What have you learned from previous sailings?

Which reminds me - you can order Uncrustables from room service. Ask for them to still be in the wrapper if you want to take them off the ship to snack on during excursions.
We're doing the resort day at Melia beach and I was thinking of ordering room service and taking a few items with us to the beach that we can eat for lunch. Uncrustables is a great idea.

@southerngirl528 DH and I spent many hours with Ari at the Cove on our last trip. He introduced my husband to Blanton's bourbon and he made him a special drink with it every night. I also told him - surprise me with the coffee cocktails and boy did he! He introduced me to Liquor 43 when he made me a density drink with espresso, liquor 43 and whipped cream.... OMG YUM! And he made me multiple different twists on the espresso martini. If you are ever on the Fantasy ask him to make you one of his special drinks. He won't disappoint you. ::yes::::yes::

Going to be on the Fantasy in less than 3 weeks, Bonnie1222!!! So thanks for both those tips!! I'll tell the DH too, as he is a bourbon fan. (not me! Bleh!) We shall look for Ari the magical bartender at The Cove Cafe!! :cutie: :thanks:

I am glad I travel with a small roll of duck tape keep the closet doors closed during periods of choppy seas. They rolled open and shut repeatedly one night on our first cruise, and I have sailed with a smallish roll on subsequent cruises.

I take whatever hangers we are not using and put them on the floor of the closet or under the bed, the noise they make drives me carazy :3dglasses

Going to be on the Fantasy in less than 3 weeks, Bonnie1222!!! So thanks for both those tips!! I'll tell the DH too, as he is a bourbon fan. (not me! Bleh!) We shall look for Ari the magical bartender at The Cove Cafe!! :cutie: :thanks:

Don’t forget to check other areas. One of the bartenders that I got to know at the Cove was not around a few months later. Happened to go by the champagne bar a couple days into the cruise and surprise, there he was. Since they may change assignements you can always ask if they are at a different location.

Don’t forget to check other areas. One of the bartenders that I got to know at the Cove was not around a few months later. Happened to go by the champagne bar a couple days into the cruise and surprise, there he was. Since they may change assignements you can always ask if they are at a different location.

Thanks, ScooterScott44! We surely will. :cutie: We've cruised enough to see crew from one ship to another, and one location to another. It's like seeing an old friend again, isn't it? Because we ARE seeing an old friend! I had a nice young crew member in Meridian Lounge recognize me from the Wonder. His face was SO familiar, but I could NOT place him other than his familiarity. What a nice young man with superb guest service!

Our favorite hangout on the classics is the Cadillac Lounge or Keys (that will always be "Sessions" to me!). It's quiet, pretty and has those great porthole windows to watch the sea go by. We have met some great crew working in those locations. :flower: Looking forward to meeting some great new crew on the Fantasy, and hopefully an old friend or 2!! :goodvibes

We learned on our first cruise that if anyone is having an upset tummy from the motion, you can ask for green apples, saltines, and ginger ale from room service. It helped a couple of my kiddos feel better.

I have to agree with others, our family enjoys getting to know the crew too; so many wonderful people. We’ve only cruised a few times but every time there were multiple crew members that went out of their way to make the trip that much more special for us. As a family of six, needing two rooms, I know there are less expensive options out there, but the crew keeps us coming back.

We learned on our first cruise that if anyone is having an upset tummy from the motion, you can ask for green apples, saltines, and ginger ale from room service. It helped a couple of my kiddos feel better.

Yes! This is exactly what the F & B officers will recommend for anyone struggling with some seasickness. :cutie:

Ginger ale is great for an upset stomach. Is it also available on the pool deck or is it only available through room service?
Room service, bars/lounges, and in the MDR. Not in the drink station. One thing, from room service, or the bars/lounges there's a cost. In the MDR they have ginger ale in THEIR drink fountain (at least on the Magic) so no cost.
magic 2016 galley tour P1090473 1500.jpg

But, I'll point out that Fanta ginger ale doesn't have much (if any) actual ginger in it.

Room service, bars/lounges, and in the MDR. Not in the drink station. One thing, from room service, or the bars/lounges there's a cost. In the MDR they have ginger ale in THEIR drink fountain (at least on the Magic) so no cost.

But, I'll point out that Fanta ginger ale doesn't have much (if any) actual ginger in it.

As I remember, when we called for the apples and saltines for seasickness, I don’t think they charged us for the ginger ale (the real stuff). Maybe they felt badly for us :confused3 Either way, I would happily pay for it as it really does help. It was our stateroom hostess who told us about it after seeing us come back to the room with a couple of green kids. (We’ve since learned that Dramamine Naturals (basically ginger tablets) work great for the kids with the occasional dose of benedryl at night.)

I no longer rush to get to port early. I like arriving around 1pm. check in lines are short, you can walk right on board, cabins are ready, and there is still time for lunch.

I also like to book cabins where the Muster Station is in a lounge or AP. Although necessary, I really dislike the muster drill, and I dislike it even more if I have to be outside on the deck. Especially if you are traveling with little kids, older folks, people with special needs, mustering inside is just so much easier.

The muster drill idea is so great. Which cabins are not on deck during the drill?

If you are going that soon you will also see our other favorite bartender Andrae! He works almost exclusively at the BonVoyage bar in the atrium. We missed him last cruise and will miss him again next trip. And Ari told us he works the cove 90% of the time. Have an awesome trip!!!

If you are going that soon you will also see our other favorite bartender Andrae! He works almost exclusively at the BonVoyage bar in the atrium. We missed him last cruise and will miss him again next trip. And Ari told us he works the cove 90% of the time. Have an awesome trip!!!

Thanks, Bonnie1222! :flower3: It will be our first time on the Fantasy, completing our Grand Slam! :cheer2: We will look for your favorites! Thanks for the tips! And the well wishes! Can't wait! :banana:

We're doing the resort day at Melia beach and I was thinking of ordering room service and taking a few items with us to the beach that we can eat for lunch. Uncrustables is a great idea.

You can also grab a couple things from Cabanas - bags of chips at lunch and mini boxes/bowls of cereal in the morning.

[QUOTE="southerngirl528, post: 59634517, member: 473639"

Hmmm, my must-order from room service? Well, I do love getting the light breakfast items brought early almost every day, (hang out the breakfast room service tag on the door the night before), like a carafe of coffee, milk and sugar for the coffee (I really am NOT much of a coffee drinker, LOL) and maybe a few pastries and bowl of fruit to nibble and sip while I get ready for my day. :sunny:[/QUOTE]

How is the coffee from room service? DH hates the coffee in Cabanas, so was wondering if room service was better?

This will be my first cruise without a Verandah so I was interested in the person who said she didn't think it was worth the extra expense. Hoping Deck 4 will be MY verandah! I guess the App is activated by the ship and not anything at PC? Looking forward to seeing how it works.

Haven't cruised in a while but my suggestion comes from Warren Zevon

"Do what makes you happy. It doesn't have to make sense to other people."

Want to give Goofy a hug? Go ahead (ask first!). Want to eat hot dogs for dinner every night? Go for it! It's YOUR cruise!

This will be my first cruise without a Verandah so I was interested in the person who said she didn't think it was worth the extra expense. Hoping Deck 4 will be MY verandah! I guess the App is activated by the ship and not anything at PC? Looking forward to seeing how it works.

Haven't cruised in a while but my suggestion comes from Warren Zevon

"Do what makes you happy. It doesn't have to make sense to other people."

Want to give Goofy a hug? Go ahead (ask first!). Want to eat hot dogs for dinner every night? Go for it! It's YOUR cruise!

I'm not the one that said verandah isn't worth the extra expense but I sailed with a verandah my first cruise. On my second I went with a friend who wanted to cut costs so we sailed on deck 2 with a port hole window. I used deck 4 much more and loved it. My next 2 cruises are with my family and DH and DM who will not sail without a verandah. DM has a hard time getting around so she enjoys sitting out on her verandah. After my second cruise I really found out how much I enjoyed deck 4 so I know I will be spending time there again. Plus you never know who you might see. MICKEY.JPG MINNIE.JPG GOOFY.jpg

I'll jump in now that I sailed on my first cruise this past weekend:

1. Disney cruising is addictive....very true
2. Castaway Cay is heaven
3. The room service menu is actually in the hardcover stateroom book....we actually called Guest services for this.
4. The elevators are completely useless. They are small and have a weird structure where they go down pick up people to only go back up, and by that time its already packed. Save the time and take the stairs (and burn calories) unless you can't.
5. Get to know and talk to some of the servers and cast members they usually have great stories and they love sharing their experiences etc..
6. I totally overpacked...didn't use half of the clothes I brought over
7. Everyone goes to Cabanas when the ship first opens so that first meal is pretty jam packed.
8. A lot of people get really creative with the door magnets. Will totally do this next time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter