What have you learned from previous sailings?

Keep your camera with you (or phone if you use the app). DH and I always say... do we need to carry the camera??? Last cruise the one night we didn't bring it Pluto was walking through the open area between the shops and theatre and just came up to me and started playing with me - licking me, letting me kiss him and pet him. And DH just watched us interact and had nothing to take pictures with. Then he left and found a little boy and got on the ground and let the boy scratch his belly. It was a priceless moment and a memory I will treasure. Wish we had pictures. I have also witnessed a water spout and incredible rainbows while walking the deck, again no pictures.

I don't carry a phone during the cruises - but will consider bringing an old one with decent picture capability OR buy a small camera that will fit in DH's shorts pocket just so I have something.
My camera is always on my wrist. Even in formal clothes. You just never know.
ariel dream 2014 autographs 14216 P1020433 1500.jpg cinderella wonder 2012  100_7127 1500.jpg daisy formal night wonder 2012 15054 100_6586 1500.jpg minnie wonder 2012 1985 100_6812 1500.jpg peter pan dream 2014 16170 P1020776 1500.jpg rapunzel magic 2016 2811 P1100168 1500.jpg snow white 15050 100_6579 1500.jpg stitch wonder 2012 15034 100_6705 1500.jpg turk wonder 2012 21172 100_7016 1500.jpg

I don't understand all of the comments saying once you go concierge you "won't or can't go back". We sailed concierge twice for our first 2 cruises. We have been on 3 more since then. 1 inside room, and 2 rooms that were verandah. We still had an amazing time and didn't miss concierge at all. We don't drink alcohol and while we loved the cabanas on CC, we don't feel like we have to have one. In fact, we have more fun without one since we don't feel like we have to stay in or around the cabana to get our money's worth. So if you can't sail concierge again, you can still have an amazing time, we do every time. We loved concierge, and if you can afford it, it's awesome, if you can't, it's no big deal, still an amazing time without it.

We loved concierge, and if you can afford it, it's awesome, if you can't, it's no big deal, still an amazing time without it.

We know we can't afford concierge on a regular basis. We will scrimp and save to do it one time, probably on a shorter cruise, just to say we did it. We normally do inside on short cruises and oceanview/verandah on longer, depending on the price.

Here are a few things we have learned on our cruises. The dinner menu is just a suggestion, I am not a fan of all the different foods but the rest of my family enjoys it. I am not a big coffee drinker but my daughter is and she says the coffee in the concierge lounge is the best she has had. although we have never ordered room service (we say we want to try), it is just easier to walk to the lounge and pick up something, it changes about every 2 hours. When getting on or off the boat, concierge is first or when ever they want. There is a private meet and great with a character on the concierge deck, just ask when it takes place. Drinks are free in the lounge as well as the mini frig. Popcorn is free in the lounge, just ask. To get gold or platinum status faster and cheaper go on a bunch of short cruises. Unless you are working for Disney, they count for your castaway club status. These are just a few things we have learned. Sorry about all the concierge stuff but after I met my wife, I wanted to impress her so I booked my first one then. Each year we say we will not go concierge but some where before the cruise it get changed. This last time was because we are taking the grand kids and the granddaughter wanted to do a princess gathering and a frozen gathering but they were sold out. We upgraded and were able to get tickets. By the way the gathering tickets are free but you have to have them in order to attend.

We're doing the resort day at Melia beach and I was thinking of ordering room service and taking a few items with us to the beach that we can eat for lunch. Uncrustables is a great idea.

You can only take food off the ship that is commercially packaged and factory sealed. Still-sealed uncrustables works for that, most other food you can get from room service does not.

SW

6) Most of the shows are available on YouTube so you can preview them before the cruise.

7) The pools and AquaDuck are dead during the shows so skip a show or two and take advantage.

On the Dream and Fantasy at least the shows are also available on the stateroom TV.

SW

You can only take food off the ship that is commercially packaged and factory sealed. Still-sealed uncrustables works for that, most other food you can get from room service does not.

SW
Yeah we plan on taking some granola bars, trail mix, chips and leftover Halloween candy. I’m guessing any sort of fruit is out, but what about water? Can I bring a tumbler filled with coffee or is it better to have everything sealed?

Yeah we plan on taking some granola bars, trail mix, chips and leftover Halloween candy. I’m guessing any sort of fruit is out, but what about water? Can I bring a tumbler filled with coffee or is it better to have everything sealed?

Fruit is definitely out as is fresh veggies.

Sorry, not sure about coffee. We just bring bottled water for drinking.

SW

In most ports, I've see cups of coffee not allowed. But, certainly, bottled water is. And not necessarily sealed bottled water - personal water bottles just filled onboard. Although there was one port where only sealed bottles were allowed off.

In most ports, I've see cups of coffee not allowed. But, certainly, bottled water is. And not necessarily sealed bottled water - personal water bottles just filled onboard. Although there was one port where only sealed bottles were allowed off.
I’m glad I found this out before my cruise. I’ve only done Nassau once and we were only off the ship for a few hours but this time we’re doing a beach day so that’s why I’m trying to figure out what I’m able to bring. It’s good the resort we’re going to has a Starbucks. Mmmm pumpkin spice latte. :dogdance:

They have ginger ale in the drink station now? That picture I took was during the galley tour, and it was the fountain drink station for the dining room, not on deck.
Agree with the other posters. They had ginger ale available at the drink stations on deck 11 on the Fantasy last month. It was the first time in 12 cruises that I've gone looking for it b/c of the ship's motion.

Agree with the other posters. They had ginger ale available at the drink stations on deck 11 on the Fantasy last month. It was the first time in 12 cruises that I've gone looking for it b/c of the ship's motion.
It is good that they have it readily available out on deck, as that prevents people from having to get it from room service as their only option. Much quicker and easier for someone to go and get it on deck.

I'm a little late here but this is a great thread!

1 If it rains at CC, wait it out a little bit. It could just be a passing shower. DH and I waited out a downpour (at the restroom entrances) on our recent cruise. This left us with an empty beach and empty bar once it passed. We got another hour or so on the island.

2. On rotational menu nights you can order from other restaurant menus. Also, you can almost always get Caesar Salads in the dining room even though they are not on the menu.

3. Fish Extenders are a lot of work. I've participated twice when we had cruise groups where we all had met on line and gotten to know each other throughout months (a year plus) of chatting pretty much daily. We enjoyed our cruise, having fun with each other and sharing little gifts. There is no way I could be bothered doing all that work just for the reason of participating with strangers.

4. Talk to the bartenders if they have down time, when sitting at the bar. This sort of thing hasn't been planned, it just sort of happens, but we have gotten to know some great people, learned about their homes and families, and really enjoy our time at the bar. Twice now at the Cove Bar the head bartender and one of the helpers (2 different ships/sets of bartenders) have provided some of the best entertainment on the ship.

I was pleasantly surprised by the steak sandwich. Grilled onions always help.

I saw this and had to comment. DH ordered this on a whim on our last cruise. You would have though he had the best food of his life the way he was raving about this sandwich. :laughing: I think this has become his must do. :goodvibes

• Don't be stubborn, take bonine starting the day before
  • Fish Extenders aren't for me
  • Eat before you do multiple tastings in a row
  • Don't go to the gift shops after you do multiple tastings in a row :rotfl:
  • Always book a placeholder
  • Personally, I have no need or desire to get off in Nassau
  • Bring a watch
  • I climb stairs a lot more willingly when a good spot for sail away is on the line :rotfl2:

We know we can't afford concierge on a regular basis. We will scrimp and save to do it one time, probably on a shorter cruise, just to say we did it. We normally do inside on short cruises and oceanview/verandah on longer, depending on the price.
We have only done concierge once. Did a 5 night out of Miami on the Wonder for my wife's 60th birthday. I checked on the price for one of the Royal suites and was surprised that it wasn't out of my budget. So we stayed in the Walt suite. Turns out that that was the first cruise on the Wonder that they were testing evening happy hours for concierge. We usually do verandah, but have also done inside staterooms since then. Not sure that I will spend the money on concierge on future cruises, especially seeing the current prices

Do you know all of the people in the picture. The woman in the white jacket standing behind Snow White looks like my wife. Which cruise was this take on?
Don't know any of the people. Snow White just happened by and dropped down by the little girl in the princess (Cinderella?) dress as we turned the corner.

It was on the Oct 2012 Hawaii cruise, out of LA.

I sure did. In the random book containing jewerly ads; it’s no wonder I missed it the last two times. :charac2:

I’ve pre-paid my gratuities already but I’ll likely give the servers and room attendant some more cash on the side. I figure $20-30 tip for Palo brunch. I plan on giving room service server $2 per dish or order based on how much and what I order.

Speaking of room service, do you have a favorite must-order dish?
It’s not a dish but... warm cookies and milk every single night at Bedtime for the kids, just because we can

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter