining venues, and will be required to wear a mask during their entire visit. Guests will also be reminded to maintain respectful social distances at all times while in stores, queues and restaurants.”

I also found 2 travel size Lysol sprays today..I am going to take that and spray the inside and outside of our backpack. Great idea about putting things in ziplocks—will definitely put our snacks in those.
Never seen these but will definitely look for them!

Our first trip in 11 years is April 4-11 and we're still going. I am usually pretty good about hand washing and sanitizing but will for sure be even more so on this trip. And I plan on taking Lysol wipes with us and will be cleaning tables, etc before we sit down to eat.

I loved the tip a previous commenter said about putting things in ziploc bags to put in your bag to keep from things being touched.

Thank you if you know!
I've heard tray tables are some of the dirtiest things on a plane, so I'd definitely wipe all parts of that down. Also, I have seen that you should wipe down the air vents above your seat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter